Friday, December 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, December 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vowela »

DBear wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pmIs it? After it was revealed that Sgt. Pepper's would not suffice, are we sure they would take LDS or the Mormons? I'm not.
"Mormons," by itself, absolutely fits this clue, though. I can't see a case for them not to accept that answer.

Probably the acronym too, though I'll admit I'm not as positive about that. Is LDS well-understood enough to mean that church?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I saw the show last New Year's Eve so it's been on my mind. It is brilliant, no matter what your view on religion.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:40 pm Predicted the Erewhon stand and stare. This makes 7 times that book has triple-stumped, including one time where the category was "ERE"Y WORDS. It's been gotten 5 times, including one time where the category was ANAGRAMS, one time where the category was "E"-BOOKS, and one time by Ken Jennings. It's also been offered as a wrong response once when they were looking for a work by Thomas More.
I'm betting that was a gimme for anyone in LL. :)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:40 pm I don't mind too much when Alex announces that the game is or isn't a runaway. But drawing attention to Travis' unhappiness with the category seems unfair. That's up to his opponents to notice or miss. I wonder if it affected Henry's wager. If so, I don't think he made the most of his insider info. He should've planned for the possibility that Travis, hating the category, would also wager $0. Henry should've wagered $3601. That takes him ahead of Travis on a get if Travis wagered $0. But it keeps him well ahead of Gwynedd's doubled score. And it gives him as much as possible on a miss in case Travis wagered less than the shutout.
Yeah, I wasn't fond of Alex pointing that out either. But I also dislike when Alex points out a runaway or not. In theory, he should say nothing at all about the game. But Alex is Alex and will mention all sorts of things that could help unaware players.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:09 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:02 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 pm Seriously, J! writers, WTF is wrong with you? :x First, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and now this?
As others in the thread have suggested, it's entirely Gwynedd's fault for going with the long response.
Is it? After it was revealed that Sgt. Pepper's would not suffice, are we sure they would take LDS or the Mormons? I'm not.

Nobody wrote Sgt. Pepper's in that game, so as far as I know we can't say it wasn't acceptable.
In any case, a title is different from a universally accepted name (or abbreviation) for a religious movement.
And Gwynedd wrote enough, anyway. She wrote wrong.
Wilbur claimed on Twitter that he was told by the judges that Sgt. Pepper's wouldn't have been accepted.
Thanks, I should have checked the thread not just the archive.
davey

Post by davey »

Vowela wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pmIs it? After it was revealed that Sgt. Pepper's would not suffice, are we sure they would take LDS or the Mormons? I'm not.
"Mormons," by itself, absolutely fits this clue, though. I can't see a case for them not to accept that answer.

Probably the acronym too, though I'll admit I'm not as positive about that. Is LDS well-understood enough to mean that church?
The Church's web address is lds.org, and LDS has about 59,000,000 Google hits, so I'd say so...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wrote down "What is the LDS Church?" and then crossed out LDS and wrote in Mormon.

I didn't like Alex saying Travis didn't like the category. But we didn't see what happened, so maybe his reaction was so over the top that Henry noticed it and Alex noticed him noticing it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

35 R
DD: 1/3 (Chernobyl)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Corresponding Angles, Pompidou Centre, Knee Breaches, Panem, Olympia
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got pre-empted by unannounced football. Thank goodness for the Reddit guy. Doesn't help my mood... I think I'm finally coming down from my high of being on TV.

I had math down as an 0/5 as soon as it came up. I saw no way to shortcut 3x=5+y if X is 4.

I interpreted "folded around a piece of paper" way too literally and was thinking something that was flat around a paper.

Stan Lee for $200: "Well, it can't be Iron Man since that's in the clue. What else could it be then? I dunno."

Yes, I got the sea otter clue. Ran the category in fact.

I thought "knee breeches" was very tough for $400. Poll request?

AMPAS = Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was even tougher yet at $400. Especially with "the R in RIAA" and "no animals were harmed" in the bottom boxes.

Pneumatic also seemed like the easiest by far in Silent Letter.

Lach Trash: Panem.

No guess on FJ!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Because we were talking or something, we must've missed Alex's comment about Travis not liking the Broadway category. But since the guy had just answered the Gypsy Rose Lee question, we thought he'd be likely to get it. Strangely enough, I was describing the "Turn it Off" number from BoM to someone just this morning. And I have maggots in my blah blah.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote: I thought "knee breeches" was very tough for $400. Poll request?
I don't think I've ever heard that term, unless it's an outdated pronounciation of 'britches'.

TPH wrote:Pneumatic also seemed like the easiest by far in Silent Letter.
Yeah, I also thought it was way overvalued.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Yesterday I knew Travis reminded me of someone, but I just couldn't place it. Today it hit me that he has many of the mannerisms of the Hank Kimball character from Green Acres.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

What I wrote down at home in my little notebook was "Mormon church or L.D.S. church", and I'm counting it as correct.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:01 pm
TPH wrote: I thought "knee breeches" was very tough for $400. Poll request?
I don't think I've ever heard that term, unless it's an outdated pronounciation of 'britches'.
They are the same thing, but "breeches" is the standard spelling and pronunciation.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I would have answered "Who are the Mormons" and I'll count it as correct. A few months ago somebody answered "Moonies" instead of Unification Church and that was marked wrong because the unofficial slang term was counted as offensive. From the Wikipedia article about the word Mormon, "The term "Mormon" was initially a derogatory term applied to...but soon was embraced...some denominations...have renounced the term."

If you were taping this soon after the game where the derogatory term was marked wrong it might be on your mind to go for the full name instead of the much shorter name. Considering the name of the play in question and official groups like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir the shorter name should be fine for use on Jeopardy!

I said congruent angles instead of corresponding angles. I said Gypsy instead of the full name Gypsy Rose Lee. Would this count as correct?

The 1959 musical Gypsy and the Samuel Butler novel Erewhon both showed up on Learned League recently but I couldn't pull Erewhon. It sure seemed familiar though so maybe it will stick this time.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

If I was Travis I might not be able to sleep for 6 months after that game. Not because of his FJ wager, which is at least debatable. (Only he knows how bad of a category Broadway plays are for him, and ergo whether he should have covered or bet $3,599) Rather, he gifted Henry the game through his DD wagering. He left $1600 on the table with the first one, the second one was a classic case of going either min-bet or heavy based on confidence in the category, and the third DD should have been a big bet, since it's a $1200 clue in a general knowledge category.

In principle, any time someone has the highest Coryat, finds all 3 DDs, gets 2 or more correct and isn't at least in a crush situation then something has gone horribly wrong.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Intermediate Form of Shore’s Conjecture. The second-place player bet “small.” —Bob
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:21 am I would have answered "Who are the Mormons" and I'll count it as correct. A few months ago somebody answered "Moonies" instead of Unification Church and that was marked wrong because the unofficial slang term was counted as offensive. From the Wikipedia article about the word Mormon, "The term "Mormon" was initially a derogatory term applied to...but soon was embraced...some denominations...have renounced the term."

If you were taping this soon after the game where the derogatory term was marked wrong it might be on your mind to go for the full name instead of the much shorter name. Considering the name of the play in question and official groups like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir the shorter name should be fine for use on Jeopardy!

I said congruent angles instead of corresponding angles. I said Gypsy instead of the full name Gypsy Rose Lee. Would this count as correct?

The 1959 musical Gypsy and the Samuel Butler novel Erewhon both showed up on Learned League recently but I couldn't pull Erewhon. It sure seemed familiar though so maybe it will stick this time.
Regarding "Mormons": no worries there. The predominant LDS denomination, if you want to call it that, has embraced that nickname as a marketing term for decades.

Interestingly, I nailed both Gypsy and Erewhon when they came up in LL but couldn't pull out either one fast enough watching Friday's game.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I wondered if they'd accept "the Mormons" only because there's more than one denomination in the Latter-day Saint movement, but only TCoJCoLDS used that ad campaign. Obviously in common usage when people say Mormons or LDS Church, that's the one they're referring to. According to this style guide, "Mormon" should not be used to refer to any other LDS churches, and the AP Stylebook goes along with this, although I'm not sure who got to make that decision. (Don't those other churches also follow the Book of Mormon?)

As far as getting the full name correct, it's easy if you have the song Two By Two stuck in your head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T_NYZesRdY&t=4m9s
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:09 pm Wilbur claimed on Twitter that he was told by the judges that Sgt. Pepper's wouldn't have been accepted.
He clarified this position on #JeopardyLivePanel to mean that he interpreted the morning briefing to mean that the response had to be fully spelled out, not that the specific "Sgt. Pepper's" wouldn't have been accepted.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan