Wednesday, November 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7643, 2017-11-29

CONTESTANTS
Shawn Adler, a high school English teacher from Hackensack, New Jersey
Missy Meyer, a graphic designer from Gilbert, Arizona
Matt Preston, an assets protection leader from Harvest, Alabama (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,799)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hard to believe that we're just a month away from the holidays, but Matt has begun saving money for Christmas and New Year's. Big win yesterday. Missy and Shawn, it's up to you today if you wanna replace him. Work hard. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I GET A KICK OUT OF HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TV SETTINGS (2/5)
SPOT CHECK (5/5)
NUMBERS AS WORDS (5/5)
THE SHOE MUST GO ON (2/5)
BILDUNGSROMAN (1/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Shawn: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Matt: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Missy: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 10
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Matt was in the hole with -$400, Missy was scoreless, and Shawn was at $1,400. Matt wagered $1,000.

I GET A KICK OUT OF HISTORY $1000: Phew! As a boy on the Indiana frontier, this president was kicked unconscious by a horse but survived
(Matt: Who is... Polk?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Shawn: $1,400
Matt: -$800
Missy: -$1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Shawn Adler is a high school English teacher from Hackensack, New Jersey, who was once involved in a pretty dangerous situation. An armed standoff?

Shawn: I was, Alex. I was walking across a gas station when a car swerved, hit a curb, and just barely missed me. The passenger in the vehicle spilled out, and I went to go help him. Little did I know that right behind me were 12 cop cars. He had just robbed a bank with an accomplice. And the guy that was driving kicked him out just to get the cop cars to stop. So I was right in the middle. I had all those guns pointed at me.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Missy Meyer, I have bad news for you, unfortunately. A few moments ago in your response in the Shoes category, you said, "Doc Marten." You didn't put an "S" on, and the gentleman's name is Martens.

Missy: All right.

Alex: So we have to take away $1200. You're now at -$1600, but it's early. It's early. Now you used to do a webcomic. Tell me about it.

Missy: Yes. Yeah, I did a daily comic strip that was called Holiday Doodles, and I would take weird and obscure holidays that people didn't really know about and combine those into a cartoon.

Alex: Give me an example of a couple of them.

Missy: So February 2nd is Groundhog Day. We all know that one for the most part, but it's also Hedgehog Day and also Play Your Ukulele Day. So I would do a little cartoon of a groundhog and a hedgehog jamming out on ukuleles.

[Laughter]

Alex: You're very imaginative. Good for you.

Alex: Matt Preston is our champion. He's from Alabama. He has a good sense of humor also, I feel, because you once went whitewater rafting and did the whole thing wearing...

Matt: A fake mustache.

Alex: Why would you do this?

Matt: My friends and I decided to have some fun on vacation, so we went whitewater rafting. We stopped by the dollar store and got some fake mustaches, and put a little wager on who could stay on the longest. And I happened to win.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Guys. It's a guy thing, believe me.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV SETTINGS $400: A South Dakota town where there is no law as of July 1876

TV SETTINGS $800: The prestigious African-American-owned law firm of Reddick, Boseman & Kolstad in Chicago

TV SETTINGS $1000: A Florida nail salon
(Matt: [Sighs])

I GET A KICK OUT OF HISTORY $800: French commander Bougainville blew up talks with the Iroquois when he kicked a friendship belt of these money beads

THE SHOE MUST GO ON $600: This "physician" is in with its 8-eye boots
(Missy: What is Dr. Marten?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect during contestant interviews]

THE SHOE MUST GO ON $800: On an episode of "Sex and the City", Carrie's shoes are stolen--a brand new pair by this ultra-pricey designer

THE SHOE MUST GO ON $1000: Comfortech is a line from this family-named men's shoe brand that began in Chicago in 1892
(Missy: What is Clarks?)

BILDUNGSROMAN $200: A bildungsroman can tell of the rise & education of a man or a woman, like this Austen title heroine

BILDUNGSROMAN $400: Philip grows up in this novel by W. Somerset Maugham & the "Bondage" is his passion for a not very nice waitress
(Shawn: What is On Human Bondage?)

BILDUNGSROMAN $600: In 1867 he published a novel about "Ragged Dick", who isn't so ragged by book's end

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Missy: $2,600
Shawn: $1,800
Matt: $800
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GAME OF DRONES (5/5)
CAPITALS IN OCEANIA (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOTOWN LYRICS (3/5)
"H"2"O" (5/5)
SCIENCE & NATURE (4/5)
BUILDING, ROMAN (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Shawn: 6 R, 0 W
Missy: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Matt had $7,600, Missy had $4,600, and Shawn was at $4,600. Matt wagered $2,000.

CAPITALS IN OCEANIA $800: Majuro, capital of the Marshall Islands, is part of this type of coral island that encloses a lagoon

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Matt had $12,800, Missy had $8,200, and Shawn was at $7,000. Matt wagered $2,000.

BUILDING, ROMAN $2000: Over 2,000 years after it was built, the Bridge of Alcantara in western Spain still crosses this river
(Matt: Oh, man. What is the Tiber River?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CAPITALS IN OCEANIA $400: This capital is located on Cook Strait at the extreme southwestern tip of North Island
(Matt: What is Auckland?)
(Missy: What is Christchurch?)

CAPITALS IN OCEANIA $2000: This capital of French Polynesia has over half the population of the island of Tahiti

MOTOWN LYRICS $1600: "Before you ask some girl for her hand now, keep your freedom for as long as you can now, my mama told me" this

BUILDING, ROMAN $800: Later used for other things, the Maison Carrée in Nimes was first this type of building

BUILDING, ROMAN $1200: Everyone knows about this emperor's wall in Britain, but he also built a library in Athens

SCIENCE & NATURE $2000: Of DNA's 8 bases, this one was first discovered in animal dung, hence its name
(Alex: From guano.)

BUILDING, ROMAN $1600: Victor Emmanuel II & Raphael are at rest in this Roman structure; Paris has its own

MOTOWN LYRICS $2000: "Could it be the devil in me or is this the way love's supposed to be? It's like" one of these
(Alex: Great song by Martha and The Vandellas.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $10,800
Missy: $8,200
Shawn: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMILIAR PHRASES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Matt: Wager $5,601 to cover Missy.
Missy: You ought to wager to cover Shawn, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $8,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,800 (to shut out Shawn) or less than $3,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Shawn). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Matt.
Shawn: Consider risking between $1,201 and $1,800. This will top a $0 wager by Missy while still beating Matt on the Triple Stumper (should Matt wager to cover Missy's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1870s this phrase meant a hairdo, using a British word for bangs; now it's an extreme group on the edge of a cause

FINAL SCORES
Shawn: $7,000 - $7,000 = $0 (What is a radical) (3rd place: $1,000)
Missy: $8,200 - $5,801 = $2,399 (What is a fringe element) (2nd place: $2,000)
Matt: $10,800 - $5,601 = $5,199 (What is end of your rope) (2-day champion: $25,998)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $12,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Missy: $8,200, 12 R, 4 W
Shawn: $7,000, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $27,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 15/61 = .246
Missy: 12/58 = .207
Shawn: 12/58 = .207
Team: 39/63 = .619

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I GET A KICK OUT OF HISTORY $400: A memorial unveiled in 2014 honors the spontaneous soccer games of this war's Christmas truce

NUMBERS AS WORDS $200: This number can mean to turn your life around or just turn yourself around
(Missy: What is 360?)

SPOT CHECK $200: The umbra, the dark center of one of these phenomena, can be many times larger than the Earth

SPOT CHECK $800: This classic quartet's biggest hit was "If I Didn't Care"

SPOT CHECK $1000: A poisonous red variety of this with white spots is called fly agaric because it was once used to kill flies
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

BILDUNGSROMAN $800: Orson Scott Card took the concept to space, telling the story of Andrew Wiggin in this 1985 sci-fi classic
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCIENCE & NATURE $400: A striking sight on Kelleys Island, Ohio, are the grooves named for these chilly formations that etched them into the rock

CORRECT RESPONSES
Abraham Lincoln
Deadwood
The Good Fight
Claws
wampum
Doc Martens
Manolo Blahnik
Florsheim
Emma
Of Human Bondage
Horatio Alger
an atoll
the Tagus
Wellington
Papeete
you'd better shop around
a temple
Hadrian
guanine
the Pantheon
like a heat wave
a lunatic fringe
World War I
a sunspot
The Ink Spots
a mushroom
Ender's Game
glaciers
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMILIAR PHRASES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1870s this phrase meant a hairdo, using a British word for bangs; now it’s an extreme group on the edge of a cause

Matt Preston: 10800-5601=5199 (2x = $25,998)
Missy Meyer: 8200-5801=2300
Shawn: 7000-7000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
lunatic fringe (Matt – end of your rope) (Missy – fringe element) (Shawn – radical l)

Daily Doubles
Matt: minus 400-1000
Matt: 7600+2000
Matt: 12800-2000 (29th clue, $2000 remaining, leading by 4600)

Coryats
Matt: 12600
Missy: 8200
Shawn: 7400

Combined: 27,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Matt: 800
Missy: 2600
Shawn: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No, not Auckland. No, not Christchurch. Shawn! Come on now, dude.

The judges had an easy reversal on the Dr. Marten error and an easy neg for the wrong preposition for the Maugham work.

Here is her site Missy got a plug in for: http://holidaydoodles.com/

Splinter group was my response for the FJ! clue. Even when Alex said Missy was close I still did not get it. I would have needed to hear this song to get it:
Spoiler
Matt’s math for the FJ! round added up tonight. Missy covered the potential of Shawn doubling. Which he did attempt. Shawn left with $1,000 while he could have had $5K+ and a second game. Not the best way to get a good night’s sleep on taping day or a flight back across the country.

At least Jeopardy!'s Matt will be on the air tomorrow. Zing!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I liked Matt's DD bet at the end. It protects his lead even if he is wrong and Misty gets the last Motown clue. The architecture category didn't seem to be his strong suit, so going for the outright lock wouldn't have been a good idea. If he had gotten it right, he had a chance at the lock by getting the last clue.

As it was, Shawn helped him out by going all in on FJ.

I said just fringe on FJ. I don't see this polling very high. Maybe a poll request for having the word fringe in your question?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Today's FJ might be familiar to other Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, since that's how it occurred to me. Ma Ingalls utters this phrase when Laura updates her 'do with the household shears then curls her resulting bangs around a pencil. Tsk tsk tsk. . . those wacky 1880's teenagers!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have heard the terms fringe and fringe group, but never with the word lunatic.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:37 pm Today's FJ might be familiar to other Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, since that's how it occurred to me. Ma Ingalls utters this phrase when Laura updates her 'do with the household shears then curls her resulting bangs around a pencil. Tsk tsk tsk. . . those wacky 1880's teenagers!
Beat me to it!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:40 pm I have heard the terms fringe and fringe group, but never with the word lunatic.
I have heard of lunatic fringe, but never would have associated it with a hairstyle.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:59 pm
StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:40 pm I have heard the terms fringe and fringe group, but never with the word lunatic.
I have heard of lunatic fringe, but never would have associated it with a hairstyle.
I said radical fringe, but if lunatic fringe had occurred to me, I would have dismissed it as too weird an answer for a hairstyle, especially for something from the 1800’s.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said “fringe” immeadiately and felt pretty confident. Luckily I took the time to reread that it had to be a phrase and I changed it to “lunatic fringe” with time to spare. I used to play a video game with that name, or else I don’t think it would have qualified as a familiar phrase for me.

I liked that the clue for Hadrien said that everyone knows his wall...apparently not as it was a triple stumper.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I'm not sure how we were meant to get lunatic fringe. "Fringe" was easy enough, but it's also not a phrase. I'm not sure how someone was meant to get the "lunatic" part without being an expert on nineteenth century hairstyles, aside from a lucky guess, since there are a lot of "fringe" phrases the second part of the clue could have been.

For what it's worth, I ultimately picked fringe element, too.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

3/5 in TV settings, I forgot all about The Good Fight (and the 12 people who watched it probably did too) and I had to google Claws. 5/5 Motown lyrics, else my mother would've skinned me ali mounted my head on a pike as a warning to t been very disappointed.

I know I harp on this a lot, but two whiffs at the capital of New Zealand, and yet another Papeete TS? Capitals, people.

Hmm, bangs/extreme group = fringe, that was eas....wait, they want a phrase!? Fringe grou--nope, group is in the clue...extr---nope. Fringe element? Lunatic fringe? *mental coin flip* lunatic fringe it is. I'll take it, but %&!@ that clue. Or maybe it'll poll at 75% and I'm just grumbling for nothing. We'll see.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Vowela wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:37 pm I'm not sure how we were meant to get lunatic fringe. "Fringe" was easy enough, but it's also not a phrase. I'm not sure how someone was meant to get the "lunatic" part without being an expert on nineteenth century hairstyles, aside from a lucky guess, since there are a lot of "fringe" phrases the second part of the clue could have been.

For what it's worth, I ultimately picked fringe element, too.
I never got further than the one word, but I guess the category does indeed preclude "fringe" alone. The second part does seem to require luck.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

31 R
FJ: :oops:
LT: Wampum, (Abraham Lincoln), Emma, Of Human Bondage, Wellington, Temple, Hadrian, Guanine, Pantheon, (Tagus)
Douglas Squasoni
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

For what it's worth, the Wikipedia article on "phrase" says that a phrase can be "sometimes a single word".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase#Co ... hnical_use

I would say that "the fringe" is a phrase that can refer to an extreme group on the edge of a cause. We frequently refer to an extremist politician, for example, as appealing to "the fringe".

(My answer was just "fringe".)

I think this was a bad clue and I'm really surprised that we were supposed to know to put the word "lunatic" in there, as opposed to saying "fringe element" or "radical fringe" or "on the fringe(s)" or other natural-sounding expressions that contain the word "fringe".

Why couldn't the writers have tinkered with this one a little more? Something like

"This expression for a radical or extreme group combines an astronomical adjective with a British word for bangs"
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:21 pm No, not Auckland. No, not Christchurch. Shawn! Come on now, dude.

Splinter group was my response for the FJ! clue.
+1 for splinter group and yelling at the TV when Shawn didn't get Wellington (which wasn't the only time I yelled at the TV tonight).

For what it's worth, "fringe" came to mind immediately, but I couldn't recall a phrase for it, so I said splinter group as a last second guess.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

took me five seconds, tops, to get FJ! :mrgreen:
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Had the contestants been on a Vision Quest they could have come up with Lunatic Fringe. 8-)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

IMHO, Matt is $15K ahead because of poor wagering strategy. His bet yesterday may have been more prudent than I first thought, but I just don't get 3rd place giving away the Triple Stumper win by betting a nickel unless it is a wheelhouse category. If somebody stopped me at the mall and said -"I've got a question that two smart people can't answer; you wanna bet even money on it sight unseen?" I wouldn't take that bet, even with the house money portion of my stash, much less put the victory out of reach on a miss.

For some reason, fringe came right to mind, and lunatic fringe was the only identifier that met the clue. I fretted some about whether it was just one word "fringe", and decided the phrase requirement required at least two. I wasn't confident until the end of the music, when it just seemed like the kind of cute clue the writers like. I agree it was a tough TOM, but "fringe element" doesn't resonate with the extremism requirement. When the reveal came, I knew this would poll low.

It was an OK game, but it's always a little downer when players go into the break underwater. I didn't get that last category in SJ at all, some 4(?) syllable term I've never heard of. Somehow related to books?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.