Friday, March 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, March 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kevin S. wrote: To avoid leaving a blank, I probably would have scribbled "Jerry Rigg" at the last second
Jerry Rigg is so funny I think it deserves to be counted correct. :lol:
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I have never seen an episode of McGyver.
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

WTF? I have always thought that the fancy word for 'crosshairs' was reticle. Neither of my two dictionaries has an entry for recticle. Google does not seem to know such a word either.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

artshep wrote:
heppm01 wrote:Three word answer on the delegate clue: "all or nothing" vs "winner take all". What say ye judges?
I also answered "all or nothing" and think that would be accepted.

What about "authoritarianism" instead of "totalitarianism" on the $2,000 clue in 12 LETTERS OR MORE?
Another vote for "all or nothing". I think I'd rule against "authoritarianism", but I think the wording would admit either "totalitarianism" or "totalitarian".

I guess FJ! was one that seems obvious unless it just doesn't occur to you. Still a nice payday for Annie.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Foretopman wrote:WTF? I have always thought that the fancy word for 'crosshairs' was reticle. Neither of my two dictionaries has an entry for recticle. Google does not seem to know such a word either.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reticle
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Foretopman wrote:WTF? I have always thought that the fancy word for 'crosshairs' was reticle. Neither of my two dictionaries has an entry for recticle. Google does not seem to know such a word either.
OK, let me try again. There was a clue for which the accepted response was 'crosshairs.' I could have sworn that the synonym for crosshairs that they used in the clue was RECTICLE (or possibly 'rectical') rather than the expected 'reticle'. Did I imagine this or not?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Foretopman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
OK, let me try again. There was a clue for which the accepted response was 'crosshairs.' I could have sworn that the synonym for crosshairs that they used in the clue was RECTICLE (or possibly 'rectical') rather than the expected 'reticle'. Did I imagine this or not?
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Thank you, Mark. OK, so, I did not imagine it. Now, my next question, is anybody here familiar with the word 'recticle', or did somebody on the show simply make a typing error? I can't find any evidence that 'recticle' is a word, but my resources are not infallible. My aim here is not to hold the Jeopardy! writers up to ridicule. My aim is to educate myself. If 'recticle' is indeed an alternate form that is sometimes used, I'd like to know about it. Thanks.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Foretopman wrote:Thank you, Mark. OK, so, I did not imagine it. Now, my next question, is anybody here familiar with the word 'recticle', or did somebody on the show simply make a typing error? I can't find any evidence that 'recticle' is a word, but my resources are not infallible. My aim here is not to hold the Jeopardy! writers up to ridicule. My aim is to educate myself. If 'recticle' is indeed an alternate form that is sometimes used, I'd like to know about it. Thanks.
Foretopman - you have busted J! proofreaders! I use reticles regularly, never seen recticle. Congrats! You beat the sharp eyed JBoarders as well. (unless someone finds a loophole, but no way they meant to use an obscure spelling - it's a TYPO!)

I advise you not to expect an on-air retraction and commendation. I'm still bitter over my letter to DC comics as a 9 year old when they didn't acknowledge they made a mistake in a Superman comic book. 55 years of suffering, alas!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I worked 9 hours on my birthday, then went out for nachos, and was too tired to watch. Then I went to Lansing yesterday for Chick-fil-A, a choice I in no way regret.

Why is "Tell them what they've won, Johnny!" such a thing in game show parodies, when no actual game show has ever used it? Just like how game show parodies always have the audience shout the title of the show, when no show has ever actually done it. (Before anyone says Wheel! Of! Fortune! -- that one is prerecorded.)

That said, I love any and all Johnny Gilbert categories. Dude looks and sounds amazing for 92. I am convinced that both he and Betty White are both Highlanders.

6 Plays = total YEKIOYD.

NHO "two pair". Odd when $200 costs me the run, and when $200 is the only stand and stare in an otherwise well played category. I've said it before: I wonder if first-box TSes in "Word in quotation marks" categories are due to the contestants thinking that the correct response has to start with whatever's in quotation marks?

Gingko biloba easily passes my Hawley-Smoot filter.

Precalled "1989" in Her Hit Album, which was also my only get. Can't say I've heard of Carole King.

Couldn't connect any of those names to Mississippi, so 4/5 in 12 Letters. I would've needed Mac McAnally's "Back Where I Come From" to get to "Mississippian".

I had FJ! right before Alex was done reading the clue, but I almost put down "Red Green" as a joke answer.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Here's a recticle, I thot I saw that but then, "Nahhh, I read it wrong!":
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why is "Tell them what they've won, Johnny!" such a thing in game show parodies, when no actual game show has ever used it? Just like how game show parodies always have the audience shout the title of the show, when no show has ever actually done it. (Before anyone says Wheel! Of! Fortune! -- that one is prerecorded.)
That's part of what makes it a parody. It may never have been actually said, but the formulation approximates many other phrasings that have been said -- so much so that it has entered the lexicon. Captain Kirk never once said, "Beam me up, Scotty" -- that's what makes it a parody. Sarah Palin never once said, "I can see Russia from my house!" -- it's a parody (actually, a deliberately phrased parody voiced by Tina Fey on SNL).

The "Tell them what they've won" or variants have been around for a long time, especially with "Johnny." In fact, back in the 70s during congressional hearings into the "secret" bombings in Laos and Cambodia, Garry Trudeau had Laotians and Cambodians testifying in the Doonesbury comic strip that the bombings weren't secret -- they all knew about them from the explosions. The punchline to one strip was a Congressman thanking some poor peasant for their testimony, then calling out, "What do we have for the witnesses, Johnny?" The final panel of the comic was an off-screen voice announcing, "Well, for the ladies, the latest in watchbands from Spiedel...." That phrase actually became the title to one of the Doonesbury compilations of the era.

It worked as a parody because everyone was familiar enough with the concept to make the connection.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Can't say I've heard of Carole King.
It's too late.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I'm giving up, Don Pardo. Just tell me now what I didn't win.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Can't say I've heard of Carole King.

It's too late.
That was Beautiful Silver Screen Test
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

goatman wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
goatman wrote:Did anyone else notice that Annie clearly and unequivocally stated " TOTALITARIAN-ISM" which is a 15-letter word, not 12, but not negged?!
The category was 12 LETTERS OR MORE.
OFGS!!! :roll: OTH I do agree with above thread that the TOM in clue pointed to TOTAL... rather than Authoritarianism-ish. :)
I had the same reaction, not realizing the category was 12 LETTERS OR MORE. Still, IIRC, the wording of the clue pointed to an adj. - this type of government" - so the response of "totalitarianism" didn't really fit. The judges could just as easily have ruled against Annie on that one. Thought for sure she would find the last DD and run away with the game, but Lady Luck had other plans for Annie.

It's terrible to have a gaping lacuna in an otherwise solid wheelhouse. For me, that's the History plays in Shakespeare.

TS: Peter Pan!

This was a thrilling game and the weak DD wagers and bizarre clue selection by Jessica at the very end had me ripping my hair out.

Annie clearly lost her buzzer mojo in DJ. You could see her swinging her body and trying to find that sweet spot, ringing in just once, so it seemed. Crazy how buzzer mojo can so quickly fade and move to another podium.

Instaget FJ. I saw Adam and Jessica start writing immediately and Annie stare cluelessly at the board. A tough FJ to go out on from the lead, for sure.

Heartbreaking for Annie? Ok, but remember Annie goes home with $50K and we get the super smiley Jessica!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Still, IIRC, the wording of the clue pointed to an adj. - this type of government" - so the response of "totalitarianism" didn't really fit. The judges could just as easily have ruled against Annie on that one.
How does "this type" point exclusively toward an adjective? Is totalitarianism not a type of government?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote:
morbeedo wrote: Still, IIRC, the wording of the clue pointed to an adj. - this type of government" - so the response of "totalitarianism" didn't really fit. The judges could just as easily have ruled against Annie on that one.
How does "this type" point exclusively toward an adjective? Is totalitarianism not a type of government?
Of course, they both refer to the same thing, but there's a grammatical difference and the judges have ruled against contestants many times for giving the wrong form of a word.

Anyway, the clue states ''A dictatorship may be this form of government...", so maybe they were looking for the noun after all. When I heard the clue, I was thinking 12-letter word / adjective, so Annie's response was jarring, but given the category and the wording of the clue, they'd probably have to accept both.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

morbeedo wrote: Heartbreaking for Annie? Ok, but remember Annie goes home with $50K and we get the super smiley Jessica!
Based on this article, it sounded like Annie had quite the backstory. Not like Cindy Stowell, but the journey to Jeopardy was a windy one: http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/mar/ ... -jeopardy/
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

badgerfellow wrote:
morbeedo wrote: Heartbreaking for Annie? Ok, but remember Annie goes home with $50K and we get the super smiley Jessica!
Based on this article, it sounded like Annie had quite the backstory. Not like Cindy Stowell, but the journey to Jeopardy was a windy one: http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/mar/ ... -jeopardy/
Wow. Thanks for sharing that article. It's easy to make a snap judgment about a contestant based on how they look/talk/act on camera, but we really know nothing about these people. I thought Annie had a cool vibe and the waving thing didn't bother me at all, even if it looked a little awkward. I just saw some unkind posts on Twitter about Rachel, the woman at the center podium with the really flat affect in Annie's second game. People said she had an attitude and a RBF, when really she was probably just nervous or super focused. Even Alex told her she didn't look happy when she found a DD :/