Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:49 pm Anyone want to watch me play Wheel of Fortune at Anthrocon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbzUG06kpY
Thanks for that TPH! I won't ask how you did so well in the game (spoilers?) or what lead you to know exactly which letters to call, or how you knew that
Spoiler
chewy cinnamon churros
were a thing because I'm sure you really must get annoyed at people constantly asking these questions of you and not listening when you explain it.

All snark aside, I was pleased to watch it and you, and Kijani Lion is right, someone please get you on the real show!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Well, I did get an invite to Louisville for the second-tier audition. If I pass that I should finally make the cut.

I've only been trying for nine years...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN19X2UJ
Outgoing Amtrak Co-chief Executive Wick Moorman said on Wednesday the money-losing U.S. passenger rail system is considering a less comfortable economy class of seats that could allow it to pack in more passengers.
Wait, wait, wait, is Wick saying the reason Amtrak is losing money is because it can't fit all the people who want to take Amtrak?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CSN Chicago had to issue a correction after finding out the Jose Quintana trade was leaked on reddit yesterday.

This is the actual correction on a legitimate news site:
Correction: While no national media had this story, a Reddit user named "wetbutt23" had it last night. CSNChicago.com apologizes to wetbutt23 for the error.
http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white ... oud-expect

Just when I think you couldn't get any dumber, Internet, you go and do something like this...and completely redeem yourself!

(hattip to Deadspin)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm Wait, wait, wait, is Wick saying the reason Amtrak is losing money is because it can't fit all the people who want to take Amtrak?
The reasons Amtrak loses money are complex[*] but, yes, part of the issue is that they need to increase capacity on certain routes, and adding seats to existing train cars can be a lot cheaper and easier than adding new cars and/or adding train frequencies.

But that's the outgoing CEO talking anyway. I'm sure the new guy will put the kibosh on this, given that he's coming from... Delta Airlines.

[*]And even the reasons why it's supposed to be a money-making enterprise in the first place, as opposed to, say, the Interstate Highway System.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Are the Archivists out celebrating Bastille Day? I can add to the Friday thread, but I can't start it under the Archivists name.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A heckuva time sink, but an article on iconic props in movies. A good launching pad for learning about classic movies if that's a weak spot for you.

Greatest Movie Props

My one gripe? The watch in Pulp Fiction instead of the briefcase? Tsk, tsk.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm Well, I did get an invite to Louisville for the second-tier audition. If I pass that I should finally make the cut.

Retro luck TPH! Hope you enjoyed the visit here. Looks like you were in town during our large music festival. About as busy as it gets outside of Derby.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm Well, I did get an invite to Louisville for the second-tier audition. If I pass that I should finally make the cut.

Retro luck TPH! Hope you enjoyed the visit here. Looks like you were in town during our large music festival. About as busy as it gets outside of Derby.

I didn't have time for much of anything else. Got all the way to the end of the audition, and they really seemed to be taking notice.

If I get a letter within two weeks, that will mean I'm in the pool finally.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Who wants to score Todd Frazier's debut with the Yankees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTtZ9vE ... e=youtu.be
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Story about the Seattle auditions:
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... -100-alex/

I believe I spy a board member in one of the photos, but I'm not naming any names! :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm Story about the Seattle auditions:

I believe I spy a board member in one of the photos, but I'm not naming any names! :)
Maggie's a Boardie?!?!

(Even with my prosopagnosia I recognize who you're talking about.)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm Story about the Seattle auditions:

Maggie's a Boardie?!?!

Andy, Maggie asked who among the crowd was on Jboard and called it a wonderful place. Feel proud. To my knowledge I was the only hand raised, though there were unseen folk behind me. She asked if I agreed it was a great place; you'll have to guess my response.

Maggie's reputation for warmth and energy is well-earned.

alietr, is there someone else you recognize, or how do you know me? I always think I'm more anonymous than I am, I guess.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bomtr wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Maggie's a Boardie?!?!

Andy, Maggie asked who among the crowd was on Jboard and called it a wonderful place. Feel proud. To my knowledge I was the only hand raised, though there were unseen folk behind me. She asked if I agreed it was a great place; you'll have to guess my response.

Maggie's reputation for warmth and energy is well-earned.

alietr, is there someone else you recognize, or how do you know me? I always think I'm more anonymous than I am, I guess.
(Responded privately.) And I'm glad they like it. Everyone should be proud of that. Maggie is beyond great.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bomtr wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm Andy, Maggie asked who among the crowd was on Jboard and called it a wonderful place. Feel proud. To my knowledge I was the only hand raised, though there were unseen folk behind me. She asked if I agreed it was a great place; you'll have to guess my response.
Something about the only downside being the lingering odor of fish-flavored ice cream?
Gautier
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Gautier »

Good luck!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Can someone clarify this for me? I believe Obama put the moonshot cancer-curing initiative as an official priority of the United States in some capacity, correct? If so, why doesn't IBM reach out to the administration, or vice-versa, and maybe get a public-private partnership going? It could help both sides quite a bit.

Granted Trump doesn't give a crap about most of those issues, but it's still very much a possibility if the so-called "calmer voices" (Kelly) sit him down and discuss it with him.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

If you were wondering what Alex does on his days off...

Same as every other 77-year-old. He reads the AAA magazine and writes letters to the editor.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Winston Nguyen, the last J! champ of season 30, has been indicted on charges of grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, identity theft, scheme to defraud, forgery, and more for basically spending $300,000 of someone else's money. He was introduced as a health aide; his victims were a pair of his clients, a Manhattan couple in their nineties. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hom ... -1.3439339