Tuesday, February 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7472, 2017-02-21

2017 College Championship semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Clarissa Santori, a senior at Northeastern University from Ellicott City, Maryland
Mohan Malhotra, a freshman at NYU from Wilmington, Delaware
Viraj Mehta, a junior at Stanford University from Austin, Texas

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. On yesterday's program, Lilly Chin from MIT was the only player to come up with a correct response in Final Jeopardy! She walked offstage and immediately took a selfie of herself--

[Laughter]

--because she gets to come back to play for $100,000 dollars later this week. Clarissa, Mohan and Viraj, one of you three will be joining her. Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEY NAMED A SCHOOL FOR ME (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FRENCH HISTORY (5/5)
A LIQUID CATEGORY (5/5)
PROVERBIAL VERBS (4/5)
STATES BY COUNTIES (4/5)
THE NEW YORK TIMES MOVIE REVIEWS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Clarissa: 15 R (including 3 rebounds), 0 W
Viraj: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mohan: 1 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Viraj found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Viraj had $400, Mohan was scoreless, and Clarissa had nothing in the bank. Viraj wagered $1,000.

THEY NAMED A SCHOOL FOR ME $600: An arts patron & son of French immigrants gave his name to this school that's located at Lincoln Center in New York
(Viraj: What's Rockefeller University?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Clarissa: $4,400
Viraj: $1,400
Mohan: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The CSI series is very popular on television. Clarissa Santori, you're a chemistry major at Northeastern. And you took a class in forensic chemistry that enables you to watch shows like the CSI programs and critique the science that goes on.

Clarissa: Yes. So as my friends could attest, one of my favorite things to do in watching shows like that, of which there are of course quite a few, is to point out all the scientific errors that they make. Um, and so I took this forensic chemistry class, and I really got a lot more ammunition to do just that. Some people might ask why I still watch them, but I just enjoy it.

Alex: They're enjoyable programs, even though the science may not be quite--

Clarissa: Absolutely.

Alex: --up to your standards.

Alex: Mohan Malhotra from Wilmington, Delaware. His major is business. But as we discovered with Lilly Chin yesterday, a lot of you players in our championship like to do things to relieve stress, and it has to do with food. And that applies to you, right?

Mohan: Yes, it does, Alex. I actually started baking as a form of stress relief in 11th grade. Um, and have mostly, like, continued it since then. Started baking cheesecakes--love cheesecakes.

Alex: Yeah. Lot of stress on a freshman.

Mohan: A lot.

Alex: And do you share your cheesecake with all of your friends, or do you keep--

Mohan: I mean, I gained so much weight eating cheesecake, I had to start sharing it.

[Laughter]

Mohan: My college roommates help me get the weight off by eating most of it now.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Viraj Mehta is from Austin, Texas. His major is mathematics. And you took a class in differential geometry which helped you analyze another food product.

Viraj: Yeah, there's a theorem in differential geometry that explains really well why if you fold a slice of pizza, the tip stays in the air so you can eat it easily. And that was really cool to work out in class.

Alex: So you came up with a formula that explains that?

Viraj: Yeah. Gauss.

Alex: Maybe just thick crust?

Viraj: Or that.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PROVERBIAL VERBS $600: "He who ____ last, ____ longest"

STATES BY COUNTIES $1000: Missoula,
Mineral

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Clarissa: $8,800
Viraj: $5,000
Mohan: -$1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HALO (3/5)
UNCHARTED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NO MAN'S SKY (5/5)
"FALL"/"OUT" (5/5)
THE ELDER SCROLLS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VIDEO GAMES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mohan: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Viraj: 10 R, 2 W
Clarissa: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mohan snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Viraj had $10,600, Mohan had $1,800, and Clarissa was at $10,800. Mohan wagered $2,000.

THE ELDER SCROLLS $2000: The feasting hall is happy for a while after this title Geat rips the arm off a monster; then the monster's mom shows up
(Mohan: This title Geat... so I guess they're looking for "What is [*]?")

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mohan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Viraj had $9,800, Mohan had $7,400, and Clarissa was at $10,800. Mohan wagered $3,000.

UNCHARTED $1600: To avoid a rocky crater, Neil Armstrong manually flew the Apollo 11 lunar module to this "sea"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HALO $1600: The narrow-angle type of this eye pressure disease may result in seeing halos around lights

HALO $1200: Known for "Watchmen", this graphic novelist came into prominence with "The Ballad of Halo Jones" in 1984

VIDEO GAMES $1600: You'll receive mercy from Mercy in this game, and maybe, just maybe, you'll get the play of the game

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mohan: $15,600
Clarissa: $14,400
Viraj: $13,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD POLITICS
(Alex: The clue is very, very topical.)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Mohan: Wager $13,201 to cover Clarissa.
Clarissa: You ought to wager to cover Viraj, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $14,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $12,400 (to shut out Viraj) or less than $12,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Viraj). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Mohan.
Viraj: You ought to try wagering between $1,001 and $11,000. This will top a $0 wager by Clarissa while still beating Mohan and Clarissa on the Triple Stumper (should Mohan wager to cover Clarissa's doubled score and Clarissa wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In August 2015 3 retired Marines helped raise the U.S. flag in this city where they'd hauled it down 54 years earlier

FINAL SCORES
Viraj: $13,400 - $6,000 = $7,400 (What is Seoul?) (Finalist)
Clarissa: $14,400 - $14,300 = $100 (What is Iwo J Iwo Jima) (3rd place)
Mohan: $15,600 - $13,201 = $2,399 (What is Saigon?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Clarissa: $14,400, 22 R, 0 W
Viraj: $14,400, 21 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Mohan: $14,200, 11 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $43,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Clarissa: 22/58 = .379
Viraj: 21/59 = .356
Mohan: 11/60 = .183
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THEY NAMED A SCHOOL FOR ME $400: It's the school in Lexington, Virginia named for the two men seen here

A LIQUID CATEGORY $200: This liquid that circulates in the vascular systems of trees contains dissolved sugars & mineral salts
(Mohan: What is water?)

A LIQUID CATEGORY $1000: Another word for smoked fish is also the abbreviation for this rocket fuel
(Mohan: What is gas?)

PROVERBIAL VERBS $400: "____ not, want not"
(Viraj: What is ask?)
(Mohan: What is need?)

THE ELDER SCROLLS $1200: In "The Ramayana", Rama & Sita get a little assistance from Hanuman, a general of these creatures

NO MAN'S SKY $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a constellation on the monitor.) Look for the Big Dipper, then for the three pairs of stars that form the paws when tracing the entire figure of this constellation

NO MAN'S SKY $2000: By the mid-'90s Carolyn Shoemaker had discovered more of these than anyone else alive, including Shoemaker-Levy 9
(Viraj: What are asteroids?)

HALO $2000: In the eclipse here, we see the halo that's the sun's outer atmosphere, known by this 6-letter term

VIDEO GAMES $2000: "Hyrule Legends" & "Link's Crossbow Training" are Wii options in this "legendary" game series
[ERRATUM: There is no game by the name Hyrule Legends. Hyrule Warriors is a title for the Wii U, and Hyrule Warriors: Legends is a title for the 3DS.]

VIDEO GAMES $800: An 11th-generation countess, she uses archaeological techniques that have been confused with treasure hunting

NO MAN'S SKY $400: The name of this zodiac constellation comes from a Latin word for "maiden"
(Viraj: Who is...)

HALO $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows two haloed figures on the monitor.) Around 700 A.D. saints had round halos, and living people, like John VII of this holy position, got square ones

CORRECT RESPONSES
Juilliard
laughs
Montana
Beowulf
the Sea of Tranquility
glaucoma
Alan Moore
Overwatch
Havana
Washington and Lee
sap
lox (or liquid oxygen)
waste
monkeys
Ursa Major
comets
corona
The Legend of Zelda
Lara Croft
Virgo
popes
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD POLITICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In August 2015 3 retired Marines helped raise the U.S. flag in this city where they’d hauled it down 54 years earlier

FJ clue as image:
Spoiler

Viraj Mehta: 13400-6000=7400 (Finalist)
Mohan Malhotra: 15600-13201=2399
Clarissa Santori: 14400-14300=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Havana (Viraj – Seoul) (Mohan – Saigon) (Clarissa – Iwo J Iwo Jima)

Daily Doubles
Viraj: 400-1000
Mohan: 1800+2000
Mohan: 7400+3000

Coryats
Viraj: 14400
Mohan: 14200
Clarissa: 14400

Combined: 43,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When the discussion of players close in Coryat scores comes up then mark this game for its 14400-14200-14400 difference.

A close semifinal game with a triple miss FJ! clue opens up all kinds of possibilities for most money remaining to make the finals. Viraj was 0/2 on the big clues he played, but found a way to move on to compete in two more games.

I did the math for a decade generalization of the 1960s and wrote Saigon. I did the math for a specific year of 1961 and wrote Berlin. In a case of third time's the charm I woke up and wrote Havana and I don't know if Alex's remark about, "very, very topical" helped me or not. Obviously it did not aid the students.

After the discussion that Kenny started in yesterday's thread I found it hilarious when the DJ! round categories were revealed.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Wow, I'm sorry but those were some pretty awful guesses on FJ. Still better than nothing but yikes.

And I guess there will be a lot of talk about FJ wagering strategy, and the lack thereof.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote:And I guess there will be a lot of talk about FJ wagering strategy, and the lack thereof.
I disagree with this. Clarissa's (barely) in Stratton's Dilemma. She's going to lose anyway on the Double Stumper with Mohan if she bets to lock Viraj out, so I see no major issue with "all but $100".

Viraj's bet of $6,000 is also just find for "from third place in a four-fifths game".

I was actually pleasantly surprised by three very good wagers in this game.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Mohan really came to life in DJ!

Ran Verbs, Counties, and Fall/Out, all but lox in Liquids. Also got the lach trash on Glaucoma.

NHO any of the movies in that category except Doctor Strange, which I've actually seen.

Didn't recognize anything in French History or Uncharted.

I also knew Alan Moore but couldn't pull it in time.

Several of my friends play Overwatch, but I've never bothered looking it up so I didn't get the clue. Also couldn't identify that as Lara Croft because they cropped out her two most famous assets. Still, 3/5 was not what I expected there. And where's my Undertale clue already?!

I couldn't have had less of a WAG on FJ! if I tried.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

VERBS $1000: "Curses, like chickens, come home to ___". The player gave "roost". Would "nest" work? Is that an actual variant of the saying that is used?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote:After the discussion that Kenny started in yesterday's thread I found it hilarious when the DJ! round categories were revealed.
The girl lost, it's not fair!!!!!! :roll:

A proper wager from third results in a victory, nice. Of course had it not resulted in a victory there are those here who think it was a poor wager.

Elijah Baley wrote:And I guess there will be a lot of talk about FJ wagering strategy, and the lack thereof.
I'd really like to hear a detailed breakdown on why the FJ wagers were bad.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Golf wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:After the discussion that Kenny started in yesterday's thread I found it hilarious when the DJ! round categories were revealed.
The girl lost, it's not fair!!!!!! :roll:

A proper wager from third results in a victory, nice. Of course had it not resulted in a victory there are those here who think it was a poor wager.

I'd really like to hear a detailed breakdown on why the FJ wagers were bad.
Yes, in hindsight, I should have just said that the wagers were imprecise. I think I was just flummoxed by the guesses.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Not nearly as much as on Viraj's hand gesture during the interview segment, which lit up #Jeopardy on Twitter during both the 7:00 pm and 7:30 pm Eastern airings.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I was expecting a few reversals on Mohan, I'm sure I heard "Titanian" and "The Legend of Zoda", but either the judges didn't hear it or they didn't catch it. Regardless, he deserves the extra points for "This title Geat, so I guess they're looking for 'what is Beowulf'?"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

mfc248 wrote:Not nearly as much as on Viraj's hand gesture during the interview segment, which lit up #Jeopardy on Twitter during both the 7:00 pm and 7:30 pm Eastern airings.
I got a call, and had the sound down during his interview, why was he giving us the finger? :lol:

So I guess they all figured it had to do with war, so they guessed something related to WW2/Korea/Vietnam? 2015-54=1961 and I had Havana before Alex finished reading the clue.

I haven't played any of the most recent Tomb Raider games, so that bow-wielding generic-looking woman they had pictured didn't ring any bells, but the description made it obvious.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

As the news editor for a long-standing Nintendo fansite, I really have to wonder where they pulled "Hyrule Legends" as a Wii game from. (There's a Hyrule Warriors Legends which is a handheld version of a game on the Wii's successor.)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instagets for Goat and Frau. 52R! Get on glaucoma. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Video games. Ugh. Why do we care?

Happy to see Viraj win, but it would have been thrilling to see Mohan close it out after starting off DJ in the red. What a comeback!

Seems highly irregular for Alex to comment on FJ before revealing the clue. I think he should wait until after the think music to say anything. And how does he know the contestant's written responses before the reveal? So very strange.

TS: laughs, Montana, glaucoma, Alan Moore and Juilliard (I'm just a few blocks away)

Brain freeze on sap (maple syrup!). Said stock for broth - not sure about that one.

Need to refresh my memory of the Beowulf and Gawain tales
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What a great FJ clue! I got it easy enough once I cheated so I could do the math without distractions. I had not heard the story about the 3 marines at the embassy and that is such a cool story. I didn't know the exact year, I just know that our idiot politicians have denied my generation the privilege of visiting Cuba for no good reason. There's no way these kids have that sense of awareness of geopolitics. It sure became obvious from the guesses, but we shouldn't be too harsh on them.

I'm glad Viraj won but thought he should have just bet nil, or at most 2K. He nailed the French disco, so I thought he would get the current event FJ response. Great comeback from Mohan. I thought his DD wager was too timid, because it required him to win the clicker battle but ihe was able to get and maintain the lead.

Someone else will give Morbeedo the skinny, but I'm sure I've read that Alex sees the responses in real time to help him set up the reveals.

My question for an insider : does the music play in the studio? As I said, I had to mute the TV to do the simple subtraction math. Well, I didn't have to, I just wanted to. I'd prefer stone silence to do it for real.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

This was a day where you just wanted to shoot the TV.

Once again, I know FJ!, and they don't.

Judge Von Erich says he would not be surprised if this scores a 50 on the board once the regulars get to it.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

dhkendall wrote:I was expecting a few reversals on Mohan, I'm sure I heard "Titanian" and "The Legend of Zoda", but either the judges didn't hear it or they didn't catch it. Regardless, he deserves the extra points for "This title Geat, so I guess they're looking for 'what is Beowulf'?"
'Zoda' is the way I heard it too, both times, but not distinctly enough that I was 100% sure.

This is probably pure nitpickery, but I was a little surprised that his Beowulf response was considered to be in the form of a question, instead of a statement.
I guess since it contained a question in the response, that is close enough for the judges. And I imagine there would be some outrage if it was not accepted.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Judge Von Erich says he would not be surprised if this scores a 50 on the board once the regulars get to it.
To quote Alex: Can you BMS?

Actually, it won't help. What does this mean? If it ruins the joke, don't bother. I'm just a newbie. I think this will poll in the high 80's just like last week's FJ's. The ones that missed it, are denting their foreheads. And smiling, I hope. It was a cute clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.