Friday, May 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

I actually blew the final Jeopardy. I thought of Alexander Hamilton, but went with John Adams. Probably should have guessed they would make a veiled reference to the musical, though.
Vowela wrote:What was with the Jeopardy! round today? The contestants sped through that pretty quickly, yet there were still ten clues left at the end.
Likely a combination of Melissa's interview portion combined with several moments of banter/laughter between contestants.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got FJ pretty quickly. No reason to suspect it was him over the other cabinet members, but he is the best known and is hot right now from the musical and thus is celeb week so who else could it be?
Never made that connection. Is it otherwise a well-known fact that he was there? I figured Monroe as Secretary of State was.
No, but it asked for another cabinet member. Jefferson was State, Hamilton was Treasury. I figure half of us could pull the War Secretary out of the aether and the first Attorney General would rank single digits. Zero change they'd ask for those last two during Power Players.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote: NB: TPTB gave credit for saying; "Lou-ize" which has been ruled incorrect before, come on judges, some consistency PLEASE! :!: :roll: Gonna boycott J!
It got past Alex, but TPTB surely would have set things right if he hadn't corrected his own pronunciation before selecting the next clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double D was not enough for me on the Guy Fieri show as I had the Diners and Dives, but could not recall Drive-Ins in time. Grrr! What would have been a great YouTube moment would have been for someone to go for all three, but miss with Dumpsters in the mix.

Yes, Bob Woodward in NOT GREAT, BOB! was the way to go in a coin flip with Carl Bernstein. ;)

The wording of the FJ! clue: In 1790 a deal made Washington the nation’s capital; the room where it happened was at Jefferson’s house & negotiators included Madison & this cabinet member

I've seen the post wondering if it truly eliminates Jefferson as a correct response. What if someone had "Secretary of the Treasury" without "Hamilton?"
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: I've seen the post wondering if it truly eliminates Jefferson as a correct response. What if someone had "Secretary of the Treasury" without "Hamilton?"
It had Jefferson in the clue... *shrug*

Given it was Power Players, they might have taken it. Wouldn't fly in a regular game, though:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4845
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I've seen the post wondering if it truly eliminates Jefferson as a correct response. What if someone had "Secretary of the Treasury" without "Hamilton?"
Given it was Power Players, they might have taken it. Wouldn't fly in a regular game, though:
Not the same; the clue tonight said "this cabinet member."
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,400
43 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, William Tecumseh Sherman, Mad King Ludwig, Toto, Circus Circus, Carl Sagan, NAACP (DD)

I wasn't sure about FJ!, but given the recent ubiquity of Hamilton, I figured he had to be the guy.

Bring back our games!
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Interesting that Alex said at the end of Power Players Week that he will "see you here next year" (inferring they will be in Washington again in 2017) when at the beginning of the Teachers Tournament semifinals he said they come there once every four years (which makes sense yo come during an election year to focus on the attention on the nation's capital.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

Bamaman wrote:A black lives matter plug, use of the word queer and a Bible category. J! Facebook will be fun tonight.
I didn't know about this Facebook page and went over there. So much hate, yikes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I've seen the post wondering if it truly eliminates Jefferson as a correct response.
The clue didn't name Jefferson as a negotiator. It just mentioned that proceedings took place at his house. The clue may implicitly rule him out as a correct response, but not explicitly.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

It was delightful to see D.C. mayor Muriel Bowser reading the FJ clue. I get so tired of the synecdoche in which Washington means everything evil. (Hope I used that word right. There are so few opportunities to use it in a sentence, I couldn't resist the attempt.)
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

sumithar wrote:
Bamaman wrote:A black lives matter plug, use of the word queer and a Bible category. J! Facebook will be fun tonight.
I didn't know about this Facebook page and went over there. So much hate, yikes!
Hate and ignorance. People claiming that all the contestants were liberals (did they actually watch any episodes? :roll:) and completely unaware that the LGBT movement reclaimed 'queer' long ago and the word is now used as a positive identifier (LGBTQ).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I didn't hear that 'see you next year' over the applause. Great news!
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I've seen the post wondering if it truly eliminates Jefferson as a correct response.
The clue didn't name Jefferson as a negotiator. It just mentioned that proceedings took place at his house. The clue may implicitly rule him out as a correct response, but not explicitly.
No, it didn't explicitly rule him out. We have only our decades of experience with J! clue writing to rule him out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If it had been Jefferson, I think we'd have seen the biggest board meltdown ever.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

alietr wrote:I didn't hear that 'see you next year' over the applause. Great news!
Is it possible that Alex is using "year" and "season" interchangeably, and that he was referring to the Teen Tournament?
Volante wrote:

They may relax the judging standards a little bit, but not that much - to wit, the reversal on "Janet" Brewer. (I wasn't sure about it myself; I said Jan, as that's what she goes by, but didn't know what that was short for). The worst part was after David explicitly said he should have called her "Governor" in the interview, he negged again in the same way on Louis-Dreyfus!
brick

Post by brick »

mfc248 wrote:
alietr wrote:I didn't hear that 'see you next year' over the applause. Great news!
Is it possible that Alex is using "year" and "season" interchangeably, and that he was referring to the Teen Tournament?
Volante wrote:

They may relax the judging standards a little bit, but not that much - to wit, the reversal on "Janet" Brewer. (I wasn't sure about it myself; I said Jan, as that's what she goes by, but didn't know what that was short for). The worst part was after David explicitly said he should have called her "Governor" in the interview, he negged again in the same way on Louis-Dreyfus!
I noticed that! I wonder if he wasn't certain where to draw the line and call it her last name. He also, I think called her Louise-Dreyfus rather than Louis-Dreyfus, which is why I thought he might not be certain whether Louis was part of her last name or a middle name she always uses.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

mfc248 wrote:
The frustration for me here is not even being able to get to a coin flip between Adams and Hamilton. And it's not like today's cabinet - back then, there was the Vice President and four department heads. Oh well - leaves me with a 2-for-5 on the FJs despite averaging $30,600.
I don't believe Washington included Adams in his cabinet, going so far as to exclude him from meetings. In those days, the VP was not the president's "running mate", and may well have been his opponent.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I blanked on FJ and threw out George Mason as a guess. This may not have any actual significance, but I wonder if remembering the connection between Alexander Hamilton and New York City, which was the former national capital, was also a TOM. Either way I was never going to make the connection in 30 seconds.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote:I blanked on FJ and threw out George Mason as a guess. This may not have any actual significance, but I wonder if remembering the connection between Alexander Hamilton and New York City, which was the former national capital, was also a TOM. Either way I was never going to make the connection in 30 seconds.
There's also the connection of Madison and Hamilton in the Federalist Papers (along with John Jay). I don't know if that played any role in the selection but it helped me.