Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Re: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Maven »

With or without 'Tale of', Kitty-In-Boots just by itself sounded like something Beatrix Potter would write...instaget FJ as instaget can be.

My Lach Trash greatest hits tonight included Twelfth Night and Don Adams. 60's/70's girl trapped in the 2000's I am, I couldn't help but let out a small whimper at Don Adams being a triple stumper. No respect for classic (and IMO, far and away better) telly and entertainment these days, no respect... *sighs*
IronNeck wrote:My girlfriend was absolutely incensed watching this game, moreso than she ever has watching Jeopardy. That cocky, smug wave (which I initially missed, but she made me rewind it so I could see what upset her so much) Annie gave Todd at the end of the Double Jeopardy elicited all sorts of four-letter pejoratives.

Had my girlfriend been the champion in place of Todd, I wouldn't be surprised if she would have physically attacked Annie for that stunt.
I knew there was something that rubbed me the wrong way about tonight's champ. The only other thing I'll say is that unnecessary 'Ha ha!' gestures unto your fellow opponents certainly rank right up there with interrupting Alex on my list of bigtime J! etiquette no-nos.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

IronNeck wrote:Would be even nicer if she had a shred of class or sportsmanship.
I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume her wave was not meant maliciously. It looks like Todd turns to her and tells her "Congrats" and then she waves a thank you to him.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

OSXpert wrote:
IronNeck wrote:Would be even nicer if she had a shred of class or sportsmanship.
I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume her wave was not meant maliciously. It looks like Todd turns to her and tells her "Congrats" and then she waves a thank you to him.
I can testify that that is what happened. I leaned over to congratulate her and that was her thanking me.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

OSXpert wrote:
I would also say flipping the audience off was probably a little (read: a lot) more disrespectful than that wave, but that's just me.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

French Rage wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
I can testify that that is what happened. I leaned over to congratulate her and that was her thanking me.
Shame that a harshly-worded and unverified accusation gets splashed across the internet (here and on J! Facebook) without first checking to see whether anyone might actually know the truth of the situation - especially since we knew Todd was on J!Board.

Congrats on your impressive win yesterday, Todd, and sorry to see you out today - but Annie was a real powerhouse on today's show.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

French Rage wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
:giggles:
I imagine people are going off the handle about it on Twitter also.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

French Rage wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
Sounds like an alternative fact to me!

(On a serious note, I didn't notice anything wrong either. ...though full disclaimer, Watson could handle social cues better than me.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Volante wrote:
French Rage wrote:
OSXpert wrote:

(On a serious note, I didn't notice anything wrong either. ...though full disclaimer, Watson could handle social cues better than me.)
LOL.

I honestly didn't even remember the exchange. But I saw everyone on different forums commenting so I decided to look at it closely. I definitely do lean over and say something, and that would have been "congrats" or something along those lines, and that was her thanking me.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

badgerfellow wrote:I would also say flipping the audience off was probably a little (read: a lot) more disrespectful than that wave, but that's just me.
Viraj in the college championship wasn't actually flipping off the audience. He explained the accident in a reddit thread. He was trying to explain that a knowledge of Gauss's mean curvature gleaned from his differential geometry class explained why the tip of a slice of pizza doesn't droop down when it gets bent. If you try to bend your hand like a slice of pizza the middle finger pops up. Gauss's mean curvature is the explanation for Viraj's mean hand-gesture.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

French Rage wrote:
Volante wrote:
French Rage wrote:
OSXpert wrote:

LOL.

I honestly didn't even remember the exchange. But I saw everyone on different forums commenting so I decided to look at it closely. I definitely do lean over and say something, and that would have been "congrats" or something along those lines, and that was her thanking me.
In light of this, I will give her the benefit of the doubt, too. Waving goodbye to a champion seems an unusual way to thank them, but perhaps she was standing on the blocks and didn't want to lean over?

My girlfriend, however, remains unconvinced. :)
badgerfellow wrote:I would also say flipping the audience off was probably a little (read: a lot) more disrespectful than that wave, but that's just me.
Are you referring to the College Tournament? Fairly certain that was an unintentional; he was caught between movements.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

French Rage wrote:Well you win some you lose some. I fell back and started swinging for the fences, and missed on quite a few!

And lest I forget, thank you to everyone on here who works on j-archive! It has been an amazing study tool and a fun way to kill time. I did one a day since my audition, and it helped me identify questions and subjects that came up a lot that I needed to brush up on. For some things it helped (getting Brothers Karamazov because I read a little about Tolstoy and Dostoyetsky), some it would have if I thought about it a bit more (Twelth Night instead of A Winter's Tale). I can't overstate how great the site is!
Alas, Todd we barely knew 'ye. You've showed a lot of class and composure. You ran into an automaton and she must have had Watson-like buzzer chops. Kind of like you were on Monday! Thanks for sharing and letting us in vicariously. I hope you stay around.

I Tom'd the clue to be a well known serious author whose grandkids found an old manuscript and pimped it for what they could get, sort of like Harper Lee or Margaret Mitchell. At least one other poster has as well (I'd quote it but still can't use this forum well). I settled on a bad guess of Pearl Buck. Sometimes you just out think yourself but I wouldn't have produced Bea Potter anyway. She was my Glockenspiel.

Sorry, Maven, but I came up with Don ? for Maxwell Smart, and couldn't clear Don Knotts name out to get to Don Adams. Don Knotts is one I came to appreciate later, but not at the time. I never did get the infatuation with Floyd the Barber - must be an acquired taste...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote:
French Rage wrote:Well you win some you lose some. I fell back and started swinging for the fences, and missed on quite a few!

And lest I forget, thank you to everyone on here who works on j-archive! It has been an amazing study tool and a fun way to kill time. I did one a day since my audition, and it helped me identify questions and subjects that came up a lot that I needed to brush up on. For some things it helped (getting Brothers Karamazov because I read a little about Tolstoy and Dostoyetsky), some it would have if I thought about it a bit more (Twelth Night instead of A Winter's Tale). I can't overstate how great the site is!
Alas, Todd we barely knew 'ye. You've showed a lot of class and composure. You ran into an automaton and she must have had Watson-like buzzer chops. Kind of like you were on Monday! Thanks for sharing and letting us in vicariously. The Brothers K answer was awesome IMHO. I hope you stay around the forum.

I Tom'd the clue to be a well known serious author whose grandkids found an old manuscript and pimped it for what they could get, sort of like Harper Lee or Margaret Mitchell. At least one other poster went this route as well (I'd quote it but still can't use this forum well). I settled on a bad guess of Pearl Buck. Sometimes you just out think yourself but I wouldn't have produced Bea Potter anyway. She was my Glockenspiel.

Sorry, Maven, but I came up with Don ? for Maxwell Smart, and couldn't clear Don Knotts name out to get to Don Adams. Don Knotts is one I came to appreciate later, but not at the time. I never did get the infatuation with Floyd the Barber - must be an acquired taste...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

IronNeck wrote:
Are you referring to the College Tournament? Fairly certain that was an unintentional; he was caught between movements.
It seemed unintentional at first. Guess it's in the eye of the beholder, so I will give him benefit of the doubt as well.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

IronNeck wrote:
In light of this, I will give her the benefit of the doubt, too. Waving goodbye to a champion seems an unusual way to thank them, but perhaps she was standing on the blocks and didn't want to lean over?
Gotta remember she had just won like 2 seconds earlier, there's a million things going on in your mind and you're just reacting out of instinct as that moment. So the wave was probably just her defauly acknowledgement as she's trying to catch her thoughts.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

badgerfellow wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
It seemed unintentional at first. Guess it's in the eye of the beholder, so I will give him benefit of the doubt as well.
He was of Indian ancestry too, and people from East/South Asia a lot of times use their middle finger to point the same way we use the index finger. (As someone who works in network software engineering, I have seen this a lot.)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sorry, Maven, but I came up with Don ? for Maxwell Smart, and couldn't clear Don Knotts name out to get to Don Adams.
I got the Don Adams Lach Trash but I confess my mouth started to say Don Knotts before my brain corrected it.

I got the Sir Francis Drake clue from this movie scene.
davey

Post by davey »

I learned something tonight, never knew that those clocks in town squares with figurines are called "glockenspiel clocks." Sounds like a possible future clue to me-
https://christophpaccard.com/bell-found ... el-clocks/
So thanks, Todd, for that, and congratulations for your short but sweet run. And thanks for the clear explanation of Annie's gesture.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

davey wrote:I learned something tonight, never knew that those clocks in town squares with figurines are called "glockenspiel clocks." Sounds like a possible future clue to me-
https://christophpaccard.com/bell-found ... el-clocks/
So thanks, Todd, for that, and congratulations for your short but sweet run. And thanks for the clear explanation of Annie's gesture.
I knew there was some type of Glockenspiel that has something to do with a clock! I think I was specifically remembering this 25 year old Fraiser episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkyqbtL1d3Y
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote:
He was trying to explain that a knowledge of Gauss's mean curvature gleaned from his differential geometry class explained why the tip of a slice of pizza doesn't droop down when it gets bent.
If it's dollar-slice pizza, it may. Happened to mine just last week.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: I Tom'd the clue to be a well known serious author whose grandkids found an old manuscript and pimped it for what they could get, sort of like Harper Lee or Margaret Mitchell. At least one other poster has as well (I'd quote it but still can't use this forum well). I settled on a bad guess of Pearl Buck.
As Alex likes to say: "remember the category!"