Monday, May 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7296, 2016-05-09

2016 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 1.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Nicole Throckmorton, a 11th grade English and creative writing teacher from Williamsburg, Virginia
Kaberi Chakrabarty, an elementary bilingual teacher from Joliet, Illinois
Peter Buchholz, a 6th grade U.S. history and language arts teacher from Minneapolis, Minnesota

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for that warm welcome. You are most kind. Let me begin by telling all of you on behalf of our Jeopardy! staff that we are absolutely thrilled that we get to spend the next two weeks in this marvelous venue in the heart of our nation's capital. It's going to be an exciting time. First of all, the deciding games in the Teachers Tournament. Then we're back next Monday to begin Power Players Week. But today, the first semifinal in the Teachers Tournament, which means that only one of these three people--Nicole, Kaberi, or Peter--get to come back later this week to play for $100,000. Good luck to you. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. And now let's find out what the categories are. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AT THE SMITHSONIAN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FILL IN THE AUTHOR (5/5)
CURRENT EVENTS (5/5)
BONES (3/4)
TOOTING YOUR OWN HORN (5/5)
SILENT K (5/5) (Alex: And finally, there will be a silent "K" in each correct response in that category.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Peter: 16 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Nicole: 11 R, 1 W
Kaberi: 1 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Peter found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Peter had $1,000, Kaberi was scoreless, and Nicole was at $1,000. Peter made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

AT THE SMITHSONIAN $1000: In the 1870s, this firearms company began turning out a new product--typewriters like the one seen here

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Peter: $3,800
Nicole: $2,400
Kaberi: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nicole Throckmorton, this is almost like coming home for you. How far away from D.C. do you live?

Nicole: I live in Williamsburg, Virginia, which--if traffic's good--is under three hours.

Alex: Okay. Now, the entire group had an opportunity in the last couple of days to see some of the important sights in Washington, including the White House. Had you been there before?

Nicole: No.

Alex: Oh! What was memorable about this visit?

Nicole: Well, I really loved rounding the corner into the gallery and seeing the Kennedy portrait. That was my--my favorite part of it.

Alex: Okay. Good to have you back with us.

Alex: Kaberi Chakrabarty is from Joliet, Illinois. And is it true that one of your students thought you spoke cat?

Kaberi: It is true. It was a first-grader. And he was telling a story about how he was pulling a cat's tail. And I'm a bilingual teacher, so I speak to them in Spanish and English. And I pointed out to him that if the cat was meowing, that the cat was probably telling him "Don't do that. Stop that." And he thought about that for a moment, and he asked me, "Maestra, do you speak cat?"

[Laughter]

Kaberi: 'Cause he figures I speak Spanish, I speak English--I speak cat.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Alex: Peter Buccholz. The Farmers Insurance company grant that you are going to be spending--it sounds to me like you're doing interior decoration in your classroom. What exactly are you going to do?

Peter: Yeah, well, I'm gonna use the money to buy some furniture to create kind of collaborative working spaces. So, one thing I'm gonna get is a kidney table with a whiteboard surface on it so I can do coaching sessions. I'm gonna have some stand-up desks in the back of the room and then some modular desks that I can kind of push around and group in different--

Alex: And you have room for all of this?

Peter: Uh, it's gonna be tight, but I hope so.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BONES $800: These S-curved bones articulate medially with the breastbone & with the tops of the shoulders
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Peter: $8,400
Nicole: $5,800
Kaberi: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN WORLD LEADERS (3/5)
"A" & "B" MOVIES (5/5)
WHAT'S MY LION? (5/5)
MYTHOLOGY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ASIAN CAPITAL CITIES (4/5)
YOU'RE SO POSSESSIVE! (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kaberi: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Peter: 7 R, 2 W
Nicole: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kaberi snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Peter had $15,200, Kaberi had $9,400, and Nicole was at $10,600. Kaberi wagered $6,400.

MYTHOLOGY $2000: Greek gods swore their most sacred oaths in the name of this daughter of Oceanus & her river

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kaberi who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Peter had $15,600, Kaberi had $18,600, and Nicole was at $9,400. Kaberi wagered $8,000.

YOU'RE SO POSSESSIVE! $1200: Proverbial expression for a situation where you are only offered one selection
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN WORLD LEADERS $800: Family name of the current president of South Korea, whose father was assassinated when he was president

WOMEN WORLD LEADERS $1200: Nicknamed "Iron Erna", PM Erna Solberg is also the head of this political party in Norway

ASIAN CAPITAL CITIES $1600: Dating from before the year 1, Tashkent, the capital of this "stan", is one of the oldest cities of Central Asia
(Nicole: What is Turkmenistan?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kaberi: $26,600
Peter: $15,600
Nicole: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LEGISLATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Kaberi: Wager $4,601 to cover Peter, but no more than $7,799 so as not to fall behind Nicole's doubled score.
Peter: You have the hope of surpassing Kaberi if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $11,001 to force Kaberi to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Nicole.
Nicole: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The original law called this was passed in 1944; today, there's a "Post-9/11" version that also pays for 36 months of university education

FINAL SCORES
Nicole: $9,400 + $9,400 = $18,800 (What is the G.I. Bill?) (3rd place)
Peter: $15,600 + $7,500 = $23,100 (What is the GI Bill) (2nd place)
Kaberi: $26,600 + $4,601 = $31,201 (What is the GI Bill?) (Finalist)
(Alex: Since this is the first day of competition in Washington, D.C., we thought it would be a great idea to have somebody who is known and very popular as a teacher deliver the Final Jeopardy! clue. Would you please welcome Dr. Jill Biden?)
[Dr. Jill Biden reads the clue.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Peter: $15,600, 23 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Kaberi: $15,400, 13 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Nicole: $9,400, 17 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Peter: 24/59 = .407
Nicole: 18/58 = .310
Kaberi: 14/60 = .233
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AT THE SMITHSONIAN $200: The compass seen here was used on this pair's 1804-1806 expedition

AT THE SMITHSONIAN $400: The evening gown worn by this first lady to her first state dinner was created by Oleg Cassini, one of her favorite designers

AT THE SMITHSONIAN $600: Here's the mask worn by Clayton Moore as this character on 1950s TV

AT THE SMITHSONIAN $800: Weighing in at 45.52 karats, it was donated to the Smithsonian by Harry Winston in 1958

FILL IN THE AUTHOR $1000: Clive ____ Lewis
(Nicole: What is Sinclair?)

TOOTING YOUR OWN HORN $400: This trumpeter helped shape jazz as we know it today

TOOTING YOUR OWN HORN $600: This man, son of Ellis & brother of Branford, was given his first trumpet by Al Hirt
(Nicole: Who is Marsalis?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

CURRENT EVENTS $800: The April 2016 leak of records of hidden overseas accounts was called this Central American country's "Papers"
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go.)

WOMEN WORLD LEADERS $400: This European leader is seen here as she looked early in her political career

"A" & "B" MOVIES $400: A popular game inspired the new movie about this title group, starring Jason Sudeikis as Red

"Beak! Wing! Tail!
Ribs! Giblets!
Ugh. Pluck my life."

ASIAN CAPITAL CITIES $1200: This capital of Bangladesh is in the heart of the world's largest jute-growing region
(Peter: What is Phnom Penh?)
(Kaberi: What is Takka?)
(Alex: "Takka" is acceptable.)

ASIAN CAPITAL CITIES $2000: Tango & Cheri are important Buddhist monasteries near Thimphu in this Himalayan nation
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go now.)

YOU'RE SO POSSESSIVE! $800: Lexicon & wordfinder are synonyms for this book first published in 1852
(Peter: What is a thesaurus?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Peter: Uh, Webster's thesaurus?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Remington
the clavicles
Styx
Hobson's choice
Park
the Conservative Party
Uzbekistan
the G.I. Bill
Lewis & Clark
Jacqueline Kennedy
the Lone Ranger
the Hope Diamond
Staples
Louis Armstrong
Wynton Marsalis
Panama
(Angela) Merkel
Angry Birds
Dhaka
Bhutan
Roget's thesaurus
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LEGISLATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The original law called this was passed in 1944; today there’s a “post-9/11” version that also pays for 36 months of university education

Peter Bucholz: 15600+7500=23100
Kaberi Chakrabarty: 26600+4601=31201 (Finalist)
Nicole Throckmorton: 9400+9400=18800

Correct response:
Spoiler
G.I. Bill
Daily Doubles
Peter: 1000+1000
Kaberi: 9400+6400
Kaberi: 18600+8000

Coryats
Peter: 15600
Kaberi: 15400
Nicole: 9400

Combined: 40,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

Kaberi's wager and get on that 3rd Daily Double was at a Michael Jordan level of clutch performance. I fully expected her to settle with the lead she already had, but instead she just locked out Nicole and crushed Peter. Color me impressed.
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Only had the first half of the J! round air in South Oklahoma City due to storm coverage.

Did the $1K clue in TOOTING THEIR OWN HORN refer to Chicago/their recent election to the RnRHOF?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The intro looked wrong without the frames around the contestants.

The name Robert Penn Warren, despite having 29 archive hits, rings absolutely no bells for me. Nothing seems particularly familiar or noteworthy in his rather skimpy Wikipedia article.

How the hell did I know Aslan, Androcles, and Elsa in the lion category?! Got all but whatever $1,200 was.

Have we ever had a guest FJ! clue reader before?

No guess on FJ! Can't say I've heard of the GI Bill.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

A terrific game despite that Teen Tournament-worthy Final Jeopardy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Is there some reason we should know Norwegian political parties without the slightest bit of a hint?

Instaget FJ.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Kaberi on becoming a finalist. I had 48 correct responses including two triple stumpers: clavicles and Park. I also got FJ.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

skrambler wrote:Kaberi's wager and get on that 3rd Daily Double was at a Michael Jordan level of clutch performance. I fully expected her to settle with the lead she already had, but instead she just locked out Nicole and crushed Peter. Color me impressed.
Before Double, I was thinking that it'd be critical for Kaberi to find the Daily Doubles (duh) for no other reason than to take them away from Peter and Nicole. She certainly did that and then some. And I was shaking my head when Peter went to the top of the last category (and after the time warning, no less).

A slight departure from normal FJ! protocol, as the clue didn't appear on screen as Dr. Biden read it. Nonetheless, "legislation" + "1944" got me to 90% certain, and the words "post-9/11" provided the last 10%. I left the Navy right as the Post 9/11 GI Bill came into effect, and made extensive use of it.

I was looking back over the general D.C. thread this afternoon - I take it "Dhaka" was the clue that caused the long stop-down?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Have we ever had a guest FJ! clue reader before?

No guess on FJ! Can't say I've heard of the GI Bill.

Yes. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) read an FJ! during the 2004 Power Players week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Only had the first half of the J! round air in South Oklahoma City due to storm coverage.

Did the $1K clue in TOOTING THEIR OWN HORN refer to Chicago/their recent election to the RnRHOF?
I think it was about Springsteen's saxist.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Gutsy move by Kaberi on that DD. I'd have bet small, which would have been good as I missed it, along with Styx.

Very easy FJ. I did not know she was a teacher. Can we get her hubby to run in November?
jsterlacci
Contributor

Post by jsterlacci »

econgator wrote:Is there some reason we should know Norwegian political parties without the slightest bit of a hint?

Instaget FJ.
The 'Iron Lady' thing was a hint.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:Is there some reason we should know Norwegian political parties without the slightest bit of a hint?
Yeah, that was a weird one.

I very hesitatingly said "Conservative Party", but I don't think I would have rung in on the show.

The clue mentioned a person's nickname that contained the word "iron", so I thought: iron --> Iron Lady --> Thatcher --> Conservative???

But I agree it was a strange one.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I didn't watch the show today since I saw it live, but yes, Dhaka caused the long stoppage. Instaget FJ, and it was cool to see Mrs. Biden.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I couldn't believe that FJ, especially after last week when there were some tricky questions. As the rounds of a tournament progress, shouldn't the questions get harder?
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Is it just me, or was Alex imitating the wrong star of Apocalypse Now?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

skullturf wrote:
Yeah, that was a weird one.

I very hesitatingly said "Conservative Party", but I don't think I would have rung in on the show.

The clue mentioned a person's nickname that contained the word "iron", so I thought: iron --> Iron Lady --> Thatcher --> Conservative???

But I agree it was a strange one.
I might have guessed that on a DD, but I'd never ring in unless I was desperately behind. It is one that makes sense when you see the right question and make that connection, but a bit hard to make the connection.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I liked the acoustics in the Constitution Hall.

The clues seemed appropriately stepped-up in difficulty for a semifinal round (I thought a few of the clues like Styx, which was an impressive get by Kaberi, were tougher than what would be seen on normal boards) . . . and then we get an absolute cupcake of a FJ. Anyway, congrats to Kebari on advancing; she earned it.

P.S. Today was another reminder of the importance to contestants of memorizing world capitals. $2,000 and control of the board were available to anyone who knew that Tashkent was the capital of Uzbekistan, and went unclaimed.

Speaking of world capitals, I never knew that Dhaka could be pronounced with an initial "T" sound.

I felt like the difficulty levels seemed out of order in the "women world leaders" category. The $800 Norwegian clue has already been mentioned. Also, is there any particular reason that people should have been more familiar with the leader of South Korea (who was valued at $1,200) than Dilma Rousseff of Brazil? And I thought Benazir Bhutto, who's a trivia chestnut, was overvalued at $1,600.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon May 09, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide