Monday, March 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by 9021amyers »

econgator wrote:
grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT "1600" at $400?
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, but I thought it was a weak clue. I guessed "2008", though I got the "keeping it a hundred" reference afterwards.
Yeah, I got 3/4 of the numbers with 2016 (as in we want to keep things like they were in 2016).
As of 2017, their podcast has been renamed Pod Save America. I wonder if this episode was taped before the change.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT "1600" at $400?
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, but I thought it was a weak clue. I guessed "2008", though I got the "keeping it a hundred" reference afterwards.
I guessed "1337"...although I should have figured leetspeak is probably already too passe for that podcast's audience.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:The players kept me from a potential 5/5 of shame as I had Bachelor, Rupaul, Shark Tank and Naked & Afraid in REALITY TELEVISION. At least I only watch one of those four shows that were played.
Heh, me too. Don't watch any of those shows anymore, although I was fascinated by Naked and Afraid for a few days on vacation, when they were showing a marathon. "Why the hell would anyone agree to do this?!"

Liked Bonnie's first bet, disliked her second one. Either go for a lead or bet $5 and give yourself a chance in FJ either way. One or the other. But $3k still puts her a decent distance behind the leader if she is correct, and puts her in serious danger of being locked out if she gets it wrong, the latter of which happened. Getting the "safer" bet wrong isn't that much better than being left with either $7k or even 0.

Another solid victory by Jessica displaying a broad range of knowledge.

LT: 1600, Alec Baldwin (a lot of other potential TS, but I awoke, badly sleep-deprived, 10 minutes before Jeopardy started)

FJ: Shocker of shockers, I got a religion FJ correct! Thought of Paul instantly, but wasn't the least bit certain until the reveal.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

I can't remember, but would Bonnie have been locked out if she did nothing on the last clue and Jessica got it? If yes, then going for it maybe makes sense since leaving it up to Jessica leaves it out of your hands. (That said this is all much easier to say when you're watching.)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

French Rage wrote:I can't remember, but would Bonnie have been locked out if she did nothing on the last clue and Jessica got it?
No, she wouldn't have.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

IronNeck wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The players kept me from a potential 5/5 of shame as I had Bachelor, Rupaul, Shark Tank and Naked & Afraid in REALITY TELEVISION. At least I only watch one of those four shows that were played.
Heh, me too.
*gently smacks her head* I thought there was an 'almost ran' I forgot...that's the one. Although, it's quite obvious why it slipped my mind...

Naked And Afraid is easily the 'reality' show I've watched the most episodes of since TV Land's She's Got The Look...I would like to say I'm not proud, but I still got episodes on the DVR and find the exotic places/countries AND survival chances (scripted or not) and craziness interesting. *does her best Looney Tunes' Rocky* Shaddup...
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Am I the only one who negged the Minnesota author clue with Sinclair Lewis instead of Fitzgerald? The story mentioned in the clue seems to be pretty obscure so I don't think anyone's getting it on that. I guess you're supposed to know what they look like and get it based on that? I'm not seeing any other (reasonable) way to get it unless I missed something in the clue.

(edit: reviewing it again I see they mentioned that the author was born in St. Paul, so I guess that's another avenue)
julycoaron
Contributor

Post by julycoaron »

Here is my game from June 1988. Check out Final Jeopardy.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3450
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Jessica is a war horse. It does seem like she coasted a little early, but that could be just losing the buzzer. She knows some stuff!

Terrible game for me, 4 digit Coryat. I think they were on the hard side (agree with Morbeedo on the 'taikun' clue, maybe a million and one years for me). But I also missed gimmes and lost track of the category too often. Much tougher to get to Rutgers without the "ru" head start.

Tough break for bonnie getting that nasty DD, but she also bet incorrectly from her position. There was enough money up there to catch up on a make, but pretty tough on a miss - it was TDD time. The miss and rebound at the end was a double whammy but I think she was right to control the buzzer and take her chances. It was a good answer (autocorrect) until you realize the real answer.

NHO RuPaul reality show. Did enjoy the Leslie Jones reference and that SNL skit was one of the funniest things I've seen recently. We watched one episode of the Naked and Afraid show on recommendation, and some of the physiology stuff was interesting (if true), but could not stand the fake drama and soap opera thread.

FJ was possibly my first instaget since I joined the board and learned what an instaget is. I didn't really learn any of this stuff in Sunday School or Church, you have to learn about it from documentaries and external looks at Religion in general and Christianity in particular. All we learned in Sunday school was crap like Shadrach, Mesach, and Abednego (or whatever).

Hoping for a good run by Jessica. Just hope it doesn't end on a mistake.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

julycoaron wrote:Here is my game from June 1988. Check out Final Jeopardy.

Wow. That clue is simultaneously bad AND excruciatingly difficult.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Wrong on FJ, but I was 2/3 on the DDs (Antony & Cleopatra and Tycoon).

Tycoon I got correct partly because I remember it being a question during one of the trivia nights at this bar I attended a few times, about three years ago (although I got it correct there, too).

Most of the competitors at the trivia nights were in teams, but since I have no friends, I always went alone. Of course, it's highly unlikely that a solo participant could beat teams of four or five, so I never got first place.
davey

Post by davey »

rpg wrote:Am I the only one who negged the Minnesota author clue with Sinclair Lewis instead of Fitzgerald? The story mentioned in the clue seems to be pretty obscure so I don't think anyone's getting it on that. I guess you're supposed to know what they look like and get it based on that? I'm not seeing any other (reasonable) way to get it unless I missed something in the clue.

(edit: reviewing it again I see they mentioned that the author was born in St. Paul, so I guess that's another avenue)
Yes, St. Paul is associated with Fitzgerald, Lewis was born in Sauk Centre. I've seen many more photos of Fitzgerald than of Lewis.

I agree that tycoon was difficult. I too went with potentate and I felt pretty good about it.
I definitely learned about St. Paul and his letters in church and Sunday school.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

davey wrote:
rpg wrote:Am I the only one who negged the Minnesota author clue with Sinclair Lewis instead of Fitzgerald?
Yes, St. Paul is associated with Fitzgerald, Lewis was born in Sauk Centre. I've seen many more photos of Fitzgerald than of Lewis.

I definitely learned about St. Paul and his letters in church and Sunday school.
I didn't realize it until I saw this post but it's a bit ironic that the eventual correct FJ response was mentioned in a clue earlier in the game. I wonder how many times this has happened.

LT: Robert E. Lee, Naked & Afraid, 1600

I haven't watched SNL in at least fifteen years but I reasoned out what they most likely would have made a parody of.
I've only seen about five minutes of a N&A episode but it looks like it could hold my interest. My only never-miss reality (contest) show remains Survivor.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said honcho for tycoon, as I recalled that being a Japanese word.

FJ was not insta for me, but I got it, because I remembered a lot of "A letter from St Paul to the Corinthians..." in church in my youth.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I went with mogul. Really wasn't sure of it's origin, but I didn't know of tycoon's origin, either. I'm curious if there's a way to get to the right answer without it just being one of those things you either know or you don't.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Well done by Jessica to run COUNTRIES' POLITICAL PARTIES. She got the sound of two hands clapping while no one got the one hand one.
I was very impressed at her get on $2000, I was not expecting her to get that (I wasn't expecting me to either, but I got it. I could go into explaining for the benefit of people like TPH and morbeedo that I got it from remembering Patrice Lumumba being a seminal political figure in the DRC but that's TOC-level knowledge, anyone getting it in a regular game deserves kudos. Mark, can I request a poll on that one?)
grindcore wrote:Apparently this was a laughably easy FJ. If yall say so I guess. I threw a dart and said John the baptist.
It is, I predict at least 90% on the poll.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Galatians and Corinthians = Paul = instaget for the Hammer.
And this confirms it. :) (Paul is an early and famous missionary, he wrote the books of Galatians and Corinthians (and almost all the other books in the NT that aren't the Gospels), seriously, this is Christianity 101 and should have been an easy get.)
davey wrote:
rpg wrote:Am I the only one who negged the Minnesota author clue with Sinclair Lewis instead of Fitzgerald? The story mentioned in the clue seems to be pretty obscure so I don't think anyone's getting it on that. I guess you're supposed to know what they look like and get it based on that? I'm not seeing any other (reasonable) way to get it unless I missed something in the clue.

I agree that tycoon was difficult. I too went with potentate and I felt pretty good about it.
St. Paul both in a clue and in Final, hmmm?

(I was excited to see my local J! station, KARE 11, come up in the category. This isn't the first time the station or its personalities have appeared on the show, it was mentioned when Alex revealed a twin cities category here, its news anchor at the time (ISTR she retired shortly after this episode) was mentioned here, and I'm sure there was another where an on-air personality read a clue, but I can't find that one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

(oops)
Last edited by harrumph on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,400
44 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Robert E. Lee; What is the sound of one hand clapping?; Naked and Afraid (DD), tycoon, 1600, Alec Baldwin

Shockingly easy FJ!

There are few J!-related things that make me happier than clues where the correct responses are already questions, so this was a fun night for me.
MarkBarrett wrote:No bueno for me on DD3 as I guessed honcho.
This is a good guess (as indicated by the fact that several others have posted that they guessed the same thing), but a honcho is specifically a leader.
julycoaron wrote:Here is my game from June 1988. Check out Final Jeopardy.

Man, this show used to be harder.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Huh, was Naked and Afraid a Triple Stumper? I got it instantly, but was under the impression one of the contestants did, too. I might have been more out of it yesterday than I imagined!
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Well done by Jessica to run COUNTRIES' POLITICAL PARTIES. She got the sound of two hands clapping while no one got the one hand one.
I was very impressed at her get on $2000, I was not expecting her to get that (I wasn't expecting me to either, but I got it. I could go into explaining for the benefit of people like TPH and morbeedo that I got it from remembering Patrice Lumumba being a seminal political figure in the DRC but that's TOC-level knowledge, anyone getting it in a regular game deserves kudos. Mark, can I request a poll on that one?)
As so often happens, I'd say that clue was easier than the one before it, Kadima, because of the historical resonance of the name Lumumba.