Teachers Tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sumithar
Contributor

Teachers Tournament

Post by sumithar »

Why does the logo on the apple say "TEACHERS TOURNAMENT" with no apostrophe? Shouldn't there be one after the S, TEACHERS' TOURNAMENT?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Teachers Tournament

Post by MarkBarrett »

sumithar wrote:Why does the logo on the apple say "TEACHERS TOURNAMENT" with no apostrophe? Shouldn't there be one after the S, TEACHERS' TOURNAMENT?
After that is solved then get the stores to agree on President's Day, Presidents Day or Presidents' Day.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

sumithar wrote:Why does the logo on the apple say "TEACHERS TOURNAMENT" with no apostrophe? Shouldn't there be one after the S, TEACHERS' TOURNAMENT?
It is a tournament of teachers, not a tournament belonging to teachers.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

Look at it this way: It's a tournament made up of teachers, not one possessed by them. I think it's fine without an apostrophe.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote:
Look at it this way: It's a tournament made up of teachers, not one possessed by them. I think it's fine without an apostrophe.
Possessed by teachers???!!!!

EVERYBODY RUN!! They'll make you do homework!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

So same rules as Kids Week, Power Players Week and the Tournament of Champions when it comes to apostrophes then.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:So same rules as Kids Week, Power Players Week and the Tournament of Champions when it comes to apostrophes then.
Except the rest of them don't make you do homework.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote:After that is solved then get the stores to agree on President's Day, Presidents Day or Presidents' Day.
Where I live, we can't even get the grocery stores to leave off the apostrophe before non-possessive plurals, as in "Banana's .59/pound".
davey

Post by davey »

Blue Lion wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:After that is solved then get the stores to agree on President's Day, Presidents Day or Presidents' Day.
Where I live, we can't even get the grocery stores to leave off the apostrophe before non-possessive plurals, as in "Banana's .59/pound".
This is one of the banes of contemporary usage. It's not just grocery stores, it's a pervasive wrong-headedness that believes somehow that words ending in vowel sounds, and proper names (in particular), require apostrophes to make plurals. Not to mention the inability to distinguish a contraction from a pronoun. I don't remember this being so common when I was a kid.
Last edited by davey on Wed May 04, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:So same rules as Kids Week, Power Players Week and the Tournament of Champions when it comes to apostrophes then.
Not really. Tournament of Champions would never take an apostrophe. The other two could, it's just not necessary.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:
Not really. Tournament of Champions would never take an apostrophe. The other two could, it's just not necessary.
I wouldn't say they could. Or, rather, I would say they couldn't. Putting an apostrophe on either of the others is akin to changing the name of the Tournament of Champions to the Tournament owned by Champions.

Brian

davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
davey wrote:
I wouldn't say they could. Or, rather, I would say they couldn't. Putting an apostrophe on either of the others is akin to changing the name of the Tournament of Champions to the Tournament owned by Champions.

Brian
It's arguable. In sports, you wouldn't refer to the men tournament or the women tournament, you'd add a possessive. Those men or women don't own the tournament either. Isn't the relationship of teachers to tournament the same?
Here's another example: Iowa Writers' Workshop - "owned" by the University of Iowa, but made up of, for writers.
But as I said above, I have no problem leaving the apostrophe out, and thinking of the phrase's structure (phrase structure?) differently.