Monday, May 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE PULITZER PRIZES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1947 a journalist from the Washington Post became the last to win a Pulitzer for National Reporting by this means

Gail Ansheles: 12600-12600=0
Sara Holub: 13200+12000=25200
David Clemmons: 17600+10000=27600 (Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
telegraph (also acceptable: telegram) (Gail – radio) (Sara – telegraph) (David – telegraph telegram)

Daily Doubles
Sara: 6000+2000
David: 6000+6000
David: 15200-2000

Coryats
Gail: 12600
Sara: 12200
David: 15200

Combined: 40,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The semis have a split of:
guy in each game
and
W-WC-W
W-W-WC
W-WC-WC

The high scorer from the QF round is the only one playing 2 wildcards.

David showed how much more important the DJ! round is from the J! round as he took a while to get untracked. He went one out of two on Daily Doubles and had his hit & miss in the right order.

That was nice of the players to leave no doubt about two different FJ! clue responses being acceptable. My response of “Correspondence” had no such luck as even though it was last won in 1947, the winner wrote for the NYT.

In working out my guess I was thinking something about letter writing and war reporting. I did consider the telegraph during think time, but rejected it in thinking phone reporting would have already sent it to the dust pile.

Everything I thought of was full of doubt and when “radio” by Gail was shown I had no idea if that was right as well.

Outchange rift on hold for now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Emeralds are lab-created?!? I only got ethanol. No way was I getting estate, double eagle, or escudo.

WLT carbs or Cleopatra in the top box?

Polo has goals?!?

The Diet, Goals, and Concepts categories seemed very tough. All ridiculously YEKIOYD.

"Macadam" and "Heisenberg" struck me as obscure for $200 even if I got both.

NHO "empirical", "stump speech", or "busywork".

Even though I got only "Aladdin", I recognized all five of the Broadway shows named.

No guess on FJ! Nothing seemed to fit.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

That was an epic comeback - bravo David and well played all around. Even a bonus cliffhanger when telegram was revealed. I feel bad for anyone not watching just because it was teachers week.

You could see how affected David was by his reversal of fortune at the end of Double Jeopardy.

I got FJ right but it was just an educated stab.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Looking at the wagers, I wish Gail had gotten it right and David had missed it. But I had enough drama as it was waiting to see if telegram was acceptable. I bet it was a very nervous few minutes for him.

I did start with radio but rejected that as I would think that year was a bit too early for radio reporting to die out. Plus he worked for a newspaper. I then considered various means of transportation but didn't think they awarded Pulitzers for reporting by horseback. I finally landed on the correct response.

Congrats to all three on a well played game.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm Looking at the wagers, I wish Gail had gotten it right and David had missed it.
You wanted either Gail or Sara to reap rewards after extremely poor wagers? We've seen tie-breaker questions in SF's before.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Nice comeback David! 43R for goats, teased out FJ, LT: acoustic foam, canvassing, MDD: mons albus >>> Mount Blanc ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I said "cable" for FJ, but I was thinking along the lines of telegram/telegraph (for some reason I couldn't spit those words out). I'm not sure if it should count. Judges?
Last edited by The Talking Mime on Mon May 15, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The Talking Mime wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 pm I said "cable" for FJ, but I was thinking along the lines of telegram/telegram (for some reason I couldn't spit those words out). I'm not sure if it should count. Judges?
Adding to that: "Morse code?"
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Yes, David came alive in DJ, but what happened to the ladies? Did they feel sorry for him and stop buzzing in?

NHO Occam's razor. It's rare that something comes up on the show that is completely new to me

LT: blood type, kombucha, empirical, originalism (a hot topic with Scalia / Gorsuch in the news!), canvassing, MDD: Mont Blanc (albus -> albino -> white -> blanc)

FJ - instaget b/c WECIB?

'Super' Mario (Lemieux) went right over my head

Expected to run Broadway Musicals but missed 3/5 :?
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Looking at the wagers, I wish Gail had gotten it right and David had missed it.
You wanted either Gail or Sara to reap rewards after extremely poor wagers? We've seen tie-breaker questions in SF's before.
Sara wagered as if Gail's bet would end in 99 and David wagerd as if Gail's bet would end in 01. Gail did neither.
Gail definately should have used shortagey, even if it meant not passing a zero wager from David.
morbeedo wrote:Yes, David came alive in DJ, but what happened to the ladies? Did they feel sorry for him and stop buzzing in?
I was beginning to think there was something wrong with their signaling devices. I don't think Sara rang in a single time after David got his TDD. Gail did only once.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Category 13 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 pm
morbeedo wrote:Yes, David came alive in DJ, but what happened to the ladies? Did they feel sorry for him and stop buzzing in?
I was beginning to think there was something wrong with there signaling devices. I don't think Sara rang in a single time after David got his TDD. Gail did only once.
Sometimes one player just finds the rhythm on the signaling device and gets on a roll. David went Beast Mode at the end, won the game on a great comeback, and is now trending on Twitter. Lots of new fans.

Great game overall. Gail and Sara also played great, just couldn't quite stop the buzzsaw. Anyone boycotting the Teachers Tournament missed a good one tonight.
Last edited by badgerfellow on Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

The Talking Mime wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 pm I said "cable" for FJ, but I was thinking along the lines of telegram/telegraph (for some reason I couldn't spit those words out). I'm not sure if it should count. Judges?
I think only transoceanic telegraphy was by cable, and the clue specifically referenced National Reporting (though an International Telegraphic Reporting Pulitzer was last awarded in '47 as well).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Judges: would they take 'Marco' for the sport with goals?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Dave. What a comeback, fueled by his TDD wager -- something too few players in his situation as of that DD will do, even in a wheelhouse category for them. His whole surge was strategic, a history teacher starting from the bottom in the history category.

I needlessly wavered between telegram and telegraph before settling on telegram (I ruled out radio because the clue mentioned a newspaper reporter). When "telegraph" was revealed, I thought I was going to start the week 0 for 1. I was relieved when Alex said either one was acceptable.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 pm Everything I thought of was full of doubt and when “radio” by Gail was shown I had no idea if that was right as well.
I considered radio but figured: not a chance, there's probably still a Pulitzer Prize for radio. Turns out I was wrong. There has never been a Pulitzer Prize for radio. But I think my instinct was sound. 1947 would not be the year to end such a prize if it ever existed.

My brainstorming also led me to consider Pony Express, but that only took a microsecond to reject. 1947 is way too late. The telegraph is what made the Pony Express obsolete, before it ever turned a profit. I never got around to thinking of smoke signals.

The more I thought about alternatives, the more I liked telegraph/telegram. I figured either would be acceptable, but finally settled on telegraph as my official response. Like you, I'm glad that question was settled on screen.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OSXpert wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm That was an epic comeback - bravo David and well played all around. Even a bonus cliffhanger when telegram was revealed. I feel bad for anyone not watching just because it was teachers week.

You could see how affected David was by his reversal of fortune at the end of Double Jeopardy.
He almost looked like he was having a heart attack! But in a good way. :D

I started this game rooting for an all-female finals. But when David made the true DD wager, it was impossible not to wish him the best of luck. It was clear his competitors felt the same way.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 pmI needlessly wavered between telegram and telegraph before settling on telegram (I ruled out radio because the clue mentioned a newspaper reporter). When "telegraph" was revealed, I thought I was going to start the week 0 for 1. I was relieved when Alex said either one was acceptable.
But not as relieved as Dave was! :lol: