Friday, July 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7350, 2016-07-22

Pranjal Vachaspati game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Samantha Hartke, a product manager from Sugar Land, Texas
Ross Merriam, a strategy card game player and writer from Roanoke, Virginia
Pranjal Vachaspati, a Ph.D. student originally from Shaker Heights, Ohio (whose 3-day cash winnings total $67,188)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. With your permission, I'd like to begin today's program with a brief personal note. I want to extend my thanks to all of you Jeopardy! fans who have taken the time to send in letters and cards wishing me a happy birthday. I really appreciate it. Okay, Samantha, Ross, you're the newcomers. Good luck to you against this excellent champion. Here we go. Now the categories for the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POISONOUS PLANTS (5/5)
OPERATIC ADJECTIVES (5/5)
THAT GAME OF THRONES GUY WITH THE BEARD (5/5) (Alex: Don't they all have beards?)
THE BUCKET LIST (5/5)
THINGS TO DO BEFORE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU "DY" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pranjal: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Samantha: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ross: 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ross found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Pranjal had $600, Ross had $400, and Samantha was at $800. Ross wagered $1,000.

THINGS TO DO BEFORE $1000: During this pretrial court hearing, charges are read & the accused usually enters a plea
(Ross: What are opening statements?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Samantha: $3,000
Pranjal: $3,000
Ross: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Samantha Hartke is from Texas. She is a Superman fan. How big a Superman fan can you be?

Samantha: Oh, you have no idea. I was born, my dad took one look at me through the glass window, and said, "She's got the Superman curl!" And I paid it forward when I named my youngest boy Kent.

[Alex chuckles.]

Samantha: So, huge fan.

Alex: Huge! Huge!

Samantha: Huge fan!

Alex: Huge fan! All right.

Alex: Ross Merriam is from Roanoke, Virginia. A strategy card game player and writer. What exactly is a strategy card game player?

Ross: Uh, so I--I play the card game Magic: The Gathering, and, uh, I write about, uh, strategy columns, um, teaching other people how to play, and I play high-level tournaments all across the country and sometimes outside of the country.

Alex: You must be really good because they have flown you to places like Hawaii to compete, right?

Ross: Yeah, Hawaii and Paris.

Alex: Can you win a lot of money?

Ross: Uh, yeah, you can make a living doing it. It's what I do.

Alex: Okay, well, good for you. Obviously not a good enough living because you're here as a contestant to try and earn money on Jeopardy!

Ross: You can never have too much money, Alex.

Alex: Oh, yes. All right.

Alex: Pranjal, you got into Jeopardy! because of something I am often asked about, and that is that two-day tournament we had with...

Pranjal: Watson. That's right.

Alex: The IBM computer.

Pranjal: Yes.

Alex: How did that influence you?

Pranjal: Um, so, yeah, I was doing my undergrad at MIT at the time, and IBM came out, and they had this big production where they, uh, showed the Watson match, uh, in front of a--in a big auditorium. And they, uh... at the end, they asked questions, and, you know, some people raised their hands, but the first question, I actually yelled out "mandlebrot", and, um, then they threw me a shirt. So I have an IBM Watson shirt that I tried desperately to find before flying out here, but I could not find.

Alex: [Chuckles] It's okay. You got the T-shirt somewhere.

Pranjal: Somewhere.

Alex: All right. And you are still in command of the board.

Pranjal: Yes.

Alex: So pick up your signaling device. We have a lot of blanks, but they're all over the place. So where are we going next, champ?

Pranjal: That's probably my fault.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THINGS TO DO BEFORE $400: "Seasonal" verb meaning to prepare a car for cold weather by adding antifreeze, or to prep a house, using insulation
(Samantha: What is wintering?)
(Alex: Yes.)
(Samantha: Or--)
(Alex: Or [*]. Yes.)
[Reversed before Double Jeopardy!]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Samantha: $7,000
Pranjal: $5,600
Ross: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PAINTED LADIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She’s been called the “Mona Lisa of the North” & the poster girl for the Dutch Royal Picture Gallery in The Hague

Pranjal Vachaspati: 21700+300=22000 (4x = $89,188)
Ross Merriam: 7000-7000=0
Samantha Hartke: 10600-7001=3599

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Girl with the Pearl Earring (Ross – Princess Charlotte) (Samantha – Queen Victoria)

Daily Doubles
Ross: 400-1000
Pranjal: 9200-1400
Pranjal: 10600+3500

Coryats
Pranjal: 21600
Ross: 8000
Samantha: 10600

Combined: 40,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Re: Friday, July 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skrambler »

Mohawks are a subgroup of Iroquois, so I think that should have been given a bms rather than a flat-out rejection.
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Now that I've looked at it, I recognize the picture, but I had no clue what its name was even if I was able to come up with anything .... which I wasn't.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I have seen the movie, so I was able to correctly guess final, but with not a lot of certainty.

Pranjal is good at going into beast mode - there was a stretch in DJ where he was the only one getting in.

Never heard of Mary's mother before - would have missed that one.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats, Pranjal, on a good surge in the second half and a good win. I had 47 correct responses including two triple stumpers: the Fish, and bed. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of arraignment and Basques, and I got FJ.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I guess strategy from cards doesn't translate to jeopardy strategy.

Will they accept girl with A pearl earring?

Congrats on TOC Pranjal.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
clprez

Post by clprez »

This was one of those finals where the answer just popped into my head, and I don't know why. I had to google it to see what it looked like, and of course it was obvious.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

doihavetoreally wrote:
"Girl with a Pearl Earring" is actually the correct name of the painting.

http://www.frick.org/exhibitions/mauritshuis/670

I wonder whether, if it had affected the outcome of the game, we would have seen a reversal from the judges. Fortunately, it didn't matter, and only affected his winnings by several hundred dollars. And I echo the congrats to Pranjal on locking up a spot in the TOC. He has been most impressive.

Note to MarkBarrett: Obviously, I'm going to request some kind of poll question about this. :) (something like "My response was 'Girl with a . . . '" vs. "My response was 'Girl with the . . . '"

ETA: Query whether the translation from the Dutch would support acceptance of "the."
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,200
47 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: arraignment (DD), winterizing, The Fish, the Basques (DD), bed

Another impressive performance by Pranjal. He knows his stuff and can take over a game with his bouncing and buzzer timing.

I'm taking as good mojo the fact that my best non regular-play week to date is the same one in which I received The Email for the first time. My average Coryat this week has been over $39,000 despite a couple of bottom-row negs on Wednesday and a few costly clams today. It's time, TPTB. It's time.

My main pre-call for FJ! was Charlotte Corday, although it turns out that she isn't pictured in The Death of Marat. I also considered the Mona Lisa (too obvious), Nude Descending a Staircase (already done this season), and Las Meninas (by definition, not yet ladies). The Girl with the Pearl Earring never crossed my mind, but as soon as I heard "Dutch" in the clue, I knew it had to be her. Glad they didn't ask for the artist, though, as Vermeer's name completely slipped my mind.
OSXpert wrote:Never heard of Mary's mother before - would have missed that one.
Me neither. I figured it had to be apocryphal since I've never associated Anne with being a Biblical name, and it is.
Sprinkles are for winners.
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

Alistair McLean was my (and all my friends') favorite author in our teens followed closely by Desmond Bagley. I can still remember reading Satan Bug on a train journey from Ernakulam to Trivandrum, oh 30+ years ago! But as has been pointed out so many time, just because it's a gimme to me doesn't make it easy for the contestants- though I daresay in a quiz in India it would still be considered a sitter.

Pranjal can't afford to keep giving up these leads and play catch-up in the 2nd half of DJ in TOC. Like I was with Jason, I'm rooting for him as a desi
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Finally, I will be able to check the "all five FJ's" box this week! That will probably never happen again....
I expected a reversal on "Iroquois" prior to the Daily Double. The Mohawk were part of the Iroquois Confederacy. I negged with "Iroquois" also and expected to get $3200 back.
My guess is St. Ann will be a poll option this week. I was in Quebec City last week, and not too far from there is the shrine to St. Anne-de-Beaupre, a giant church containing some of her relics. Her husband's name is not as well-known:
Spoiler
St. Joachim
Hoping for a third lap
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:My main pre-call for FJ! was Charlotte Corday, although it turns out that she isn't pictured in The Death of Marat. I also considered the Mona Lisa (too obvious), Nude Descending a Staircase (already done this season), and Las Meninas (by definition, not yet ladies). The Girl with the Pearl Earring never crossed my mind, but as soon as I heard "Dutch" in the clue, I knew it had to be her. Glad they didn't ask for the artist, though, as Vermeer's name completely slipped my mind.
When I was thinking of precalls, I considered the Mona Lisa, and I also thought that was maybe a little too obvious, and then I thought of Botticelli's Birth of Venus, and Whistler's Mother.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:
"Girl with a Pearl Earring" is actually the correct name of the painting.

http://www.frick.org/exhibitions/mauritshuis/670

I wonder whether, if it had affected the outcome of the game, we would have seen a reversal from the judges. Fortunately, it didn't matter, and only affected his winnings by several hundred dollars. And I echo the congrats to Pranjal on locking up a spot in the TOC. He has been most impressive.

Note to MarkBarrett: Obviously, I'm going to request some kind of poll question about this. :) (something like "My response was 'Girl with a . . . '" vs. "My response was 'Girl with the . . . '"

ETA: Query whether the translation from the Dutch would support acceptance of "the."
Tentative abuse of Google Translate leads me to think the exact translation of "Meisje met de parel" is "Girl with the pearl" so "Girl with the pearl earring" likely clears the low bar J! sets for translations.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I've heard both versions for the painting, with "the" and "a". I knew the answer before Alex finished reading, and then spent five seconds wondering whether it could possibly be anything else. In terms of regular Jeopardy-level difficult and name recognition, no way.

Interesting that Pranjal went to MIT for undergrad. Not sure how to feel about that, having gone to Caltech myself. Props to him for another fine lock-out victory. Against a decent challenger in Samantha, too.

Also, it was nice to finally watch Jeopardy at the normal time, for a change.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hammer: Did you get Tom Sawyer tonight?

It was Alex's birthday, so the players should have given him a break with each category left to right in value order. :) He does well hosting and keeping up with the potshot board.

The FJ! category had me thinking Las Meninas or Whistler' Mother until I thought of Vermeer. I spent the break in a mental wrestling match of "with a" vs. "with the" while hopeful the clue would be something else.

Nope, my precall zeroed in on the right painting. I started writing and my pen went to "with the" figuring I was setting myself up for a 50/50/90.

Thank you Pranjal for having the same thing to leave no doubt that response was acceptable. (No, the judges don't allow a response to slide just because the game is a lock.)

Yes, the poll will ask for both responses.

As for the poll asking about St. Anne, I'll decide tomorrow.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

In retrospect, I'm betting that tonight's FJ! specifically asked for the girl rather than the work in order to be able to safely accept either "a" or "the."
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Abraxas wrote: I had 47 correct responses...and I got FJ.
Good luck closing out July (and the season) with your very steady stat line:
Spoiler
July 1: 51 correct responses/Y(es) for getting FJ
4: 48/Y
5: 47/Y
6: 47/Y
7: 48/Y
8: 47/Y
11: 50/Y
12: 49/Y
13: 46/Y
14: 49/Y
15: 49/Y
18: 48/Y
19: 43/Y
20: 43/Y
21: 46/Y
22: 47/Y
That's about 47 correct a night and it looks like your FJ! correct streak is 30 going back to a miss with Sullenberger on June 10. If you have not already been on the show then you need the call, an audition or whatever the next step would be for you. I'll apologize now in advance if you miss a FJ! clue next week or get less than 40 clues right in any game.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The FJ clue asked for the subject of the painting and not for the title, so "a"/"the" quibbles were avoided by the writers, similar to how the FJ clue in Roger Craig's record-setting game referred to a "title object" so that either "over" or "on" could link the bridge and the river Kwai.

The Kateri Tekakwitha clue asked for a tribe, as I recall, so Iroquois is no good for that.