Friday, October 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7615, 2017-10-20

CONTESTANTS
Kathleen Kosman, an attorney from Dearborn, Michigan
Tim Suba, a public education consultant from Los Angeles, California
Tom Blake, a video producer from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all. Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. So far this season, we have been very good at getting to almost all the clues in the Jeopardy! and Double Jeopardy! Rounds. Let's see if we can do it again today. Kathleen and Tim, welcome aboard. Tom, good to see you. Now to the board and these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STREAMING EPISODES (3/5)
AROUND THE JEOPARDY! LIBRARY (4/5)
AN EDIFICE COMPLEX (4/4)
NEVER HAVE I EVER (4/5)
THE 20th CENTURY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DYSPHEMISMS (5/5) (Alex: These are euphemisms on the slightly nasty side.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kathleen: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Tim: 9 R, 1 W
Tom: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Tom had $1,200, Tim was scoreless, and Kathleen was at $1,200. Tom wagered $1,000.

THE 20th CENTURY $600: The unfortunate Captain Max Pruss was in command of this vehicle over New Jersey on May 6, 1937
(Alex: He was badly burned, but he survived.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tom: $2,400
Kathleen: $1,600
Tim: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Some of you folks at home may have noticed that the first player we introduced on the program today--this young lady, Kathleen Kosman--is seated, and that's because she has a broken leg. Now I know you practice a Brazilian martial art. Did you break it in that?

Kathleen: No, that would be a more interesting story. I practice the Brazilian martial art known as Capoeira, though I can't for a while, obviously, with a broken ankle. I just tripped and fell down the stairs.

Alex: Ah. Okay.

Alex: Tim Suba, from Los Angeles, recently went skydiving for the first time.

Tim: I did, yes.

Alex: Attached to another human being with a line? What?

Tim: Fortunately, yes. Attached to another human being. I went with my partner. I bought the experience as a Christmas present. And as--pro tip, if you have the chance to go first, you should do that. Because I went second, and saw--seeing him drop from the plane was disconcerting before you have to do it yourself.

[Laughter]

Alex: I have done it. And I looked up and I saw my chute tangled. And that'll give you second thoughts about skydiving.

Alex: Tom Blake is a video producer from New York, and you're also into straight photography. You had a show in New York. I wanna hear about it.

Tom: I did. I took a lot of pictures of water tanks on top of buildings with different skies in the background, lots of different colors, lots of different formations. There was a cafe in my neighborhood that I thought should have these pictures hanging on the wall. Talked to them, and after a process, I had a show there.

Alex: Terrific.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AROUND THE JEOPARDY! LIBRARY $600: The more than 6,000 entries in the "Food Lover's Companion" include this dish made by stirring hot stock into sauteed rice

THE 20th CENTURY $800: This system of 3D photography was invented in the 1940s; the 1960 invention of the laser made it much more efficient

THE 20th CENTURY $1000: Forces of this nation held off Vietminh attacks at Dien Bien Phu for 56 days but finally surrendered on May 7, 1954

STREAMING EPISODES $400: "Windsor" & "Gloriana"

STREAMING EPISODES $1000: "Tape 1, Side A" & "Tape 7, Side A"

NEVER HAVE I EVER $600: ...sung "You And Me (But Mostly Me)" or "Tomorrow Is A Latter Day" in this show on a Broadway stage but at home...sure!

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kathleen: $4,800
Tim: $4,600
Tom: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STREAMING EPISODES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FROM PAGE TO MULTIPLEX (4/5)
ON THE PERIODIC TABLE (4/5)
DOING BUSINESS IN THE 1800s (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN (4/5)
"HAL" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kathleen: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Tom: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Tim: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Tom had $4,400, Tim had $6,600, and Kathleen was at $6,400. Tom wagered $2,200.

STREAMING EPISODES $2000: A Turkish river gave us this word for a U-shaped bend in a stream's course; now it also means to take a winding course

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kathleen who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Tom had $9,400, Tim had $6,600, and Kathleen was at $10,800. Kathleen wagered $2,000.

DOING BUSINESS IN THE 1800s $1200: In Britain a pound equaled 20 shillings; this gold coin named for a region of Africa equaled 21 shillings

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FROM PAGE TO MULTIPLEX $2000: The 1963 western "Hud" was based on "Horseman, Pass By", his first novel

DOING BUSINESS IN THE 1800s $800: How's a mill or mine owner to make a living with laws like the Mass. one in 1842 limiting these workers to a 10-hour day
(Kathleen: What are laborers?)

DOING BUSINESS IN THE 1800s $2000: Dickens' United Metropolitan Improved Hot Muffin & Crumpet Baking & Punctual Delivery Co. was a joint this co.

AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN $1600: In 1995, decades after the assassination of her husband Medgar, she became head of the NAACP
(Tom: Who is Evers?)
(Alex: Need more. Need the first--)
(Tom: Who is Louisa Evers?)

ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $2000: Radioactive element named for American chemist Glenn
(Alex: Never heard of it myself. Glenn Seaborg, but it's [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kathleen: $16,400
Tom: $10,200
Tim: $9,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH MONARCHS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Kathleen: Wager $4,001 to cover Tom.
Tom: You have the hope of surpassing Kathleen if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,401 to force Kathleen to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Tim.
Tim: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $9,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her marriage to a European crown prince in the 16th century added Queen of Naples & Queen of Jerusalem to her titles

FINAL SCORES
Tim: $9,800 + $9,799 = $19,599 (Who is Queen Mary I) (2nd place: $2,000)
Tom: $10,200 - $200 = $10,000 (Who is Marie Antoinet) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kathleen: $16,400 + $4,000 = $20,400 (Who is Queen Mary I?) (New champion: $20,400)
(Alex: [To Tim] The Tudor Mary.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kathleen: $15,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Tim: $9,800, 15 R, 2 W
Tom: $9,600, 13 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Kathleen: 21/59 = .356
Tim: 16/58 = .276
Tom: 13/60 = .217
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DYSPHEMISMS $1000: The use of these mines for prison labor could be the reason you go "back to" them in a drudge job
(Tom: What are the coal mines?)

AROUND THE JEOPARDY! LIBRARY $200: We still browse Encyclopedia Britannica, last printed in 2010 & first printed in this U.K. country in 1768
(Tim: What is England?)

NEVER HAVE I EVER $1000: ...hung out with this Norse god who helped the blind Hoder commit murder by mistletoe
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AN EDIFICE COMPLEX $800: Twisting skyscrapers, a 21st century innovation, include the 73-story Cayan Tower that stands out in this rich emirate
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

STREAMING EPISODES $400: This second-longest river in Europe begins where the streams Breg & Brigach merge in the Black Forest
(Tim: What is the Rhine?)
(Kathleen: What is the Rhone?)

STREAMING EPISODES $800: A stream flows vertically through the center of a work he painted during his second stay in Tahiti

"HAL" $2000: Used for both thrusting and striking around 1500, it's the weapon seen here

AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN $1200: This singer entertained us from the 1930s into the '90s; enjoy some of her genius now
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $800: Atomic No. 53, it's highly soluble in alcohol & then is used on cuts & scrapes
(Tom: What is mercury?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Hindenburg
risotto
holography
French forces
The Crown
13 Reasons Why
The Book of Mormon
meander
a guinea
Larry McMurtry
children
a joint stock company
Myrlie Evers
seaborgium
Queen Mary I
the salt mines
Scotland
Loki
Dubai
the Danube
Gauguin
a halberd
Ella Fitzgerald
iodine
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH MONARCHS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her marriage to a European Crown Prince in the 16th century added Queen of Naples & Queen of Jerusalem to her titles

Tom Blake: 10200-200=10000
Tim Suba: 9800+9799=19599
Kathleen Kosman: 16400+4000=20400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mary I (Tom – Marie Antoinet)

Daily Doubles
Tom: 1200+1000
Tom: 4400+2200
Kathleen: 10800+2000

Coryats
Tom: 9600
Tim: 9800
Kathleen: 15600

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Tom: 2400
Tim: 4600
Kathleen: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex's opening mentioned that so far this season they've been very good at getting to almost all of the clues. Of course that meant less than 61 clues today. I did a quick count and have 16/30 games with 61 clues.

We had a QS today (quadruple stumper) as Alex said he had never heard of it himself.

ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $2000: Radioactive element named for American chemist Glenn

I wonder what Tom would have guessed for the FJ! round if he had recalled the category? As it went he got most of a very wrong response in. Not that I can laugh as I misfired on processing the clue.

My lane was 1500s Elizabeth I was middle of the century and went on into the 1600s. I could not recall her being married, so further back. From there I thought of Henry 8 and thought I had to pick one of his wives. I wrote Catherine of Aragon without once having the bright idea to bring Mary I into the mix.

In 2005 before I went on the show my limited study areas were British Monarchs, world capitals and current cabinet members. As each day has gone by I forget more and more of those and by 2017 it can sometimes be like I'm back at square one.

I was curious to see how many times the leader in a non-lock game has bet for second place doubling up and adding a dollar and only one found one instance this month with Scarlett on Oct. 12th.

In September only Sept. 13 when discounting runaways and tie scenarios.

What the leader is going to bet it seems like it won't be exactly an old school bet.
Golf

Post by Golf »

So it seems first place yesterday played for second place today and finished third. Deserving.

The leader's wager is exactly why if you have to answer correctly in order to have a chance to win from behind, you might as well wager everything.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Lost out on the coin flip between Elizabeth and Mary.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

StevenH wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:13 pm Lost out on the coin flip between Elizabeth and Mary.
Elizabeth never married, so by process of elimination...
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

goforthetie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:13 pm Lost out on the coin flip between Elizabeth and Mary.
Elizabeth never married, so by process of elimination...
I wish I'd stopped there. But I figured that was too easy, and the category said British monarchs, which would include Scottish monarchs, so I said Mary, Queen of Scots. Ah well.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm We had a QS today (quadruple stumper) as Alex said he had never heard of it himself.

:lol: when the correct response was revealed.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Carpe Diem wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm We had a QS today (quadruple stumper) as Alex said he had never heard of it himself.

:lol: when the correct response was revealed.
Friend gave me a strange look when I said "seaborgium! Of course!!" Looks like that's the first time the element has shown up in a clue.

Instaget FJ. Two 16th c. queens, pick the one who wasn't the unmarried Virgin Queen, slam dunk. I thought someone would go for Elizabeth; I was not prepared for Marie Antoinette. Or Tom's wager.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Do you folks think "Bloody Mary" would have counted as a correct response? That's what I wrote down at home. (I wasn't 100% sure what her regnal number was, but probably would have guessed "the first" if forced to.)
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $20,800
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :(

4/5's in "HAL", Periodic, Dysphemisms.

WAD for FJ!: Queen Victoria, even though I knew it was much too late. Almost went with Mary, Queen of Scots, but she was too early late as well.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Dysphemisms and "Hal".

Episodes was a big goose egg for me. "BoJack Horseman" caught me off guard since none of the others were animated series.

That Evers clue went exactly how I figured it would.

I wonder if seaborgium got the clue about his screenname?

Lach Trash: Book of Mormon

Nothing I put down will be right. I didn't even know there was a Queen Mary.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:49 pm So it seems first place yesterday played for second place today and finished third. Deserving.
He must have thought players with a comfortable lead frequently wager like Manny did a few days ago.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Bloody Mary Tudor for me. :twisted:
Was the seaborgium clue the last one? I came home just in time to hear what sounded to these ears like "keyboardium". :lol:
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

It seems that to have any staying power as a Jeopardy! champion, one needs to know something about the history of British royalty extending back several centuries. I am curious; how do successful players know such information? My schooling (large city public and parochial schools) did not touch this topic. Nor did any of my college classes. But this topic seems to surface regularly.

Jasper
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm

I was curious to see how many times the leader in a non-lock game has bet for second place doubling up and adding a dollar and only one found one instance this month with Scarlett on Oct. 12th.

But isn't that what you are supposed to do? If I hadn't done that then Austin would have won and he was certainly betting as though that's what I was going to do.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

Todays DDs: 2/3
Final: No way. I had no idea.

Lach Trash: Risotto, 13 Reasons Why, Book of Mormon
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $2000: Radioactive element named for American chemist Glenn
This needs to be a bonus Q solely on principle. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

sims wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm

But isn't that what you are supposed to do? If I hadn't done that then Austin would have won and he was certainly betting as though that's what I was going to do.
He's saying you're the only one who's done the minimum cover wager without offering a tie.

I answered the last $2,000 clue with my arms in the air. And got a text from JyV'92 about the clue less than a minute later.

The FJ clue made me think the husband could be William of Orange and I said Mary. Then I realized the 16th century was too early for W&M, and that, oh, Henry VIII had a daughter Mary who became queen, and I stuck with a response of Mary. But I didn't give her a number or "Tudor" or "bloody." I would like to think I would have thrown a vertical line between her name and the question mark if I'd been on the show, but I can't be sure.