Power Players announced

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Power Players announced

Post by Fleeboy »

Just saw this via the L.A. Times:

The celebrities, appearing on "Jeopardy's" special week of shows being taped in DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., will include CNN's Anderson Cooper, former L.A. Laker Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Fox News' Chris Wallace, comedian Lewis Black, CNBC's David Faber, the New York Times' Thomas Friedman, former White House press secretaries Robert Gibbs and Dana Perino, BBC's Katty Kay, MSNBC's Chris Matthews, NBC News' Kelly O'Donnell and Chuck Todd, CNN's Lizzie O'Leary, Dr. Mehmet Oz and the Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page.

PLEASE let Lewis Black be at the early taping Saturday!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... pardy.html
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Power Players announced

Post by Creed Bratton »

The Jeopardy facebook page has a link to the matchups.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Jeop ... 9437525126
MrDanZak
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MrDanZak »

Hi everyone: I'm a feature writer for The Washington Post and I'm writing a piece on Trebek and the show in general while they're in town to tape "Power Players." If you have any thoughts on why you love the show or if you have any suggestions for questions I should ask Trebek (I'm interviewing him tomorrow), feel free to e-mail me: zakd@washpost.com. Looking for any insights, memories, anecdotes, etc., to help me understand why the show remains entrenched in the popular culture. Thanks very much. Dan Zak, The Washington Post, http://wapo.st/mQUch8
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Creed Bratton wrote:The Jeopardy facebook page has a link to the matchups.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Jeop ... 9437525126
Thanks for that, I already got my person who to cheer for set for each matchup!

(For the curious: Anderson Cooper, Dr. Oz, Kareem, Chris Matthews, and, of course, Lewis Black. The curious can ask me why and I'll gladly tell you. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

If form holds true, bet on the comedian and the athlete. Otherwise this is a snoozer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm just glad its only one week of this nonsense.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I'm just glad its only one week of this nonsense.
Amen
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Ditto!

As for Lewis Black, I can't stand that asshole. I guess I'll root for Dana Perino or Lizzie O'Leary, whoever she is.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Two of my favorite media ladies playing. Not a complete waste.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Hey, I know you! You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar! You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers!

Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:Hey, I know you! You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar! You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers!

Rex
Yeah taht was my WTF, "Why is he considered a Washington Power Player? Was there something I missed in his post-basketball career?" ("Power player" sure, but not in the sense of this tourney.)

And, call me optimistic/idealistic/idiotic, but I don't think the Power Players will "ham it up" as much as recent contestants (although I'm picking Kareem to be the Isaac Mizrahi of the tourney, I think most will play it serious.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Rex Kramer wrote:Hey, I know you! You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar! You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers!
This game still gets my vote for one of the funniest J! Moments.
  • Category: I WENT TO UCLA $400

Clue: Tell your old man to drag this '70s UCLA & Trail Blazer center (& Lanier!) up & down the court for 48 minutes

Kareem: Who is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?

Alex: No!

[Laughter]

Alex: You're the one who delivered the line, but it was about Bill Walton.

Kareem: Oh!

Alex: Embarrassing moments on Jeopardy!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I'll be sure to stretch Happy Hour that week.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

HugoZ wrote:

Clue: Tell your old man to drag this '70s UCLA & Trail Blazer center (& Lanier!) up & down the court for 48 minutes

[Laughter]

*that*'s why he's my rooting choice for Wednesday. :) (OK, you twisted my arm, the others are because I remembered Anderson from his previous J! appearances and think he has a decent shot (although I do still have a thing for redheads), seeing Dr. Oz having given so many clues for the show I thought would make great viewing, Chris Matthews is a former Toastmaster and is one of their poster boys (he features prominently in their new PSA. And Black, well, do you even have to ask? (I quite enjoy his comedy, but I hope that he does serious up for the show.)

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

I find it ironic that Dr. Oz is one of the celebrities considering that the second half of his nationally syndicated talk show actually started airing against J! (in my area) this fall.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

It looks more like a "Dancing with the Stars" cast. That is, I haven't heard of most of them. bpmod, are you still going?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

thejeopardyfan wrote:It looks more like a "Dancing with the Stars" cast. That is, I haven't heard of most of them. bpmod, are you still going?
Yes. I am going. My bags are packed. I'll be arriving in the DC area Thursday around 5pm and meeting Rex Friday morning to pick up my tickets.

I hope to meet up with any boardies that are planning to be in attendance. I have requested tickets for every session so that I don't miss anybody. I am planning to make the most of my week there, and will be available for other activities that anybody has planned or wants to plan.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I noticed that the prizes have been reduced since the last Power Players in 2004. The winner still has a minimum guarantee of $50,000 to charity, but now the runners-up will only get $10,000 guarantees (instead of $20,000).
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

dhkendall wrote:
HugoZ wrote:

[Laughter]

*that*'s why he's my rooting choice for Wednesday. :) (OK, you twisted my arm, the others are because I remembered Anderson from his previous J! appearances and think he has a decent shot (although I do still have a thing for redheads), seeing Dr. Oz having given so many clues for the show I thought would make great viewing, Chris Matthews is a former Toastmaster and is one of their poster boys (he features prominently in their new PSA. And Black, well, do you even have to ask? (I quite enjoy his comedy, but I hope that he does serious up for the show.)
I personally put Dr. Oz in the dreaded Oprah-reader category myself. (And not just because he got his start on Oprah's show...and also not just because I think he's an utter quack. OK, maybe a little. :)) That Kareem moment was classic (and hey, he was just on "New Girl"...one of my favorite shows), but I'd have to go with Dana Perino for that game. I don't know why, I just really like her.

Also, I seem to be part of the miniscule percentage of boardies that's actually excited for this...ah, well.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

barandall800 wrote:Also, I seem to be part of the miniscule percentage of boardies that's actually excited for this...ah, well.
I'm not excited because it's happening; I'm excited because I'll be there.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.