The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 pm See. This is what I mean. To learn one thing, I have to learn like 87 other things first, and it just bogs me down so hard.
At least you can break the task of 87 things into thirds since 87 is divisible by three. Remember the rule about the sum of the digits? Since 8+7 is divisible by 3 then so is 87.

I just had to point that out since I have a habit of looking at the numbers people choose for an exaggerated big number. They usually go for a prime looking ugly thing.

Morale of the story is just keep being curious.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 pm See. This is what I mean. To learn one thing, I have to learn like 87 other things first, and it just bogs me down so hard.
At least you can break the task of 87 things into thirds since 87 is divisible by three. Remember the rule about the sum of the digits? Since 8+7 is divisible by 3 then so is 87.

I just had to point that out since I have a habit of looking at the numbers people choose for an exaggerated big number. They usually go for a prime looking ugly thing.

I can't even figure out subtraction, how the hell am I ever gonna learn division?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:32 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 pm And what does the latter half have to do with flags of convenience?
The Marshall Islands is a country with a flag of convenience.

Not sure if you can make out my avatar, below "DISCO VOLANTE" it says "PANAMA" but the movie Thunderball took place, essentially, entirely in The Bahamas. Therefore, the Disco Volante should have been registered in The Bahamas and fly their flag because that's where it's most used, but instead it's registered in Panama. Thus you can conclude fees and regs are cheaper in Panama than The Bahamas, so in this instance, Panama is a flag of convenience.
Wait. Since when do ships fly flags?
Have you ever heard of the Jolly Roger? If so, what did you think it was?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

But here's the thing. You CAN learn them. On your own. Without needing to ask us about it.

Ever go down a wikihole? You should one of these days.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am Have you ever heard of the Jolly Roger? If so, what did you think it was?
I meant as in the flag of a country, which the jolly roger clearly isn't.
1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 am Ever go down a wikihole? You should one of these days.
I have, but the first time I hit something I don't know, I instantly sink to the bottom.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 am

I can't even figure out subtraction, how the hell am I ever gonna learn division?
tldr - i also find subtraction to be the hardest of the four arithmetic operations. Just like I can't remember a 7 digit or 10 digit phone number long enough to dial it after reading.

I probably should have more respect for 3rd grade. I don't know if I was taught the equivalent of multiplication tables or not. But it is no problem to apply them. There were simple division flashcards, but I think every brain does most of the work with the multiplication tables. The composite numbers just look like the factors that make them up.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am Have you ever heard of the Jolly Roger? If so, what did you think it was?
I meant as in the flag of a country, which the jolly roger clearly isn't.
No, the Jolly Roger (or any of the other black sails) isn't a country flag, but it's still represents the same general idea.

Ships fly flags to show who or what owns them. That's why movies that feature turn of the 19th century naval combat always make shows of people looking through spyglasses at the flown flag: are they friend or foe?

These days, that flag is the country of registration for merchant/private ships or just the country period for ships of state (e.g., Navy)

(And, obviously, I'm painting with a broad brush here...the weeds be deep.)
Last edited by Volante on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How can I not get so easily overwhelmed? To learn one thing, I have to learn a ton of other things building up to it, and a bunch of smaller things building up to those, and a bunch of smaller things building up to that, etc.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 am How can I not get so easily overwhelmed? To learn one thing, I have to learn a ton of other things building up to it, and a bunch of smaller things building up to those, and a bunch of smaller things building up to that, etc.
You don't really have to. You want to, which is good!, but you don't have to learn everything about something at once.

It's like building a brick wall. You try to put it all together in one day, you'll burn out doing it right or cut corners and do it wrong. Just lay the bricks you're comfortable with, and if it's just one or two? That's perfectly fine, there's no deadline you have to meet.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:46 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 am How can I not get so easily overwhelmed? To learn one thing, I have to learn a ton of other things building up to it, and a bunch of smaller things building up to those, and a bunch of smaller things building up to that, etc.
You don't really have to. You want to, which is good!, but you don't have to learn everything about something at once.

It's like building a brick wall. You try to put it all together in one day, you'll burn out doing it right or cut corners and do it wrong. Just lay the bricks you're comfortable with, and if it's just one or two? That's perfectly fine.
The problem I'm finding is that I have to break the single brick into a zillion tiny pieces first.And so it takes me months just to finish even one brick.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:32 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 pm And what does the latter half have to do with flags of convenience?
The Marshall Islands is a country with a flag of convenience.

Not sure if you can make out my avatar, below "DISCO VOLANTE" it says "PANAMA" but the movie Thunderball took place, essentially, entirely in The Bahamas. Therefore, the Disco Volante should have been registered in The Bahamas and fly their flag because that's where it's most used, but instead it's registered in Panama. Thus you can conclude fees and regs are cheaper in Panama than The Bahamas, so in this instance, Panama is a flag of convenience.
Wait. Since when do ships fly flags?

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:56 am
Volante wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:46 am

It's like building a brick wall. You try to put it all together in one day, you'll burn out doing it right or cut corners and do it wrong. Just lay the bricks you're comfortable with, and if it's just one or two? That's perfectly fine.
The problem I'm finding is that I have to break the single brick into a zillion tiny pieces first.And so it takes me months just to finish even one brick.
Okay, fine.

What specifically about the clue do you need to ask here about, rather than typing into Google for months?

I think you were just upset your attention wh*reing topic was on the second page so you picked a random clue to whine about in order to bump it.

You clearly have no interset in actually learning anything, otherwise your brick-building analogy would fill you with excitement rather than dread.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I just didn't get how the two halves of the the clue connected and the explanation only sent me further off course because I was unaware that ships fly flags of countries. And I didn't see what either half had to do with the Marshall Islands, since I don't know where those are.

This is exactly what I mean about having to break the brick into smaller pieces.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 am Ever go down a wikihole? You should one of these days.
I have, but the first time I hit something I don't know, I instantly sink to the bottom.
But that's the point. You don't know it. So go and learn something new. You're not going to learn all of it, not all at once but at least once a day (probably more than that), you should be able to say "oh, I didn't know that, cool."
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:07 am I just didn't get how the two halves of the the clue connected and the explanation only sent me further off course because I was unaware that ships fly flags of countries. And I didn't see what either half had to do with the Marshall Islands, since I don't know where those are.

This is exactly what I mean about having to break the brick into smaller pieces.
The skill you should probably be working on is first identifying what the question is actually asking for, THEN look for the other stuff.

In this case, it wouldn't have helped you (not all questions will), but it's a general strategy you should employ more.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:48 pm
But that's the point. You don't know it. So go and learn something new. You're not going to learn all of it, not all at once but at least once a day (probably more than that), you should be able to say "oh, I didn't know that, cool."
Then how do I stop from drowning? I have to learn a LOT of smaller things to build up to something that everyone else takes for granted, and the information overload just weighs me down so much that I crack.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A lot of clues take the form blah blah blah the Marshall Islands are in this ocean blah blah blah.

If you haven’t noticed this by now and learned to weed through the blahs, I don’t know what to say.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm A lot of clues take the form blah blah blah the Marshall Islands are in this ocean blah blah blah.

If you haven’t noticed this by now and learned to weed through the blahs, I don’t know what to say.
Every time I DO weed through the "blah blah blah"s, I end up doing it in one of those "pay attention to EVERY WORD" clues. It's like I'm always doing the opposite of what I'm supposed to do. Is this because I'm let handed?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:44 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:48 pm
Then how do I stop from drowning? I have to learn a LOT of smaller things to build up to something that everyone else takes for granted, and the information overload just weighs me down so much that I crack.
Maybe you just don't go as far down the wikihole as the rest of us.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm Maybe you just don't go as far down the wikihole as the rest of us.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies -> William Golding -> CBE (redirects to Order of the British Empire) -> Civil service -> "The civil service is independent of government and composed mainly of career bureaucrats hired on professional merit rather than appointed or elected, whose institutional tenure typically survives transitions of political leadership." -> In English, please?

I've drowned because I hit something I didn't understand. And still learned nothing about Lord of the Flies.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:42 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm Maybe you just don't go as far down the wikihole as the rest of us.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies -> William Golding -> CBE (redirects to Order of the British Empire) -> Civil service -> "The civil service is independent of government and composed mainly of career bureaucrats hired on professional merit rather than appointed or elected, whose institutional tenure typically survives transitions of political leadership." -> In English, please?

I've drowned because I hit something I didn't understand. And still learned nothing about Lord of the Flies.
Because that's like, 5, 10 bricks there. Stick with one page, bookmark links that look interesting and tell yourself, "There's an answer for this too, but I don't need to know it for now."