Tuesday, November 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7402, 2016-11-15

2014 Teen Tournament quarterfinal game 5.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Jasmine Wheeler, an eighth grader from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Sharath Narayan, a sophomore from Madison, Alabama
Michael Borecki, a junior from Darien, Connecticut

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, your enthusiasm and your applause indicates that you all know what this game is. It's the last game of our quarterfinals. At the end of this half-hour we will know the names of the nine kids who get to come back as semifinalists. I can assure you one of those names will be Jasmine, Sharath, or Michael, whoever wins this game. So good luck. Let's go to work. Now, here are the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CAREER DAY (4/5)
LYRICS IN OTHER NATIONAL ANTHEMS (5/5)
SLANGUAGE (4/5)
NEW PRESIDENTIAL CODE NAMES? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AGRICULTURE (5/5)
QUARTERBACKS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Sharath: 10 R, 1 W
Jasmine: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Michael had $2,600, Sharath was scoreless, and Jasmine had nothing in the bank. Michael wagered $2,000.

NEW PRESIDENTIAL CODE NAMES? $800: "Hermitage Guy" or "The 20"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michael: $7,000
Sharath: $3,400
Jasmine: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jasmine Wheeler, I think our second eighth grader in the tournament this year. That's quite an accomplishment. What's been special about your visit to Washington so far?

Jasmine: It's been great getting to see all the memorials again, and getting to see the places I've been before, but in a new, different light now that I'm older.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, good to have you with us.

Alex: Sharath Narayan, from Madison, Alabama. He's a sophomore and one of his greatest ambitions in life, I've heard is to learn to speak how many languages fluently?

Sharath: Uh, five languages.

Alex: Five.

Sharath: Yes.

Alex: Do you have any down pat now aside from English?

Sharath: I know English. Um, I can converse in Tamil, which is a southern Indian language. Uh, I can understand a little bit of Hindi, and I'm learning Spanish on my own right now.

Alex: Good for you. Good luck.

Alex: Michael Borecki is from Darien, Connecticut. Threes seem to figure prominently in your life. You are a triplet.

Michael: Yes.

Alex: And you were all born on...?

Michael: Christmas Eve.

Alex: And you are a 3-time...

Michael: State Geography Bee champion.

Alex: State Geography Bee champion. You know, I hosted the National Geographic Bee here in Washington. Did you make it to Washington, D.C.?

Michael: Yes, I made it to Washington, D.C. I did not make the finals.

Alex: You didn't make the final ten each year.

Michael: No.

Alex: That's too bad. But look at you now. Pick up your signaling device.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SLANGUAGE $600: If you want a pal to tell the truth, you may use the abbreviation S.O.O.F., short for this

CAREER DAY $800: This type of officer doesn't work for the military but helps people get money for cars & mortgages at the bank

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michael: $9,800
Sharath: $5,000
Jasmine: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STORMY WEATHER (5/5)
MTV (1/5)
LITERARY CHARACTERS (4/5)
ONLINE LEARNING (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"A"LPHABETICAL VERBS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with an A, and it will be followed by other letters all in alphabetical order.)
QUARTER BACKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Sharath: 11 R, 2 W
Jasmine: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Michael had $17,800, Sharath had $14,200, and Jasmine was at $6,600. Michael wagered $2,000.

ONLINE LEARNING $1200: Michael Hart started e-books & Project Gutenberg when he typed this famous document into a computer on July 4, 1971

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Michael had $19,800, Sharath had $14,200, and Jasmine was at $6,600. Michael wagered $3,000.

QUARTER BACKS $800: She is on the back of Alabama's quarter; her name is there in English & in Braille

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY CHARACTERS $1600: In a Victoria Aveyard series, Mare Barrow is this "colorful" title character who fights the Silver bloods

"A"LPHABETICAL VERBS $2000: It means "to attach" & contains a synonym for "to repair"

ONLINE LEARNING $1600: At goodreads.com you can preview books like the tale of prejudice & memory, "Snow Falling On" these

MTV $1600: "Go Big or Go Home" is the subtitle of the latest version of this reality stalwart featuring 7 strangers

MTV $2000: MTV ventured into the fantasy realm with these "Chronicles" that find a demon army trying to destroy the four lands
(Sharath: What are The Spiderwick Chronicles?)

MTV $1200: In September 1984 we aired our first episode of "Jeopardy!" & MTV debuted the awards called these
(Michael: What are the Music Video Awards?)
(Sharath: What are the MTV Music Awards?)

MTV $400: Via blog posts, 15-year-old Jenna narrates this show whose name means "lacking social graces"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michael: $22,800
Sharath: $12,200
Jasmine: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEN OF SCIENCE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Michael: Wager $1,601 to cover Sharath, but no more than $9,599 so as not to fall behind Jasmine's doubled score.
Sharath: You have the hope of surpassing Michael if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,601 to force Michael to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jasmine.
Jasmine: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The symbols for 6 chemical elements spell out his name, beginning with cobalt, phosphorus & erbium

FINAL SCORES
Jasmine: $6,600 - $6,599 = $1 (Who is ?) (3rd place)
Sharath: $12,200 + $10,601 = $22,801 (Who is Copernicus) (2nd place)
Michael: $22,800 + $1,601 = $24,401 (Who is Copernicus?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michael: $18,600, 24 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Sharath: $12,200, 21 R, 3 W
Jasmine: $6,600, 6 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $37,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Michael: 25/61 = .410
Sharath: 22/58 = .379
Jasmine: 6/58 = .103
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SLANGUAGE $200: The cardboard item around the coffee cup can be called a zarf, or this, like part of your jacket

QUARTERBACKS $400: How long did it take Hall of Fame voters to go over this Green Bay QB's winning candidacy in 2016? Between 6 & 9 secs.
(Sharath: Who is Rodgers?)

STORMY WEATHER $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a video on the monitor.) The warm waters near the Equator are breeding grounds for hurricanes, and as the warm air rises in the storm, this area of low pressure forms

QUARTER BACKS $400: The backs of 3 state quarters-- Montana, North Dakota, and Kansas-- feature parts of this critter

STORMY WEATHER $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a video on the monitor.) In the flash-bang method, after a lightning flash, count until you hear thunder, then divide that number by 5 to find how many miles away the storm is because it takes roughly 5 seconds for this to travel 1 mile

CORRECT RESPONSES
Andrew Jackson
swear on our friendship
a loan officer
the Declaration of Independence
Helen Keller
the Red Queen
affix
cedars
The Real World
The Shannara Chronicles
the Video Music Awards
Awkward
Copernicus
a sleeve
Brett Favre
the eye
a buffalo
sound
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEN OF SCIENCE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The symbols for 6 chemical elements spell out his name, beginning with cobalt, phosphorus & erbium

Michael Borecki: 22800+1601=24401 (Semi-Finalist)
Sharath Narayan: 12200+10601=22801 (Wildcard)
Jasmine Wheeler: 6600-6599=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Copernicus (Jasmine - ?)

Daily Doubles
Michael: 2600+2000
Michael: 17800+2000
Michael: 19800+3000

Coryats
Michael: 18600
Sharath: 12200
Jasmine: 6600

Combined: 37400
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

What a weird FJ, which was basically: "Here are the first few letters of a scientist's name. Who could it be?" And as Alex pointed out, I'm sure she would have gotten that question with a couple years of HS.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Not sure I'll ever get used to teenagers who can destroy me at Jeopardy while whiffing so dramatically on a category like MTV.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I said CSI instead of CSS. One of my more amusing wrong answers. I realized how very wrong I was as soon as I said it :lol:.

I said thunder instead of sound on the one video clue. That's one problem with those video clues: it's easy to forget how the question started by the time the question is finished, and all too easy to make that kind of mistake.

Also said bison instead of buffalo on the quarter clue. I think they're bison, but I'm not 100% on that.

I tried to think of another "science guy" who could've worked for the clue, if there might've been one with chemical symbols that weren't just the first letters of the chemical names, but I couldn't think of one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, geez. That was one tough break, Michael. Sorry it went down that way.

EDIT: Whoops. Forgot one of today's contestants was named Michael. As noted downthread, I meant Michael Kwan from Friday's game. Big congrats to today's Michael, of course.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

opusthepenguin wrote:Oh, geez. That was one tough break, Michael. Sorry it went down that way.
Which Michael? Kwan?
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Vowela wrote:Also said bison instead of buffalo on the quarter clue. I think they're bison, but I'm not 100% on that.
Bison is absolutely correct.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

geolawyerman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Oh, geez. That was one tough break, Michael. Sorry it went down that way.
Which Michael? Kwan?
That's the guy.
Spoiler
His extra "la" in his FJ cost him the last wildcard spot. Unless I miscalculated.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With all the problems she had with the signaling button at the start (I think she got some coaching on that during the break), I am glad Jasmine played herself into contention for a wild card. I agree a lack of familiarity with the periodic table may have hurt her.

Yes, Michael is a wild card if he spells his FJ name correctly.

Another quick get on this FJ for me. We need more Teen Tournaments.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Great to see Michael hunting for DDs, but why did he inexplicably bet $2k with $2,600 in hand on the first one? Given that he posts here, can he explain? His next two DD bets were fine.

Overall, a good game; Michael and Sharath are both solid players with good chances of cracking the finals.

Got LT of loan officer, Cedars, and The Real World (I like the fact that none of the trio knew the last one, actually!)

FJ wasn't instaget, but took about 5 seconds.

Incidentally, I said "cyclones" for "tornadoes". Judges?
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Why is that bet 'inexplicable?' There is more to DD betting than pure math, and the contestants often have information the viewers don't. They've spent time with the others in rehearsal. Maybe Michael didn't want to relinquish his lead, knowing that the others were strong players. Maybe he didn't feel that this was his best category. Anyway, there are - and should be - factors other than mathematical ones to consider when making these decisions.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

AleBelly wrote:Why is that bet 'inexplicable?'
Feel free to explain it, then.

At present, you're asking me to explain why a bet is not explainable.
AleBelly wrote: There is more to DD betting than pure math, and the contestants often have information the viewers don't. They've spent time with the others in rehearsal. Maybe Michael didn't want to relinquish his lead, knowing that the others were strong players.
A lead of $600 early in the Single Jeopardy board?! This makes zero sense.
AleBelly wrote:Maybe he didn't feel that this was his best category.
Then he should have bet $5, a very underutilized play.
davey

Post by davey »

I wish I could use lack of familiarity with the periodic table as an excuse! Somehow I misread the clue to be asking for a 6-letter scientist name and when I couldn't think of one that started with CO I thought I must not be remembering the Cobalt symbol right. I barely got to P, let alone ER. I will say I wasn't thinking about astronomy when considering chemical symbols...Another FJ based on meaningless coincidence... :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SLANGUAGE was hit and miss for me going 3/6 as I got hacking, hangry and fleek and could not get sleeve (sue me, I don't drink hot drinks), S.O.O.F., or the J!6's "keeping it 100", whatever that means.

MTV on the other hand was a 6/6 counting Catfish from J!6 and I had a bonus of spotting an error.

$1600: "Go Big or Go Home" is the subtitle of the latest version of this reality stalwart featuring 7 strangers

At the time of taping, yes. Real World Seattle: Bad Blood began airing last month though.

Yes, good for Jasmine for having a chance at a wildcard after the rough start. The good news for Sharath after this game was knowing he did not have to play Michael in the semis.

The FJ! clue showed how science and elements are not my strength. I read phosphorus and processed potassium. My paper had C-O-K-E-R and I had no scientist occur to me. I looked at the clue again and confirmed that cobalt was Co. Oh, phosphorus! That's a P, right? From there thanks to having scratch paper to work it out I was able to solve the clue. Tonight was the case when it's very handy to have the extra thinking time.

After Alex did the announcement of the 9 players moving on he went to shake Jasmine's hand. She misunderstood what was happening and gave Alex a cute little wave. For those of you that don't insta-rase it's worth a look for one of those little funny J! moments easy to miss.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

AleBelly wrote: Maybe Michael didn't want to relinquish his lead
ding ding ding ding ding

It might not make sense in retrospect, but I have like two seconds to make the decision.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

It's perfectly explicable. Likely by the young man that made the bet. Just because it's inexplicable to you doesn't make it inexplicable. And I already did offer a possible explaination it. I'll do it again, though.

There is a psychological element to jumping out to an early lead then losing it all. Maybe the player knew that going back to zero would rattle him. So he left a small cushion in case he didn't know it.

There are other plausible explanations too.

Just a tip - if you'd like a player to explain their wager, calling it "inexplicable" is unlikely to entice them to do so.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

AleBelly wrote:It's perfectly explicable. Likely by the young man that made the bet. Just because it's inexplicable to you doesn't make it inexplicable. And I already did offer a possible explaination it. I'll do it again, though.

There is a psychological element to jumping out to an early lead then losing it all. Maybe the player knew that going back to zero would rattle him. So he left a small cushion in case he didn't know it.

There are other plausible explanations too.

Just a tip - if you'd like a player to explain their wager, calling it "inexplicable" is unlikely to entice them to do so.
Dude, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

The actual player explained his decision without throwing a temper tantrum; he simply hadn't thought much about wagering ahead of time. Fair enough. Your explanation, by contrast, is utter nonsense.

Michael is a fine Jeopardy player and doesn't need you (who almost cost himself a victory on the first appearance with horrendous
DD wagering) valiantly fighting on his behalf because someone asked him a simple question. Afford him the respect of speaking for himself.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Yes. I'm the one who is embarrassing myself.