Wednesday, July 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Discovered in 1535, this island group on the equator got perhaps its most famous visitor exactly 300 years later

Jason George: 13600-5601=7999
Sue Baker: 9600+9400=19000 (New Champ)
Benn Millman: 9400+9396=18796

Correct response:
Spoiler
Galapagos (Jason - Cook Islands)
Daily Doubles
Sue: 2000+2000
Jason: 4000+4000
Jason: 8000+4000

Coryats
Jason: 9200
Sue: 8200
Benn: 9400

Combined: 26,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Did not see that coming, Jason! Still, you won a couple of games and you allowed Sue Baker to have this moment in her life:

So that's not too bad.

I'm sad that we won't see Benn again. I liked his style.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What was Chris Farley doing on stage?

Ideologue was a huge difficulty spike in "Logue".

WLT "Europe" at $200? That was clearly undervalued given the cold buzzers.

4/5 in Peter, Last Name, and "Logue", missing gefilte, Barone, and Ideologue.

WLT aluminum, "na", or Poseidon at $400?

I thought the Foo Fighters category required rather specific knowledge.

Took me about 20 seconds to get it after chasing down the Darwin path, but I did get there.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT "na"?
Na Na Na Na Na Na - I'm not gonna tell you!

I had a pretty good game today, even guessing abolitionist correctly, but I was hoping that St. Helena snuck into the Western Hemisphere because Napoleon was in my head.

Edit: Apparently it IS in the Western Hemisphere, so I don't feel so bad.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Sue on her win; I enjoyed her reaction when she found out she'd won. I had 46 correct responses including these triple stumpers: idealogue, Europe, Jalisco, Charlemagne, imperialism, Louisa May Alcott, and Toni Morrison. I also got FJ.
ACW

Post by ACW »

WLT??
Also, for the Foo Fighters, maybe specialized; kinda surprised "Everlong" was the 2000 one; that's probably their most famous song.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

WDTN is usually one of the least likely Jeopardy! carrier stations to interrupt the show, but after the J! round, they butted in to announce that there might be a tornado about to hit the Dayton airport and we missed the first eleven clues of DJ! before the interruption stopped.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ. 50R.

NLT 11 LT: Ideologue (Hey, rhymes: demagogue, is there a pattern here?!); unification of Europe; Tequila = town in Jalisco (recenly in LL69!); Lou Hoover! No get on Charlie Harper although I've idly stared at 2.5 Men many times late at nite...; Charlemagne = Louis Pious' dad (must be, from 800 >> 9th Century guys!); Hamilcar > Hannibal's dad; Imperialism; Ornithopter (!); Poseidon Adventure; Louisa May Alcott stamp; Toni Morrrison "Jazz"' Confident win from the 4th given low scores just on LT... so easy to win from the 4th, eh?! ;) Grats Sue! GJ! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:How did Alex know to match his tie to Jason's and Jill's outfits in their respective pictures above?
Usually at least one of the contestants will be wearing at outfit that coordinates with Alex's. That contestant is then selected to win the game. The other contestants somehow find themselves having trouble with the buzzer.
The above is from yesterday's thread. Based on that I knew from the beginning that Sue would win.
Gives new meaning to "Dress for Success"
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Places (2), Sitcom (5), Tequila (3), "Log" (2), First Ladies (4), Peter (3)
Daddy (4), Polysyllabic (3), Teasing (4), Novelists (2), Foo (2), Fly (3)

Lach Trash: Europe, Jose Cuervo, Harper, Lou Hoover, Charlemagne, Louisa May Alcott, Toni Morrison

Instaget FJ.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Boy oh boy, I thought FJ was a real gimme (they even spotted you the equator = Ecuador), but sometimes it just doesn't click. Sue's reaction at winning was great. Benn must be ruing the fact that his negs (including the Ray Romano/Barone one) ended up costing him the game. Kudos to Jason for a series of well-played games, although he missed out on free lunch at the Sony commissary.

LT for me (that I remember): José Cuervo (didn't he show up on LL recently?), Jalisco, Toni Morrison, Lou Henry Hoover, imperialism, Charlemagne.
sillymonkey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:How did Alex know to match his tie to Jason's and Jill's outfits in their respective pictures above?
Usually at least one of the contestants will be wearing at outfit that coordinates with Alex's. That contestant is then selected to win the game. The other contestants somehow find themselves having trouble with the buzzer.
The above is from yesterday's thread. Based on that I knew from the beginning that Sue would win.
Gives new meaning to "Dress for Success"
Clearly I need to snoop around Alex's dressing room when I go back for the ToC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess the Ray thing was a brain freeze but I had to stop and think which was which. Was it Benn it Jason who thought Laura Bush was investing in oil in 1942?

Instaget FJ and was shocked he missed it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,800
44 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: ideologue, Europe, Cuervo, Jalisco (thanks, Thorsten!), Harper, Poseidon, Louisa May Alcott, "My Hero"

Didn't expect to see Jason lose there. Thought it was a pretty straightforward FJ! Still, well done, sir. Very few can say that they are multi-day J! champions.

I wouldn't have gotten Charlie & Alan Harper were it not for a similar clue on Daytime J! a few days ago. I have seen a few episodes of Two and a Half Men and have not found it remotely funny.
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "Europe" at $200? That was clearly undervalued given the cold buzzers.
Continent with serious unification effort + European-sounding name
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT aluminum, "na", or Poseidon at $400?
Aluminum: light metal used to make airships
"Na" has been covered
The Poseidon Adventure was a bestselling novel/popular film
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the Foo Fighters category required rather specific knowledge.
It was pretty standard stuff about one of the most popular rock bands of the last 20 years.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Yeah, we have all flubbed some easy FJs. Shame for it to happen on the actual show, with a $19,000+ victory and another appearance on the line.

Also, I think this might be the first time where I knew more about a pop music category than the three contestants combined. And I know very, very little about The Foo Fighters.

Sue defeated two good, well above-average contestants this game, regardless of how it happened, so there is a chance she shows a high level on tomorrow's episode against weaker foes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I clammed on Jose Cuervo because it said it was a family company. So if it was called Cuervo's, I probably would have buzzed in.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

This was a real nail-biter. Sue's reaction was just a real treat to see. I really liked Benn, too, and Jason as well; both really had valiant efforts.
jgeorge

Post by jgeorge »

Congrats to Sue and Benn, well played. If it wasn't for a DD going my way we'd have been pretty close going in to FJ.

That FJ was retrospectively terrible, here's what happened. For those who have been at the podium maybe the thought process is familiar! "Most famous visitor" created some link in my mind to the name of the islands themselves, which led me to think of islands that were named after someone famous. Thought through the Sandwich Islands/Hawaii, which were visited by Cook, and also noted that Cook is a name that comes up disproportionately in Jeopardy clues compared to the outside world. And then I was sunk, because I got myself in a corner without time to think. Wasn't confident on the answer, my only hope was that we all missed and that Sue/Benn overwagered.

Didn't happen and yes, as was noted earlier, never have I been sadder to miss a corporate commissary meal...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

"LOG" JAM $400: To terminate communication with a computer system; please do it every night before you leave the office

Log out only or is log off acceptable as well?

4 and 1/2 for me in SITCOM LAST NAMES as I knew the Charlie & Alan show, but could not pull the last name with my ep. viewing count under 5.

I wonder how many more times Jason will encounter the Galapagos Islands over the years? Jason tipped his hand early that he didn't have it, so the mystery was Sue's response and wager. She hit 2/2 for the victory. Sue's DD play was no-nonsense with 2000+2000.

During the break I ran every country I could think of in the Caribbean, Central America & South America. Even though Canada, U.S. or Mexico could have been used, I did not expect them. The clue was a J! basic connect the dots leading right to the correct place.

EARLY WARNING: Viewers in the west seeing J! on ABC or NBC stations be ready for perhaps some displacement of the show airing in the normal time slot. KGO (ABC afiliate) has specials about each convention airing July 18 - 21 & July 25 - 28 in the 7-8 slot moving J! scheduled at 10 p.m on those Monday - Thursday nights.

I'll do "theFJguy" posts later on those nights unless someone else has the password and gets to it before I can do it.