Tuesday, June 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7317, 2016-06-07

CONTESTANTS
Robert Wood, a teacher originally from Twentynine Palms, California
Malavika Jagannathan, a marketing writer from Seattle, Washington
Stew Latwin, a Navy pilot originally from Rye, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Lieutenant Latwin doing the Navy proud. He's our champion. Today he faces Malavika and Robert. I like saying your name. Malavika. Sounds exotic. All right, good luck. Here we go. Now the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HALL OF FAME CATCHERS (5/5) (Alex: We're talking about baseball.)
ABBREV. (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A STATE OF WAR (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the U.S. state for us.)
A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING (5/5)
"BEAUTY" (4/5)
THE BEAST (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Robert!: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Stew: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Malavika: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Robert! found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Stew had $2,800, Malavika had $200, and Robert! was at $1,200. Robert! made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

ABBREV. $600: After a joint injury, you might have less:
ROM

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stew: $1,800
Robert!: $1,400
Malavika: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Robert Wood is a teacher from Twentynine Palms in Southern California. Robert!, quite often I am asked about a movie that was made in which, uh, Rosie Perez appeared--White Men Can't Jump. Now I mentioned that because I've been told that you can do a Rosie Perez impersonation.

Robert!: [Imitates Brooklyn accent] What is foods with--that start with the letter Q, Alex?

[Laughter]

Alex: Did you see the movie?

Robert!: Only several hundred times.

Alex: Okay. Well, you do it well.

Robert!: Thank you.

Alex: Malavika Jagannathan from Seattle, Washington. Lived for some time in one of the coldest countries in the world--Kazakhstan. What were you doing there?

Malavika: So I went to Astana, Kazakhstan, which is the capital of Kazakhstan, to work at a university there and, um, help students there with their writing. Um, spent a year there. It is the second coldest capital in the world, so...

Alex: Do you speak their language?

Malavika: I learned Russian in college, and I took a couple years of Kazakh, but I will say that my Kazakh is very, very little.

Alex: Okay, was it an overall pleasant experience?

Malavika: It was. I loved it.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

Alex: Stew Latwin, a Navy pilot originally from Rye, New York. A miscommunication led to you being rescued by the Italian navy? Or almost?

Stew: Almost rescued, Alex. I had just flown a medevac flight into Italy and went back to the ship where I was stationed. I thought everything was great. A few hours later, I get a call from my squadron in Norfolk asking, "Did we have people fly into Italy? And did they make it back to the ship safely?" Because Italy was about to launch a rescue mission for us.

Alex: Well, what happened? What...

Stew: Just some miscommunication. They never got word that we landed safely.

[Malavika chuckles.]

Stew: So I had to make some frantic phone calls assuring everyone that I was, in fact, alive and okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. "Yeah, we're here. Yeah, we're onboard. We're--we're good. We're good."

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ABBREV. $1000: Created by the Banking Act of 1933:
FDIC
(Stew: What is the Federal Deposit Insurance Company?)
(Robert!: What is the Federal Deposit Insurance Commission?)

"BEAUTY" $800: This hybrid is the official flower of Washington, D.C.

THE BEAST $1000: Accurate adjective in the name of this communal rodent
(Stew: What is tunneling?)
(Malavika: What is long-toothed?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Robert!: $5,400
Stew: $3,000
Malavika: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FROM NOAH WEBSTER'S 1828 DICTIONARY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BAYS & GULFS (4/5)
THEATRE TO THEATER (5/5)
AUTHORS' SHORT STORY COLLECTIONS (5/5)
MUSEUMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE PHONE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stew: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Robert!: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Malavika: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stew snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Stew had $5,000, Malavika had $4,200, and Robert! was at $10,200. Stew wagered $3,000.

FROM NOAH WEBSTER'S 1828 DICTIONARY $1200: "One versed in the science of government and the art of governing"; also "a man of artifice or deep contrivance"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Stew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Stew had $8,800, Malavika had $5,800, and Robert! was at $11,000. Stew wagered $3,200.

MUSEUMS $1600: The Bradbury Science Museum in this New Mexico city displays replicas of the 2 atomic bombs used in WWII

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BAYS & GULFS $2000: This gulf between Sweden & Finland is the largest arm of the Baltic Sea

FROM NOAH WEBSTER'S 1828 DICTIONARY $2000: "The doctrine, science, or art of sailing in the air, by means of a balloon"

THE PHONE $1200: Jamie Fuller created an app called this "Dialer" that lets you reach out & touch someone like it was the '70s

THE PHONE $400: Marshmallow is the name of the 6.0 version of this operating system that powers millions of smartphones
(Malavika: What is iOS?)
(Robert!: What is "Ios"?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stew: $14,800
Robert!: $14,600
Malavika: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC TV

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Stew: Wager $14,401 to cover Robert!.
Robert!: You have to wager $1,801 to cover Malavika's doubled score, but certainly no more than $6,399, so as to force Malavika to be right to have a chance at winning.
Malavika: Consider risking between $6,401 and $7,799. This will top a $0 wager by Robert! while still beating Stew on the Triple Stumper (should Stew wager to cover Robert!'s doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An authentic Bell H-13 Sioux air ambulance was used in the opening credits of this television series

FINAL SCORES
Malavika: $8,200 + $7,000 = $15,200 (What is M*A*S*H*?) (2nd place)
Robert!: $14,600 - $14,500 = $100 (What is emergency?) (3rd place)
Stew: $14,800 + $14,401 = $29,201 (What is MASH) (13401-day champion: $29,201)
(Alex: [To Malavika] During the Korean War.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Robert!: $14,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Stew: $11,400, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Malavika: $8,200, 15 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Robert!: 21/59 = .356
Stew: 18/60 = .300
Malavika: 16/58 = .276
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HALL OF FAME CATCHERS $600: As a Dodger, 1948-57, he set the career record for catchers, throwing out 57% of runners who tried to steal a base on him
(Robert!: Who is Campaneras?)

HALL OF FAME CATCHERS $800: This Negro Leaguer known for his titanic home runs died aged 35, 3 months before the major leagues were integrated
(Malavika: Who is Robinson?)

HALL OF FAME CATCHERS $1000: On June 13, 2005 the left field foul pole at Fenway Park was named for this Hall of Fame catcher
(Robert!: Who is Yogi Berra?)
(Alex: Yes. We're talking about Boston.)

THE BEAST $600: As on the coat of arms of Scotland, when an animal like a lion in heraldry is "rampant", it means it's doing this
[Robert! gave both listed reponses.]

AUTHORS' SHORT STORY COLLECTIONS $1200: First published in 1837, this New Englander's "Twice-Told Tales"
(Stew: Who is Melville?)

MUSEUMS $800: At the Egyptian Museum, you can see the present condition of many ancient rulers in the room named for these
(Stew: What are pharaohs?)

MUSEUMS $1200: A statue of King Olav V greets visitors to the Holmenkollen Ski Museum in this capital

THE PHONE $800: E.T. would enjoy the USO program called Operation this 2-word phrase, giving intl. calling cards to service members
(Malavika: What is Go Home?)

THE PHONE $2000: In 1878 George Coy used teapot lids to build the first of these panels used by operators & soon they were "lighting up"
(Malavika: What is a telephone board? What is a phone board?)
(Alex: Give me something else.)
(Malavika: What is a light-up telephone board?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
range of motion
the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
the American Beauty rose
naked
politican
Los Alamos
the Gulf of Bothnia
aeronautics
the rotary telephone
Android
M*A*S*H
(Roy) Campanella
Josh Gibson
Carlton Fisk
standing or rearing
Hawthorne
(royal) mummies
Oslo
Phone Home
a switchboard
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC TV

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An authentic Bell H-13 Sioux air ambulance was used in the opening credits of this television series

Stew Latwin: 14800+14401=29201 (2x = $42,601)
Malavika Jagannathan: 8200+7000=15200
Robert Wood: 14600-14500=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
M*A*S*H (Robert - Emergency)
Daily Doubles
Robert: 1200+1200
Stew: 5000+3000
Stew: 8800+3200

Coryats
Stew: 11400
Malavika: 8200
Robert: 14000

Combined: 33,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Dear Alex,

Some people have names that you may have never heard before. Don't act like a clown when saying them, please.

Regards,
Sam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ took a moment as I tried to think of a show that was about helicopter pilots. Then I came up with the right show and had time to include the asterisks.

Ran baseball and war states. I bet the J! Facebook page will light up tonight after a sports and military category with a helicopter FJ were obviously there to favor the military guy.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I thought that FJ was going to end with a bang, but instead it was a whimper. I don't there was ever a chopper in the opening montage of Emergency!, which, like Jeopardy!, was spelled with an exclamation point.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Battle of Germantown, and the only Germantown I know of is in TN.

Also NHO International Monetary Fund.

Lach Trash: Naked mole rat. Now I know these guys never watched Kim Possible.

I live less than an hour from Bay City, Michigan.

Webster's was so circuitously verbose that I couldn't understand any of the clues.

Even I was too young for the rotary phone clue. And then I whiffed on Android too. I think it's because I'm an iPhone user.

After a detour to "Emergency!", I managed to stumble my way into the correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:FJ took a moment as I tried to think of a show that was about helicopter pilots. Then I came up with the right show and had time to include the asterisks.
floridagator wrote: I don't there was ever a chopper in the opening montage of Emergency!, which, like Jeopardy!, was spelled with an exclamation point.
What part of the clue said "helicopter"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: What part of the clue said "helicopter"?
Air ambulance

I'd say "Bell", too, but they're known for airplanes as well as helos.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Super-instaget FJ. I was humming the theme song before Alex finished reading the clue. Almost makes me feel better about saying 'aviation' instead of aeronautics (almost...). If this one polls below 75%, I'll comfort myself with the fact that I watch too much TV, and try not to feel old.

Nice try with the Rosie Perez impression, but no Mount 'suvius? Get outta here.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Stew on his second win. I had 48 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, American Beauty rose, Gulf of Bothnia, rotary dial, and Android. I also got FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Surprised it wasn't a triple get, but since I've never heard of Emergency! I guess he was overthinking his options.

I hope I get a super wheelhouse final like the returning champ did if I'm ever on.
alamble

Post by alamble »

This is the first time I can lay claim to having pre-called FJ! Though I assumed they would ask about the record-setting ratings for the series finale, which remains one of the highest-rated non-sports TV broadcasts ever.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Did anyone notice that after Stew told his story, Alex did the motion of pretending to dial on a rotary phone, then did the same thing when the rotary dial clue came up?
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

So Alex got excited about the name Malavika being exotic, which I don't have a problem with, except it was the wrong pronunciation. I don't understand why Indians allow their name to be mispronounced, in fact they themselves pronounce it wrong like the girl with the same first name who won the spelling bee a few years back.
Malavika is pronounced Mɑ:lʌvɪkʌ in India (using IPA symbols) and I don't see any reason why Indians in America should stress the 2nd syllable!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I was born after the final episode of M*A*S*H aired, and FJ was still an instaget.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was born after the final episode of M*A*S*H aired, and FJ was still an instaget.
Same here.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

xxaaaxx wrote:Super-instaget FJ. I was humming the theme song before Alex finished reading the clue. Almost makes me feel better about saying 'aviation' instead of aeronautics (almost...). If this one polls below 75%, I'll comfort myself with the fact that I watch too much TV, and try not to feel old.
You might watch too much TV, but this was still a softball!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I've never even watched MASH and it was still an instaget. Anywho,

29R/3W
Coryat-$24,200
LT-aeronautics
DD-3/3
FJ-Instantly correct

It was rather generous for them to give Malavika three shots at "switchboard". And no, there is nothing wrong with Alex complimenting a name for sounding exotic.

Congratulations to the champ for a nice payday. He has already exceeded some of the expectations from yesterday. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert leaves with $1000 instead of $2000 with the miss on the FJ! clue. If he had solved the FJ! clue then he would left with a bunch of haunting moments to look back on more than once for letting the game get away. Even as is I suspect his errors in HALL OF FAME CATCHERS are still bugaboos.

Stew's DD wagering left money on the table, but the bets worked out well enough to give him a narrow lead for the FJ! round. He solved the clue to earn the repeat.

My solve on the clue was a little strange as I translated the vehicle to helicopter and had Blue Thunder pop in my head. Before Alex had finished reading the clue though I had got on track to write "MASH" and not fussing with the asterisks.

I've only seen Top Gun once and it was some time during the 2nd Reagan administration. The pilots had nicknames (or whatever the proper military term is for the monikers) and I was wondering if that was just a movie thing or if Stew would have one as well? If so, any way to find out Stew's flying name?

Tomorrow is NBA game #3 and KGO has J! listed for the early a.m., so I'll go to bed while visions of "SWEEP!" dance in my head.