Monday, May 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, May 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

OSXpert wrote:I didn't watch the show today since I saw it live, but yes, Dhaka caused the long stoppage. Instaget FJ, and it was cool to see Mrs. Biden.
That was the one. I thought it was close to a half-hour, but it was probably shorter than that. Hence why there was applause after that response.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kaberi's short DD history was 2000+1000 in the J! round. Tonight's plays told quite a different story. With an easy FJ! clue it's important to have the lead in a semifinal game. Mission accomplished and then some.

It happens all the time on J! that there is a category to go with a DD still in play. What does the player with control do? Picks the top clue. Peter may have missed the DD anyway with a strategic drop down. As the category played out Nicole had a shot at finding the DD as well, but it was not in the $800 box. Peter had another shot at finding that DD, but was unable to convert the BMS on the thesaurus. Kaberi capitalized well on the rebound and DD find.

The audience got their "money's worth" with an exciting game and big bets.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Yeah that Dhaka/taca thing created like a twenty minute delay. I'm surprised it was edited together so smoothly.

I clearly heard Taca at first, and Alex heard the same, so he asked her to say it again...which she again said Taca. Alex rules against her and Nicole gets time to ring in but chooses not too. Then they stop play. At one point Harry Friedman goes over to the lecterns to talk to Khaberi. She says "I said Dhaka. I said Dhaka." Then they replay the audio again for everyone to hear and it's clearly..."taca."
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

cf1140 wrote:Yeah that Dhaka/taca thing created like a twenty minute delay. I'm surprised it was edited together so smoothly.

I clearly heard Taca at first, and Alex heard the same, so he asked her to say it again...which she again said Taca. Alex rules against her and Nicole gets time to ring in but chooses not too. Then they stop play. At one point Harry Friedman goes over to the lecterns to talk to Khaberi. She says "I said Dhaka. I said Dhaka." Then they replay the audio again for everyone to hear and it's clearly..."taca."
Wait, Clint - you were in DC? Did you see both the semis and the finals? I had no idea you were there!

I was immensely proud of how Peter, Kaberi, and Nicole played in this game. I think they made teachers and the tournament look good! It was an exciting game, made even more exciting for me this time with the edit shortening it up. I was on ice that game, waiting to play for either Tuesday or Wednesday.

I thought the Jill Biden clue was awesome and totally fit the venue. At the time, I thought they would be looking for "GI Bill of Rights," which I believe is what the exhibit at the Smithsonian American History Museum had called it when I visited the day before. I hope that would have been accepted at least.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,200
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Uzbekistan

Great game. WTG Kaberi with the dual DD daggers. FJ! was unnecessarily simple, though. Had they just cut it off after "...'post-9/11' version," it would have been fine. Adding in the bit about paying for education makes it a mega-gimme.

NHO Hobson's choice, though I feel like I should have. Also NHO Styx as a mythological being, but I WAGged it since I had nothing better for mythology + river.
Sprinkles are for winners.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: NHO Hobson's choice, though I feel like I should have. Also NHO Styx as a mythological being, but I WAGged it since I had nothing better for mythology + river.
I also had never heard of it, and proverbs/sayings are something that I usually know. I've got trite covered! And I never would have gotten Styx, though of course, I know the river and the rock band.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Have we ever had a guest FJ! clue reader before?

No guess on FJ! Can't say I've heard of the GI Bill.

Yes. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) read an FJ! during the 2004 Power Players week.
J! is nothing but bipartisan. (Although I'm sure it's more accurately "non-partisan".) I'll make it a True Daily Double someone is complaining somewhere (most likely, J!'s official Facebook page) that they brought in a Democrat to read the clue.
hbomb1947 wrote:I felt like the difficulty levels seemed out of order in the "women world leaders" category. The $800 Norwegian clue has already been mentioned. Also, is there any particular reason that people should have been more familiar with the leader of South Korea (who was valued at $1,200) than Dilma Rousseff of Brazil? And I thought Benazir Bhutto, who's a trivia chestnut, was overvalued at $1,600.
Definite agreement here. World leaders is a wheelhouse of mine but there was no way to guess that Norway one logically (other than the "iron lady" tip mentioned earlier, but that's really just a stab in the dark in the lack of a proper TOM). I guessed "Labour" as that's the only Norwegian political party I know, due to the mass murder in Norway a few years ago on the camp for young Labour members.

Most of y'all are saying that it was easy, but my nationality might've had something to do with it as I've never heard of the "GI Bill" (and if I had, wouldn't' have thought it had to do with education) and guessed "No Child Left Behind" (which I thought came in around 9/11). bpmod, boson, grindcore, speak up my fellow Canucks! Have you heard of the "GI Bill"? Did you get Final right?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
Most of y'all are saying that it was easy, but my nationality might've had something to do with it as I've never heard of the "GI Bill" (and if I had, wouldn't' have thought it had to do with education) and guessed "No Child Left Behind" (which I thought came in around 9/11). bpmod, boson, grindcore, speak up my fellow Canucks! Have you heard of the "GI Bill"? Did you get Final right?
It must have been a national holiday for you the previous time it came up on J!? :)

#7168, aired 2015-11-11 VETERANS $400: (Eric Stonestreet gives the clue.) The American Legion was a key player in the 1944 passage of this legislation that enabled millions of World War II vets to attend college & buy homes
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

JillyJill wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: NHO Hobson's choice, though I feel like I should have. Also NHO Styx as a mythological being, but I WAGged it since I had nothing better for mythology + river.
I also had never heard of it, and proverbs/sayings are something that I usually know. I've got trite covered! And I never would have gotten Styx, though of course, I know the river and the rock band.
And then, roughly a half-hour after I post that, I see this article in my Facebook feed: Trump or Clinton -- a Hobson's Choice? The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon is alive and well.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and I was also very impressed to see something so recent as the Panama Papers make it on J!. I mean, I know exactly when this was taped (advantages of being a fan of the show), but still it was a shock to me. I can only imagine the show to the average viewer ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, and I was also very impressed to see something so recent as the Panama Papers make it on J!. I mean, I know exactly when this was taped (advantages of being a fan of the show), but still it was a shock to me. I can only imagine the show to the average viewer ...
Very impressed. Also momentarily surprised, but only because it had slipped my mind how recently these games were taped. Plus, when the story broke, I made a mental note of it, but didn't really care (various political leaders are corrupt crooks? I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya...)
hbomb1947 wrote:I felt like the difficulty levels seemed out of order in the "women world leaders" category. The $800 Norwegian clue has already been mentioned. Also, is there any particular reason that people should have been more familiar with the leader of South Korea (who was valued at $1,200) than Dilma Rousseff of Brazil? And I thought Benazir Bhutto, who's a trivia chestnut, was overvalued at $1,600.
Bhutto gave me brief pause since up until that clue, I thought the entire category was going to be current world leaders (I got it right anyway). Park was a "common Korean name" WAG that I probably wouldn't have made in a real game unless it was a DD.

Near-instaget FJ.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

JillyJill wrote: I thought the Jill Biden clue was awesome and totally fit the venue. At the time, I thought they would be looking for "GI Bill of Rights," which I believe is what the exhibit at the Smithsonian American History Museum had called it when I visited the day before. I hope that would have been accepted at least.
Of course it would. One of many references can be found on the Department of Veterans Affairs site:

"The Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 — commonly known as the GI Bill of Rights — nearly stalled in Congress as members of the House and Senate debated provisions of the controversial bill."
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Speaking of world capitals, I never knew that Dhaka could be pronounced with an initial "T" sound.
Perhaps Kaberi, being Bong, pronounced it the authentic Bengali way! I think she did it tongue-in-cheek, knowing it was going to throw the judges into a minor tizzy.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $32,200
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Uzbekistan

Great game. WTG Kaberi with the dual DD daggers. FJ! was unnecessarily simple, though. Had they just cut it off after "...'post-9/11' version," it would have been fine. Adding in the bit about paying for education makes it a mega-gimme.
I thought the final part made it a little harder, due to - once again - weird wording. What's also doing in there? The G.I. Bill was always about education benefits...that also pays for 36 months of university education makes it sound like an addition to what the legislation was known for. I didn't hesitate long, but I did wonder if I was missing something...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was unfair they had a lion category in a game where one player spoke cat.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:It was unfair they had a lion category in a game where one player spoke cat.
They're entirely different dialects.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It was unfair they had a lion category in a game where one player spoke cat.
They're entirely different dialects.
Lions can't even purr
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Most of y'all are saying that it was easy, but my nationality might've had something to do with it as I've never heard of the "GI Bill" (and if I had, wouldn't' have thought it had to do with education) and guessed "No Child Left Behind" (which I thought came in around 9/11). bpmod, boson, grindcore, speak up my fellow Canucks! Have you heard of the "GI Bill"? Did you get Final right?
Yes. No.

Although I have heard of the G.I. Bill, I had no idea what it is, nor did I know that there was a post 9/11 version. In fact, I always wondered why there would be a law pertaining to gastrointestinal issues. Also, I did not remember the clue from just a few months ago.

Due to the above, I had no hope of getting this FJ! correct.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote: Most of y'all are saying that it was easy, but my nationality might've had something to do with it as I've never heard of the "GI Bill" (and if I had, wouldn't' have thought it had to do with education) and guessed "No Child Left Behind" (which I thought came in around 9/11). bpmod, boson, grindcore, speak up my fellow Canucks! Have you heard of the "GI Bill"? Did you get Final right?
I got it almost instantly, after a precalling "no child left behind", but realized that would be pandering to the teachers. To be fair to you, I did live and play lots of trivia in the US, so my experience may be different.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
JillyJill wrote:
And then, roughly a half-hour after I post that, I see this article in my Facebook feed: Trump or Clinton -- a Hobson's Choice? The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon is alive and well.
Similar to the G.I. Bill, it's not like "Hobson's Choice" hasn't come up before, and shouldn't have been familiar to people who've been watching the show since at least 2013:

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

ETA: Here's a request to MarkBarrett to poll "Hobson's Choice." :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide