2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

Another year, another list.

2017 can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951
2016, for reference more than anything: http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3355

So far nothing has happened. 8-)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

Hota Kolb has officially taken over Matt Lauer's old timeslot and will lead off the Today show. (Her later hour with Kathie Lee Gifford remains unchanged.)

Gretchen Carlson has been named chairwoman of the Miss America Pagent board and three other former winners have been added to the board as well: Laura Kaeppeler Fleiss (2012), Heather French Henry (2000), and Kate Shindle (1998).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

This one's showing up, I can feel it.

https://jalopnik.com/join-america-in-la ... 1821708958
As of 01 Jan, 2018, Oregon residents will be allowed to pump their own gas.

(I helped someone from Oregon pump their rental once. Also New Jersey once, now that I think about it; they were moving to a new state and wanted to get ahead of the curve.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 am Hota Kolb has officially taken over Matt Lauer's old timeslot and will lead off the Today show. (Her later hour with Kathie Lee Gifford remains unchanged.)
*Hoda Kotb
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/03/weather/b ... index.html

A "bomb cyclone" hit the east coast, causing, among other things, snow in Florida.
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mfc248 »

Related somewhat to Friday's Final: Thomas S. Monson, the president of the LDS Church, passed on Tuesday at age 90 of natural causes.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new- ... SKBN1ET235
The Met(ropolitan Museum of Art) in NY will charge admission for out of state visitors starting March 1; the adult rate is $25 for 3 days.

New Yorkers and select others still get in on a non-zero pay what they wish basis
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new- ... SKBN1ET235
The Met(ropolitan Museum of Art) in NY will charge admission for out of state visitors starting March 1; the adult rate is $25 for 3 days.

New Yorkers and select others still get in on a non-zero pay what they wish basis
is someone not allowed in if they don't have an ID? wonder how many people will fake a NY accent...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Apparently the policy will be that they will believe you if you say you are from New York and forgot your ID, so you can still get in. I live in New York and was gifted a Met Membership so I won't need to use that trick, but seems like you can still skirt the rules if you are hard up for cash.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Mass protests against the Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini, and the mullahs, with the symbol of the revolution so far being a woman who ripped off her hijab. (Compulsory hijabs were instituted in Iran in 1979 after the coup and rarely worn before then) Hundreds have been arrested thus far and at least 20 protesters have been killed.

Strange that no one has posted this rather significant news item...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 am Mass protests against the Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini, and the mullahs, with the symbol of the revolution so far being a woman who ripped off her hijab. (Compulsory hijabs were instituted in Iran in 1979 after the coup and rarely worn before then) Hundreds have been arrested thus far and at least 20 protesters have been killed.

Somebody did post it.

Justin TImberlake, who is scheduled to perform at halftime of Super Bowl LII the Big Game in Minneapolis, dropped his new single "Filthy" today. It's from his upcoming album Man of the Woods, which drops Feb. 2, the week before the Super Bowl Big Game.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 am
IronNeck wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 am Mass protests against the Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini, and the mullahs, with the symbol of the revolution so far being a woman who ripped off her hijab. (Compulsory hijabs were instituted in Iran in 1979 after the coup and rarely worn before then) Hundreds have been arrested thus far and at least 20 protesters have been killed.

Somebody did post it.
Where? I looked all through this topic and the last two pages of the 2017 thread.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:53 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 am

Somebody did post it.
Where? I looked all through this topic and the last two pages of the 2017 thread.
You posted it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 am Hota Kolb has officially taken over Matt Lauer's old timeslot and will lead off the Today show. (Her later hour with Kathie Lee Gifford remains unchanged.
She made a rather interesting discussion when she co-hosted a category a few years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1564&p=84138&hilit=Hoda#p84138
Volante

Post by Volante »

John Young, 9th moon walker (Apollo 16), also of Gemini 3 and 10, Apollo 10, and STS-1 (premiere manned shuttle launch!) and STS-9, has died.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... SKBN1EV0MV

Less than 50% of moon walkers are still alive.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, won the most Golden Globe awards (4). However, Oprah Winfrey's speech accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award was the highlight of Sunday evening's ceremony.

Link to the winners: http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/07/entertain ... index.html

RIP Actor Jerry Van Dyke, age 86. He is best known for playing Assistant Coach Luther Van Dam (four Emmy nominations). He also starred in My Mother, The Car, considered one of the worst shows in TV history. He's the younger brother Of Dick Van Dyke and played Dick's brother in The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Blue Lion wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 pm He also starred in My Mother, The Car, considered one of the worst shows in TV history.
Wikipedia (do you have your grain of salt handy?) claims he turned down the opportunity to play Gilligan, and turned down the opportunity to succeed Don Knotts on The Andy Griffith Show in order to do My Mother The Car. Talk about poor career choices.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alabama beats Georgia 26-23 to win the college football national championship. Their fifth in nine years and Nick Saban’s sixth in his career.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 am Alabama beats Georgia 26-23 to win the college football national championship. Their fifth in nine years and Nick Saban’s sixth in his career.
Congrats. I would need a new TV if I was a Georgia fan. Teams from that state in the 4th quarter of championship games. :o

Of course I should be careful what I post with the Falcons still alive in the NFC playoffs this season. I don't need any reminders of 1999.
Volante

Post by Volante »

The Donald Sterling clue reminded me of this and apparently I didn't mention it last year, so why not now?

Jerry Richardson will be selling the Carolina Panthers after multiple accusations of sexual and racial harassment
https://deadspin.com/report-panthers-ow ... 1821368200

Despite all that (and this... https://deadspin.com/jerry-richardson-r ... 1783911588 ), he's still only the 2nd worst NFL owner named Jerry.