Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

"Saudi Arabia" was an absolutely hilarious response. And no, don't try to justify it. We understand even the strongest trivia minds have brain freezes, which might well have been the case here, but it doesn't mean it's not funny.

Anyways, all 3 DD bets were optimal, and 2 out of the 3 FJ bets were reasonable/optimal. Leader correctly covered. Annie prioritized potential dollars over potential number of days as champion, and the EV works out very close. 3rd place, however, should have bet zero hoping for a TS.

LT: The New York Times and Washington Post

FJ: Not quite instaget, but took about 5 seconds.
Golf

Post by Golf »

It was really great seeing contestants actually realize what was necessary in order to win and then wager everything on all three DD's. And then tempered somewhat by dreadful wagers from both Annie and Serena in FJ. I'm thinking had the clue omitted the word "citizenry" that it would have been a triple solve.

IronNeck - consider the merit of a $7001 wager from Serena in FJ if she didn't want to wager 0.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The NY Times would be a pretty obvious guess as it is the country's best known paper. The Post was the one that broke the Watergate story in addition to being based in Washington and likely having a strong political reporting staff.
Several reporters/editors from other papers are mentioned, but only one other newspaper is mentioned by name. Take a guess which one (good luck, you'll need it! :) ).
Spoiler
The St Louis Post-Dispatch
Sounds like another drum kit fell off a cliff...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Golf wrote: IronNeck - consider the merit of a $7001 wager from Serena in FJ if she didn't want to wager 0.
Ah, right you are! Yeah, she actually had a lot of reasonable wagers to work with; anything from 0-$7,400, really.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

StevenH wrote:For FJ I debated between Pitcairn Island and South Sudan, and went with the latter.
Pitcairn Island is a UK dependency, not an independent nation.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

doihavetoreally wrote:P.S. was jboard always 'not secure'..Or this the impact of last crash?
No secure website ever starts with http:// You can access JBoard by going securely to https://www.jboard.tv, but you will be met with a bogus message from your browser stating it is unsafe to proceed.
Edit: It appears that my browser now trusts cPanel's certificate.

But, no, nothing has changed. And it wasn't a crash.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. The wife AND my 11-yr old both got this one. Expected a triple get, great play from Rachel, sorry to see her miss, grats to Annie for defending!

39R. No gets on any pop music, utter loss. Don't see meself tuning in to any hip-hop or rappin radio to catch up either. I reckon other players will take those if they can.
LT: Carole Lombard, terminator line, Ed Muskie > Maine. No get on Tuscan dialect for Florentine, learned one! At least ran T science... GG Gurlz! :!: :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Instagot FJ...can't even dare to think of remotely sizable countries, let alone 99.9% of countries with that population stat, which immediately pointed to a city/state. And you certainly can't get a more male-dominant city/state with a super low population than Vatican City.

Also instagot the Nixon's Enemy List DD and got 3/5 on the 90's R&B category, which is not bad considering I grew up as the oddball who preferred classic rock (and later jazz) over the more 'hip' stuff.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

doihavetoreally wrote:
zakharov wrote:Hot take: Saudi Arabia wasn't that bad a guess if you focused on "citizenry." It's not unreasonable to think Saudi women might not be full citizens.
Rachel's answer doesn't look that bad now. Too bad.
We had tornado weather and I missed most of DJ due to signal loss.
I also hemmed and hawed about Saudi Arabia, remembering that Kuwait only has about 40,000 voters and SA could easily be even more disenfranchising. I really wanted to guess Antarctica but know that it is not a country and is some kind of weird UN or some other internationally agreed territory.
Big duh moment at the reveal. I've only followed closely recently, but the Vatican and Luxembourg are popular FJ topics.
Surely French Anger got this one after his interview segment on St. Peters!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've got to say I'm shocked that two of the three missed that FJ. Otherwise a great game and incredible victory by Annie!
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I've got to say I'm shocked that two of the three missed that FJ.
I don't know if that shocks me as much as the Saudi Arabia guess...even though Saudi Arabia is not the most densely populous country in the world, it much, MUCH more than certainly has considerably more than just 32 women. Tis a shame the contestant wrote it...I was pulling for her, and I always pull for my fellow North Carolinians. Tuvalu, on the other hand, wasn't the worst ever guess, but still has a more significant population than a church headquarters city-state.

Edited to add: I meant 32...that's what I get for Speedy Gonzales-ing between my computer and doing the dishes, AND in turn not proofreading/checking the exact number said in the clue before posting. :P
Last edited by Maven on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

While I responded correctly on FJ!, I'm coming in behind zakharov's argument. Given the reports in the news of the restrictions the liberty of women in the Kingdom, it isn't unreasonable to make a leap to a full-on deprivation of citizenship. A most esteemed member of our board mentioned the same to me on Twitter earlier tonight. Flipping that around, that was key to me getting it. "If there are only 32, it's not by birthplace, probably nor my lineage. Who might hand-pick - yep, and that makes sense - they've been patriarchal for ~2,017 years!"

Given the response I saw from TPH earlier, I feel fortunate that I locked into Ann Taylor first.

Narrows $1000 was made much easier by recalling the phrase with which Snotty beamed the President back in Spaceballs.
goatman wrote:39R. No gets on any pop music, utter loss.
Having been born in 1981, I smiled at seeing that category revealed. There was trepidation when I couldn't pull Color Me Badd on the first clue revealed... but I otherwise swept it. Subjectively, I thought Montell Jordan WAY too easy for bottom-row of Double; it might be worth our while for MarkBarrett to poll it for an objective measure.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Elijah Baley wrote:
JayK33 wrote:
StevenH wrote:For FJ I debated between Pitcairn Island and South Sudan, and went with the latter.
Good guesses, though.

I guess sometimes limited knowledge in a field isn't a bad thing. Had I had a wider range of options in my head instead of just the well-known Vatican City, I would have probably picked the wrong one as well.
Well, someone has to be the smart aleck to point out that one of those isn't a country and the other has a population of more than 12 million.
I didn't interpret the clue as implying that the report had to be accurate or close to accurate.

But yeah, my bad on Pitcairn being a dependency. I don't know why I didn't think of the Vatican, being that it is the world's smallest country and all.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yes, I think it's fairly obvious that Rachel didn't actually think there are only 32 women living in Saudi Arabia.

If you don't realize The Vatican is the only country in the world that could actually have only 32 women residents then you'd need to come up with some other rationale, and Saudi's treatment of women as that rationale certainly has some merit. To me it's a better guess than just naming some random small country that would certainly have more than 32 female residents.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Yes, I think it's fairly obvious that Rachel didn't actually think there are only 32 women living in Saudi Arabia.

If you don't realize The Vatican is the only country in the world that could actually have only 32 women residents then you'd need to come up with some other rationale, and Saudi's treatment of women as that rationale certainly has some merit.
Some people in this topic seem to be under the impression that Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that doesn't give women full rights as citizens, or that they're the worst in that regard. Both of which are wrong.

I have no idea what Rachel was thinking and won't speculate, but I will note that going with Saudi Arabia instead of Yemen, Somalia, Chad, Syria, Eritrea, Mali, Jordan, etc, etc. under that presumption is far less charitable towards her trivia knowledge than assuming she simply misread it and made a funny answer.
davey

Post by davey »

I agree that Saudi Arabia isn't a bad guess, and not only because it was my first response for about 10 seconds. It's easy to latch on to "citizenry" and make assumptions about political oppression, a day after International Women's Day. At least until you remember the far more obvious response of a place full of priests...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Some people in this topic seem to be under the impression that Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that doesn't give women full rights as citizens, or that they're the worst in that regard. Both of which are wrong.
We're not under that impression. we're responding to why Rachel may have guessed Saudi Arabia and that country has been in the news for its treatment of women far more than the other countries you mentioned whether or not those other countries are just as bad if not more so. If she thought that was the angle that clue was going for, I'd say Saudi Arabia would be the best guess.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

mfc248 wrote:
goatman wrote:39R. No gets on any pop music, utter loss.
Having been born in 1981, I smiled at seeing that category revealed. There was trepidation when I couldn't pull Color Me Badd on the first clue revealed... but I otherwise swept it.
If I were on J! and that category came up, I'd be laying my signaling device down during any of those clues, however I did know en Vougue from seeing them sing that song on SNL back in the day.

LT: Edmund Muskie, Mercury space program
davey

Post by davey »

Looking at a couple of different rankings of worst places for women, Saudi Arabia doesn't make the top 10. (Nor does the Vatican!...)
But in a survey of worst places by perception, it's number 1.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... perception
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

JLJ wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Annie was fortunate to get the repeat after failing to find the partner for the NYT in the NIXON category DD that cost her the farm.
It was a pretty small farm, more like a garden spot, at the juncture, though.

Admirable comeback work from that early DJ DD dip, though; especially with pulling the much more difficult DD2 in the round for a TDD to get fully back in the mix. So, fortunate, yes, but not just blindly lucky. It was really a very even match, all around.
I'd have to check the archive scoring but I wondered if Annie's "Watergate" neg cost her the lead going into FJ. I forget who got the rebound but if Annie had stayed clam, maybe we would have had a tie at the end of DJ? It turned out to be a moot point because of her singleton on the FInal.

Annie has been inconsistent on her FJ wagering. Risking it all when she shouldn't have bet any more than $6999 today, after leaving nearly $4000 on the table for the sake of a nice pretty round number in her first game.