FJs for the 3/6/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/6/17 week?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 pm

These 2 countries whose names start with the same 4 letters were part of different countries until the 1990s
71%
The representative body called the Estates-General met in 1614 & didn't meet again until this year
50%
“The Tale of Kitty-In-Boots”, written by her in 1914, was first published in 2016
79%
A 2011 report said the citizenry of this country included a total of 32 women
88%
Oxford Dictionaries lists his name as a verb meaning to "make or repair (an object) in an improvised or inventive way"
82%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
32%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
STARTS WITH 3 CONSONANTS $2000: Soon after his death, Joseph Haydn's head was stolen by students of this once-popular skull shape science
70%
'90s R&B HITMAKERS $2000: "I'm kinda buzzed & it's all because (This is how we do it), South Central does it like nobody does (This is how we do it)"
22%
DEATH SENTENCES $2000: A famous line from this play says, "To die will be an awfully big adventure"
15%
I did not make the "Estates-General" to France connection for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
17%
I have watched at least one episode of the "MacGyver" series that started in 1985.
53%
I have watched at least one episode of the "MacGyver" series that started in 2016.
16%
I have never seen an episode of "MacGyver."
39%
Wait, what! There are two different versions of the show, "MacGyver?"
17%
I could have named Angus as the first name of "MacGyver" if needed.
44%

Total votes: 130

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/6/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPE

3/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 countries whose names start with the same 4 letters were part of different countries until the 1990s

3/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
YEARS IN EUROPEAN HISTORY

3/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The representative body called the Estates-General met in 1614 & didn't meet again until this year

3/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S AUTHORS

3/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“The Tale of Kitty-In-Boots”, written by her in 1914, was first published in 2016

3/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIONS OF THE WORLD

3/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2011 report said the citizenry of this country included a total of 32 women

3/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV CHARACTERS

3/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Oxford Dictionaries lists his name as a verb meaning to "make or repair (an object) in an improvised or inventive way"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Slovakia & Slovenia
Beatrix Potter
Vatican City
MacGyver

The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 1-1-2-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players, one requested the players had correct and a triple stumper.

STARTS WITH 3 CONSONANTS $2000: Soon after his death, Joseph Haydn's head was stolen by students of this once-popular skull shape science

'90s R&B HITMAKERS $2000: "I'm kinda buzzed & it's all because (This is how we do it), South Central does it like nobody does (This is how we do it)"

DEATH SENTENCES $2000: A famous line from this play says, "To die will be an awfully big adventure"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
phrenology
Montell Jordan
Peter Pan
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/6/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(
No guess for Monday until after time was up.
I know the song, but not Jordan's name.
Clammed on Peter Pan although I may have guessed it if it was a DD.
Seen both versions of MacGyver although one was enough of the current version.
Know Angus.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue - 1791. Was on the right track at least...
Never seen MacGyver, but I could've gotten Angus (if spotted beforehand that first name was required).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Patty and Selma Bouvier would appreciate this week's poll.

https://youtu.be/wSsf_t8a0yo
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not a huge fan of Macgyver, but saw a number of episodes of the original and the pilot of the current version. No idea his first name was Angus.

Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

1815; figured it was France, but unsure about the year.
Never seen either MacGyver, but I'm aware of the new one. Did not know his first name.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I figured Tuesday was about the 30 years war so I went with 1648. Not sure I would have picked the right year even if I had made the connection to France.

Thursday seems Kids Week level to me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm sure I've seen bits and pieces of the original MacGyver, but doubt I've watched an entire episode. I did know MacGyver's first name was Angus. Strangely, I had no idea whatsoever there was a new version of the show.

Has anyone mentioned SNL's "MacGruber" parody yet?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Didn't check the "New MacGuyver" box because I couldn't stomach a whole episode. They turned a great adventure show about an ingenious, affable loner into another crappy NCIS-like procedural.

I would love for somebody to do as their Ph.D. thesis a taxonomy of shitty procedurals, complete with evolutionary tree showing proliferation as a function of time. Dragnet would be somewhere in the roots, the original Law and Order would have to be the trunk, the CSIs and Bones and Castle and The Mentalist and Numb3rs and Criminal Minds and Bull would have branches... I have a feeling the rehashed Time After Time is on the list, too, but I couldn't watch that one, either. Too fond of the film.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Brainstorming during the commercial break on Tuesday got me thinking about the Peace of Westphalia and the Thirty Years' War, among other things. Then, when the clue mentioned a year in the 16teens, that seemed to confirm my Thirty Years' War idea, and I couldn't make the required leap away from the topic. "Estates-General" does sound French after the fact, but it didn't click for me in those 30 seconds.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I have seen at least one episode of the old MacGyver, but possibly only one. Not to condemn it; our paths seldom crossed. I did though once ask my girlfriend the meaning of a Project Runway contestant's comment that he was the gay MacGyver of fashion.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Woo-hoo - after 36 votes I'm the only neg on Vatican City. Thank you J! writers for the "citizen" negbait (not really blaming them, I just hate Wahhabism). It didn't occur to me it could be a real statistic so I looked for the angle from the get-go. I gave up on Antarctica (not a country) and Greenland and went for the citizenship angle.

I only know of MacGuyver as a character with escape artist skills. The same thing that James Bond made cool and Jethro Bodine tried to imitate. I lost my car keys (whole briefcase, actually) on a business trip once and realized it at the airport. I was able to hot wire the engine of 1982 Thunderbird with the coat hanger antenna (these are basic skills for hillbillies/rednecks), but was defeated by the stupid steering wheel lock. I bragged about MacGuyvering it so it has been part of the parlance for a while.

Good FJ clues this week, except for AT not explaining 1789 to the masses. A good clue/solution should be titillating and make you want to learn more.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Robert K S wrote:Didn't check the "New MacGuyver" box because I couldn't stomach a whole episode. They turned a great adventure show about an ingenious, affable loner into another crappy NCIS-like procedural.

I would love for somebody to do as their Ph.D. thesis a taxonomy of shitty procedurals, complete with evolutionary tree showing proliferation as a function of time. Dragnet would be somewhere in the roots, the original Law and Order would have to be the trunk, the CSIs and Bones and Castle and The Mentalist and Numb3rs and Criminal Minds and Bull would have branches... I have a feeling the rehashed Time After Time is on the list, too, but I couldn't watch that one, either. Too fond of the film.
As a fan of Numb3rs and the first few years of the original CSI, I'm mildly offended! (not really.) But yeah, that new MacGyver is godawful. I got through the pilot, but never again.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Yes to both shows about Angus Mac (I even remember the episode where his name was first mentioned).

A better week, after a bit of a rough patch.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

2/5
1/3

I guess this counts as a "better" week for me.

Monday was tough. Neither of the two answers would come to me. No chance on Tuesday. Went with Enid Blyton on Wednesday just because I had to say someone. Potter wouldn't come to mind.
Tamest_Whiff

Post by Tamest_Whiff »

:mrgreen: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Tuesday I mixed up the beginning of the French Revolution with the beginning of the Reign of Terror. So I'm probably the only person who answered 1793.
Thursday I assumed the Vatican didn't have 32 women actually living in it. Went with Monaco instead.

Thought about Peter Pan, wasn't confidant enough to answer.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(
This Is Kirk! wrote:Has anyone mentioned SNL's "MacGruber" parody yet?
I did in Friday/March 10th's game thread.
My Inimitable Self wrote:The instaget FJs of instaget FJs...at least nobody said MacGruber. ;)
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lousy week. Clammed on Beatrix Potter (I never liked Peter Rabbit) and Peter Pan. '90s R&B was a vast wasteland for me; I can go deep, deep, deep on classic rock, blues, Motown, and Memphis, but if I ever get The Call that pseudo-rap crap is going to find me with my hands in my pockets.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cthulhu wrote:Clammed on Beatrix Potter (I never liked Peter Rabbit) and Peter Pan.
Never clam in FJ. Giving no answer is treated the same as giving a wrong answer, so if you have something, say it.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

(1945)
MarkBarrett wrote:Clammed on Peter Pan although I may have guessed it if it was a DD.
Same here. I thought "Isn't that Peter Pan?" but didn't say it. I could've looked smart for once. :roll:
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
An Awfully Big Adventure is the title of an excellent novel by Beryl Bainbridge (made into a really good movie with Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman) about a provincial English theater company doing a production of Peter Pan. Much easier for me to remember the line from that than the original play...
Never had much interest in MacGyver then or now.