Thursday, July 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote:How in the world is ANF 'deceptive'???
floridagator wrote:The N for and. There are easier ticker symbols (WMT, TGT, DIS, MSFT, AAPL) they could have asked for and tougher ones too (BAC, CVX, Z, XOM, UTX, VZ).
4 of the 6 "tougher ones" you list are components of the Dow 30 which are well known. A 5th (BAC) was in the Dow 30 until just a few years ago. If you even casually follow the market the category was cake.

Just don't think you're going to get much agreement that ANF is deceptive or even remotely difficult.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote:
alietr wrote:
floridagator wrote: I knew she was gutsy when she made that $4000 wager on stock symbols, which could be asking for anything, and which were written with a profusion of deceptive symbols containing letters not in the company initials, e.g., ANF for Abercrombie & Fitch.
How in the world is ANF 'deceptive'???
The N for and. There are easier ticker symbols (WMT, TGT, DIS, MSFT, AAPL) they could have asked for and tougher ones too (BAC, CVX, Z, XOM, UTX, VZ).
You're not familiar with 'n' as shorthand for 'and'? Also they spotted you clothing company. Me, I would've gone all in there. Pretty sure they've asked about XOM and VZ before, maybe BAC even. No way they'd ask for Z or UTX. CVX I wouldn't put it past them, but it'd be a real nasty one without a TOM. (Had to look up CVX/Z/UTX to be certain, though I was 90% sure for Z)
My personal favorite misleading stock symbol is 'T'. Ooh, and 'S' apparently changed; I missed that.

Actually knew UNLV flat out, which, for me, felt weird: http://deadspin.com/the-curious-case-of ... 1745995626

Instafinal.
Last edited by Volante on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There was no way Sue could cover both if they bet rationally. So betting it all was her best move. If I wanted to cover one of them, I'd bet $6,000 and cover Sue. That puts me $799 behind Ken if he makes the MSB but over wagers from second are much more common and he would not have to overwager much for me to sneak past him.

But I probably would have bet it all but I knew FJ so it would work out for me.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

IronNeck wrote: Ken pissed away 2 wins? I counted 3.

1. Betting $1800 instead of the full $5200 on the first round DD. On an easy speed category. Which he was dominating.

2. The nonsensical tying DD bet very late in the second round, instead of betting everything. When a miss finishes him off in either scenario. On another category he was clearly good at.

3. The FJ wager. To be fair, this is actually the most defensible of his decisions. While I would have gone with the minimum bet so that 3rd-place couldn't be ahead of me in case of a mutual miss, he clearly felt confident with the category.

A poor choice, but not as bad as 1. and 2.

As for FJ, I went with the incorrect Texas.
Different DD wagers could have put Ken into the lead going into FJ, but given the TS at the end, he was actually better off in second place, right? All with the benefit of hindsight, obviously.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

http://thejeopardyfan.com is a good place to see the scores long before "theFJguy" post and almost always before the Archive has it.

Once again the chance at a tie game scenario did not happen. Only 11 games left in this season, so perhaps in S33 we'll see the regular game tiebreaker.

It's not surprising there were two guesses of Texas by Sue [&] Ellen? And Ken completes the Dallas connection since Mr. Kercheval was an actor on the show.

A miss for me on the FJ! clue as I had KY for one of the border states, but knew it was #15 in the 1790s. After that I never thought of Missouri for whatever reason. I rejected TN, VA and NC for being South. I detoured a quick check to reject CA & NV. Back towards the proper area I knew the clue was not some kind of trick for TX.

I assured myself Florida could not be the place and I ended back at square one. In going for a KY border to avoid a blank page I wrote Ohio.

Missouri, of course. If the category had been CIVIL WAR STATES I think that would have made the difference for me properly using the break for a N/S state refresher.

Sue has game 1 to fall back on to not let any regrets linger too long. Ken on the other hand has numerous spots in the game to revisit to the 10th power.

During the game Ken seemed to do well with things in the historical field, so I thought the FJ! category looked favorable for him. Too bad. I was curious to see his day 2 outfit.
frugalpapillion

Post by frugalpapillion »

I know that quite a few people are saying that the final Jeopardy was not that hard but I honestly had no clue on it. I don't think it was an easy clue and was not at all surprised to see a TS.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm a Civil War buff and it still took me about half the time to come up with Missouri. After I thought about it I was quite certain, but, no, I don't think this was an easy clue at all.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I can't accurately rate the difficulty of this FJ since I'm very weak at Civil War history, being one of the (many) areas I need to improve at.

However, considering that I have managed to get FJs in subjects I'm even worse at, I would at least say that it wasn't very easy.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I concur that FJ wasn't all that easy but I did get it about ten seconds in. It seemed like extremely easy boards today but at least the players did well.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I swear we had a discussion at some point regarding the size of various states at their time of admittance. It basically went Georgia, Missouri, Texas. There were also calculations of VA's size before it became VA and WV, and I forget how that mattered.

I can't find it though, so I'm not 100% sure it wasn't some lucid dream now...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

pauerpoint wrote:I liked how Ellen calmly worked her way to the lead and then fought to retain it in DJ, so I'm glad she won. But those huge wagers from second and third, though, ouch.
This is kind of one of those moments where a game of Russian Roulette with a gun sometimes just forces you to be greedy. And Ken totally went too greedy by trying to do three bullets and cost his win (First two bullets was on his DDs). He was so strong on the betting on the DD, and the fact that he goes to bet almost all his money just jaw-drops the lot of us. Even with Sue's big blunder, she cost herself the win as well. Sue had a 50/50 shot going into FJ! and she could have bet less on to retain her champion title. Or Ken could have at least bet enough to cover Sue. He could have won some money left with him. Adding up their wagers, they lost $44,000 in this game. I'm not sure if that's the largest loss that has happened in a triple stumper game, but WOW...*Scoffs* I can't think of a worse way to get killed on that one.

I was even visioning myself on a russian roulette game while Ken was almost close to a win, and...it just shot me down like the Hindenberg.

If Ellen moves on, she's gotta make sure to not repeat the same mistake she did in this one. But...I doubt that, as it's probably gonna be short-lived.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with "bleeding" Kansas, figuring that it would have been admitted later than Missouri.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

harrumph wrote:For FJ I went with "bleeding" Kansas, figuring that it would have been admitted later than Missouri.
It was, but also never allowed slavery. Certainly not a bad guess, though.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For the $400 clue in medicine, I knew the answer was aspirin, but I so wanted to say "What is Aleve?"

That reminds me of the joke about a Sunday school class where the teacher asks "What's small, fluffy, and eats carrots?" A student pipes up "I know the answer is Jesus, but it sure sounds like a bunny to me!"

For FJ, for some reason I latched on to California pretty early ("Large in size? Check. Admitted close to the civil war? Check." (And after Missouri, I might add)) Didn't realize until second 29 that California was a free state, not a slave state. Oh well, two out of three is bad.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

I didn't go to school in the US- is the FJ question something that you might have encountered in high school? Not exactly phrased that way but if you learn about the Civil war would you have learnt about Missouri not being a part of the war and then used your geography knowledge of the states to know Missouri is the biggest?
BobF

Post by BobF »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Not quite instaget FJ, but close.
Yeah, although I have to admit I had no idea that MO was almost twice as large KY.
It was weird. Missouri immediately popped into my head. Then I used the next 15 seconds to think of another state it could be before deciding Missouri was my best option. I did run through (not literally) Texas and Kentucky and dismissed them because I knew KY was smaller and TX seceded. Also gave consideration to Arkansas.

I think the Missouri compromise made me think of that state first.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:Wow, that was quite a horse race at the end of the DJ round! :D

I guess Ken's not a fan of The Final Wager. Painful to watch someone snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like that. I wonder if (and when) he figured out what he'd done to himself.

From where I sat, corrects FJ wager by Sue and Ken would have won the game for one of them. Botched wagers lost for both of them. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! I have also wondered what happens when those people leave the stage and, at some point, have it pointed out that a correct wager would have won the game they lost. Talk about a head-slap moment!!!

Once again I did well in the "classic" categories: ran the categories in 16th century, plays, and Bible, including Lach Trash for "Six Characters in Search of an Author," cornice, and John (the Revelator).
Golf

Post by Golf »

BobF wrote:I think the Missouri compromise made me think of that state first.
This is the whole key to the clue. A FJ clue isn't going to be ToC bottom row next to impossible difficult. So just take a few seconds to run through the slave states and you'll go "oh yeah, the Missouri Compromise". And since we know Missouri is in the middle of the States and therefore a late entry into the union, that's all we need.

The writers just aren't going to want you to go through every single slave state and then decide which is biggest all in 30 seconds. It wasn't LOL easy as many have recently been, but not crazy difficult either.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Golf wrote:
BobF wrote:I think the Missouri compromise made me think of that state first.
This is the whole key to the clue. A FJ clue isn't going to be ToC bottom row next to impossible difficult. So just take a few seconds to run through the slave states and you'll go "oh yeah, the Missouri Compromise". And since we know Missouri is in the middle of the States and therefore a late entry into the union, that's all we need.

The writers just aren't going to want you to go through every single slave state and then decide which is biggest all in 30 seconds. It wasn't LOL easy as many have recently been, but not crazy difficult either.
Well, I'll disagree that "FJ isn't going to be TOC bottom row next to impossible difficult." For one thing, even TOC FJ questions aren't necessarily that difficult. But more on point, regular FJ clues run the gamut from Kids Week easy to pretty esoteric. And a fair number are YEKIOYD; they're not always ones that you can parse out, even with a very broad knowledge base.

I think this clue was definitely on the difficult end of the scale, even for people who have more than a passing acquaintance with the Civil War - a topic that covers a lot of territory (no pun intended). And, it was another awkwardly worded clue that could have easily taken a good 10 seconds just to get to the point of what they were looking for. Which doesn't leave much time to think about which states never seceded, allowed slavery, last to enter Union, and size. For me, and like dhkendall above, California popped into my head even though I was pretty sure it had never allowed slavery, but I got caught up on its size and recent admission to the Union.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

sumithar wrote:I didn't go to school in the US- is the FJ question something that you might have encountered in high school? Not exactly phrased that way but if you learn about the Civil war would you have learnt about Missouri not being a part of the war and then used your geography knowledge of the states to know Missouri is the biggest?
Maybe. It's been a long time since high school for me, but I don't distinctly remember Missouri being on the side of the North.