Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7603, 2017-10-04

Austin Rogers game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Jay Hancock, a journalist from Ellicott City, Maryland
Marguerite Moran, a library director from Webster, Minnesota
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (whose 6-day cash winnings total $257,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Yeah, I like his sense of humor, and I must confess, I'm in awe of this young man, our champion, Austin Rogers. But Amy, as you'll recall, gave him quite a run for his money on yesterday's program, except for the Daily Doubles. So it could happen again with Marguerite and Jay. Let's start finding out. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round comes first, as always. Let's see if we can get all the clues in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WELCOME TO LOS ANGELES (5/5)
AUTHORS: BORN & DIED (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TIMELY TALK (3/5)
FOOD & DRINK (4/5)
CLASSIC POP (5/5) (Alex: You identify the performer.)
A KING JAMES BIBLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jay: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Marguerite: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jay found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Austin had $3,200, Marguerite was in the red with -$400, and Jay was at $400. Jay wagered $1,000.

AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $600: Edgar Allan Poe's tale began in Boston in 1809 & ended in this other "B" city in 1849

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Austin: $3,400
Jay: $2,800
Marguerite: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jay Hancock is a journalist from Maryland. Jay, because of the Saturday Night Live sketches they did about Jeopardy!, I'm often asked what are my--what are my feelings about Sean Connery. You got to meet him in a bar. Where?

Jay: I met Sir Sean in an ex-pat Scottish bar in Kearny, New Jersey. Scottish friend of mine wanted to see the satellite feed of a football match that was going on in Edinburgh. And we got up really early in the morning, match was in the afternoon UK time. And we walked in, and who was holding forth at the bar but Sir Sean? Big fan of this particular team.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Alex: Marguerite Moran from Webster, Minnesota. You got to visit a place that many people would love to visit. It's far away.

Marguerite: Yes, I just recently got the chance to visit the Hobbiton movie set in New Zealand, which was incredibly cool.

Alex: So it was worth going that far?

Marguerite: Well, I was already in Australia, so that helps.

Alex: Oh. Okay. That does indeed help, but you had a good time.

Alex: Austin Rogers is our champ. He's a bartender. Each year, you take part in something called Hooligan Fest.

Austin: Yep. My friends and I, we dress up in our vintage Premiership jerseys. We go to a British beer hall--German beer hall. Sorry, you don't want to get those confused. And we go, and we award red cards and yellow cards for certain infractions, and the penalties are usually alcoholic beverages, and no fights ensue.

Alex: Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $1000: Born in England in 1920, he died there in 2016; "Watership Down" came in the middle

FOOD & DRINK $400: In diner slang, an "M.D." isn't a Mountain Dew but this soft drink

TIMELY TALK $600: 4-syllable word for one ancient relic, or ancient times in general

TIMELY TALK $800: There's a stream of water in this term for something that happens at the same time as something else

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Austin: $6,200
Jay: $5,200
Marguerite: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LAKES & RIVERS (3/5) (Alex: And it happens to be the last category written by one of our writers, named Steve Tamerius, who left us recently after thirty years of employment as a writer on Jeopardy!.)
THEIR MARRIED NAMES (5/5)
3 STRAIGHT VOWELS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLAQUE BUILDUP (5/5)
CALCULUS (3/5)
DENTAL PROBLEMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Marguerite: 6 R, 1 W
Jay: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Austin had $6,600, Marguerite had $3,000, and Jay was at $5,200. Austin wagered $5,000.

3 STRAIGHT VOWELS $800: In the NYPD it's the rank just below captain

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Austin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Austin had $21,200, Marguerite had $5,000, and Jay was at $9,200. Austin wagered $6,000.

DENTAL PROBLEMS $1600: A guild of these tooth-pulling professionals whose name is from the Latin for "beard" began in France in 1210

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAKES & RIVERS $1200: The Zhiguli Hills cause this longest European river to make a sharp loop known as the Samara Bend
(Jay: What is the Danube?)

LAKES & RIVERS $2000: In 2016 NASA reported that this Venezuelan lake was the world's lightning capital with 603 bolts per sq. mile per year
(Austin: What is Lake Titicaca?)

3 STRAIGHT VOWELS $2000: Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote that this "without grace is the hook without the bait"

CALCULUS $1600: The rate of change of a function with respect to a variable is denoted by this term that can also mean "unoriginal"

CALCULUS $2000: It all comes together with this calculus operation that lets you find the precise area under a curve

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Austin: $27,600 (lock game)
Jay: $10,000
Marguerite: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN PLAYS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Austin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jay: Wager $4,001 to cover Marguerite.
Marguerite: Risk between $0 and $1,000, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The latitude & longitude given by the narrator of this 1938 play would set it in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire

FINAL SCORES
Marguerite: $7,000 - $6,999 = $1 (What is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jay: $10,000 + $4,500 = $14,500 (What is Our Town?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Austin: $27,600 - $7,000 = $20,600 (What is a taco?) (7-day champion: $278,300)
(Alex: [To Jay] The narrator and the Stage Manager, the same character.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Austin: $19,000, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Jay: $9,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Marguerite: $7,000, 11 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Austin: 25/60 = .417
Jay: 16/59 = .271
Marguerite: 11/58 = .190
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLASSIC POP $400: "Only The Lonely" (1960)
(Marguerite: Uh...)

CLASSIC POP $1000: "Go Your Own Way"
[Applause for Austin's running the category]

FOOD & DRINK $800: The main difference between these two desserts that end in the same three letters is that one contains dairy and the other does not
(Austin: What is sorbet and sherbert?)
(Alex: No "R". Not "sherbert". Sorry, Austin.)
(Austin: I'm from New York. That's how we say it.)

WELCOME TO LOS ANGELES $400: This Beverly Hills road doesn't need a Walk of Fame; it has a Walk of Style featuring plaques devoted to Armani and Herb Ritts

TIMELY TALK $1000: Before singing about "The Time Warp", Riff Raff intones, "Time is" this, meaning it passes quickly
(Alex: In The Rocky Horror Picture Show.)

3 STRAIGHT VOWELS $400: The first ones in the 1700s were of people, but now they can be of anything

DENTAL PROBLEMS $1200: Per the universal numbering system, an adult would likely get rid of these teeth numbered 1, 16, 17 & 32
(Jay: What are incisors?)

PLAQUE BUILDUP $1200: Seen here is Stephanie Kwolek, honored with a plaque as the inventor of this polymer used in body armor

CALCULUS $1200: "Calculus" is Latin for a small one of these, used by the ancients on counting boards
(Marguerite: What is a bead?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Baltimore
Richard Adams
Dr. Pepper
antiquity
concurrent or concurrently
lieutenant
barbers
the Volga River
Lake Maracaibo
beauty
derivative
integration
Our Town
Roy Orbison
Fleetwood Mac
sorbet and sherbet
Rodeo Drive
fleeting
silhouettes
wisdom teeth
Kevlar
a stone
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN PLAYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The latitude & longitude given by the narrator of this 1938 play would set it in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire

Austin Rogers: 27600-7000=20600 (7x = $278,300)
Marguerite Moran: 7000-6999=1
Jay Hancock: 10000+4500=14500

Correct response:
Spoiler
Our Town (Austin - taco) (Marguerite – What is)

Daily Doubles
Jay: 400+1000
Austin: 6600+5000
Austin: 21200+6000

Coryats
Austin: 19000
Marguerite: 7000
Jay: 9600

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 6200
Marguerite: 3000
Jay: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As part of his introduction Austin took out his pretend flip phone and took a call.

Austin ran CLASSIC POP to open the game and as good as he has been this did not seem like a common event for him to go 5/5 in a category.

As part of the opening Alex said the awaited, “I’m in awe.” For the DJ! round Alex announced that LAKES & RIVERS would be the last category written by Steve Tamerius who left the show after 30 years of employment.

Playing the FJ! clue I would have bet the over for only one person getting the clue right. Play + New Hampshire is not the simple equation I thought it was when the clue was revealed.

Austin made it obvious during think time that he was lost on it, but the scoreboard indicated it would not matter for the result. My first exposure to the play was back in 8th grade English when the teacher had the class read the play. Over the next forty years there is no counting how many times that Wilder work has come up in trivia things.

The FJ! clue also has me fondly recalling a fantastic episode of The Wonder Years centered around the play.

It’s quite an accomplishment by Austin to have won more money in seven victories ($278,300) than Seth Wilson won ($265,002) in 12 wins. $297,200 by Arthur Chu is next on list.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Second Pavlov FJ! of the week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I read the play many years ago but don't recall much about other than a stage manager being part of it. I do not recall the longitude/latitude being given or a state being given. But the wording in the clue did seem to point to a town so I went with all I had and was rewarded for knowing something Austin didn't.

The win wasn't quite as dominating as others, but a solid lock nonetheless. Getting beat on Harper Lee cost him some money as the DD was in the next box. He was fortunate that Jay didn't hit the dental DD at the end and break the lock.

A bit of advice given to people when they get the call is to research what days their show will air to see if anything important is connected to that date in case it comes up on the show. By the look of his FJ response, Austin must have done that.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:58 pm Playing the FJ! clue I would have bet the over for only one person getting the clue right. Play + New Hampshire is not the simple equation I thought it was when the clue was revealed.
Well, the year and the mention of the stage manager also helped me be sure they were referencing the play that's set in Grover's Corners, New Hampshire. And "Our Town" being one of my precalls further helped the FJ be an instaget for me.

This wasn't Austin's best game but (helped along by his usual robust DD wagering) he still ended up with his 5th runaway in 7 games, which made FJ inconsequential -- which is the reason to go big on DD's when (like Austin) you're a cumulative 14 for 15 on DD's or anywhere close to that. I wonder if this FJ result shows Austin to have a weakness in old-timey theater. Anyway, it says something about how dominant his first 6 games were that despite another lock game, his performance in this one led "The Jeopardy! Fan" to reduce his expected total number of games won (or, in the words of that website, "Avg. streak") from about 15.3 to about 13.8.

I'm from NY and I don't pronounce that frozen dessert "sher-bert." :D

So now we've had the episode where Alex says he's in awe. I wonder when we'll have the episode where Alex makes the dreaded KJ comparison. :)

That was pretty cool that Alex gave a shout-out to the retiring writer.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:58 pm Austin ran CLASSIC POP to open the game and as good as he has been this did not seem like a common event for him to go 5/5 in a category.
I was really expecting a clue in honor of Tom Petty here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

And speaking of Harper Lee, you all know she was a big fan of yours truly, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/22/book ... athed.html

I have a tiny hope that this fact will some day appear in a Jeopardy! clue. I have an even tinier hope that it won't be a triple stumper.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:58 pm Austin ran CLASSIC POP to open the game and as good as he has been this did not seem like a common event for him to go 5/5 in a category.
I was really expecting a clue in honor of Tom Petty here.
Honestly I was disappointed they didn't have a clue about last night's AL wildcard game.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

#Sherbetgate2017
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I knew (due to the much-discussed Canadian promo) that Austin could not lose until after we heard Alex say "I am in awe." When Alex said that today, I thought this might be the day. But obviously it was not.
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor

Post by KaladinStormblessed »

:shock: no final for Austin!

I didn't get the FJ, but my mom did. Coryat: $23,100.(That seems wrong now that I look at it...shouldn't it be a multiple of 200?) Ran the math again, it's $22,600.

Being Canadian, despite our exposure to American media, I miss a lot of the Americana clues. The LA category was lost on me. Today also exposed my biggest pub trivia weakness -- music. I didn't get a single Classic Pop question.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Was not impressed with the calculus knowledge from the contestants.

I have never seen the play and have no idea what it's really about, but it was the first thing that came to me and I stuck with "Our Town"
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor

Post by KaladinStormblessed »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:50 pm Was not impressed with the calculus knowledge from the contestants.
No kidding! :shock: I flunked high school calculus and still ran the category. It was really just vocabulary. I guess Jeopardy doesn't attract math geeks.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Los Angeles (5), Authors (5), Timely (1), Food/Drink (1), Pop (4), Bible (4)
Lakes/Rivers (3), Married (5), 3 Straight Vowels (2), Plaque (4), Calculus (1), Dental (1)

Lach Trash: Richard Adams, beauty

I remembering seeing some older J-Archive clues where Our Town was identified as being from 1938; that's what mainly helped me here.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I learned something today. Some of you may find this interesting or amusing.

I'm not great in American literature from the first half of the twentieth century, and for some reason, I always had a vague idea that "Our Town" was set in Minnesota.

Today, I think I figured out why.

The titles "Our Town" (play by Thornton Wilder) and "Main Street" (novel by Sinclair Lewis) are quite similar in a way (two short words describing a generic location).

"Our Town" is set in Grover's Corners, and "Main Street" is set in Gopher Prairie. "Grover" and "Gopher" sound very similar.

So I guess in my hazy memories, the two of them kind of blurred together.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ was gettable, but I blanked. :(
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:14 pm #Sherbetgate2017
I usually pronounce it "sherbert" but would have said "sherbet" had I been on the show, since they wanted something ending with the same first three letters as sorbet.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

KaladinStormblessed wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 pm
OSXpert wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:50 pm Was not impressed with the calculus knowledge from the contestants.
No kidding! :shock: I flunked high school calculus and still ran the category. It was really just vocabulary. I guess Jeopardy doesn't attract math geeks.
Integration and Derivatives missed. That is weak.

There are plenty of math-philes on Jeopardy, and they reap in the money. My favourite was giving Joon Pahk a daily double where he had to multiply and add... http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3725 . Kaching on the easiest true daily double. They also wager better and win where someone who doesn't know math would lose.

I really struggle with people who watch jeopardy and seem to value knowledge and education and yet are happy to call people who know math "math geeks". Math is beautiful, challenging and fun. For some reason it is a point of pride to profess ignorance of math (yes, I know you didn't KaladinStormblessed). Let's move beyond the tired stereotypes please.