Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), October 4, 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), October 4, 2016

Post by nlw44 »

djbutler5518 wrote:Ok so this is my first time taking the online test - not sure how I did. Guessing in the 30's but just a guess. Those who have taken it before - will my actual score be posted, or will they post the questions and I have to try to remember my answers?
They don't post scores, and usually not questions either, although they have shown up on the facebook page sometimes.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

46/50 for me taking it while being distracted throughout. On #1 I wrote the queen and as time was up I realized who I needed for the switch.

That made me mad to blow one right off the bat and then the song one was next. I know the song, could not get the title and spent the rest of the test still trying to recall it instead of letting it go.

I had "access" in the middle of LAN for miss #3 and wrote halite for the bond one. By the time of question 50 I figured out the correct answer to the bond one.

The 46 I got right were all quick no doubters other than estimate which I needed a few extra seconds to get.

I would say this test will get the J! powers a lot of people passing to narrow down for the auditions.

Other than the author going on the money was there anything on this test that could not have been used in October 2015?
Leander

Post by Leander »

Looks like about a 46 for me, playing off the Youtube video. Missed big dipper, estimate, iconic, and had "all about the bass".
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

OSXpert wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Was the question about a guess that started and ended with the same letter supposed to be knack or hunch, or would either be acceptable, or is it something different?
I said "estimate"
That makes a lot more sense. On the Joseph question, do you think they'd accept "Aramathea" instead of "Arimathea"? Being a Jew who grew up in an interfaith family means that most Christian trivia I've heard is from listening to my dad, and I had no idea what the right way to spell it was.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

OK, missed 5 (6 if "SCHIN" wasn't enough!)

Yeah, missed 6.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Since zipline was correct I'm looking at 46/50. Choked on Schindler's List and simply could not type out #2 title in time ended up in box for #3 lol. Scrambling....
IMHO was pretty stock material and very comfortable felt strong throughout even in the pop which is weakest for me. Crammed all day now it's crash time! 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
LuigiNovi

Post by LuigiNovi »

Here are my questions and answers. I got 29 correct 21 incorrect, better than my 25/25 score last year, but nowhere near my best score of 35/15 in 2013.

The one question whose answer I could not figure out with an Internet search was #11. Can anyone help me out?

Category: Shakespeare
1. THE MONARCH WITH THIS FIRST NAME WAS RULING ENGLAND WHEN SHAKESPEARE DIED
My answer: Elizabeth
Correct answer: James (James I)

Category: Top 10 Hits
2. TOP 10 HITS FOR MEGHAN TRAINOR INCLUDE “LIPS ARE MOVIN’” AT NO. 4 & THIS SONG AT NO. 1
My answer: These Boots Are Made for Wal
Correct answer: All About That Bass

Category: Botany
3. THIS GREEN PIGMENT IS NECESSARY FOR PLANTS TO CARRY OUT PHOTOSYNTHESIS
My answer: Chlorophyll
Correct answer: Chlorophyll

Category: Cities of the World
4. MOSUL & RAMADI CAN BOTH BE FOUND IN THIS MIDEAST COUNTRY
My answer: Iraq
Correct answer: Iraq

Category: Animals
5. ITS NAME IS FROM THE GREEK FOR “RIVER HORSE”
My answer: Hippopotamus
Correct answer: Hippopotamus

Category: Ancient Rome
6. JULIUS CAESAR WAS ASSASSINATED ON THE 15TH, OR IDEAS, OF THIS MONTH
My answer: March
Correct answer: March

Category: American Literature
7. “THE NAKED AND THE DEAD” & “THE EXECUTIONER’S SONG” ARE BOOKS BY THIS NOVELIST
My answer: Joseph Conrad
Correct answer: Norman Mailer

Category: Colleges
8. AFTER RECEIVING A GIFT OF $1 MILLION IN 1873, NASHVILLE’S CENTRAL UNIVERSITY CHANGED ITS NAME TO THIS
My answer: Tulane University
Correct answer: Vanderbilt University

Category: Art
9. “NIGHT WATCH” IS A CLASSIC PAINTING FROM THIS 17TH CENTURY MASTER
My answer: Hawks
Correct answer: Rembrandt

Category: Hobbies
10. NOT GARDENING, BUT THIS HOBBY WITH A 9-LETTER NAME IS GETTING TO THE ROOTS OF YOUR ANCESTORS
My answer: Genealogy
Correct answer: Genealogy

Category: Rhyme Time
11. MUSICAL INSTRUMENT FOR THE MRS.
My answer: Wife’s Lyte
Correct answer: ???

Category: Canada
12. Canada’s 3 territories aer Nunavut, the northwest territories & this one
My answer: Newfoundland
Correct answer: Yukon

Category: The Olympics
13. THE 2008 OLYMPICS WERE HERLD IN THIS CITY
My answer: Beijing
Correct answer: Beijing

Category: Bestselling Nonfiction
14. “THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY” TELLS OF THIS CITY’S 1893 WORLD’S FAIR
My answer: New York City
Correct answer: Chicago

Category: WWII
15. THE 1944 BATTLE OF THE ARDENNES IS ALSO ALLITERATIVELY CALLED THE “BATTLE OF” THIS
My answer: Agincourt
Correct answer: Bulge

Category: Astronomy
16. THE 7 BRIGHTEST STARS IN URSA MAJOR ARE COLLECTIVELY KNOWN AS THIS
My answer: The Big Bear
Correct answer: Big Dipper

Category: The Orchestra
17. CASTANETS & THE TAMBOURINE BELONG TO THIS SECTION OF THE ORCHESTRA
My answer: Percussion
Correct answer: Percussion

Category: Cooking
18. A SPECIALTY OF NAPLES, THIS PIZZA TURNOVER’S NAME MEANS TROUSER LEG
My answer: Calzone
Correct answer: Calzone

Category: Foreign Places
19. Hajj Is A Pilgramage To This City
My answer: Mecca
Correct answer: Mecca

Category: Bible People
20. ALL 4 GOSPELS SAY JESUS WAS BURIED BY JOSEPH OF THIS PLACE
My answer: Aramethea
Correct answer: Arimathea

Category: First Ladies
21. She Wrote Several Books Including “First Lady From Plains” In 1984
My answer: Rosalyn Carter
Correct answer: Rosalynn Carter

Category: Weights & Measures
22. LIKE A SHIP’S, AN AIRCRAFT’S SPEED IS TYPICALLY MEASURED IN THESE UNITS
My answer: Nautical miles
Correct answer: knot

Category: Poets & Poetry
23. THIS SCOT’S BELOVED POEMS INCLUDE “TO A MOUSE” & “ADDRESS TO A HAGGIS”
My answer: George Bernard Shaw
Correct answer: Robert Burns

Category: Let’s Move
24. SOMETIMES CALLED AN AERIAL ROPESLIDE, IT’S BEST KNOWN AS THIS
My answer: TR (I wanted to write “trapeze”, but ran out of time.)
Correct answer: zip-line

Category: Deserts
25. SIMPSON DESERT IS A 55,000-SQUARE MILE REGION IN THIS COUNTRY’S NORTHERN TERRITORY
My answer: Australia
Correct answer: Australia

Category: Reality TV Shows
26. THE ELIMINATION CATCHPHRASE FROM THIS COMPETITION REALITY TV SHOW IS “PLEASE PACK YOUR KNIVES & GO”
My answer: Hell’s Kitchen
Correct answer: Top Chef

Category: Pulitzer Prizes
27. THIS AUTHOR’S DYSTOPIAN NOVEL “THE ROAD” TOOK THE 2007 PULITZER PRIZE FICTION
My answer: Cormac McCarthy
Correct answer: Cormac McCarthy

Category: The Human Body
28. AN ENLARGEMENT OF THIS GLAND IS CALLED A GOITER
My answer: Thyroid
Correct answer: Thyroid

Category: Fashion
29. THE FRENCH PHRASE PRÊT-A-PORTER LITERALLY MEANS THIS
My answer: Ready to Wear
Correct answer: Ready to Wear

Category: Early America
30. CRISPUS ATTUCKS, KILLED DURING THIS EVENT, WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO DIE FOR AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE
My answer: Boston Massacre
Correct answer: Boston Massacre

Category: Classical Music
31. THIS COMPOSER’S 1869 WORK “WIEGENLIED” IS BETTER KNOWN TO US AS “LULLABY”
My answer: Wagner
Correct answer: Brahms

Category: Begins & Ends With the Same Letter
32. A GUESS AS TO THE PRICE OR WEIGHT OF SOMETHING
My answer: Estimate
Correct answer: Estimate

Category: Automobiels
33. POWERED BY MULTIPLE SOURCES, HONDA’S INSIGHT WAS THE FIRST OF THESE CARS SOLD IN THE U.S.
My answer: hybrid
Correct answer: hybrid

Category: Opera
34. ITALIAN FOR “FIRST LADY” GIVES US THIS TERM FOR THE LEAD FEMALE SINGER OF AN OPERA COMPANY
My answer: prima donna
Correct answer: prima donna

Category: Nonfiction
35. THIS 3-NAMED ECONOMIST WROTE THE INFLUENTIAL 1936 WORK “GENERAL THEORY OF EMPLOYMENT, INTEREST & MONEY”
My answer: Milton Friedman
Correct answer: John Maynard Keynes

Category: Geographic Terms
36. A COUNTRY THAT HAS NO DIRECT ACCESS TO THE SEA IS REFERRED TO BY THIS 10-LETTER TERM
My answer: landlocked
Correct answer: landlocked

Category: Musical Theater
37. LOLA HELPS SAVE A FAILING SHOE FACTORY IN THIS HIGH-HEELED 2013 TONY WINNER FOR BEST MUSICAL
My answer: Kinky Boots
Correct answer: Kinky Boots

Category: On the Money
38. MY ANSWER: IN 2017 THIS FEMALE AUTHOR WILL REPLACE CHARLES DARWIN ON THE TEN POUND NOTE
My answer: J.K. Rowling (No, I didn't actually think this, but I was following the theory of saying something, no matter how crazy it may be.)
Correct answer: Jane Austen

Category: Parts of the Body
39. THIS VESTIGAL ORGAN IS ATTACHED TO A PART OF THE LARGE INTESTINE CALLED THE CECUM
My answer: appendix
Correct answer: appendix

Category: Ballet
40. CURSED BY A SORCERER, ODETTE IS THE LEAD ROLE IN THIS TCHAIKOVSKY WORK
My answer: War and Peace
Correct answer: Swan Lake

Category: Vocabulary
41. A TYPE OF HUMOR INCLUDES THE NAME OF THIS STRUCTURE USED IN HANGINGS
My answer: gallows
Correct answer: gallows

Category: Mountains
42. YOU’LL FIND 5-MILE HIGH NANGA PARBAT IN THIS RANGE
My answer: Himalayas
Correct answer: Himalayas

Category: Tech Talk
43. IT’S WHAT LAN STANDS FOR
My answer: Local Area Network
Correct answer: Local Area Network

Category: Women of History
44. CLARA BARTON WAS THE FOUNDER OF THIS GROUP
My answer: Underground Railroad
Correct answer: American Red Cross

Category: Fictional Detectives
45. THE 1930 BOOK “MURDER AT THE VICARAGE” FEATURED THIS FEMALE SLEUTH
My answer: Ms. Marple
Correct answer: Miss Marple

Category: Mythology
46. HEPHAETSTUS, THE GREEK GOD OF FIRE & METALWORKING, WAS IDENTIFIED WITH THIS ROMAN GOD
My answer: Prometheus
Correct answer: Vulcan

Category: Chemistry
47. THE 2 MAIN TYPES OF CHEMICAL BONDS ARE COVALENT & THIS TYPE FOUND IN SALTS
My answer: Valent
Correct answer: Ionic

Category: Oscar-Winning Movies
48. “WHOEVER SAVES ONE LIFE, SAVES THE WORLD ENTIRE” IS A TAGLINE FROM THIS 1993 FILM
My answer: Schindler’s List
Correct answer: Schindler’s List

Category: Science Fiction
49. IN THIS CLASSIC NOVEL FROM 1898, INVADERS FROM MARS ATTACK PLANET EARTH
My answer: War of the Worlds
Correct answer: War of the Worlds

Category: Stars with “A”
50. TO ABANDON THE THRONE
My answer: abdicate
Correct answer: abdicate
nivek1385
Contributor

Post by nivek1385 »

Darn, only 34 and this one was for real. The college test last week (also for real) felt like 35ish, ended up at 30. This felt easier, 38ish, ended up with 34. 3 I switched from correct to incorrect answers, 2 where I tried changing to the correct answer but didn't get it in in time, 2 where I blanked and ran out of time, and a couple Kosman Koin flips.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

46, but not for real tonight.

Tomorrow better bring similar difficulty levels.

One miss was Virginia Woolf instead of Austen. I guess they weren't afraid to put Jane on their money.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I'm going to take the one tomorrow or on Thursday for real, but I took this one for fun from sherder's video, and got 37/50, which is probably a fair representation of my abilities. (Missed a 50/50 with that 1893 World Fair one, guessing New York over Chicago, and missed every single opera/classical music question, even "Swan Lake") I thought it was actually a bit easier than the last adult test in January, although I have gotten much better at trivia since then. My hats off to anyone that got 40+.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

I said John Kenneth Galbraith for the economist, and kept 2nd guessing myself whether he was OLD enough to have written a book in 1936. That's my go-to guy for "3-named economist."

Turns out he was born in 1908, so yes, he was. But the particular work they stated was written by John Maynard Keynes (who would have been 53 to Galbraith's 28 that year.)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

46 off sherder's gracious video. changed charles to james just in time, fell the wrong way with stromboli instead of calzone (dumb and against my better judgment), had no chance on the bible clue as always, had never heard of Jane Austen on the bill and entered Agatha Christie as a surrender guess, and choked on Schindler's List. Felt easy, but typical score. I'll be live on Thursday. Yet again. I've seen no list of cities; did they ask when you took it live?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I thought that these questions were easier than the ones on the show, actually. That being said, I got 40 (for funzies, go team pool swimmers). Missed: (not going to spoilerize it because if you've made it to page 4 of the thread already, yeah, you're spoiled.)

2. NHO her
9. This could probably have been gettable, but I couldn't come up with it. I spent far too many seconds (at least 5) saying "Night Hawks? That definitely wasn't painted in the 17th century! Oh, Night Watch! Wait, 10 seconds left? Aah!"
15. For some reason, my brain refuses to say Battle of the Bulge (my instantaneous first response) is anything but a WWI battle, so I talked myself out of it as it was asking for a WWII battle and WAGged Bastonge.
26. Any way to tell those shows apart other than watching them? ("It's pick a random cooking show time!" (And Master Chef apparently isn't it!))
30. Yeah, Boston Tea Party is wrong. Close, but wrong.
44. Not blaming my Canadianness on this one, I've heard of Barton before, she comes up on J! often enough, but I thought she was the founder of the Girl Guides of the US (who also comes up on J! a lot)

And a few comments:
6. This was pretty much Kids Week level there. I'm wondering if they throw super easy clues in there for a reason, like if they miss #6 but they got a good score, perhaps that's a cheating trap? (But then why wouldn't they cheat t on #6?)
12. Canadian geography y'all. It always comes up.
21. Knew it was Jimmy Carter's wife (spotted the Plains (Georgia) TOM quickly) but for a while couldn't pull her first name (and figured, given the clue and category, it'd be advisable to do so). Then I remembered reading an article in the paper just this morning about the Carters coming to Winnipeg to do some Habitat for Humanity work, and both Carters were name checked in the article.
23. Oh, how I wish one could answer in a bad, Trebek-style Scottish accent on that.
34. Anyone else suss it out from figuring out the Italian rather than remembering what the female lead singer of an opera is? (I got "prima" = "first" quickly, and a combination of figuring what word goes with prima, and figuring "donna" fit the bill well for a lady got me there.)
37. Another J! favourite of late
38. I spent way too much time making a J. K. Rowling joke, but got Austen with plenty of time, thankfully.
39. Yay for a diorama I made in elementary school of the digestive system that has helped me more than once in my trivia life. (Sadly for #28, the thyroid isn't part of the digestive system.)
43. Times like this I love being in I.T.
hbomb1947 wrote:genealogy, which I misspelled "geneaology" making it 10 letters in a category that demanded 9 letters.
I'd say they take it under the "sounds the same" rule. If you said "geneaology" on stage, I assume it sounds exactly like "genealogy" and they wouldn't' know you said a 10 letter word by mistake. But your 44 I think holds up on its own without needing a 45 if I'm right.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:genealogy, which I misspelled "geneaology" making it 10 letters in a category that demanded 9 letters.
I'd say they take it under the "sounds the same" rule. If you said "geneaology" on stage, I assume it sounds exactly like "genealogy" and they wouldn't' know you said a 10 letter word by mistake. But your 44 I think holds up on its own without needing a 45 if I'm right.
Ordinarily I would feel confident based on the "sounds the same" rule, and indeed the rules for the online test specifically say that spelling doesn't count, but why did they mention the 9 letters on this one?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I consider this one on the easy side. 44/50 with a couple of good guesses and a couple of bad negs. With my luck, Thursday's (my for reals) will be the real killer.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Scored 45 taking it off of sherder's video (pool swimmer here), unless "electric car" is accepted for hybrid; thank you SO much for posting them! :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Ordinarily I would feel confident based on the "sounds the same" rule, and indeed the rules for the online test specifically say that spelling doesn't count, but why did they mention the 9 letters on this one?
To lead you to a specific one and away from another that can plausibly (or exactly in some cases) be right. As you said, it's not a spelling test. (My hunch for the one they don't want you to say is possibly "ancestry"?). Or maybe it's an extra TOM.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thanks to jeff6286, luiginovi and others for posting the questions and answers for the test, I have used your contributions to edit the first few posts of the board to help others.

Please note: I will not have the time to do this tomorrow. I most likely will on Thursday, though. If another Archivist or moderator can do it tomorrow (Wednesday), that would be appreciated.

ASGNYC

Post by ASGNYC »

I see lots of people answering in full names here: Jane Austen, Rosalynn Carter, Robert Burns, etc. I didn't read the directions that closely, but was under the impression that last names were more than sufficient, a la the show itself. Was I correct in assuming this? Hope so! (44 correct if so).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ASGNYC wrote:I see lots of people answering in full names here: Jane Austen, Rosalynn Carter, Robert Burns, etc. I didn't read the directions that closely, but was under the impression that last names were more than sufficient, a la the show itself. Was I correct in assuming this? Hope so! (44 correct if so).
We're pretty sure, yeah (although I think the first name might be good to have on the first ladies one IMHO)

Congrats!