SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: SHC Round 1 Instant Replay Thread [SPOILERS]

Post by gnash »

DadofTwins wrote:I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
Ah, so it is something with inertia, at least in name. But the description still has nothing to do with the First Law of Motion. Rather, it seems to negate the Second Law of Motion. I'd say it's a clue without a correct response.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

jepkid97 wrote:I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
So you will be thrown to the bottom of the rankings, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
So you will be thrown to the bottom of the rankings, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Oy! You're telling me?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gnash wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
Ah, so it is something with inertia, at least in name. But the description still has nothing to do with the First Law of Motion. Rather, it seems to negate the Second Law of Motion. I'd say it's a clue without a correct response.
OK ... what am I missing? The First Law is the Law of Inertia and the dampers negate that.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote:
gnash wrote:
OK ... what am I missing? The First Law is the Law of Inertia and the dampers negate that.
I don't know anything about Star Trek, so I am just going by Dad's description, which says they negate the effect of acceleration, which can only be connected to the Second Law.

Negating the First Law would mean things would spontaneously start or stop moving. That doesn't seem similar to Dad's description.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
jepkid97 wrote: I'm Jewish! I don't do New Testament!
I'm not Greek, but I do Olympians.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

NJCondon wrote: Heck, I used to have an empty drawer in my lab marked, "Vorlon Technology."

Inertial dampers for the 3. clue seemed a bit brutal, but it was otherwise a lot of fun.
I still have a few copies of Universe Today and a Babylon 5 Security Manual

I really went off-planet on the 3 pointer. I answered "tractor beams," thinking of stopping the forward motion of ships pursued by the Enterprise(s)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I would have answered Judas for the 10-pointer, but he seemed way too obvious for that point level. :(
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff »

DadofTwins wrote:ETA: I once picked up a book called "The Physics of Star Trek" or some such that explained that the most important device on the ship was the "inertial damp(en)er," which would "prevent your brain from being turned to mayonnaise when the ship suddenly accelerated to warp speed."
The question asked how a ship negates the first law (staying at rest), so thrusters and impulse engines seemed to be most correct (since they overcome the ship's inertia). I'm not sure how so many players made the leap to the crew's acceleration with the ship. Did I miss part of the clue?

BTW, Aren't there two people named Judas in the NT? Since Judas is a first name, would that alone be insufficient? :shock: Coming up with Iscariot would then make it more of a 10-pointer.
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

I think there should be extra credit given for being able to sing My Freeze Ray.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

--Pete wrote:Hi,

--Pete
Yes, but there is a difference. Many people still worship the New Testament, but very few (if any) still worship the Olympians.

That means something, right?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

I presume it's widely known that, after publishing his famous letters, he became popularly known as Saint "Corinthians" Paul. Right? Anybody?

:cry:

Rex
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
jepkid97 wrote: Yes, but there is a difference. Many people still worship the New Testament, but very few (if any) still worship the Olympians.

Kidding aside, I do think that there are a disproportionate number of clues taken from the Bible compared to the number taken from other religious works. I feel the same way about the emphasis on French as compared to all other languages. That said, if one knows this to be true, then one prepares accordingly. Studying a French phrase book and maybe some elementary French vocabulary is not unreasonable. Reading the Bible (KJV, since that is what they seem to use) is also not unreasonable. As an alternative, reading Asimov's commentary on the Bible (the exact title escapes me at the moment) will probably get you everything you need to know (other than exact KJV quotes) and is both more enjoyable and more informative.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

--Pete wrote: Kidding aside, I do think that there are a disproportionate number of clues taken from the Bible compared to the number taken from other religious works. I feel the same way about the emphasis on French as compared to all other languages. That said, if one knows this to be true, then one prepares accordingly. Studying a French phrase book and maybe some elementary French vocabulary is not unreasonable. Reading the Bible (KJV, since that is what they seem to use) is also not unreasonable. As an alternative, reading Asimov's commentary on the Bible (the exact title escapes me at the moment) will probably get you everything you need to know (other than exact KJV quotes) and is both more enjoyable and more informative.

--Pete
And then as people study for it, they keep categories for it since the contestants do well on it, so hopeful contestants study for it and then...so basically we just need every contestant to bomb Bible and French categories :mrgreen:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

jepkid97 wrote:
--Pete wrote:Hi,

--Pete
Yes, but there is a difference. Many people still worship the New Testament, but very few (if any) still worship the Olympians.

Yes, it means something: it means you have no excuse for not doing the New Testament, even though you don't worship it!

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Rex Kramer wrote:Yes, it means something: it means you have no excuse for not doing the New Testament, even though you don't worship it!

Rex
Hey! This is a family board.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No, it's a sole proprietorship.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Okay, I'll ask. How off base was my guess of retro rockets for the inertial dampers clue? Lost in Space was the show that gave me something to try.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Argh... The stupid IRS is annoying me even after I no longer have to pay their taxes. How could I forget the 1040 is the number for the form?!?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Oy vey.