FJs for the 3/5/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 3/5/12 week?

Poll ended at Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Starting in the 300s B.C., Hellenistic civilization was spread from this land where a new country was declared in 1991
68%
A fellow author called him "a very unique cat --a French Canadian Hinayana Buddhist beat Catholic savant"
71%
The name of a Kansas City-based consumer product company, it's also a term goldsmiths use to denote quality
28%
These 2 back-to-back Tony winners for Best Musical (1987 & 1988) were both set in Paris
55%
An entertainer born in 1888 whose original first name was Adolph was one of the best-known players of this instrument
28%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
4%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
6%
SECONDS $1200: Henry VIII secretly married this second wife in 1533, after she got pregnant
71%
FILL IN THE QUOTE $800: Sexy completion of Henry Kissinger's "Power is the great..."
75%
BRIDGES $800: The Hell Gate Bridge from Wards Island to Queens spans a treacherous part of this river
57%
I anticipated the reversal on the "cigarette card" response originally ruled incorrect.
51%

Total votes: 96

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/5/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CIVILIZATIONS

3/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Starting in the 300s B.C., Hellenistic civilization was spread from this land where a new country was declared in 1991

3/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WRITERS

3/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A fellow author called him "a very unique cat --a French Canadian Hinayana Buddhist beat Catholic savant"

3/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CURRENT AMERICAN COMPANIES

3/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of a Kansas City-based consumer product company, it's also a term goldsmiths use to denote quality

3/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TONY-WINNING MUSICALS

3/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 back-to-back Tony winners for Best Musical (1987 & 1988) were both set in Paris

3/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

3/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An entertainer born in 1888 whose original first name was Adolph was one of the best-known players of this instrument

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Macedonia
(Jack) Kerouac
Hallmark
The Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables
Harp
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 2-2-0-1-0 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues. I included the Bridges one since that included a bridge and island I can't recall hearing previously. The river was guessable.

SECONDS $1200: Henry VIII secretly married this second wife in 1533, after she got pregnant

FILL IN THE QUOTE $800: Sexy completion of Henry Kissinger's "Power is the great..."

BRIDGES $800: The Hell Gate Bridge from Wards Island to Queens spans a treacherous part of this river

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Anne Boleyn
Aphrodisiac
East River
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/5/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Started well and ended badly. I was quite certain that they'd reverse "cigarette card".

ETA: I lied. I had no chance at Wednesday, either.
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

MarkBarrett, I hate to sound picky, but the response for those viewing the Thursday Final Jeopardy is both Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera.

As for me, I didn't get any Final Jeopardy clues correct (what a shocker). I only had a guess of accordion for Friday. Whoops!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:? :mrgreen: :(

Was certain there would be a reversal on that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

NA NA :D :D :(
NA NA :)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

No clue on Wednesday, got to Marx Brothers on Friday but then got stuck (should have guessed "horn", which might sort of count). Given the category, I was shocked to get Thursday's, but it turns out that it was asking about two out of the three (professionally performed) musicals I've actually attended. Blind squirrels and the like...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

Monday easy, Tuesday easy, Thursday half easy half unsure guess, Friday not exactly easy but a quick solve. No regrets on missing Wednesday; I just wasn't going to get it with the information given.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday's FJ was the second in a row that I went blank on, though I should have known it. No such problems the rest of the week, at least on FJ. I don't know why I know that Hallmark is in Kansas City, but I do...My response on Friday, accordion, seems to be the popular wrong response - I suppose because of its Germanic origin, not that I could have confidently been sure of that. Lawrence Welk was floating around in my head, but I couldn't pin down Harpo even when Alex started explaining...
I got lucky with Henry 8 - I never really tried to memorize the wives' order, but I guess Anne is hard to forget. The other Henry's line is imprinted, and I'd have to move if I couldn't identify the Hudson.
I assumed the ruling would be overturned, not because I knew anything about those cards, but it sounded so specific and credible. But then, I figured the same thing about "cyanin" (or "cyanine"? which I now know is a dye...) Where did that come from??
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had never heard 'cigarette card' and didn't even know until reading it that that was what was said.

This might be the first time ever that I got more of the 'extras' than the FJ!s.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TheGrandPiano wrote:MarkBarrett, I hate to sound picky, but the response for those viewing the Thursday Final Jeopardy is both Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera.
That's not picky. That's helpful. Thanks - fixed.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote:The other Henry's line is imprinted, and I'd have to move if I couldn't identify the Hudson.
It was the East River. (I couldn't even come up with the Hudson in that quick moment; if I had, I probably would have said it.)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Friggin' Hallmark...
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote:
davey wrote:The other Henry's line is imprinted, and I'd have to move if I couldn't identify the Hudson.
It was the East River. (I couldn't even come up with the Hudson in that quick moment; if I had, I probably would have said it.)
Thank you. So I guess I do have to move... I should review these questions more carefully...(I think in the game I thought of Hudson first then, since I live in Queens, realized how ridiculous that was...At least, I hope so!)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

This was a heartbreaking week. On Monday I had Macedonia right away but then switched to Serbia because I thought that Macedonia became a country before 1991. I almost overlooked the TOM on Tuesday but managed to get it about 15 seconds in. No chance at Hallmark. I got Phantom of the Opera right away but blanked on Les Miserables, and definitely should have gotten it. I had no chance on Friday's and was thinking in terms of people who were famous for being musicians (specifically jazz musicians), not actors.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Blew the Monday FJ by not thinking twice about the year (300BC). My precall candidate (the Minoans) got me into trouble, as it set me down the path of civilizations that preceded the Greeks instead of one that followed. The best I could come up with was the Cyprus or Palestine (Phoenicians), neither of which came close to fitting the TOM.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Ginsberg over Kerouac, latter I couldn't think of
Karat over Hallmark, was not going to get this one at all

In the coin flip between Hudson and East...I stayed quiet. Geography of NYC is something that keeps biting my rear when it comes up...

Figured cigarette card would be reversed as bubble gum card is a more modern, accurate (well, as of til the mid 1990s) term for baseball cards too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

I knew Hellenistic -> Greek, but couldn't make the tiny hop over to Macedonia.

I knew "beat" was the TOM, but couldn't make the tiny hop to Kerouac.

I knew full well that Hallmark is based in KC, but couldn't think of a single KC-based company.

Thursday, I said "screw it, I don't know any musicals."

I knew that Harpo was originally named Adolph and was a harpist. But I still went Adolph->German->accordion. Bad clue IMO.

I can never keep Henry VIII's wives straight. NHO the Kissinger quote. Almost WAGged Hudson because I forgot that's not the only river in NY.

Terrible week for me.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :( :( :D :D
:D :D :D :D

I had Ginsburg instead of Kerouac (I didn't even think about the names and the French-Canadian part of the clue—d'oh!), and I was able to come up with Hallmark only after the music ended.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :cry:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|
Wasn't sure about the reversal, but thought she had a case.