Monday, May 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7756, 2018-05-07

2018 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Larry Martin, a second grade teacher from Kansas City, Missouri
Lee DiGeorge, a middle school English and technology teacher from Bayside, New York
Claire Bishop, a high school Latin teacher from Lexington, Kentucky

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to Jeopardy!'s annual tribute to those marvelous people who sometimes get to spend more quality time with our children than we the parents do. We have three talented teachers with us today. Larry, Lee and Claire, good luck. Let's go to work. Here are the categories you have to deal with today as you face our test...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SHAPE OF WATER (5/5)
ANTIQUES (5/5)
SHORT ANSWER TEST (3/5)
STOCK MARKET INDEXES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PRESIDENTIAL POSSESSIVES (5/5) (Alex: I'll give you an example: "Donald's winning cards." "What are Trump's trumps?")
WRECKING THE CURVE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Larry: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Claire: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Lee: 8 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Larry: $4,000
Lee: $2,800
Claire: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Throughout this tournament, you're gonna be hearing about what our teachers, the contestants in this tournament, are doing with the awards they have received through the Thank America's Teachers program, presented by Farmers Insurance. And just a note that if you are a teacher and you would like to apply for one of these rewards, there's nothing holding you back. All right, Larry Martin is the first player we introduced on our program today. At the end of each school year, you do something that is a little different. I wanna hear about that.

Larry: Well, we're Martin's Marvels, and so I have over 500 Marvel graduates now. For each one, I've done a caricature, framed, that says, "Follow your dreams," and it shows them doing something they hope to do someday.

Alex: All right, that's wonderful. Good. I should get you to do a caricature of me.

Larry: I'd be happy to.

Alex: Lee DiGeorge from New York, middle school teacher. Two of your students came up with a great power presentation. What was it about?

Lee: Well, they found out that I was going to be on Jeopardy! And they know that I'm really terrible at art. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler or graph paper. So they said, "So you don't mess up on Jeopardy!, here's a PowerPoint of all the art you need to know."

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Claire Bishop is from Kentucky. She teaches Latin.

Claire: Yeah.

Alex: I love it. I love it. Now you also have a Twitter account which you use to great effect. How?

Claire: I take pictures of Latin if I ever see it out in books or in movies or on random signs in advertisements, and then I post it for my students to show that Latin is still alive. It's not a dead language like most people think.

Alex: Absolutely.

Claire: It's used in the world.

Alex: Good for you, too.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Claire found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Claire had $2,800, Lee had $3,800, and Larry was at $6,200. Claire wagered $2,000.

STOCK MARKET INDEXES $800: The SOFIX tracks the 15 biggest stocks on this Eastern European country's exchange
(Alex: Capital is Sofia.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHORT ANSWER TEST $200: In Japanese hai means this
(Larry: What is hi?)

WRECKING THE CURVE $1000: A curve thrown to Manny Ramirez became the longest home run hit in this city's Skydome (now Rogers Centre)

SHORT ANSWER TEST $400: Britain's oldest type of noble title is this, like Lord Snowdon

STOCK MARKET INDEXES $400: From Chinese for "ever growing", the Hang Seng compiles an index of stocks on this region's exchange

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Larry: $6,200
Claire: $5,200
Lee: $4,800
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOUNDS CRIMINAL, BUT ISN'T (5/5)
MOVIES IN THE SKY (4/5)
COLLEGES OF OXFORD (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EMPIRES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACA"D"MIA (4/5)
LITERARY MASHUPS (5/5) (Alex: Name the two works by the same author that we have kind of messed up a little.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Larry: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Claire: 11 R, 3 W
Lee: 1 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Larry snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Claire had $6,400, Lee had $4,800, and Larry was at $6,600. Larry wagered $3,000.

EMPIRES $1200: France's 1852-1870 Second Empire was ruled by the third of this name, known as the "Sphinx" for his enigmatic nature

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Larry who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Claire had $13,600, Lee had $4,800, and Larry was at $15,200. Larry wagered $3,000.

COLLEGES OF OXFORD $800: This author attended Lincoln College & based spy George Smiley in part on Rector Vivian Green
(Larry: Who is... who is Greene?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EMPIRES $1600: The empire of this leader who fought Jamestown's colonists was a confederacy of Algonquian tribes
(Claire: What is Iroquois?)

MOVIES IN THE SKY $2000: He had a healthy ego playing Peter Quill's dad in "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" as well as a super-hero in "Sky High"

COLLEGES OF OXFORD $1200: The motto of New College is alliteratively these habits "makyth man"--did any kingsmen go there?

ACA"D"MIA $2000: This rhyming phrase means that learning by repetition causes lack of interest

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Larry: $20,600
Claire: $14,400
Lee: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Larry: Wager $8,201 to cover Claire, but no more than $10,199 so as not to fall behind Lee's doubled score.
Claire: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,000 (martian), and you'll win the game if Larry wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Lee: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city, also the title of a film that won 2 Oscars, was named for a businessman known for 19th c. transportation

FINAL SCORES
Lee: $5,200 - $5,200 = $0 (What is San Francisco) (3rd place)
Claire: $14,400 - $600 = $13,800 (What is San Antonio) (2nd place)
Larry: $20,600 - $2,500 = $18,100 (What is KC?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [To Larry] No, [*]. Wells. If I had given you Henry Wells' name, you'd have gotten [*], I'm sure.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Larry: $21,800, 24 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Claire: $13,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Lee: $5,200, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Larry: 24/60 = .400
Claire: 18/59 = .305
Lee: 9/58 = .155
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE SHAPE OF WATER $200: This Great Lake is the greatest

THE SHAPE OF WATER $600: James Bay protrudes from the lower right of this larger body

THE SHAPE OF WATER $800: The light blue patches are shallow water & salt ponds in this Middle Eastern body of water

THE SHAPE OF WATER $1000: Images from 1977 & 2010 show the effects of water diversion on this, once the world's fourth-largest lake

ANTIQUES $800: Weight-driven & later spring-driven, these made by Gustav Becker in the 1800s are prized & hung on walls
(Lee: What are cuckoo clocks?)

ANTIQUES $1000: Sinuous double-curved cabriole furniture legs are a mark of this style, named for a French king who died in 1774

THE SHAPE OF WATER $400: This river's delta covers more than 8,000 square miles

STOCK MARKET INDEXES $200: This company puts out an industrial average & also publishes the Wall Street Journal
(Claire: What is... the Dow? ...Jones?)
(Alex: Thank you.)

LITERARY MASHUPS $1600: "The Old Man in the Stream"
(Alex: By Hemingway.)

LITERARY MASHUPS $800: "Mansfield Abbey"
(Alex: Jane Austen.)

MOVIES IN THE SKY $1200: Before heading off to "Brokeback Mountain", he played future NASA engineer Homer Hickam in "October Sky"
(Larry: Who is Gyllenhaal?)
(Alex: And his... we'll give you that. Jake.)

SOUNDS CRIMINAL, BUT ISN'T $1200: That bracelet or scarf that totally completes your killer outfit
(Claire: What is a cuff?)

COLLEGES OF OXFORD $400: The college name seen here, founded in 1458, is pronounced with this consonant silent
(Claire: What is the D?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Bulgaria
yes
Toronto
an earl
Hong Kong
Napoleon
John le Carré
Powhatan
Kurt Russell
manners
drill and kill
Fargo
Superior
Hudson Bay
the Dead Sea
the Aral Sea
clocks
Louis XV
the Nile
Dow Jones
The Old Man and the Sea and Islands in the Stream
Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey
(Jake) Gyllenhaal
accessory
the G
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city, also the title of a film that won 2 Oscars, was named for a businessman known for 19th century transportation

Claire Bishop: 14400-600=13800
Lee DiGeorge: 5200-5200=0
Larry Martin: 20600-2500=18100 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Fargo (Claire – San Antonio) (Lee – San Francisco) (Larry – KC)

Daily Doubles
Claire: 2800+2000
Larry: 6600+3000
Larry: 15200-3000

Coryats
Claire: 13200
Lee: 5200
Larry: 21800

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Claire: 5200
Lee: 4800
Larry: 6200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The scores were fairly close after the J! round and then there ended up being more separation a round later.

Any Canadian baseball fans flip the triple trap door switch? To me it was a strange TS as the gentlemen split the other four clues in WRECKING THE CURVE to demonstrate baseball knowledge.

Of course it’s always funny what players know and don’t know. SHORT ANSWER TEST $200: In Japanese hai means this

Fine, Larry guessed, “Hi.” What puzzled me was no rebound.

Hammer: If you are reading this before posting, put away your book of adjectives and citizen’s arrest for a first box miss. The clue and valuation were 100% top box. For some reason this threesome let it get by them. I would not bet on it happening again if it had played in the T-F games.

For the FJ! clue I had to take the Hammer with nothing written as I had no reason to write Fulton, Otis, and a bunch of different train guys. The closest I got was when I dismissed Conestoga. I spent little time on the city angle and got no further than Chicago.

Just like the Thursday 5/3 clue looking for a movie city I was unable to put together the connections to solve the clue. If the writers are going to keep doing these kinds of clues I am going to need some kind of Rolodex at the ready like this one: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls008398159/ to have some possibles to sort through in a short time.

On Sporcle I looked at various quizzes and found that there are not too many movie titles that are the name of a U.S. city. To add to Chicago above and the correct response there is also Philadelphia. Most titles seem to have other words to go with the city like movies with Seattle or St. Louis in the name.

I don’t get how this clue is right for the QF round as I would only expect more failure than success on it. The saving grace is more likely than not the two better players will still move on.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Haven't seen the game yet today but went with Nashville off the Clue of the Day. Only one Oscar won, and the Nash in question was famous in the wrong century. Anyone else?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

All I could think of for FJ was Chicago, despite the fact that I was pretty sure that it was wrong. This FJ strikes me as being similar to a certain film one from last week in that it was weak on TOM, though mentioning "city" and 2 Oscar wins may have been enough for many boardies to get it.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Really tough final. Almost no TOM to get to the right city other than a mention of a film and a weak connection to its namesake. A little more on either of those ends (such as a mention of the Wells-Fargo logo) could have gone a long way towards a solve. My bid for another 1.000 tournament is over before it began.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I thought last week's somewhat similar clue had enough to get to the correct response. Today - not so much. It's not like there is much in the way of 19th century transportation to consider and stagecoach was the second thing that came to mind (after steamship) but the connection wasn't happening. Not to mention that while the movie is great (for anyone who hasn't seen it) but it has been 22 years and it was only a mild box-office success. Maybe the writers were influenced by the fact that it belatedly spawned a TV series.

Given the usual level of clues for a Teachers' Tourney, this one seemed like it should have been saved for the Final.

(And speaking of Stagecoach - another great movie).
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:12 pm
Of course it’s always funny what players know and don’t know. SHORT ANSWER TEST $200: In Japanese hai means this

Fine, Larry guessed, “Hi.” What puzzled me was no rebound.
I wasn't there in the audience to see, but for an easy bit of "lach trash" like this, I wonder if the other contestants actually weren't allowed to ring in?

I bring up the possibility because I experienced this in one of my games, where Alex misheard the answer, said "right!", but then Alex got immediately corrected by the judges. So they re-recorded Alex saying "wrong", and the astute viewer can then see me rollllll my eyes :roll: :roll: as the timer ticks down with no rebound attempt. (we were not allowed to do so...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Another Chicago here, with zero confidence. I thought of Stagecoach, but didn't know of a city by the name. I think Stagecoach even caused Wells Fargo to flit across my brain, but I didn't chase it down. Wells Fargo isn't the name of a city. I don't think of it as primarily a transportation company (where "transportation" means transporting people) though I guess they did that. And I had no idea Fargo was some guy's name. Even so, given two more minutes, I think I'd have gotten back to Fargo and decided that was my best guess. As things were, time was running out and panic set in and I locked in Chicago.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Question for those who've been at this longer than me: for the purposes of keeping Coryat scores / training, roughly how much easier are these games (if at all) than regular play games? For example, a $30,000 Coryat in today's game would translate to what, roughly, in regular play? (Or is it untranslatable because of the different category emphasis?)

Another one for Chicago on FJ. Also, kind of grumpy I couldn't come up with Aral Sea in the moment.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have one top box for my poll. Hai = yes was familiar after the TS, but it wasn't there for me in time either.

Alex seemed to have nothing to say in the interviews. He abruptly dismissed all three of them with a blunt "okay".

On the bottom three Literary Mashups, I had the first book but not the second. Didn't recognize either book in the top box.

Businessman known for 19th century transportation? Fulton, Pullman... Ford, Harley-Davidson, John Deere, Cyrus McCormick, all nothing. Even spotting me "Wells" led me nowhere, since a.) I didn't realize "Wells Fargo" was named for two people, and b.) I associate the name entirely with banking. I'd put this one under 20%.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

My mind got stuck on Chicago even though I knew it had to be wrong. Even trying to concentrate west of the Mississippi (to get past cities with names older than 19th c.) didn't help. "If the clue had mentioned Wells..." Why yes, if the clue had given us a bigger hint, we'd have gotten it. Gee, thanks for the insight Alex!

I don't know how on earth they got all of the other baseball clues (including another stadium clue), but didn't know that the Skydome/Rogers Centre was in Toronto.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I said Selma for FJ, also with zero confidence.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Screw it, I'm putting this at under 15 now.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I would not say William Fargo is "known for" transportation. Maybe shipping to a degree, but referring to that as transportation is a bit of a stretch. Guessed Chicago with no real confidence.
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

This game was definitely on the tougher side. There were very few if any instagets for me this game. As expected I did relatively better in the Jeopardy round.

My mind was also stuck on Chicago for the FJ, even though I knew it was wrong. The only other name swimming around my head was Vanderbilt, but that's a college.

I thought the Japanese Hai one was "Hey", due to it being similar.

All in all, a very good game and congrats to Larry.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,400
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: yes, Toronto, Hong Kong, John le Carré (DD)

I figured that the most efficient route would be to try to think of films that share their names with cities. Chicago was the first to come to mind, and Fargo came a couple of seconds later. Knowing Wells Fargo's connection to stagecoaches, I locked it in.

Both Claire and Larry are very strong players. I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them in the final.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

Looks like i'm the only the second one to get fargo so far, don't know if i would have gotten it if i wasnt so on edge about that casablanca clue i missed last week.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

acthomas wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:45 pm Haven't seen the game yet today but went with Nashville off the Clue of the Day. Only one Oscar won, and the Nash in question was famous in the wrong century. Anyone else?
You're not alone! I also guessed Nashville, knowing it was the title of a critically acclaimed film, and not knowing who the city was named after, but knowing that there was a Nash in the early days of the automotive industry.