Wednesday, July 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Log out only or is log off acceptable as well?
Either is good.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jgeorge wrote:That FJ was retrospectively terrible, here's what happened.
We get it. Even the easy ones can be elusive if your brain just gets on the wrong track. Congrats on your two victories!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:"LOG" JAM $400: To terminate communication with a computer system; please do it every night before you leave the office

Log out only or is log off acceptable as well?

EARLY WARNING: Viewers in the west seeing J! on ABC or NBC stations be ready for perhaps some displacement of the show airing in the normal time slot. KGO (ABC afiliate) has specials about each convention airing July 18 - 21 & July 25 - 28 in the 7-8 slot moving J! scheduled at 10 p.m on those Monday - Thursday nights.
Since you can log in or log on, log out and log off are both acceptable.

At this point, you're lucky to know when it will air next week. DirecTV isn't displaying any J! showings on KABC 'til Friday next week. I suspect they will put J! and WoF in the 10 pm slot. Currently, the listings for 2200 and 2300 are both local news.

Edited to add: I was wondering which song used the word "abolitionist". At first I thought it might have been snuck into the later verses of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, but it turns out to be called I am an Abolitionist shown here: http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/abolitn/absowwba17t.html

Interesting that it was sung to tune of the verses of Auld Lang Syne.
OCSam
frugalpapillion

Post by frugalpapillion »

What a great game between some well above average players. I think Jeopardy is much more fun to watch with high level players and I am excited to see what Sue will do on tomorrow's show.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I've NHO "backcombing." If I were on the show, I would've protested for my response of "upbraiding," but I suppose that's a bit harsher than teasing.
Sprinkles are for winners.
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ACW »

I ask again: WLT?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

ACW wrote:I ask again: WLT?
"what led to"
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Anybody who watches the show regularly (or even semi-regularly) should have gotten this right away. The Galapagos is (are?) probably Jeopardy!'s favorite island chain.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "Europe" at $200? That was clearly undervalued given the cold buzzers.
I was quite surprised by the cold buzzers. Quickly, within a few fractions of a second, which of the following have you heard of?

The Antarctican Union?
The North American Union?
The South American Union?
The African Union?
The Asian Union?
The Australian Union?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "Europe" at $200? That was clearly undervalued given the cold buzzers.
I was quite surprised by the cold buzzers. Quickly, within a few fractions of a second, which of the following have you heard of?

The Antarctican Union?
The African Union?
The Asian Union?
The Australian Union?

Brian
I was thinking of physical geography, and guessed Eurasia. There really isn't a definitive boundary between the two, after all.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

bpmod wrote:

The Antarctican Union?
The African Union?
The Asian Union?
The Australian Union?

Brian
The African Union is a pretty big deal, and it's not like things like "Berlin Conference" sound particularly African, so I was a little gun shy.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ACW wrote:I ask again: WLT?
Your TPH impression is uncanny.
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

As a desi was shamelessly rooting for Jason...I thought as soon as I saw the final question, here he goes again. I think Alex used the adjective "young" a dozen times in referring to him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OSXpert wrote:
bpmod wrote:

The Antarctican Union?
The African Union?
The Asian Union?
The Australian Union?

Brian
The African Union is a pretty big deal, and it's not like things like "Berlin Conference" sound particularly African, so I was a little gun shy.
I did think of Africa first, but went with Europe. I think the Brexit vote being fresh in my mind tipped the scales, though this was obviously written prior to the vote and the game was likely taped prior to it as well.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Sad to see Jason go, he was a solid engaging player and an ultimate frisbee player to boot. He walks away with a good amount of cash but also a Darwin award.
BobF

Post by BobF »

harrumph wrote:Sad to see Jason go, he was a solid engaging player and an ultimate frisbee player to boot. He walks away with a good amount of cash but also a Darwin award.
Are you an ultimate player too, harrumph? I've been playing since I joined my college team 30 years ago.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

BobF wrote:
harrumph wrote:Sad to see Jason go, he was a solid engaging player and an ultimate frisbee player to boot. He walks away with a good amount of cash but also a Darwin award.
Are you an ultimate player too, harrumph? I've been playing since I joined my college team 30 years ago.
I was for a bunch of years, loved it, I stopped playing when there was too many bullies in the local pick up game. I miss it but I recognize that at my age (57) that it's hard on the knees.
BobF

Post by BobF »

harrumph wrote:
BobF wrote:
I was for a bunch of years, loved it, I stopped playing when there was too many bullies in the local pick up game. I miss it but I recognize that at my age (57) that it's hard on the knees.
Bullies? In ultimate? That's a shame. Haven't they heard of the "spirit of the game"?

They've got a grandmasters tournament specifically for guys 50+ and gals 40+ held in Princeton each year. I went to the one last August. You should come out and check it out and maybe playing against a bunch of folks closer to your own age will rekindle the love of the game. I'll PM you when I know details.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I instagot Galapagos from Equator. I know that some of the TV satellites (which all circle the equator) are directly above the Galapagos.

And to whoever said it, St. Helena is not in the Western Hemisphere, even though it's slightly west of the prime meridian.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

BobF wrote:
harrumph wrote:
BobF wrote:
Bullies? In ultimate? That's a shame. Haven't they heard of the "spirit of the game"?

They've got a grandmasters tournament specifically for guys 50+ and gals 40+ held in Princeton each year. I went to the one last August. You should come out and check it out and maybe playing against a bunch of folks closer to your own age will rekindle the love of the game. I'll PM you when I know details.
Thanks, I had not known of this tournament. The "big" league out here is the Mercer County one.