Monday, December 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7651, 2017-12-11

CONTESTANTS
LaKedra Pam, a physician from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Charlie Santiuste, a relationship manager from Charlottesville, Virginia
Ben Raphel, a healthcare data analyst from Boston, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. If you're a returning champion on Jeopardy! and defending for the first time, you have to feel good if, in your last outing, you dominated the entire game and won over $25,000. And that's the case for Ben. So Charlie and LaKedra, you're going to have to work very hard. But good luck. Here we go. Let's see what happens in this first round as we deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOGS IN HATS (5/5)
THAT'S SOME SHAMELESS PANDERING (5/5)
WHERE & WHEN (4/5)
BEST SHORT FILM OSCARS (5/5)
RECENT KIDS' BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MERCURY, VENUS OR MARS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
LaKedra: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Ben: 10 R, 0 W
Charlie: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
LaKedra: $4,800
Ben: $1,400
Charlie: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: LaKedra Pam is from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. A physician who at a very, very early age started thinking about being a contestant on Jeopardy!

LaKedra: That's right. I always watched Jeopardy! with my father growing up. And when I was about five or six years old, I turned to him and asked, "Dad, how could I get to be on Jeopardy! one day?" And he told me to just try to learn three new things every day. And that's what I did. Here I am.

Alex: Good for you, and good for your dad. Good advice.

Alex: Charlie Santiuste from Charlottesville, Virginia. Nicknames?

Charlie: Charlie Shorts.

Alex: Charlie Shorts. Sounds like a Damon Runyon character. "Hi, I'm Charlie Shorts." How did you get that nickname?

Charlie: Yeah, so as long as I can remember, I always preferred to wear shorts instead of long pants.

Alex: Oh.

Charlie: So walking around campus in the winters of Virginia, I picked up the nickname because of my shorts and flip-flops.

Alex: And you're still healthy today.

Charlie: Sure.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Ben Raphel is our champion. He is from Boston, Massachusetts. You once won an award for performing an impression of who? Billy Joel?

Ben: Billy Joel. That's right.

Alex: Really?

Ben: This was a high school talent show. Everyone else had actual talent, but I got up there and sang my favorite Billy Joel song, "Movin' Out". My friend played piano. And instead of winning an actual prize, we won the Audience Appreciation award.

Alex: Ah. Miss Personality.

Ben: That's right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
LaKedra found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Ben had $5,200, Charlie had $3,800, and LaKedra was at $6,400. LaKedra wagered $2,400.

RECENT KIDS' BOOKS $1000: This 2-word title of Chelsea Clinton's book about determined women was coined by Sen. McConnell about Sen. Warren

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHERE & WHEN $600: The building of the white tower begins around 1078:
the city

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LaKedra: $9,800
Ben: $5,200
Charlie: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
20th CENTURY ART (5/5)
TV WATERING HOLES (4/5)
HOME SWEET HOME (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ACID (4/5)
PENINSULAS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"GREAT" STUFF (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
LaKedra: 11 R, 1 W
Charlie: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ben: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Charlie snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Ben had $5,200, Charlie had $7,000, and LaKedra was at $16,600. Charlie wagered $3,000.

HOME SWEET HOME $2000: Her last home was a 14-room boardinghouse in Arkansas known as Hatchet Hall
(Charlie: Who is Helen Keller?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ben who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Ben had $6,800, Charlie had $4,000, and LaKedra was at $16,600. Ben wagered $4,000.

PENINSULAS $1200: This large Siberian peninsula is home to more than 125 volcanoes as well as numerous geysers & hot springs
(Ben: What is the Kamatchka Peninsula?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACID $800: Not carbonic acid but this is the simplest of the phenol family of disinfectants

TV WATERING HOLES $2000: As this "Next Generation" alien bartender, Whoopi Goldberg worked in the Ten-Forward Lounge
(Ben: Who is Data?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
LaKedra: $23,000
Charlie: $12,400
Ben: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT SYMBOLS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
LaKedra: Wager $1,801 to cover Charlie, but no more than $17,399 so as not to fall behind Ben's doubled score.
Charlie: You have the hope of surpassing LaKedra if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,601 to force LaKedra to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $6,799 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Ben.
Ben: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Taiji, the Great Ultimate, is the source of this pair that's represented by the colors orange & azure respectively

FINAL SCORES
Ben: $2,800 - $2,800 = $0 (What are Mars & Earth?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Charlie: $12,400 + $8,808 = $21,208 (What are yin & yang?) (2nd place: $2,000)
LaKedra: $23,000 + $1,801 = $24,801 (What are are yin yang?) (New champion: $24,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
LaKedra: $21,600, 23 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Charlie: $15,400, 17 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ben: $6,800, 15 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $43,800

BATTING AVERAGES
LaKedra: 24/59 = .407
Charlie: 18/59 = .305
Ben: 15/59 = .254
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DOGS IN HATS $200: Here's this breed looking characteristically continental

DOGS IN HATS $400: A county of northern England lends its name to this breed

DOGS IN HATS $600: Like the Lhasa Apso, this lion dog with a 2-word name is originally from Tibet

DOGS IN HATS $800: The working dog seen here was first bred to herd cattle in this U.K. country
(Alex: That's a Welsh corgi.)

DOGS IN HATS $1000: With a nose second only to the bloodhound's in keenness, this breed was developed as a hunter, I reckon

RECENT KIDS' BOOKS $800: In Anna Dewdney's last book about the quadruped with this double name, he visits his gram and grandpa

20th CENTURY ART $1200: Here's "Red Hills with White Shell", a 1938 painting by her

20th CENTURY ART $2000: The 2015 movie "Woman in Gold" is about a legal fight over portraits, including the one seen here, by this Austrian

HOME SWEET HOME $1200: From about 1776 to 1779, she lived in the Philadelphia house seen here

TV WATERING HOLES $400: Hurray for some guy named Alex who once visited this Boston bar
(Alex: It was fun.)

PENINSULAS $1600: The peninsula on the much larger Arabian Peninsula, it's been fully independent since 1971

"GREAT" STUFF $400: Carcharodon carcharias is the scientific name of this creature

TV WATERING HOLES $1600: Miss Kitty poured suds at the Long Branch Saloon on this long-running western
(LaKedra: What is Bonanza?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
She Persisted

London
Carrie Nation
the Kamchatka Peninsula
carbolic acid
Guinan
yin and yang
a poodle
a Yorkshire Terrier
the Shih Tzu
Wales
a basset hound
Llama Llama
(Georgia) O'Keeffe
(Gustav) Klimt
Betsy Ross
Cheers
Qatar
the great white shark
Gunsmoke
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT SYMBOLS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Taiji, the Great Ultimate, is the source of this pair that’s represented by the colors orange & azure respectively

Ben Raphel: 2800-2800=0
Charlie Santiuste: 12400+8808=21208
LaKedra Pam: 23000+1801=24801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
yin & yang (Ben – Mars & Earth)

Daily Doubles
LaKedra: 6400+2400
Charlie: 7000-3000
Ben: 6800-4000

Coryats
Ben: 6800
Charlie: 15400
LaKedra: 21600

Combined: 43,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Ben: 5200
Charlie: 3800
LaKedra: 9800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RECENT KIDS’ BOOKS $200: In the fantasy world of “Red Queen”, a young peasant woman discovers she has the power to wield this, like Zeus

Lightning was the correct response. Any judges have a problem with thunderbolt?

Ben: Ouch on your miss on DD2 not quite getting there with the pronunciation. If you have any funny people in your family watch out for a gift of the board game Risk this month.

The Edwar Bulwer-Lytton clue for the masses reminded me of this WWE wrestler:
Spoiler
With the scoreboard 4800-6000-24600 I get Ben trying anything close (same show at least) such as Data for the Whoopi Goldberg character in TNG. LaKedra on the other hand should not have been guessing the Miss Kitty saloon show since Charlie used that rebound as part of his end game to prevent the runaway.

The FJ! clue’s wording did almost as much to hinder me as it did to help me. Taiji had me thinking Japanese. Orange & azure had me thinking I needed to keep thinking since I only could picture the symbol as black & white. Fortunately for me I used “pair” coupled with the category ANCIENT SYMBOLS to solve the clue immediately though with many doubts along the way.

At least this week is off to a better start for things known (whether a hit or a miss on the clue) compared to last week with an amazing 42 votes for one of the FJ! clue responses being something unknown.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

LaKedra was so commanding, and Charlie's 11th hour surge was so exciting, but they both seemed so remarkably "chill"--as though they were demonstrating the principles of today's FJ! Very cool. And, Ben, if Soyuz=Suez, then Kamatchka (should) = Kamchatka.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I had not realized before how loud the signaling devices were :).
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I've seen a lot of frustrated contestants over the years, trying to ring in but always getting beaten to the buzzer, but this might be the first time I've heard someone ring in that loudly. Yikes. Hope they had a spare signaling device handy.

If I had an ounce of artistic talent I'd photoshop a picture of Whoopi as Data. I know not everyone watched TNG but that WAG was extra desperate.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm Ben: Ouch on your miss on DD2 not quite getting there with the pronunciation. If you have any funny people in your family watch out for a gift of the board game Risk this month.
I was mumbling "play more Risk" under my breath the entire time.

Instaget FJ, I've never seen the yin/yang symbol in anything other than black and white (orange and azure!?!?) but WECIB?
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I can't believe that AT thought there was even an inkling of a chance that the judges might not accept "yin yang" instead of "yin and yang."
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Here I thought the FJ was teen level.
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm I've seen a lot of frustrated contestants over the years, trying to ring in but always getting beaten to the buzzer, but this might be the first time I've heard someone ring in that loudly. Yikes. Hope they had a spare signaling device handy.

If I had an ounce of artistic talent I'd photoshop a picture of Whoopi as Data. I know not everyone watched TNG but that WAG was extra desperate.

I was mumbling "play more Risk" under my breath the entire time.

Instaget FJ, I've never seen the yin/yang symbol in anything other than black and white (orange and azure!?!?) but WECIB?
seconded on playing Risk for Kamchatka. And playing Civ V would've helped on FJ.
check this out red and blue yin-yang
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I will say this for Ben: you know when he knows the answer at the very least.

The colors threw me off, but with the Asian name, the category ANCIENT SYMBOLS, and pair, this was really a WECIB.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm Lightning was the correct response. Any judges have a problem with thunderbolt?
Perfectly acceptable. If anything, that's a better response than lightning. Full credit.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm Instaget FJ, I've never seen the yin/yang symbol in anything other than black and white (orange and azure!?!?) but WECIB?
Day and night. Sun and moon. Land and sea. Mars and Earth. I talked myself out of yin and yang which, obviously, I considered. I felt as though the color scheme had to lead somewhere else.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Did anyone correctly guess FJ based only on the category?

I didn't (my precall was "Ankh") but it seemed like one of those categories where a precall is possible.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

squarekara wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm LaKedra was so commanding, and Charlie's 11th hour surge was so exciting, but they both seemed so remarkably "chill"--as though they were demonstrating the principles of today's FJ! Very cool. And, Ben, if Soyuz=Suez, then Kamatchka (should) = Kamchatka.
LaKedra was a freshman on my college quizbowl team when I was a first-year grad student or a senior or so. She was at that point still more mature and even-tempered than I have been at any point before or since.

I'm not surprised at all that she was super strong. That Very Canonical Art category was just mop work, and her guesses were also spot on.

Way to go!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm I've seen a lot of frustrated contestants over the years, trying to ring in but always getting beaten to the buzzer, but this might be the first time I've heard someone ring in that loudly. Yikes. Hope they had a spare signaling device handy.
The devices are fairly durable. No need to worry about that.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Lampy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm LaKedra was so commanding, and Charlie's 11th hour surge was so exciting, but they both seemed so remarkably "chill"--as though they were demonstrating the principles of today's FJ! Very cool. And, Ben, if Soyuz=Suez, then Kamatchka (should) = Kamchatka.
LaKedra was a freshman on my college quizbowl team when I was a first-year grad student or a senior or so. She was at that point still more mature and even-tempered than I have been at any point before or since.

I'm not surprised at all that she was super strong. That Very Canonical Art category was just mop work, and her guesses were also spot on.

Way to go!
I need to know what she eats for breakfast (besides opponents).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

37 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: London, (Carrie Nation), (Kamchatka)
Douglas Squasoni
clprez

Post by clprez »

skullturf wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 pm Did anyone correctly guess FJ based only on the category?

I didn't (my precall was "Ankh") but it seemed like one of those categories where a precall is possible.
I got it by the category and "pair"
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Another "category + pair = WECIB" here. I think of them as being white and black, but I didn't have anything else coming to me.

It was fun watching that turn into not-a-runaway, but that was definitely LaKedra's game - she was killing it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My mom ran the Dog category.

I saw no way to pick Northern Ireland in Best Short Film at $200. What wsa the TOM there? That whole category was miles over my head.

Also saw no way to pick Venus Williams at $200.

Peninsulas for $400 was MASSIVE negbait for Michigan. Any reason I should know Florida is bigger?

FJ! was utterly meaningless to me. I saw no place to even take the key words here.

I have never seen a yin and yang that's blue and orange. All the ones I've ever seen are black and white.