Wednesday, February 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7458, 2017-02-01

Lisa Schlitt game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Amanda Harvey, an arts administrator from Newton, Massachusetts
Julie Bradlow, a corporate tax attorney from Charlotte, North Carolina
Lisa Schlitt, a microbiologist from Berwyn, Pennsylvania (whose 3-day cash winnings total $64,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good day for me. I get to spend a half-hour in the company of three very bright women. Good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PULITZER PRIZE JOURNALISM (5/5)
COUNTRY MUSIC ALBUMS (4/5)
ANIMALS IN FRENCH (5/5)
WRITING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANNUAL EVENTS (5/5)
"BOO"! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Julie: 8 R, 0 W
Amanda: 9 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lisa: $4,400
Amanda: $2,800
Julie: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Amanda Harvey is an arts administrator from Massachusetts who is a former opera singer.

Amanda: Yes.

Alex: What are we talking about here?

Amanda: My college major was vocal performance. And then--I was a soprano, and after school, or after I graduated, I decided to go onto the other side of things, and now I work at a community music school.

Alex: Coloratura, mezzo, what?

Amanda: Lyric soprano.

Alex: Lyric soprano. Okay, good for you.

Alex: Julie Bradlow is a corporate tax attorney who is also into music--a big music fan. So much so that you attend how many shows a year?

Julie: I don't count, but I think it's about 30.

Alex: What are we talking about? Broadway musicals, that kind of thing?

Julie: Um, more--

Alex: Or concerts?

Julie: Everything. More concerts.

Alex: Yeah?

Julie: Everything from rock and roll, classical, jazz, country, Americana.

Alex: Okay, good. I like that.

Alex: Lisa Schlitt, microbiologist. She's our champion. Almost caused an international incident. What did you do, young lady?

Lisa: Okay, going back to when I lived in Germany, I went with my dad to visit East Berlin, when that was still a thing. And we went on the other side of the wall. And as a four-year-old, the only thing I understood really was Communism was bad and scary. So while we were there, right in front of the commissars, I started freaking out and I wanted to go back to the safe side. And meanwhile, my father, who worked for the government at the time, had extra money, more than he was allowed, shoved in his boot.

[Laughter]

Lisa: Luckily, nothing happened.

Alex: Got news for you. East Berlin in those days, you could get a sumptuous meal for a buck fifty.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Lisa had $5,800, Julie had $2,400, and Amanda was at $2,800. Lisa wagered $1,000.

WRITING $1000: Created by Daniel Britton, the font seen here tries to emulate what people with this condition see when trying to read

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRY MUSIC ALBUMS $400: In 1978 this "Red-Headed Stranger" released "Stardust", an album of pop standards
(Amanda: Who is Reba McEntire?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lisa: $8,800
Julie: $4,200
Amanda: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DUAL-USE TERMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1812 the U.S. endured a literal one of these 2-word terms & beginning in 1964 enjoyed a musical one

Lisa Schlitt: 14200+6600=20800 (4x = $85,000)
Julie Bradlow: 1400+1398=2798
Amanda Harvey: 10300-7499=2801

Correct response:
Spoiler
British invasion (Amanda – What is)

Daily Doubles
Lisa: 5800+1000
Lisa: 10800-1000
Amanda: 9800+2500

Coryats
Lisa: 15200
Julie: 1400
Amanda: 9000

Combined: 25,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Re: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by slam »

Making one of my now rare appearances here to support my friend from college, Julie. At this point, I have no idea how she did (is doing? :D ), but wanted to wish her best retroactive luck.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

slam wrote:Making one of my now rare appearances here to support my friend from college, Julie. At this point, I have no idea how she did (is doing? :D ), but wanted to wish her best retroactive luck.
Don't blink today, or you'll miss the Jeopardy! round entirely. These ladies all move through the board with all due haste.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

4 wins and 85,000 bucks puts Lisa comfortably high up on the ToC tracker. Good for her for making the most of her good luck on Friday. As of right now there are no 5-timers there, which weirds me out. Not that I'm rooting for her to lose on Friday, but I do hope she wins tomorrow.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but blackbird in French. Only blackbird I know in song is "Down Came a Blackbird" by Lila McCann.

Yes, I ran Country Music Albums. And Writing, surprisingly.

"Oh, not Bettendorf, the other Quad Cities town that's in Iowa. No, not Bettendorf, that's in the clue. I SAID IT'S NOT BETTENDORF, IT'S THE OTHER ONE". Stupid Hawley-Smoot rule.

I was disappointed that "Good Fellers" didn't have a clue about "The Lumberjack" by Jackyl, since I love that song. Chainsaw solo FTW.

Surprisingly, I got this right away.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JLJ wrote:
slam wrote:Making one of my now rare appearances here to support my friend from college, Julie. At this point, I have no idea how she did (is doing? :D ), but wanted to wish her best retroactive luck.
Don't blink today, or you'll miss the Jeopardy! round entirely. These ladies all move through the board with all due haste.
I think the J! round Coryat was 17,200 as the only bump in the road was Reba McEntire as the "The Red Headed Stranger?"

slam: Nice to see a post from you. Did you know The Bellboy = Jerry Lewis? When the clue came up I thought only Julie had a chance of possibly getting it.

Febrile seemed like the choice no. 1 response, but of course fevered had to be accepted as well.
Tin Woodman would be the best response and Tin Man was accepted as well. What I wonder about is if the show would have let Tin Woodsman squeak by?

The FJ! category had a bark worse than its bite as my correct response was done before Alex finished reading.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:All but blackbird in French. Only blackbird I know in song is "Down Came a Blackbird" by Lila McCann.
"Blackbird" by The Beatles was the only one I was familiar with. Apparently there's a few:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird ... mpositions

FJ took me about 15 seconds longer than it should have but finally it clicked.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:I think the J! round Coryat was 17,200 as the only bump in the road was Reba McEntire as the "The Red Headed Stranger?"
Yeah, that one surprised me. They knew Folsom/San Quentin for Johnny Cash, but not Red-Headed Stranger + Stardust = Willie? I believe that was the only TS in the entire round too.
MarkBarrett wrote:Febrile seemed like the choice no. 1 response, but of course fevered had to be accepted as well.
I don't think I've ever heard of either of those words.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with Good Feeling but that was too early. I then tried to think of some song or musical that would fit with a war. Luckily I got it in time and was able to write it down.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. 51R. NLT 10 LT: Thermal spring/underwear; Quad City: Davenport; Cape Horn, S.AM; Point Barrow, AK > Wiley Post flies The cowboy philosopher Will Rogers to their mutual demise; Green hills of Africa >Hemingway; Horn/Field > Craps & "Burn Card"; "Bellboy" Jerry Lewis (A truly asinine and forgettable film which I cannot forget, too disturbing); Praetorian Guard; Nero > Seneca. Grats to LIsa! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anyone else answer "boob" for a rude and unrefined person starting with BOO-?

And when they said "Directionally speaking, Hebrew, Arabic, [etc.] are written this way," anyone else go with "backwards"? :D
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bogus FJ. I had "good feeling".. Didn't like it. Went with "beetle mania" thinking of cotton crops etc. British invasion came little late.

Good going Lisa
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Febrile seemed like the choice no. 1 response, but of course fevered had to be accepted as well.
I said pyrexic. Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

FJ took me a little bit, but I got there.
Spoiler
Praetorian Guard
was a freebie if you did today's NYT crossword.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I think the J! round Coryat was 17,200 as the only bump in the road was Reba McEntire as the "The Red Headed Stranger?"
Yeah, that one surprised me. They knew Folsom/San Quentin for Johnny Cash, but not Red-Headed Stranger + Stardust = Willie? I believe that was the only TS in the entire round too.
Heck, -I- got Red-Headed Stranger, which... :shock:

Golden Age for FJ because I had absolutely nothing else.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

econgator wrote:"Blackbird" by The Beatles was the only one I was familiar with. Apparently there's a few:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird ... mpositions

FJ took me about 15 seconds longer than it should have but finally it clicked.
In addition to the Beatles' original, there's also the Crosby, Stills, and Nash cover of "Blackbird" (was a live staple of theirs, with no studio version released until the CSN box set in 1991)...no doubt mentioned in the link, but both versions were easily THE blackbird songs that came to mind with the clue for me.

As with econgator and a few others thus far, FJ took me about halfway through the think music to nail British Invasion, and really should have been an instaget. But with the FJ consistency slump I've been having, I'll most certainly take anything correct I can get right now.
opusthepenguin wrote:And when they said "Directionally speaking, Hebrew, Arabic, [etc.] are written this way," anyone else go with "backwards"? :D
*raises her hand*
Last edited by Maven on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

opusthepenguin wrote:Anyone else answer "boob" for a rude and unrefined person starting with BOO-?

And when they said "Directionally speaking, Hebrew, Arabic, [etc.] are written this way," anyone else go with "backwards"? :D
Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning. The Hebrews learn it backwards which is absolutely frightening.

- Not George Bernard Shaw
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'm glad I'm not gonna have to check the "I missed all the FJ clues" box at the end of the week, because I finally got one right. It didn't come to me straight away but it hit me like a ton of lightbulbs near the end. I quickly settled on it and figured it had to be right. Yay.

Of the DDs, I got one right (Tin Man).