Congratulations!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Congratulations!

Post by Woppy T »

I just received an email from J! with a subject line of "Congratulations!" So of course I figure this means I passed last week's test and I'm being invited to an audition. But then I read the actual email: "You completed the online test. If you passed we'll contact you to schedule an audition."

Really?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
ej!
Valued Contributor

Re: Congratulations!

Post by ej! »

It borders on Spam.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ej! wrote:It borders on Spam.
I like it. Lets me know the system worked. Last year I didn't get my confirmation email until like a day after. Sweating bullets, I was.

Actual audition emails probably won't be going out for 2-3 months yet.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Count me as one who read that email too quickly, and thought it said I DID pass the test and WOULD be contacted for an audition. I was very confused as to how 31/50 could be considered passing.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

It felt like the D-R-I-N-K Y-O-U-R O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E bit from A Christmas Story.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

The same for me. My heart leaped out of my chest, only to fall to the floor with a thud. Hey TPTB you really shook me up! I need a doctor!
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
jltexan

Post by jltexan »

Seriously. I got my hopes up for a half second! I thought it was especially odd considering I got a confirmation email after I completed my test on Wednesday, so I didn't find this one helpful or necessary.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got that email too, and it's confusing to me that I did because shortly after finishing my online test last Tuesday I had already received an email from J! that began "Congratulations! You've successfully completed the Jeopardy! Online Test!"
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

My email contains the following:
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the JEOPARDY! newsletter, ...
which is, of course, news to me. I have never signed up for any Jeopardy! newsletter and am somewhat upset that they subscribed me without my knowledge or consent.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Got excited too. I like how it says if you passed you will be contacted for an audition...sure we will.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

bpmod wrote:My email contains the following:
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the JEOPARDY! newsletter, ...
which is, of course, news to me. I have never signed up for any Jeopardy! newsletter and am somewhat upset that they subscribed me without my knowledge or consent.

Brian
Doesn't this breach Canadian anti-spam legislation? Which is what the whole fuss was about??
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Well at least we all get a participation trophy.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
bpmod wrote:My email contains the following:

Brian
Doesn't this breach Canadian anti-spam legislation? Which is what the whole fuss was about??
That is quite possible. I do not know the details of the legislation. But I do know that in all of the years of taking the online test, I have never received unsolicited email from Jeopardy! before this.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

The way they have worded it sounds like a promise to anyone who passed the test, whatever "passed" means to them. I also got it, and I'm pretty sure that my 48 on Tuesday has to count as a pass. So despite the fact that I know in my heart this is a pretty generic message sent to anyone who took the test, I'm keeping it in my inbox for a while. After several years of "passing" with no audition forthcoming, this at least keeps my hope from fading away to nothing. Self-delusion, you say? Hell yes, I say.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Jeopardy can make the argument that the email is permissible under U.S. spam law because (a) those who registered for the online test created a business relationship with the show and (b) the email contains an unsubscribe link.

That said, sending a confirmation that one has completed the online test with the heading "Congratulations!" isn't something that belongs in a best practices manual.

Edited to add: In the past few months, I've been getting multiple emails per week from Sony Pictures in addition to the occasional Jeopardy emails.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

Received the email, was kind of annoyed since I bombed Tuesday night, promptly deleted it, sent Jeopardy a polite yet stern Twitter message over the whole thing.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

This email did not bother me, although I agree that the subject line should have been different, like "Congratulations on Completing the Online Test" or something.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Blue Lion wrote:Jeopardy can make the argument that the email is permissible under U.S. spam law because (a) those who registered for the online test created a business relationship with the show and (b) the email contains an unsubscribe link.
Canadian law is different, however - explicit permission must be given - and this was apparently the issue with Canadians' inability to take the J! test over the last while.

That said, I did not take the test so didn't see whatever legalese and checkboxes were present. Also, IANAL.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I am also not a lawyer, but I did see every checkbox and I read carefully everything that was presented to me. They never indicated that I was signing up for any newsletter, and they never said anything about my accepting correspondence from them beyond what was required for the purposes of the test. That much I am certain of.

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:I am also not a lawyer, but I did see every checkbox and I read carefully everything that was presented to me. They never indicated that I was signing up for any newsletter, and they never said anything about my accepting correspondence from them beyond what was required for the purposes of the test. That much I am certain of.

Brian
My suspicion is that they simply should have replaced "You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the Jeopardy! newsletter..." with "You are receiving this email because you registered and took the online test last week". Or, leaving out that passage entirely since the above already confirmed that you took the test. It's true, everyone should have already gotten a confirmation email after taking the test, so this email is both redundant and potentially misleading, but I don't know if it is truly unsolicited. If you signed up to take the test, then took the test, it seems reasonable that they should be able to email you to confirm that your test was successfully submitted, no? Silly to do it twice, but what are big corporations known for if not if not inefficiency?

Should you receive further emails indicating that you are indeed subscribed to the newsletter, then I'll happily retract this, but for now I'm willing to consider that they sent this email to the group they intended (those that took the test) but mistakenly included a disclaimer applying to a different set of users (those that subscribe to the newsletter).