Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7487, 2017-03-14

CONTESTANTS
Grant McSheffrey, a software developer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Lolita Welch, an independent contractor from Fort Worth, Texas
Jessica Johnston, a college admission officer from Pasadena, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $40,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hello, everyone, and welcome aboard. Jessica ended last week on a high note, a winning note--started this week the same way. Lolita and Grant, you've gotta be at your very best if you're gonna replace her as champ. Good luck. Here we go. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD (5/5)
WOMEN ON TELEVISION (5/5)
SHAKESPEAREAN BABY NAMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
2 WORDS TO COMPLETE THE PHRASE (5/5)
RVs (5/5)
IT'S A TOY HALL-ER (4/5) (Alex: All of the toys which come up as correct responses are in the Toy Hall of Fame.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lolita: 12 R, 2 W
Grant: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Jessica: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lolita: $2,600
Grant: $2,200
Jessica: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Grant McSheffrey is from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Now, Grant, I know the driving laws are different in Canada than here in the United States, but your bit of information says you drove a car at the age of 3.

Grant: Yeah, I was very advanced for my age. My mom took me to go grocery shopping, and we got back home, and we had our big full-size van. I was in the back seat, and we didn't have car seats back then with lots of straps and buckles, so I managed to get my seat belt off and climbed into the front seat and decided I was gonna drive, just like Mommy does. I took hold of the wheel, and then I pulled the little stick beside it. Pulled it down into neutral, rolled down the driveway, rolled across the street, rolled up the driveway on the other side, and smashed into our neighbor's car.

Alex: I bet it was tough to get insurance for you after that.

Alex: All right, Lolita Welch, independent contractor from Fort Worth. What kind of contracting are we talking about?

Lolita: Mostly educational assessment. My current contract is doing test scoring for several different standardized exams.

Alex: Are young Americans smarter than they used to be?

Lolita: I'm going to plead the Fifth.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: All right. Jessica. I ask because Jessica Johnston, you're involved with college--is it college admissions?

Jessica: Yes.

Alex: All right. Are the kids smarter than they used to be?

Jessica: I--

Alex: Are we getting more qualified young people now trying to get into these colleges here in southern California?

Jessica: I think they keep getting smarter, and they keep doing more and more fantastic, really impressive things. But at the same time, we think it's so important to make sure that students feel that they can be a normal 17-year-old and still get into college.

Alex: Yeah, I mean, he was driving at 3. [Points to Grant]

[Laughter]

Jessica: Right.

Alex: Nowadays, kids who are 3 years old are fluent with the internet, with computers and stuff. And I just look at them and say, "Aw, jeez." I could barely tie my shoes, and I was 22, not 3.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Grant found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Jessica had $3,400, Lolita had $7,000, and Grant was at $4,000. Grant wagered $2,000.

SHAKESPEAREAN BABY NAMES $800: This feminine name from "The Taming of the Shrew" means "white"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S A TOY HALL-ER $800: This action figure with 21 moving parts & "life like hair" stepped up for a different kind of induction in 2004

SHAKESPEAREAN BABY NAMES $400: Though the king was slain by Macbeth, you still might like this boy's name meaning "brown warrior"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lolita: $7,000
Grant: $6,000
Jessica: $4,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FUNGI (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GRAMMY RECORD OF THE YEAR (5/5)
WRITERS' VOCABULARY (3/5)
STATE HOLIDAYS (3/5)
1917 (4/5)
THAT'S A MYTHTAKE! (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessica: 11 R, 2 W
Lolita: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Grant: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lolita snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Jessica had $6,800, Lolita had $8,200, and Grant was at $7,600. Lolita wagered $1,800.

THAT'S A MYTHTAKE! $1200: She angered Hera, who took away her power of speech, except for the ability to repeat the last words of another

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Grant who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Jessica had $11,600, Lolita had $10,400, and Grant was at $10,400. Grant wagered $3,000.

FUNGI $1600: Seed is to plant as this is to fungus
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1917 $2000: In August this U.S. journalist sailed to Russia & joined the Bureau of International Revolutionary Propaganda
(Alex: There was a great movie made about him-- [*].)

THAT'S A MYTHTAKE! $2000: She boasted that her daughter Andromeda was more beautiful than the Nereids; Poseidon got mad & ravaged the land

STATE HOLIDAYS $800: Arbor Day was first celebrated in 1872 in this state; other states soon followed
(Grant: What is Oklahoma?)

STATE HOLIDAYS $1600: Its Cherokee Strip Day celebrates the 1893 land rush in which former Indian lands were opened to settlement

WRITERS' VOCABULARY $1600: "Animal Farm" uses anthropomorphism while "the walls have ears" is an example of this similar literary device

WRITERS' VOCABULARY $2000: This word can refer to a punctuation mark or a type of imagery, like "O Death, where is thy sting"
(Lolita: What is an exclamation?)
(Jessica: What is an interjection?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Grant: $13,400
Jessica: $11,600
Lolita: $10,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CAPITAL CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Grant: Wager $9,801 to cover Jessica.
Jessica: You ought to wager to cover Lolita, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $11,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,200 (to shut out Lolita) or less than $8,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Lolita). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Grant.
Lolita: You ought to try wagering between $1,201 and $6,800. This will top a $0 wager by Jessica while still beating Grant and Jessica on the Triple Stumper (should Grant wager to cover Jessica's doubled score and Jessica wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This is the most populous city on the world's most populous island; both begin with the same letter

FINAL SCORES
Lolita: $10,400 + $2,027 = $12,427 (What is Jakarta?) (3rd place)
Jessica: $11,600 + $11,600 = $23,200 (What is Jakarta?) (2nd place)
Grant: $13,400 + $10,000 = $23,400 (What is Jakarta?) (New champion: $23,400)
(Alex: [To Lolita] It's on the island of Java, which has about 140 million inhabitants.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jessica: $11,600, 18 R, 2 W
Grant: $10,800, 14 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Lolita: $9,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $32,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Lolita: 20/59 = .339
Jessica: 19/58 = .328
Grant: 15/60 = .250
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD $400: Go straight through the globe from anywhere in the contiguous U.S. & you'll reach not China but this ocean
(Lolita: What is the Pacific?)

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a globe on the monitor.) From Madrid, Spain, spin the globe and diametrically opposite is the hamlet of Weber on this country's North Island

WOMEN ON TELEVISION $200: (I'm political commentator Ana Navarro.) In 2015 I became a political contributor for this show that is co-hosted by Joy Behar & Whoopi Goldberg
(Lolita: What is The Talk?)

WOMEN ON TELEVISION $400: (I'm Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner.) A few good things happened in the '90s: I was a "Jeopardy!" champ in 1992 & in '97 I got to write for "The Naked Truth" with this woman, now "Madam Secretary"

WOMEN ON TELEVISION $600: Seen here, she's had stints on "60 Minutes" and "The Today Show"

RVs $600: This company that makes the RV seen here shares its name with Wisconsin's largest inland lake

RVs $800: RVs traveling in a group are called this, from the Persian for "desert travelers"
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

GRAMMY RECORD OF THE YEAR $1600: 2012:
Gotye got it
(Jessica: What is "Somebody I Used To Know"?)
(Lolita: What is "Someone I Used To Know"?)

STATE HOLIDAYS $1200: In 2012 Ohio governor John Kasich signed a law designating February 20 as this man's Friendship 7 Day

CORRECT RESPONSES
Bianca
G.I. Joe
Duncan
Echo
spore
John Reed
Cassiopeia
Nebraska
Oklahoma
personification
an apostrophe
Jakarta
the Indian Ocean
New Zealand
The View
Téa Leoni
Meredith Vieira
Winnebago
a caravan
"Somebody That I Used To Know"
John Glenn
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CAPITAL CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This is the most populous city on the world’s most populous island; both begin with the same letter

Jessica Johnston: 11600+11600=23200
Lolita Welch: 10400+2027=12427
Grant McSheffrey: 13400+10000=23400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jakarta

Daily Doubles
Grant: 4000+2000
Lolita: 8200+1800
Grant: 10400+3000

Coryats
Jessica: 11600
Lolita: 9800
Grant: 10800

Combined: 32,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Good fast moving game and finally came to the last DD!

As usual, the song category is too fast for me. I thought that GI Joe is too obvious. Was expecting TSs for John Glenn and Fighting Bob LaFolllete - pleasantly surprised. JJ seemed strong on geography and history. Too bad the DD play cost her potential run at TOC!

Surprised that the Final is a tripleget. Loved the champ's reaction...its tough to pull off that kind of reaction without looking arrogant.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not that Grant is complaining, but in a close game that 30th clue of the DJ! round needs to play. Even if it is $2000 in a FUNGI category and may not have changed anything.

As the game worked out with the DJ! round over a clue early Grant did not have to worry about Jessica having the opportunity to retake the lead after his DD wager of 3000 was a bit shy to insure the lead for the FJ! round.

The players were 3/3 on a FJ! clue about a place far from the U.S. without the specific area being narrowed, so good by all of them.

Grant's join date and first post on the J! Board was December 2016, so another notch for slam's rule. ;) Congrats, mcsheffrey.

Your reaction to winning was great and deserved the slo-mo replay the show gave at the end.
Spoiler
reddit guy is on spring break, so he had the game up quite early today.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't 100% sure on Jakarta or if Java had the most people. But nothing else was coming so that counts as a get.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Briefly considered Hong Kong before remembering that the writers love Java and Jakarta.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CAN WE NOT CLEAR A FREAKING BOARD ALREADY?!?

How should I know that digging through the US would hit the Indian ocean and not any of the other oceans?

Yes, I did get NZ this time.

I clammed on "Valentine" because I didn't know it could be a name. Didn't know "Duncan" could be a name either. Or those two people from Hamlet that I can't spell. Or Bianca. Or Prospero.

Couldn't turn "towed" into a "This way". Turns out it already was there. Still kind of an inelegantly worded clue.

Brainfart made me say "Served sweet" instead of "Served cold" to deny me the run.

The DJ! DDs seemed really easy.

"Get Lucky" is a freaking atrocious song. I forget, what are they up all night to do again? That song was just so vague and ambiguous about it.

This clue was just way too wide open for me to narrow it down to anything. Even when "Jakarta" came up, I thought "Indonesia doesn't begin with a J!" How was this a triple get?!?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Java/Jakarta came to me pretty quickly, but I wanted to do something with Honshu or Tokyo for most of the think music. Luckily, my initial guess was correct.

On Alex's pronunciations:

1.) He seemed to be over-pronouncing "Lolita" each time, but maybe he was correct.
2.) Is it "fun guy" or "fun jie"?

Great game by all 3 contestants, I was rooting against Lolita a little bit because I am not in love with standardized tests.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

"Fun-ji" INstaget. Spent 27s 2nd guessing about how Tokyo and Honshu might have other names that I'm unaware of like Edo and Edam or some such, IDK, LOL!

47R; LT: GI Joe, Gooo-oo Joe!; "brown warrior' > Duncan, ex Macbeth (Dun-colored = drab, brown, e.g., 'dungaree'); Andromeda's mother > Cassiopeia (chair constellation!); Arbor Day > NE; 'land grab' > Sooners > OK; no get on 'apostrophe' for literary abstraction clue. Long reach... yeah. Pretty fine gameplay by these contesticants, sorry to see Jess go, but new champ looks like the one to beat, grats! :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On the Tea Leoni clue Matthew Weiner mentioned he was a J! champ in 1992 and I paid it little attention thinking it was one of those celeb appearances. It's hit me now that it must have been regular play since he was not famous back then.

Is this something we knew about previously? I'll have to flip through my notes for a one-day Matthew champ in 1992 although I suspect with a name like that there will be more than one.

Time to work on it.

ETA: I only found one champ Matt(hew) in 1992 not in the Archive.

June 16, 1992
Kay: (returning with 8600) 6700-6700=0
Frank: minus 600
Matt: 8600-4801=3799
[Sirens]

June 17
Matt: 6400+6400=12800
Eric: 6100+6099=12199
Mary Jane: 10400+2401=12801

Curious about the FJ! clues I checked "the resource" and found:

857 1992‑06‑17 LITERARY SUBJECTS HE'S THE SUBJECT OF IRVING STONE'S NOVEL "THE PASSIONS OF THE MIND"
856 1992‑06‑16 THE ELEMENTS THIS TOXIC, GASEOUS ELEMENT DERIVES ITS NAME FROM ITS GREENISH COLOR

Correct responses:
Spoiler
WHO IS SIGMUND FREUD?
WHAT IS CHLORINE?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

For FJ I confidently went with Taipei, Taiwan. Never would have hit on Jakarta, especially since I too placed it in Indonesia. Duh!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

heppm01 wrote:For FJ I confidently went with Taipei, Taiwan. Never would have hit on Jakarta, especially since I too placed it in Indonesia. Duh!
Reading other message boards I saw another reason that caused some to have a problem solving the clue when they wondered when Jakarta lost the D. :)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Grant was lucky on several different accounts. One being that his DD bets didn't come back to haunt him. Had he bet properly on both, he would have locked the game, instead of having to sweat out a FJ where his chances of victory probably about 55%.

Of course, Lolita gave up $6400 on her own DD, in an easy category with two contestants close to her score, which would have given her the lead had Grant wagered the same amount.

Additionally, none of the three contestants attempted to hunt for DDs on either board.

On the flip side, they were all knowledgeable when it came to trivia. Both Lolita and Jessica had sour expressions at the end of the game, to contrast with Grant's beaming excitement.

LT: personification

FJ: Another bad category (geography) for me...and another instaget. And this time I was confident, unlike yesterday.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I also went with Taipei.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote: Is this something we knew about previously? I'll have to flip through my notes for a one-day Matthew champ in 1992 although I suspect with a name like that there will be more than one.
Matthew Weiner has mentioned being a one-day champion before he became successful in Hollywood in multiple interviews over the years. When I first found out about the Archive in 2015, his was the first name I looked up. Since he wasn't there, I took it to mean his was an episode we don't have records of.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:On the Tea Leoni clue Matthew Weiner mentioned he was a J! champ in 1992 and I paid it little attention thinking it was one of those celeb appearances. It's hit me now that it must have been regular play since he was not famous back then.

Is this something we knew about previously? I'll have to flip through my notes for a one-day Matthew champ in 1992 although I suspect with a name like that there will be more than one.

Time to work on it.

ETA: I only found one champ Matt(hew) in 1992 not in the Archive.
How. Freaking. Insane. Would. That. Be?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Brainfarted this FJ...went with Honolulu, Hawaii, forgetting that Honolulu is on Oahu, NOT the state namesake big island. When Jakarta was revealed, I (gently) smacked my head and let out an 'Oyyyy'...thought of nearly every island but there (nor Taipei/Taiwan, and if I had thought of there, that would have been a very strong contender).

Ran Two Words To Complete The Phrase, and almost ran Shakespearian Baby Names (royally messed up on AND really should have known the DD) and That's A Mythtake (Cassiopeia just couldn't come to me in time, dagnabit).
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35/59 right.

World (4), TV (3), Baby (4), Phrase (4), RVs (3), Hall (4)
Fungi (3), Grammy (1), Vocab (0), State (4), 1917 (4), Myth (1)

Lach Trash: Duncan, Oklahoma

Instaget FJ.