Wednesday, December 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7428, 2016-12-21

Cindy Stowell game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Johnson, a personal assistant from Chicago, Illinois
Sam Scovill, a G.I.S. technician from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Cindy Stowell, a science content developer from Austin, Texas (whose 6-day cash winnings total $103,803)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We have not talked about it yet on the program, but before she came to us, Cindy's ambition was to come to Jeopardy! and win over $100,000. She's done that. Can she keep it going? Today she faces Jennifer and Sam. Good luck, players. Here we go. Put you to work right now in the round with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HERE COMES SANTA CLAUS (5/5) (Alex: Of course!)
WORKING WOMEN (3/3)
RHYMIN' SIMON (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word like RHYMIN' that rhymes with SIMON. But don't put a G in there!)
WHERE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
YOUR HEART (5/5)
ON YOUR SLEEVE (3/3) (Alex: Of course.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cindy!: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Sam: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Jennifer: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $3,600
Jennifer: $0
Cindy!: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jennifer Johnson is a personal assistant from Chicago, but she spent about 10 years working in New Orleans on Bourbon Street as?

Jennifer: As a Bourbon Street bartender.

Alex: What's the fun thing about working on Bourbon Street?

Jennifer: It's never the same job day after day. It's always going to have something to offer you that's different and new.
And everybody who comes there is looking for a good time. And they find it most often.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, thank you.

Alex: Sam Scovill is from Oklahoma city, Oklahoma. Sam was born without a middle finger...

Sam: That's right.

Alex: ...on his hand.

Sam: And he has managed to have some fun with that.

Alex: Yes, my senior year of high school, I was going through a field trip to teach some elementary school kids how to write a story, basically. And my friend, frank, basically without me knowing said, "My friend, Sam, is gonna do a magic trick for you guys. He's gonna make his finger disappear."

Alex: Oh, jeez.

Sam: And I did that and I told them I don't know how to make it reappear.

Alex: You freaked out a whole bunch of kids.

Sam: It was great!

Alex: It was great?

Sam: It was fantastic.

Alex: [Laughs] Okay.

Alex: Cindy Stowell--she's our champion, ladies and gentlemen. And as you've noticed over the past week of her appearances on Jeopardy!, she's very calm, she's quiet, she's polite. And yet, this young lady did something unusual on a boating trip through Europe with her mom. What did you do?

Cindy: So my mom took me on a cruise of northern Europe. And the average age of the people on the ship was probably, I don't know, like, 65. And so I really didn't have anyone to hang out with. And this was, like, 15, 20 years ago. And so, I found myself with a bunch of teenagers. And one of them was from the U.K. And as we were going into Dover, he organized this kind of midnight rally on the top deck where we, um, we mooned France.

[Laughter]

Alex: Guys get you into a lot of trouble. We know that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cindy! found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Cindy! had $400, Sam had $3,600, and Jennifer had nothing in the bank. Cindy! wagered $1,000.

WHERE $800: In Beijing, 178 walled-in acres, home to 24 emperors
(Alex: Alright. Let's see if you can get back into this. You have $400, you can risk up to $1,000. You know that)
(Cindy: Um, I'd like to bet $1,000.)
(Alex: $1,000 it is. Here it is.)
(Cindy: What is [*]?)
(Alex: You are on the board with $1,400.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RHYMIN' SIMON $600: Hinderin' with trivialities, not coins
(Jennifer: [shakes head])
(Alex: Oh, that's too bad. Sam or Cindy? What is [*]?)

RHYMIN' SIMON $1000: Playin' Scott Joplin tunes on the piano
(Cindy: What is jivin'?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sam: $4,400
Cindy!: $4,000
Jennifer: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BUILT LIKE A GREEK GOD (5/5) (Alex: A whole category about me.)
3-WORD BOOK SUMMARY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
____ THE ____ (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PARDON MY FRENCH (4/5)
1895 (1/5) (Alex: A great year.)
THE DEL-TONES (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Jennifer: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Cindy!: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Cindy! had $4,400, Sam had $4,800, and Jennifer was at $4,800. Sam wagered $1,000.

____ THE ____ $800: To do this provides little sustenance for the amount of mastication, which may be why it refers to idle chatter
(Alex: And look at those scores! You and Jennifer tied for the lead, Cindy just $400 behind.)
(Sam: Let's do $1,000 please.)
(Alex: $1,000 it is. Here is the clue.)
(Sam: What is [*]?)
(Alex: That's it! [*]. You're in the lead all by yourself.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sam who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Cindy! had $4,400, Sam had $6,200, and Jennifer was at $8,000. Sam wagered $1,000.

3-WORD BOOK SUMMARY $800: 1878: Vronsky. Train. Oops
(Alex: You're $1,800 off the lead.)
(Sam: Let's do $1,000 again.)
(Alex: Here it is.)
(Alex: That's it! Leo Tolstoy.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PARDON MY FRENCH $2000: From the French for "light of hand", it's the art involved in sleight of hand

____ THE ____ $1600: "Sister Carrie" uses this dessert phrase that now means to surpass all others in a bad or unusual way
(Alex: And that dessert phrase is [*].)

1895 $400: William G. Morgan invented this team sport that's played indoors by teams of 6 players
(Sam: What is hockey?)
(Alex: [making a setting motion] The sport is [*].)

1895 $1200: This Asheville, North Carolina mansion was nearly finished after 6 years, so the Vanderbilts moved in
(Jennifer: What is Baltimore?)
(Alex: Jennifer, you were so close. It's [*]. [*].)

1895 $1600: Oscar Wilde withdrew his libel case against this nobleman but the publicity led to his own conviction for "gross indecency"
(Alex: And the nobleman was [*]. With less than a minute to go, now, Sam.)

1895 $2000: These brothers showed their first movie to a public audience at the Grand Cafe

THE DEL-TONES $2000: Perhaps finding it a "Cruel World", in 2014 she unleashed a bit of the old "Ultraviolence"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sam: $11,600
Cindy!: $10,400
Jennifer: $9,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITTLE COUNTRIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Sam: Wager $9,201 to cover Cindy!.
Cindy!: You ought to wager to cover Jennifer, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $10,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,800 (to shut out Jennifer) or less than $8,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jennifer). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Sam.
Jennifer: You ought to try wagering between $801 and $7,200. This will top a $0 wager by Cindy! while still beating Sam and Cindy! on the Triple Stumper (should Sam wager to cover Cindy!'s doubled score and Cindy! wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the closest nation to the mainland U.S. where cars customarily drive on the left

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $9,600 + $2,002 = $11,602 (What is the Bahamas?) (3rd place)
Cindy!: $10,400 + $8,801 = $19,201 (What is the Bahamas?) (2nd place)
Sam: $11,600 + $10,401 = $22,001 (What is Bahamas Bermuda? Jamaica?) (New champion: $22,001)
(Alex, to Sam: Let's take a look at what he wrote, crossed off, and wrote again. Started off with Bermuda, crossed that off, went to Jamaica, and then wound up with [*]. A good place to wind up today. And it'll be even better if you risked enough. And you did.)

[After credits]
(Alex: For the past six Jeopardy! programs, you folks have been getting to know the talented champion Cindy Stowell. Appearing on our show was the fulfillment of a lifelong ambition for that lady. What you did not know is that when we taped these programs with her a few weeks ago, she was suffering from stage IV cancer. And, sadly, on December 5th, Cindy Stowell passed away. So, from all of us here at Jeopardy!, our sincere condolences to her family and her friends.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sam: $11,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Cindy!: $10,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Jennifer: $9,600, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $31,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Cindy!: 19/59 = .322
Sam: 19/60 = .317
Jennifer: 11/58 = .190
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WORKING WOMEN $400: She's the author, commentator, and media mogul seen here

RHYMIN' SIMON $400: Makin' a melodious ringin' sound by strikin' a small bell
(Sam: What is strikin'?)

RHYMIN' SIMON $800: Preparin' a pump by pourin' water into it
(Cindy: What is priming?)
(Alex: Yes! No...)
(Alex: [*], yes, Cindy, you slipped up there, you threw that G in, and I warned you!)

WHERE $200: In this city, the Eero Saarinen-designed landmark seen here

ON YOUR SLEEVE $200: The four letters to the left of the crown stand for this

YOUR HEART $600: When the heart doesn't pump enough blood, other fluids clog up your body & you have this type of "heart failure"
(Cindy: What is congenitive?)

YOUR HEART $800: In the '90s rare heart-valve lesions were found in women taking this homophonic diet drug, which soon went bye-bye
(Alex: Right you are, with less than a minute now.)

YOUR HEART $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) When blood flow to the heart is reduced by plaque or a clot, the heart muscle is deprived of oxygen & begins to die; the result is a heart attack known medically as this, M.I. for short

ON YOUR SLEEVE $400: On an army patch for a special 1945 project, a question mark represents secrecy with the tail splitting this

ON YOUR SLEEVE $600: A military badge of this country recently at odds with Russia shows a trident over its blue and yellow flag

BUILT LIKE A GREEK GOD $1600: This blacksmith god must have been hurt by the infidelities of his wife Aphrodite & could have said "You're fired!"
(Sam: Who is Vulcan?)
(Jennifer: Who is "Hephaeshtus"?)
(Alex: Say it again.)
(Jennifer: "Hephaeshtus".)
(Alex: That's good. That's close enough. [*].)
(Jennifer: Okay.)

BUILT LIKE A GREEK GOD $2000: Beneath the clock is this god of time--not the same as the father of Zeus, though their names sound alike

THE DEL-TONES $800: Del Shannon wondered in 1961 why--why, why, why, why, why "my little" this title person took off
(Alex: My little [*], right you are.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Forbidden City
nickel-and-dimin'
ragtimin'
chew the fat
Anna Karenina
legerdemain
take the cake
volleyball
Biltmore
the Marquess of Queensbury
the Lumière brothers
Lana Del Ray
the Bahamas
Arianna Huffington
chimin'
primin'
St. Louis
the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
congestive
fen-phen
myocardial infarction
the atom
Ukraine
Hephaestus
Chronos
Runaway
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITTLE COUNTRIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the closest nation to the mainland U.S. where cars customarily drive on the left

Cindy Stowell: 10400+8801=19201
Sam Scovill: 11600+10401=22001 (New champ)
Jennifer Johnson: 9600+2002=11602

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bahamas (Sam – Bermuda Jamaica)

Daily Doubles
Cindy: 400+1000
Sam: 4800+1000
Sam: 6200+1000

Coryats
Cindy: 10200
Sam: 11200
Jennifer: 9600

Combined: 31,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Well, if she had to lose, I'm glad it was a well fought game. Nice little tribute at the end of the show as well. I got a little choked up, I will say.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

FJ: Couldn't remember which of Bermuda or Bahamas were closer to the U.S. mainland. Finally guessed right.

Thanks to Alex for his coda at the end of Cindy's run, congratulating her and informing non-regular J! viewers of her unique situation.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

What a great game, hard fought by everyone until the end. I almost thought she had it until I saw which way Sam's coin flip landed. Cindy goes out a superchamp.

Alex's words were simple but touching. I'm so glad CIndy was able to live her dream.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Two slips of the tongue cost Cindy the game. On the Rhymin' Simon, she added a "g", saying "priming" instead of "primin'" which Sam got on the rebound ($800 clue causing a $1600 difference) then later saying "congenitive" instead of "congestive" (another rebound get by Sam on a $600 clue). But for those two responses, Cindy would have had the lead going into FJ. But an amazing run by an amazing woman. Sorry to see it end.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

RIP Cindy.

I had hopes Sam would not make the MSB based on his timid DD wagers.

I got FJ, but I thought it was going to be about one of the microstates.

I hated the rhymin category.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Kenny wrote:FJ: Couldn't remember which of Bermuda or Bahamas were closer to the U.S. mainland. Finally guessed right.

Thanks to Alex for his coda at the end of Cindy's run, congratulating her and informing non-regular J! viewers of her unique situation.
I approve this message.

I knew the FJ because I looked the wrong way and barely avoided getting hit by a car while on vacation with my wife in The Bahamas.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wish Alex's message had been right after FJ and before the credits. Some people may not have been aware of her situation and if they don't sit through all the credits they would not have seen it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

SavoyGirl wrote:Two slips of the tongue cost Cindy the game. On the Rhymin' Simon, she added a "g", saying "priming" instead of "primin'" which Sam got on the rebound ($800 clue causing a $1600 difference) then later saying "congenitive" instead of "congestive" (another rebound get by Sam on a $600 clue). But for those two responses, Cindy would have had the lead going into FJ. But an amazing run by an amazing woman. Sorry to see it end.
That's assuming that Sam would have wagered the same on his DDs. But that's a nitpick. I agree that a Cindy firing on all cylinders would likely have had the lead going into FJ.

I feel kind of relieved, though. It was harder and harder to watch, knowing how she was pushing herself and suppressing her pain and forcing her mind to focus. I think this was a good stopping point, a good place for her to get some much needed sleep and wake up smiling at what she'd accomplished. Superchamp. Over $100k. Wow. Hats off and a moment of silence.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rock on, Cindy.

So I'm supposed to recognize Ariana Huffington from just her face?

Ran Rhymin' Simon.

Myocardial, strangely, was my only get in Heart.

WLT potatoes at $400?

Oddly, got only the bottom two in French.

Clammed on Deliverance because I didn't know it was a book. Otherwise no hope there.

Volleyball can be played INdoors?!?

Mom said Bermuda, I had no guess.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Well, it had to end sometime. But what a ride, and what a demonstration by Cindy of sheer force of will, and not even letting Stage 4 cancer get in the way of achieving her dream. I don't think any of us will ever forget what we saw during the last 7 episodes. RIP Cindy.

I was sort of spoiled on the result. But even if I hadn't been, Alex's unusual comment at the beginning that Cindy had fulfilled her goal of winning at least $100K (I can't remember him ever making that type of comment about a contestant, even a superchamp) seemed to portend that the run would be over -- even though Alex couldn't have known what the result of the game would turn out to be. I did briefly think that it was a spliced-in comment, and that Alex was going to go on to say that Cindy's goal had been to win $100K "for cancer research."

Even in defeat, and even making mistakes and leaving Lach Trash that a healthy Cindy never would have, she didn't go down easy. She finished 6 for 7 on FJ's, too.

Alex's post-game tribute was very classy and well-delivered, and I have to admit that it had me tearing up.

I agree that the rhymin' Simon category was dumb.

I missed the FJ, stupidly guessing Belize and not even having the presence of mind to think of closer countries in the Caribbean. I was just in the Bahamas in February, and I didn't remember motorists having driven on the left there; but that's no excuse.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
SavoyGirl wrote:Two slips of the tongue cost Cindy the game. On the Rhymin' Simon, she added a "g", saying "priming" instead of "primin'" which Sam got on the rebound ($800 clue causing a $1600 difference) then later saying "congenitive" instead of "congestive" (another rebound get by Sam on a $600 clue). But for those two responses, Cindy would have had the lead going into FJ. But an amazing run by an amazing woman. Sorry to see it end.
That's assuming that Sam would have wagered the same on his DDs. But that's a nitpick.
I don't know. When one wagers to not even take the lead when it is well within reach...

About the game, about Cindy, what else can be said that hasn't been already?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

The last time I got teary-eyed from "Jeopardy!" was four years ago, when I was defeated during my second appearance.

Until tonight.

What a woman, what a game, what courage...

I loved Alex's classy tribute at the end, but I was hoping that they would flash the address for the charity that Cindy's winnings are going to... and I was also hoping that Sony was going to match the donation.

So there.

Oh, and I got FJ right, from an old John D. MacDonald mystery I read years ago, about day boaters setting out from Florida to the Bahamas... and I know that they don't do that to Bermuda...
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Kenny wrote:FJ: Couldn't remember which of Bermuda or Bahamas were closer to the U.S. mainland. Finally guessed right.

Rightly or wrongly, I ruled Bermuda out since it's a territory and not a country - it's not a UN member. But the word "nation" is open to interpretation.

Kudos to Cindy. I got teary-eyed at Alex's tribute. Classy of the show to do that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BADuBois wrote:Oh, and I got FJ right, from an old John D. MacDonald mystery I read years ago, about day boaters setting out from Florida to the Bahamas... and I know that they don't do that to Bermuda...
That and Bermuda's not a country. It's a British Overseas Territory. So if Bermuda were closer to mainland US than the Bahamas, the correct response to FJ would have been "What is the UK? More or less? It's complicated...."

I avoided Bermuda, Barbados, and the Bahamas as FJ responses because I have trouble remembering which one isn't its own country. So I went with Jamaica. Close, but no spliff.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cindy found one of the Daily Doubles, but needed one in the DJ! round to continue her streak. I have to believe she would have known "chew the fat" and/or Anna Karenina. Instead Sam found those DDs and did enough to have the lead for the FJ! round.

The rebounds that Cindy served up to Sam were unfortunate in a close game when one thing going differently could have made a difference. As it played out Sam had the lead, got the FJ! clue correct, Cindy played a close 2nd and Cindy's loss was not last week, but instead in game 7.

During the late summer if someone posts one of those threads about the highlights of Season 33 the top spot is already taken.

I lost a 50/50/90 Dawson Crossin' on the FJ! clue. Bahamas was first and early which would have been a great time to put the pen down. Instead I kept thinking and added Bermuda with less than five seconds to go. Not trusting my first instinct I went the wrong way.

Country or not, distance, left vs. right etc. are all nice facts it would have been useful to have at hand. My thinking for the switch was Bermuda tied to Britain and Bermuda Triangle by U.S. and Cuba area, so fairly close.

Nice job by the players to go 3/3 on it even with Sam having to show his work for it with the cross outs.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Rest in peace, Cindy. I'm at a loss for any other words. My deepest sympathies to her family and friends.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sadly I completely forgot the Bahamas existed. (Or maybe I was thinking of small countries that are mostly in one piece like Singapore or Cyprus or, myanswer, Jamaica.)

Why is Bacchus or Dionysus both accepted? Bacchus was the only one that came to mind for me but I clammed because I was positive he was a Roman god and I couldn't think of his Greek equivalent at the time. With s "Greek god" category, unless I'm wrong about Bacchus' nationality, he shouldn't be accepted.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012