Monday, March 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

French Rage
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, March 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by French Rage »

IronNeck wrote: Congratulations to the new champion, Alison. Since she mentioned being 5 feet even, I imagine she had to stand on blocks to be roughly eye-level with Rob and and Ernie?
Yup, and she'll have to do it tomorrow too, since one of the contestants for tomorrow is about 6' 2". :D
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

French Rage wrote:
IronNeck wrote: Congratulations to the new champion, Alison. Since she mentioned being 5 feet even, I imagine she had to stand on blocks to be roughly eye-level with Rob and and Ernie?
Yup, and she'll have to do it tomorrow too, since one of the contestants for tomorrow is about 6' 2". :D
Haha, best of retro-luck! You live about 10 minutes away from me, which is likely enough to consider you a hometown representative.

Also, I take comfort in knowing that if I'm ever on the show I will force someone to stand on the blocks, as I'm 6' 5".
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Well, I'm sorry if this makes me 'oh, one of those people', but Slovakia or Slovenia didn't come to me in thirty seconds (and believe me, if one did, the other would have immediately followed), and in turn I can certainly believe that only one contestant got it. Again, with feeling, it's not sour grapes, but if there truly are FJ clues that sometimes drive me up a wall, it's the ones that require two answers that are very, VERY reliant on one another, and can make you look/feel like a [channeling Fred Sanford]big dummy[/channeling Fred Sanford] if you can't get one to insta-trigger the other.

Ran the String and Run categories.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm too depressed over my upcoming 30th birthday on Friday. I'm stuck in a dead-end job in a remote nowhere town, never making anywhere close to enough money to get anywhere better, stuck in my mom's house because I can't build up to anything better.
Don't think of it as your 30th birthday, think of it as your 10th 21st birthday. WOO!! BOOZE!! I've never had this before!! *wink, wink*

Instafinal. Do you think if they said "Shares the same first four letters" would make any difference?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm too depressed over my upcoming 30th birthday on Friday.

This took me most of the music, but I actually got it once I hit on Slovakia.
happy early birthday greetings, tph! Good job on the solve.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Smartass comments about "I'm 0.025% better off than I was when I started out" sure as hell aren't helping.
LMFAO TPH, ur a yung man dood, GTHO with "Im down about 30" wait till ur 60 then come cryin to me! Good gawdamighty! U still a kid go play and be happy, mon! :lol:

PS Many Happy Returns of the Day! :D PPS Grats on FJ solve!! 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Ugh. Figured this had to be Yugoslavia and/or Czechoslovakia related; kept circling around Slovakia, but Slovenia never made an appearance in my brain pan. Oh well, at least I got the Boston Massacre.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

goatman wrote:Instaget. Been through both! Gorgeous. GG! Only 39R. Grats Allison!! TS: Boston Massacre 1770; Angels & Demons; Jefferson City, MO. :)
I'm wondering how many Jboarders got the Jeff City clue. I'm native Missourian or I'd never known it. This has to be a big YEKIOYD, since just the name of our state capital is a decent bar trivia bet in the first place. goatman very smart!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote:
goatman wrote:Instaget. Been through both! Gorgeous. GG! Only 39R. Grats Allison!! TS: Boston Massacre 1770; Angels & Demons; Jefferson City, MO. :)
I'm wondering how many Jboarders got the Jeff City clue. I'm native Missourian or I'd never known it. This has to be a big YEKIOYD, since just the name of our state capital is a decent bar trivia bet in the first place. goatman very smart!
I'm sure I did not get the 1991 clue right. By 2017 I know the connection to pick up the trash. Any pub trivia team that does not know the name of any state capital are a bunch of (fill in the blank).

#7006, aired 2015-02-16 STATE CAPITOLS $1600: A prime attraction of the capitol building in Jefferson City, Missouri is a series of murals painted by this native son
#6706, aired 2013-11-11 OLD PAINT $2000: His 1936 mural of Jesse James robbing a train is in Missouri's state Capitol
#6027, aired 2010-11-23 PAINT NO STOPPING US NOW $2000: Known for his regionalism, this Missouri muralist taught Jackson Pollock at NYC's Art Students League
#5652, aired 2009-03-17 THE JOHN C. FREMONT EXPERIENCE $1000: In 1841 Fremont secretly married the daughter of this Missouri senator (not the mural guy)
#5328, aired 2007-11-07 INSIDE THE ARTIST'S STUDIO $2000: (James Lipton reads.) Missouri-born, your 1931 mural "America Today" graced the New School for Social Research's walls for decades
#5123, aired 2006-12-13 AMERICAN ARTISTS $2000: This Missouri artist painted the mural at the Truman Library, but President Truman applied some extra touches himself
#5028, aired 2006-06-21 PAINTERS $1600: This Missouri-born muralist was the son of a congressman & the grand-nephew of a senator
#4583, aired 2004-07-07 PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARIES $1,800 (Daily Double): Along with his papers, his library contains a large mural by Thomas Hart Benton
#3378, aired 1999-04-21 1820s AMERICA $400: On Aug. 10, 1821 it entered the Union as a slave state with Thomas Hart Benton representing it in the Senate
#3187, aired 1998-06-09 WALL PAINTERS $200: This "dripper", who painted on the floor, was a student of Missouri muralist Thomas Hart Benton
#2669, aired 1996-03-21 LIBRARIES $400: The Truman Library in this city has a Thomas Hart Benton mural
#2584, aired 1995-11-23 NATIONAL STATUARY HALL $500: This state is represented by a statue of Thomas Hart Benton
#2353, aired 1994-11-23 MUSEUMS $500: The Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum has this Missouri artist's last mural
#1794, aired 1992-05-21 ARTISTS $200: Thomas Hart Benton was once a cartoonist for the Joplin American in this, his home state
#1518, aired 1991-03-20 ARTISTS $800: Murals by this Missourian appear in the Truman Library & in the statehouse in Jefferson City
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:
I'm sure I did not get the 1991 clue right. By 2017 I know the connection to pick up the trash. Any pub trivia team that does not know the name of any state capital are a bunch of (fill in the blank).

#7006, aired 2015-02-16 STATE CAPITOLS $1600: A prime attraction of the capitol building in Jefferson City, Missouri is a series of murals painted by this native son
#6706, aired 2013-11-11 OLD PAINT $2000: His 1936 mural of Jesse James robbing a train is in Missouri's state Capitol
#6027, aired 2010-11-23 PAINT NO STOPPING US NOW $2000: Known for his regionalism, this Missouri muralist taught Jackson Pollock at NYC's Art Students League
#5652, aired 2009-03-17 THE JOHN C. FREMONT EXPERIENCE $1000: In 1841 Fremont secretly married the daughter of this Missouri senator (not the mural guy)
#5328, aired 2007-11-07 INSIDE THE ARTIST'S STUDIO $2000: (James Lipton reads.) Missouri-born, your 1931 mural "America Today" graced the New School for Social Research's walls for decades
#5123, aired 2006-12-13 AMERICAN ARTISTS $2000: This Missouri artist painted the mural at the Truman Library, but President Truman applied some extra touches himself
#5028, aired 2006-06-21 PAINTERS $1600: This Missouri-born muralist was the son of a congressman & the grand-nephew of a senator
#4583, aired 2004-07-07 PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARIES $1,800 (Daily Double): Along with his papers, his library contains a large mural by Thomas Hart Benton
#3378, aired 1999-04-21 1820s AMERICA $400: On Aug. 10, 1821 it entered the Union as a slave state with Thomas Hart Benton representing it in the Senate
#3187, aired 1998-06-09 WALL PAINTERS $200: This "dripper", who painted on the floor, was a student of Missouri muralist Thomas Hart Benton
#2669, aired 1996-03-21 LIBRARIES $400: The Truman Library in this city has a Thomas Hart Benton mural
#2584, aired 1995-11-23 NATIONAL STATUARY HALL $500: This state is represented by a statue of Thomas Hart Benton
#2353, aired 1994-11-23 MUSEUMS $500: The Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum has this Missouri artist's last mural
#1794, aired 1992-05-21 ARTISTS $200: Thomas Hart Benton was once a cartoonist for the Joplin American in this, his home state
#1518, aired 1991-03-20 ARTISTS $800: Murals by this Missourian appear in the Truman Library & in the statehouse in Jefferson City
I was being a little facetious about the obscurity of our Capitol City, but just to show the state of the education system:
At one time my company pre-screened job applicants with four questions on a telephone survey : Add one-fourth plus one-half, Spell the words "Wednesday" and "business", and what is the Capitol of Missouri. You could often hear the callers asking people in the background, except, of course the ones who had been in the State Penitentary (not really true, but we had fun at their expense). Many just hung up.

Thanks for the search effort. I maybe should have more respect for his gravitas, but always considered him less important in the Global art world. I do note these are all high value clues except the ones with easy TOM's to Missouri.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: How many other pairs of countries share the same four letters to start?
Good question.

Austria, Australia
United States, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates
Turkey, Turkmenistan
Slovakia, Slovenia
South Korea, South Sudan, South Africa
Malaysia, Malawi

For a start...

edit: the "Saint" countries. St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Mauritius, Mauritania
Dominica, Dominican Republic
Niger, Nigeria
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote: I'm wondering how many Jboarders got the Jeff City clue. I'm native Missourian or I'd never known it. This has to be a big YEKIOYD, since just the name of our state capital is a decent bar trivia bet in the first place. goatman very smart!
I got it from hearing "Benton" in the clue and taking an educated guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: I'm wondering how many Jboarders got the Jeff City clue.
Yes, I knew Benton was from Missouri.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote: I'm wondering how many Jboarders got the Jeff City clue.
Yes, I knew Benton was from Missouri.
Yes, I knew it too. But then again, I spent three years in St. Louis County.
OCSam
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

twelvefootboy wrote:I'm wondering how many Jboarders got the Jeff City clue. I'm native Missourian or I'd never known it. This has to be a big YEKIOYD, since just the name of our state capital is a decent bar trivia bet in the first place. goatman very smart!
Knew Benton > MO > Jefferson City, but I probably couldn't have come up with Benton had I been given Jefferson City/MO and asked for the artist.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:...
Malaysia, Malawi
That one's devious.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm too depressed over my upcoming 30th birthday on Friday....
*sigh*

Today [3/6] was my birthday.

I've got 25 years and a few days over you TPH. God, I remember being young and poor, but I remember all the good times I had back then.

Well...oh...well...

*sigh*
OCSam
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,000
40 R/6 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: darts, hoglet, prayer

I don't mean to tread on David's territory, but Slovenia and Slovakia also have extremely similar flags.
Slovakia:

Slovenia:

sarisson wrote:I've been keeping score over the last two years, and tonight's J! round was my absolute worst ever: $3800 (11/26 with 3 negs). Fortunately I made up for it in the next round $24,800 (23/29), certainly one of my better ones.
My fortunes were eerily similar. $4,400 in the J! round on 16/26 with 5(!) negs; $25,600 in DJ! on 24/29 with 1 neg.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

My brain: "That was the one in John Adams! The massacre in Boston!"
My stupid mouth: "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre?" :roll:

LT I remember, culled from other posts: Angels & Demons (knew it wasn't The Da Vinci Code, forgot about the newer one), darts (I used to be an adventurer like you but then I took a dart in the knee on a darts team), hoglet

I don't know how I would have done on FJ if today's Pointless hadn't had a category about Europe (EU member capitals east of London -- my most confident answers were Nicosia and Bratislava, while one contestant said Lisbon, and another said Reykjavik... and there was a map!). Maybe it would have taken me a few seconds, but as it was, it was an instaget.

I think sometimes there have been contestants who do roller derby but didn't say what their names were, so I'm glad Alison did.
earendel

Post by earendel »

twelvefootboy wrote:
I got it because of the association between Benton and Missouri. Once I got that, the capital was easy.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."