TPH on WoF 12/8/17 discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TPH on WoF 12/8/17 discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

Congratulations on a great game! You were showing some serious skills there right from the beginning.

Back when I was dating my wife and spending lots of time at her house, I learned pretty quickly that WoF was almost a sacred 1/2 hour for her mother. Everyone was expected to gather round the TV and watch. I started watching again a few years ago to help my son with his reading skills.

I have to ask a couple of questions. Do you get any practice spins with the wheel? Can you adjust the effort you put into the wheel to try to get or avoid any spots?

Also, watch that elbow on the bonus wheel! You almost gave Pat a good knock! I'm kind of surprised he doesn't give lefties a bit of a wide berth.

PS - Shop around to get your own pricing for that trip. If you can prove the various pieces are available at a lower price on about the day you finalized the details of the travel, you can usually convince the IRS your prize is worth less than the production company says it is. Ditto for the car, although the difference there is not likely to be material. Obviously, keep good documentation of your alternate value. And see a tax pro for some more customized advice.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 am I have to ask a couple of questions. Do you get any practice spins with the wheel? Can you adjust the effort you put into the wheel to try to get or avoid any spots?
They do let you practice spins, and in fact, you play an entire practice game. However, they stop the wheel manually when you do it, so you can't get a feel for how big your spins are.

I did have a feeling for how big my spins are, which is why I solved Round 1 when I did. I knew there was a chance that the next spin would possibly be Bankrupt.

OH MAN MY VOICE IS ANNOYING
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

From what I gather here on the board, TPH rocks! I will try to watch Opus' video in the morning - I just couldn't wait until I got home next week to find out how the game went. And, without reading this board for context, I wouldn't recognize awesome play.

Great job - so I hear! Congratulations vicariously!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

What an absolute legend. That was so fun to watch - CONGRATS!
Golf

Post by Golf »

Leander wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:51 pm I think it depends on how badly one wants to go to Hawaii, since you are getting a trip for the amount of the tax. If you have no interest in going, sure, turn it down and save the tax. Just like you could turn down the car.
A vehicle is an easy asset to sell. Sign the paperwork, take possession of the vehicle, then offer to sell it back. The dealership will make a small profit, you will get cash, and then on your taxes you can claim the value of the car as your selling price.

The trip is a different matter, not near as liquid.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:54 am
Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 am I have to ask a couple of questions. Do you get any practice spins with the wheel? Can you adjust the effort you put into the wheel to try to get or avoid any spots?
They do let you practice spins, and in fact, you play an entire practice game. However, they stop the wheel manually when you do it, so you can't get a feel for how big your spins are.

I did have a feeling for how big my spins are, which is why I solved Round 1 when I did. I knew there was a chance that the next spin would possibly be Bankrupt.

OH MAN MY VOICE IS ANNOYING
That was smart thinking. I was wondering why you didn't take one more spin, since you knew it would be valuable. But you were one more step aware of the situation.

I've done radio. The first time you hear your own voice... I guarantee you almost everyone feels that way. You were fine.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Great job, and congratulations! That was fun to watch. :D
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Never mind.
Last edited by dinghammer on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congratulations Bobby! Great skill and tactics - that was awesome. Don't let the tax discussions here phase you - trips and cars are nice things to have!

I loved the "Oahu? Yahoo!!" cheer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats, Mrs. Wolowitz Bobby. While math may not be your forte, I'm glad you found yours and that you were compensated so well for it. I know the experience and the money are both very meaningful to you, so may you treasure both.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

That was a great win, Bobby. Faster in solving those puzzles than I would have been. I'm very happy for you! :D
Last edited by Peachbox on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:19 am
Leander wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:51 pm I think it depends on how badly one wants to go to Hawaii, since you are getting a trip for the amount of the tax. If you have no interest in going, sure, turn it down and save the tax. Just like you could turn down the car.
A vehicle is an easy asset to sell. Sign the paperwork, take possession of the vehicle, then offer to sell it back. The dealership will make a small profit, you will get cash, and then on your taxes you can claim the value of the car as your selling price.

The trip is a different matter, not near as liquid.
I don’t think the trips are transferrable. You either use them or lose them.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

I haven't been able to watch as much Wheel the past few years, and it kind of threw me a bit to see someone spin lefty.

Great job, Bobby!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:13 pm My wife got "It's A Wonderful Life" with no letters. She does that about once every couple weeks and it's annoying. :D
I did that too but I'm probably not as annoying as your wife. :D
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

My only question on the trip to Hawaii is whether Bobby invited his two lovely competitors to join him. :lol:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:54 am They do let you practice spins, and in fact, you play an entire practice game. However, they stop the wheel manually when you do it, so you can't get a feel for how big your spins are.
I had always suspected this was the case, but great job for recognizing your spin pattern and being able to jump in with the solution when you knew you had to. Amazing!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:54 am OH MAN MY VOICE IS ANNOYING
Don't sweat it; nobody sounds like they think they do on playback. It's probably jarring only to you because you don't recognize it as "your voice". I felt the same way watching my J! episode.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I wanted to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations. I actually got the first toss-up slightly before Bobby did, and "It's a Wonderful Life" with no letters, but Bobby ate my lunch on the other puzzles and exhibited more strategic thinking than I had realized was there.

FWIW, I didn't think your voice was annoying at all, and I really liked "Oahu? Wahoo!"
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Terrific job, Bobby! Congratulations!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

BOBBY!! WE R SO PROUD OF OUR TPH!!! VGJ, MOST EXCELLENT DUDE!! You done good, real good! :mrgreen:

BTW WLT Egyptian Pharoahs?! I gave ERUPTION PHYRIAHS but Doh! 'R' was already posted, sheesh! :oops:

Nice ride, pay the taxes from your winnings and just drive it! You can always get moar money, eh?! Grats!! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It's a rare and special thing to live a dream; it's even rarer and more special to be able to do it with such mad skillz. Congrats, Bobby!

I hope to hear about Hawaii and anything else that you will do from here.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I enjoyed the hand map as well. :)