Thursday, May 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm If Melissa has a viewing party she needs to hide until clue 2 as “Los Angeles” for this opening clue did not cut it: Ned Flanders & Seymour Skinner are among the runners in a “Run Your Knees for Charity” race in this TV town

All three players should duck if around others when this $800 clue in LAKES & RIVERS goes TS: Greg Lake was the middleman for these prog rock legends

Once again all six categories were sampled in the first segment.

Playing the Monday morning quarterback/20:20 hindsight game: The J! round had Josh controlling the board at clue 29 with the DD available. His choices were 10,000 MANIAC $400 or AUTHORS USE NEW WORDS $1000. He went $400 and with Melissa getting it she had the DD to close the round. Yes, the DD could have been in the second spot, but I think Josh needed better game-something and should have gone for the higher amount remaining. Of course in this game it did not matter.

The FJ! category felt like it could be anything with dozens of possibilities in the J! canon. The clue for me did nothing to narrow matters. Give me a decade, a war, Best Picture win, nationalities, continent…something. I can imagine the writers originally having a little extra in the wording and Alex nixing it because he likes the movie so much and thinking it was too easy.

At least Alex did not read the clue imitating the star’s voice. I matched Kurt’s guess to have something on my sheet.

To those who instagot it with a direct path to the war and movie, good one. I can understand going right to WWII for liberated city and from there completing the puzzle with a movie named for a city the J! likes. Simple connections for the get.

The contestants are on a cold streak in the FJ! round with a threepeat of skunks. I joined Kurt with his miss for a war movie city name that came me in the 30 seconds. No, I do not think the city was liberated last year. The only other movie I could think of with a city name for a title while the music played was Munich.

Some time was wasted as I tried the math of subtracting 15 days from Thanksgiving and seeing if a earlier date in November rang any bells. Useless.

Just to make sure the clue itself is accurate it was easy to find that Thanksgiving (and the premiere) in 1942 was on the 26th. For the liberation there seemed to be a range with the 11th within it.
Josh’s chat with Alex led me to try a little Google-fu. The results include an article, picture and video:
Spoiler
why? not everybody knows old music...music is a generational thing...unless you are a real music geek or a geezer, why would anyone know who that trio is?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:31 pm I thought that this was yet another incredibly easy FJ but now I'm guessing it polls below 50%.

It's nonetheless a very good FJ clue. Casablanca was released in NYC to coincide with the Allied victory there - and then in wide release to coincide with a summit between FDR and Churchill. The release in 1942 has caused some confusion about Oscar history because the film was nominated to compete in 1943 - based on the fact that it had been released in NYC only in '42 and was not released in LA/nationally until '43 (winning Best Pic, Best Director and Best Screenplay).

I think the writers were counting on the film's incredible popularity, including some of the production facts that have been provided on TCM, for example. Kind of hard to believe that none of these players had enough familiarity with it.

Interestingly, Dunkirk apparently was not liberated until the last days of the war.
i got the previous 2 triple stumpers, but failed to get this one....don't really associate casablanca as being a war movie
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought of Dunkirk but I remember it being the answer to FJ on December 12 so I knew it probably wouldn't be re-used so soon. I tried in vain to think of any war movies with "Paris" in the title. Once Alex mentioned the answer was one of the top movies of all time, I knew what I had missed.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 pm why? not everybody knows old music...music is a generational thing...unless you are a real music geek or a geezer, why would anyone know who that trio is?
Yeah, while we're at it, let's get rid of classical music categories, since unless you're a real music geek, why would anyone know who those composers are? [/sarcasm]
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm

All three players should duck if around others when this $800 clue in LAKES & RIVERS goes TS: Greg Lake was the middleman for these prog rock legends
As a proghead, that was just sad. :cry:
How is it this FJ was a near instaget when I couldn't get the others this week?
My jaw dropped when that went TS. On another note, I realized we both have prog cover album avatars.
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 pm

My jaw dropped when that went TS. On another note, I realized we both have prog cover album avatars.
Yeah, I was surprised none of them got it, even though Emerson Lake and Palmer is a fairly well known group. This was also the second day in a row where I failed to guess the FJ. Oh well.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:52 pm
i got the previous 2 triple stumpers, but failed to get this one....don't really associate casablanca as being a war movie
Exactly the same response from me. IMO that was a terrible FJ .. there was no help whatsoever. Alex assumes they've all seen it multiple times .. I request a poll asking that. I'm 47 and I've never seen Casablanca.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

DBear wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:50 pm why? not everybody knows old music...music is a generational thing...unless you are a real music geek or a geezer, why would anyone know who that trio is?
Yeah, while we're at it, let's get rid of classical music categories, since unless you're a real music geek, why would anyone know who those composers are? [/sarcasm]
That's not what he said.

There's a difference between "not everyone will know everything in every category" which is what he said, and "I don't know this! It shouldn't be here" which is what you are implying he said.
Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 pm

In all seriousness, is that group very well known? I know nothing about progressive rock, I am a rap fan, so I honestly could not name a SINGLE prog rock band...in fact I am not even 100% sure what "progressive" refers to, I think it means they switch tempo midsong but I would not bet the farm on that.

Edit: I just typed "prog rock bands" into Google and it turns out I have heard of some of them such as Genesis and Pink Floyd and my countrymen Rush but I did not know that these bands would be called "prog rock" as opposed to just "rock."
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

alietr wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 pm It took a few seconds, but I couldn't come up with anything better after hitting on Casablanca.
Similar. It took me about 10 seconds to go from thinking "War & Movies" implied "War Movies" but not believing The Bridge on the River Kwai was correct. Was the River Kwai liberated? I don't know, moreover I was aware the film came out in 1957 (as others have said- give me a decade, or mention of an Oscar nom or win, or the director or an actor, and I doubt J! could make a movie clue that I wouldn't get [this is not to be arrogant but just acknowledging that I am good at certain categories]) and fortunately I read the clue correctly (i.e., I understood they meant 15 days after the liberation, not 15 days after the anniversary of the liberation). Figured WWII was most likely war and thought of big films from the era. Casablanca is well-known of course and is a place, and seems like it could have been liberated. Nothing better comes to mind in the remaining time. Okay, cool.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

RKane wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 pm

In all seriousness, is that group very well known? I know nothing about progressive rock, I am a rap fan, so I honestly could not name a SINGLE prog rock band...in fact I am not even 100% sure what "progressive" refers to, I think it means they switch tempo midsong but I would not bet the farm on that.
I took History of Rock and Roll in college. On the day when we came to prog rock, EL&P were mentioned as especially influential, both in influence within prog rock and in bridging a gap between the rock world and the classical world, though not quite rising to the level of lasting popularity today of Pink Floyd, Rush, Jethro Tull, Yes, etc.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

pop culture type of music plays a lot different than classical music...classical music is seen as something like academics and is something people "should" know...i don't know crap about 60-70s music outside of the big names...and that trio is surely not a big name in music to the masses

btw...i did get it right, but only because i proofread and fact check trivia games and the dude who owns the company and writes the games loves his lame azz 70s music and thinks everyone that plays his games have some sort of 70s music background...which as time goes by won't be accurate...the demographics stay the same but the era in which these people grew up is not the same
Last edited by CasketRomance on Thu May 03, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MitchO wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Exactly the same response from me. IMO that was a terrible FJ .. there was no help whatsoever. Alex assumes they've all seen it multiple times .. I request a poll asking that. I'm 47 and I've never seen Casablanca.
i have seen it once in its entirety and that was in a film class during my undergraduate days...i do own a copy of it, but haven't watched it all the way through on my own
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 pm
pop culture type of music plays a lot different than classical music...classical music is seen as something like academics and is something people "should" know...i don't know crap about 60-70s music outside of the big names...and that trio is surely not a big name in music to the masses
My remark was about a general viewing party crowd. A lot of guests would not be able to pass the test or come close to 35. When watching the show it can be more about the food and company. What will get a reaction is a clue none of the contestants get that have a better solve percentage at the party. My opinion is EL&P is that type of clue that enough guests will know and the guest of honor not knowing it will result in that person wanting to go into turtle/tortoise mode.

It's the same for the town of The Simpsons as Melissa as the star of her viewing party will catch playful hoots and hollers for giving Los Angeles as Springfield would have a decent hit rate across multiple generations. As opening clue it gets Melissa off to a bad start with the embarrassing miss she (or anyone else who has done such things) would love to have back.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 pm
My remark was about a general viewing party crowd. A lot of guests would not be able to pass the test or come close to 35. When watching the show it can be more about the food and company. What will get a reaction is a clue none of the contestants get that have a better solve percentage at the party. My opinion is EL&P is that type of clue that enough guests will know and the guest of honor not knowing it will result in that person wanting to go into turtle/tortoise mode.

It's the same for the town of The Simpsons as Melissa as the star of her viewing party will catch playful hoots and hollers for giving Los Angeles as Springfield would have a decent hit rate across multiple generations. As opening clue it gets Melissa off to a bad start with the embarrassing miss she (or anyone else who has done such things) would love to have back.
i agree with you on the simpson's clue, but still not with on the prog rock dudes...only people at the viewing parties that will get that will be old people or prog rock geeks
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

46 R
DD: 1/3 (Emancipation Proclamation)
FJ: :(
LT: Ben Affleck & Matt Damon, Pallid, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Tartar Sauce

Ran "Lid".
Douglas Squasoni
hscer

Post by hscer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:31 pm
hscer wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:23 pm What was the score the rest of DJ after Josh missed DD3? I want to say something like 14,000-800-800.
DD3 was clue 16 and after the miss he led 13400 to 9000 to 1800 with 14 clues (turned out to be 13 played) worth $20800 remaining. That means Josh added 14000 of that available money in those clues. That's how you get the rare Coryat over 31K.
I understand more clearly what you were asking now. Over those last 13 clues seen, Melissa was not heard from at all. Kurt got only Hollandaise. Josh got everything else other than the TS clues for ELP and tartar. Yes, wow, +14000 for the champ and a combined +800 for the challengers.

That's gonna be one helluva game dynamics chart.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Josh played really well. I want to see him bet a lot on daily doubles and win a bunch of money.

I couldn't come up with anything on FJ. Thanksgiving minus 15 days is approximately Veterans Day. I tried to think of a landmark that was liberated on Veterans day and got nowhere.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I am shocked, shocked that nobody got FJ. That film has been referenced in dozens of clues on the show over the years. I could see someone guessing a more recent nonexistent film like Baghdad or Kabul (or even Aleppo.)
Hoping for a third lap
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Not a rock fan at all, but I have heard of Emerson Lake & Palmer.

I just didn't pick up on what was meant by "middleman" until too late.

I did guess correctly on Casablanca simply based on "title city" and a famous film... Googled afterward to see how and when Casablanca may have been liberated.

No interest in wars here, and WW2 was barely mentioned at all in typical schoolbooks in the 60's and 70's. Korea was mentioned even less.
Last edited by Rackme32 on Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

An even better game by Josh than he had yesterday. If his stamina holds up, we're looking at a super-champion for sure.

Ugh, missed an opportunity to get 3 Triple Stumper Final Jeopardies in a row. I thought of "Casablanca" too, and I'm usually bullet-proof on movie trivia, but ultimately went with Dunkirk. I'm not shocked it was a Triple Stumper this time, though; that is a fairly obscure factoid about the movie.