Friday, May 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1790 a deal made Washington the nation’s capital; the room where it happened was at Jefferson’s house & negotiators included Madison & this cabinet member

Correct response:
Spoiler
Alexander Hamilton

Melissa Harris-Perry: 5000+1000=6000 ($10,000)
David Gregory: 5800+5800=11600 ($11,600)
Matthew Weiner: 12600+900=13500 ($50,000)

Daily Doubles
Melissa: 400+400
Matthew: 5400+3000
Matthew: 15600-3000

Coryats
Melissa: 5400
David: 5800
Matthew: 14200

Combined: 25,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri May 20, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, May 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

For those Power Players Week haters:

https://youtu.be/HLyX4DbE6Hc
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not a great game, but better than Tuesday. At least David made the right wager for his charity. The other two's wagers didn't matter.

I got FJ pretty quickly. No reason to suspect it was him over the other cabinet members, but he is the best known and is hot right now from the musical and thus is celeb week so who else could it be?

I guessed right, but why Woodward and not Bernstein?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ pretty quickly. No reason to suspect it was him over the other cabinet members, but he is the best known and is hot right now from the musical and thus is celeb week so who else could it be?
Never made that connection. Is it otherwise a well-known fact that he was there? I figured Monroe as Secretary of State was.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

What was with the Jeopardy! round today? The contestants sped through that pretty quickly, yet there were still ten clues left at the end.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got FJ pretty quickly. No reason to suspect it was him over the other cabinet members, but he is the best known and is hot right now from the musical and thus is celeb week so who else could it be?
Never made that connection. Is it otherwise a well-known fact that he was there? I figured Monroe as Secretary of State was.
It said 1790. Jefferson was Secretary of State then.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
It said 1790. Jefferson was Secretary of State then.
Oops.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote:Not a great game, but better than Tuesday. At least David made the right wager for his charity. The other two's wagers didn't matter.

I got FJ pretty quickly. No reason to suspect it was him over the other cabinet members, but he is the best known and is hot right now from the musical and thus is celeb week so who else could it be?

"The Room Where It Happened" was a massive blinking-light TOM. I'd say it was the biggest TOM of Season 32.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Not a great game, but better than Tuesday. At least David made the right wager for his charity. The other two's wagers didn't matter.

"The Room Where It Happened" was a massive blinking-light TOM. I'd say it was the biggest TOM of Season 32.
Not if you know zero about the musical it isn't, which is all on me, certainly.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:

Not if you know zero about the musical it isn't, which is all on me, certainly.
So it was a Broadway question disguised as US History.

No problem here.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A black lives matter plug, use of the word queer and a Bible category. J! Facebook will be fun tonight.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

I was thrilled to see the clue about Andy Weir's excellent novel "The Martian." The movie was good too, but the book was the best I've read for a long, long time, and I LOVE its publishing history. (It started out as a blog!)
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:"The Room Where It Happened" was a massive blinking-light TOM. I'd say it was the biggest TOM of Season 32.
Provided you know who Woodward and Berinstein are, which I don't really in any other sense than "some dude who did a thing".

Then again, "Annapurna" was supposed to be a "massive blinking-light TOM" to "The Himalayas", despite only 5 prior archive hits. Still think that one was undervalued.

====

I'm surprised at how easily most of you guys are demolishing these boards, because I feel like I'm only struggling even harder. Maybe it's the extra dosage of political and historical clues.

Surprised myself by running the Music category, however.

Lach Trash on "Mad Anthony" Wayne, because I knew there's a road named after him in Toledo.

No guess on FJ!, so I have the dishonor of a goose egg on Power Players Week. Couldn't even think of a valid guess.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Bamaman wrote:A black lives matter plug, use of the word queer and a Bible category. J! Facebook will be fun tonight.
Yeah. WTH do TPTB let these people use the show as a vehicle to push their agenda?! :evil: Terribad. This is family game show time. Now I had to explain all this nonsense to my kid.

44R, Instaget FJ without having seen Hamilton. Should be a poll IMHO! LT: Sherman; Circus Circus; Carl Sagan. Correctly pronounced Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
NB: TPTB gave credit for saying; "Lou-ize" which has been ruled incorrect before, come on judges, some consistency PLEASE! :!: :roll: Gonna boycott J!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Bamaman wrote:A black lives matter plug, use of the word queer and a Bible category. J! Facebook will be fun tonight.
And the word "intersectional"!

Category title ("Not Great, Bob!").

$31,200, with 37/1 (VFW, like David) and getting Janet Jackson without needing the musical cue.

As for "who else could it be"? Well, I reckoned it was someone representing the North, and remembered that John Adams was Washington's VP. I Tweeted that out, and OntarioQuizzer responded: "like seriously have you been living under a rock for the last 18 months? :("
After I explained that like econgator, I haven't heard a second of Hamilton save for the tie-in category earlier in the season, he apologized.

The frustration for me here is not even being able to get to a coin flip between Adams and Hamilton. And it's not like today's cabinet - back then, there was the Vice President and four department heads. Oh well - leaves me with a 2-for-5 on the FJs despite averaging $30,600.

Final numbers on unrevealed clues: 5, 20, 10, 18, 11, for an average of 12.8.
(For comparison, the last Power Players Week in 2012: 11, 12, 14, 10, 10 - average 11.4.)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Bamaman wrote:I guessed right, but why Woodward and not Bernstein?
The category title mentioned the name "Bob".
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

Bugging me - why couldn't the answer be Jefferson? He's there, too, if stage directions are to be believed :)