Alpaca Farm quizzes

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Alpaca Farm quizzes

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 6:28 am
georgespelvin wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 pm I practically only listen to internet oldies stations that "go deep" and are not limited to the stale, narrow playlists of burnouts foisted on Terrestrial and Satellite radio by consultants and focus groups.
Such as ... ?
I had the same thought when I passed though your comment. Thanks for the suggestions!

georgespelvin wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 pm You are absolutely right--and so was I, who also got marked wrong with "The Banana Boat Song". To make matters worse, "Day-O" is the parenthetical title, which, according to the rules of the quiz, should be automatically marked wrong even though it is part of the song title parenthetically. I had that as a money question too. I wouldn't have won with that (I don't think, although if you graded it differently, some of the folks ahead of me would lose points), but it would have gotten me closer. That's the only lyrics quiz in the last four (not counting the TV themes) that I have not won.
Well, yeah... "Banana Boat Song". (While I've always liked the song, I just can't stand it anymore all the baseball stadiums that play the "Day O" at 3,000 decibels as a crowd prompt. Even on MLB.TV it comes across as so irritating. In the same category as the Atlanta Braves "Tomahawk chop." I digress....) I unfortunately ended up not submitting on that quiz. Had it up on my screen with "Banana Boat Song" typed in along with several others, then with one thing or another totally forgot about finishing the quiz, and it got lost into the ether. Apparently not checking in with Alpaca Farm -- or carefully enough -- for a while, I ended up missing a whole bunch of other lyrics quizzes of my particular liking. :oops: :(

.... and speaking of going deep on the internet oldies stations, I wonder about the last time this one might have hit the "airwaves". One of my favorite 1960s songs, though it barely cracked the Billboard 100. (Maybe it got more play on the NYC stations at the time, so that's why I got to know it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poGDM3zaq9M
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I lost to Brian Weikle by TWO POINTS on the 1980 lyrics quiz (1,169 to 1,167), which is the closest competition I've ever seen here (third place had 1,050 points), but it disturbs me how difficult/impossible it is to contact the author of a quiz to report a mistake. The author of the quiz incredibly quoted lyrics for "Sara" by Fleetwood Mac and said that the correct answer was "Tusk". Everyone had it marked wrong. That should have been an indicator. . .
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

georgespelvin wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am I lost to Brian Weikle by TWO POINTS on the 1980 lyrics quiz (1,169 to 1,167), which is the closest competition I've ever seen here (third place had 1,050 points), but it disturbs me how difficult/impossible it is to contact the author of a quiz to report a mistake. The author of the quiz incredibly quoted lyrics for "Sara" by Fleetwood Mac and said that the correct answer was "Tusk". Everyone had it marked wrong. That should have been an indicator. . .
Should be able to PM them through the LL website.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I am assuming you mean if the Alpaca Farm author is also in Learned League, or are the two distinguished entities related?
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

georgespelvin wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:10 pm I am assuming you mean if the Alpaca Farm author is also in Learned League, or are the two distinguished entities related?
It was originally created by a Llama for Llamas to put their own 1DSs' up. While I guess that a non-Llama could sign up for it, I'd suspect most all of the people there are in LL.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

There are people who stopped playing in LL who still play in Alpaca Farm, and people who played in Alpaca Farm first before LL.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Check out my latest Clown trivia quiz over on the Alpaca Farm :P
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Kudos to CoenM for putting up "The week of" quizzes every week without fail since since Al Gore invented the Internet
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Results are up for morbeedo's very first general knowledge challenge. Some of those questions played hard - ouch!

Congrats to ElendilPickle for an impressive third place finish!

Does anyone know what the plans are for Alapaca farm (beta)?
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm Results are up for morbeedo's very first general knowledge challenge. Some of those questions played hard - ouch!

wow...i got 3 right in your 2nd "general knowledge" quiz...1 of them only because i looked at the "the week of" quiz before going into your quiz
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:55 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm Results are up for morbeedo's very first general knowledge challenge. Some of those questions played hard - ouch!

wow...i got 3 right in your 2nd "general knowledge" quiz...1 of them only because i looked at the "the week of" quiz before going into your quiz
hahaha! come on, trivia bro. You can do better ;)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:55 pm

hahaha! come on, trivia bro. You can do better ;)

i am sure i can make a "general knowledge" game you would get 0-3 right
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pmi am sure i can make a "general knowledge" game you would get 0-3 right
#MeToo. What are you strongest subjects?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:23 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pmi am sure i can make a "general knowledge" game you would get 0-3 right
#MeToo. What are you strongest subjects?
sports, non usa geography, pre non cable based tv
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

morbeedo's second general knowledge challenge has concluded and the results are now live!

This question though!?

What adjective is missing from these lines spoken by Amanda Wingfield to her daughter Laura in The Glass Menagerie: "Why, you're not ________, you just have a little defect - hardly noticeable, even! When people have some slight disadvantage like that, they cultivate other things to make up for it - develop charm - and vivacity - and - charm! That's all you have to do!"
Spoiler
Broken _____________ 14
Ugly __________________ 10
Crippled _____________ 3
Handicapped _________ 2
Crazy _____________ 1
Deformed _____________ 1
Disabled _____________ 1
Disfigured _____________ 1
Feeble _____________ 1
Flawed _____________ 1
Fragile _____________ 1
Perfect _____________ 1
Retarded _____________ 1
Stupid _____________ 1
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

morbeedo's hot and bothered art challenge is now live!

If you like sexy time, run, don't walk! over to the Alpaca Farm
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 pm morbeedo's hot and bothered art challenge is now live!

Not to go all Casket on you, but this quiz begs for the NSFW version with the pictures of the art objects described. I may look them up on the net after the reveal because you made some of them sound interesting. I didn't go ahead and enter my goose egg and 0 x 15 point performance. I promise to do better in LL for my rookie season. I'm averaging about 2 right per day this season, so I am headed for E.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 pm morbeedo's hot and bothered art challenge is now live!

Not to go all Casket on you, but this quiz begs for the NSFW version with the pictures of the art objects described. I may look them up on the net after the reveal because you made some of them sound interesting. I didn't go ahead and enter my goose egg and 0 x 15 point performance. I promise to do better in LL for my rookie season. I'm averaging about 2 right per day this season, so I am headed for E.
Ha! Thanks for taking a look. I hear you, but I posted the quiz at work. Figured I should limit my exposure.

Don’t sweat LL. As long as you don’t forfeit or cheat, everyone wins!

Zero out of 12 is terrible, especially since I gave hints! ;) no further discussion until the scores are posted next week
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

another morbeedo alpaca quiz in which i did horribly...one of these days i am going to write a quiz just for you so you can get 0 correct
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 pm

another morbeedo alpaca quiz in which i did horribly...one of these days i am going to write a quiz just for you so you can get 0 correct
Do one for my birthday- April 4th!

This quiz is for people who are decent at art history. It’s for experts- not like my “general knowledge” quizzes, which are for semi-experts :)

I’m working on a stupid answers quiz right now which could be good for you

xoxo