Monday, May 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 »

I dismissed telegraph because I knew the last Western Union telegram was sent in the 2000s. I tried to think of some medium that would have ended around 1947 and the only thing I could think of was newsreels (although it turns out those were still a thing until the mid-1960s).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

teapot37 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 pm I dismissed telegraph because I knew the last Western Union telegram was sent in the 2000s. I tried to think of some medium that would have ended around 1947 and the only thing I could think of was newsreels (although it turns out those were still a thing until the mid-1960s).
Well that's just frustrating. That was a perfectly intelligent thought process, but it led you away from the right response and to a plausible wrong one. I hate when that happens.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 pm I dismissed telegraph because I knew the last Western Union telegram was sent in the 2000s. I tried to think of some medium that would have ended around 1947 and the only thing I could think of was newsreels (although it turns out those were still a thing until the mid-1960s).
Well that's just frustrating. That was a perfectly intelligent thought process, but it led you away from the right response and to a plausible wrong one. I hate when that happens.
Pretty much why I rejected telegraph too, although unlike teapot, I couldn't think of an alternate.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 pm
WLT carbs or Cleopatra in the top box?
Carbs: People will believe anything's healthy if it's low-carb, that clue was signalling that.

Cleopatra: She's wearing an ostensibly Egyptian headdress, and the only other Egyptian woman I know is Nefertiti, and that's certainly not a top-row answer.

Did get telegraph instantly; my shallow mind couldn't think of any alternative besides radio, and I knew '47 was way too early for radio to be considered obsolete

And of course, wow David, what a comeback
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 10:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 pm
WLT carbs or Cleopatra in the top box?
Carbs: People will believe anything's healthy if it's low-carb, that clue was signalling that.
Or gluten-free, or GMO-free, or sugar-free, or low sodium, or whole grain, or artisan or JUST SHUT UP AND EAT YOUR FOOD AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHERE IT CAME FROM.
Wheatley wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 10:23 pmCleopatra: She's wearing an ostensibly Egyptian headdress, and the only other Egyptian woman I know is Nefertiti, and that's certainly not a top-row answer.
"Looks Egyptian" being completely objective and all.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I first considered telephone, remembering the scene from Gandhi where a reporter dictates his story of the salt march...then dismissed it after remembering the scene in The Right Stuff where a reporter tries to phone in before having is call hung up on by an officer. So I stepped back one level of tech.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The Telegraph was invented by at least 1833. It was in regular national use by 1852.

The telephone was invented by 1876. Transatlantic radio was first accomplished in 1901. Radio-based transatlantic telephone service was available in 1927.

I guessed radio for Final Jeopardy because the telegraph had been obsoleted long before 1947 and I didn't imagine they would give away Pulitzers for that. I thought maybe they gave up on the radio awards and that was supplanted by the Peabody awards. The Peabody awards were started in 1940.

Really nice comeback in today's game. She didn't play today but I think Mary Parker is the contestant to watch out for; she had a significantly higher Coryat than any of the other contestants. Nan is also somebody to watch out for.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 pm I guessed radio for Final Jeopardy because the telegraph had been obsoleted long before 1947...
Not quite that obsolete.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

In 1947 a journalist from the Washington Post became the last to win a Pulitzer for National Reporting by this means

Won by this means...??
I briefly considered bribery, but eventually I decided the telegraph was safer... ;)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:33 pm I considered radio but figured: not a chance, there's probably still a Pulitzer Prize for radio. Turns out I was wrong. There has never been a Pulitzer Prize for radio. But I think my instinct was sound. 1947 would not be the year to end such a prize if it ever existed.

My brainstorming also led me to consider Pony Express, but that only took a microsecond to reject. 1947 is way too late. The telegraph is what made the Pony Express obsolete, before it ever turned a profit. I never got around to thinking of smoke signals.

The more I thought about alternatives, the more I liked telegraph/telegram. I figured either would be acceptable, but finally settled on telegraph as my official response. Like you, I'm glad that question was settled on screen.
I must be eating too much smoked herring as I processed these exact alternatives but also took more than a microsecond to dispatch carrier pigeon as well (I didn't figure it would play in "National Reporting", and well, how stupid could they get).

I'm glad AT explained the reason for the answer. It definitely was obsolete as an award option by then. David rolled the ladies at the end, and his ballsy bet got him off the deck, with a pretty good get. I blanked out but figured it had to be the Cannery Row guy and can't get Sinclair Lewis out of my brain to pull it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Volante wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:56 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 pm I guessed radio for Final Jeopardy because the telegraph had been obsoleted long before 1947...
Not quite that obsolete.
Y'know, lots of uses of phone lines are closer to being telegraphic than telephonic. Fax, modem, digital data transmission... They're not in Morse code, but they're in code.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 amI blanked out but figured it had to be the Cannery Row guy and can't get Sinclair Lewis out of my brain to pull it.
Steinbeck was the Cannery Row guy.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,200
49 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: blood type, kombucha, empirical, originalism, acoustic foam, canvassing, Mont Blanc (DD)

That is how you play to win.

I thought FJ! was a WECIB.

Someday I will remember estivation.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 pm "Macadam" and "Heisenberg" struck me as obscure for $200 even if I got both.
Agreed on Macadam. Heisenberg seemed right to me.

Interestingly, the words macadam and macadamia both are named after Scotsmen named John MacAdam, though the one the tree is named after lived most of his life in Australia and generally goes by Macadam, and the other is more commonly listed as John McAdam.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm'Super' Mario (Lemieux) went right over my head
That was one of the more interesting cases of how someone got to be a team owner. The Pengos went bankrupt (for the second time, IIRC) while Mario was in the last year or so of his contract, and was owed a lot of deferred money; in fact, he was the largest creditor in the bankruptcy. So, in essence to settle what they owed him, he became the team owner. (It kind of made for an interesting season or two when he was still a player and an owner at the same time -- how do teammates deal with that dynamic?)
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I thought of telegraph pretty early on and was convinced that it was wrong but couldn't come up with anything else remotely plausible. I must admit that I still don't really understand why they would categorize reporting awards based on how the report was filed. Why would anybody care about any aspect of the reporting beyond what appears in the paper?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:22 pm Judges: would they take 'Marco' for the sport with goals?
I think you'd have to be more specific. :lol:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OSXpert wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm That was an epic comeback - bravo David and well played all around. Even a bonus cliffhanger when telegram was revealed. I feel bad for anyone not watching just because it was teachers week.

You could see how affected David was by his reversal of fortune at the end of Double Jeopardy.

I got FJ right but it was just an educated stab.
I am with you on every part of this post. Spectacular comeback by David and many congrats to him for pulling it off and making the finals. That made for a much more interesting and competitive game than most, teacher tournament or not. Congrats to all three.

And yeah, on FJ I tried to figure out which technology/medium was being phased out. Certainly could not have been newspapers or TV; gave some thought to radio, then tried to imagine if telegraph was still making a dent that late. I know telegrams were delivered several decades after this date, but had no idea they were still an important means of news communication in the 40s. I guessed right, and I'll gratefully take it.

Hope the rest of the SF games are even close to being this good.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Any lucky guess for telegraph here, based primarily on the date and what other technology would be phased out at that point. As a TCM fan, I tried to think of scenes in old movies that might have given a clue but I think the most often used image was reporters running to a phone booth to call in a story. If they ever telegraphed it in, I don't remember seeing it.

It's interesting that they would have accepted telegram since I thought that those were: (a) expensive and (b) had limited space. Then again, it's apparently White House policy to announce all kinds of things by tweet, so maybe the expression "everything old is new again" is apt?

And while I can't fault Sara for being conservative with that $2,000 DD wager, I kind of agree with others here that you have to be bold early on and have some faith that you can make up lost ground in the DJ round if necessary.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:42 am It's interesting that they would have accepted telegram since I thought that those were: (a) expensive and (b) had limited space.
According to Merriam-Webster a telegram is "a telegraphic dispatch" so I'm not sure how they couldn't accept it. I always thought a telegram was a message sent via telegraph, so I'm happy this definition backs me up.