Tuesday, June 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7792, 2018-06-26

CONTESTANTS
Andrew King, a lawyer from Little Rock, Arkansas
Jeff Witte, an electrical engineer from Fort Collins, Colorado
Kelly Griffin, a teacher from Brookhaven, Mississippi (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. If you come up with a correct response in Final Jeopardy! on our program, you stand a better chance of winning the game. And if you were watching yesterday, that's what Kelly did. She's the only player who came up with the right response. Jeff and Andrew, keep that in mind. Good luck, players. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOM DE MUPPET (5/5)
IN THE STATE SONG (5/5)
SPACED-OUT BUSINESS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
REMEMBER THE LADIES (4/5)
OLIVE MY LOVE (4/5)
2 "U" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kelly: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Andrew: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kelly: $3,000
Jeff: $2,800
Andrew: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andrew King is an attorney from Little Rock, Arkansas, and you are also a marijuana ethics lawyer. First of all, marijuana legal in Arkansas?

Andrew: For medical purposes, it is legal, and they're still working out the regulatory and the applications for licenses.

Alex: And where do you come in as a marijuana ethics lawyer?

Andrew: I'm on a committee, and so when people come to us and want us to do something related to marijuana or cannabis, we evaluate whether it complies with the rules of ethics, whether it'll put us in jail. And we approve it or disapprove it.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jeff Witte is from Fort Collins, Colorado. I understand you're pretty good at pub trivia competitions.

Jeff: Oh, I am?

Alex: Well, I was told that, and you have a spreadsheet that demonstrates your success. And how much money have you won in trivia?

Jeff: We--I keep track. We've been playing for several years, going to local pubs, and been making over $1,200 a year. It's all in beer money and food money, so we end up paying more to the restaurant than we actually take in.

Alex: $1,200 a year. Wow.

Jeff: Yeah, I know.

Alex: Aren't you glad you're here?

Jeff: I am. I am.

Alex: Kelly Griffin is our champion. You did some studying--you're a teacher now, but you studied in Ireland.

Kelly: Yeah, when I was in college, I spent a semester in Ireland, in Northern Ireland, studying peace and conflict studies. We got to live with families in both countries and meet with politicians on both sides of the border. It was right after the Good Friday Agreement, so that was the focus of our studies.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeff found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Kelly had $3,800, Jeff had $4,000, and Andrew was at $1,800. Jeff wagered $2,000.

SPACED-OUT BUSINESS $1000: Chevrolet & PBS have made very different versions of things called this

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REMEMBER THE LADIES $600: In 1925, she made the first of several field trips to American Samoa
(Andrew: Who is Jane Goodall?)

2 "U" $1000: A type of ancient soothsayer; add a "Y", you get an omen
(Andrew: What is a yeoman?)

OLIVE MY LOVE $1000: Together with capers & anchovies, olives are a key ingredient in this French-named spread

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jeff: $6,600
Kelly: $5,600
Andrew: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YES, PRIME MINISTER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COMMON BONDS (4/5)
UNREAL ESTATE (5/5)
QUOTES OF VICTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BROADWAY MUSICALS (5/5)
5-SYLLABLE WORDS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kelly: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Jeff: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Andrew: 8 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Kelly had $5,600, Jeff had $6,600, and Andrew was at $3,400. Andrew wagered $2,400.

YES, PRIME MINISTER $2000: Hun Sen, who spent much of the 1970s in exile in Vietnam, became prime minister of this country in 1985 & was still in office 30 years later

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Kelly had $18,000, Jeff had $13,400, and Andrew was at $7,000. Andrew wagered $6,999.

QUOTES OF VICTORY $2000: In 1776 in "The American Crisis" he wrote, "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YES, PRIME MINISTER $1200: Educated at Harvard & Oxford, this woman led Pakistan in the '80s & again in the '90s

5-SYLLABLE WORDS $1200: The Greek word oikos led to this word meaning thrifty in the use of money or other things

COMMON BONDS $1200: Bears,
small icebergs,
your tummy
(Jeff: Things that rumble.)

5-SYLLABLE WORDS $400: It comes before "medley" in Olympic swimming
(Andrew: What is intermediate?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kelly: $18,000
Andrew: $13,999
Jeff: $13,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL CINEMA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Kelly: Wager $9,999 to cover Andrew.
Andrew: You ought to wager to cover Jeff, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $13,999. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $12,801 (to shut out Jeff) or less than $5,997 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jeff). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Kelly.
Jeff: Consider risking between $600 and $5,398. This will top a $0 wager by Andrew while still beating Kelly on the Triple Stumper (should Kelly wager to cover Andrew's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Getting its nickname from a capital, Dhallywood is the name for the film industry in this Asian country

FINAL SCORES
Jeff: $13,400 - $13,398 = $2 (What is Laos?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Andrew: $13,999 - $12,801 = $1,198 (What is United Arab Emirates?) (New champion: $1,198)
Kelly: $18,000 - $17,000 = $1,000 (What is) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kelly: $18,000, 19 R, 0 W
Jeff: $12,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Andrew: $8,600, 14 R (including 2 DDs), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $39,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jeff: 20/59 = .339
Kelly: 19/58 = .328
Andrew: 14/60 = .233
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NOM DE MUPPET $400: He may have told us his name, but we didn't understand him, so we know him by his nationality

REMEMBER THE LADIES $1000: The first drama by an African-American woman produced on Broadway was her "A Raisin in the Sun"

2 "U" $800: Lotsa pasta flour comes from this type of wheat
(Andrew: What is orzo?)

BROADWAY MUSICALS $400: It's the word & the musical set at Rydell High in the 1950s
(Andrew: What is West Side Story?)

UNREAL ESTATE $2000: A group of travelers use Saknussemm's Corridor to do this, the title of a Verne novel
(Jeff: [*]?)

BROADWAY MUSICALS $2000: Characters in this Sondheim musical include a witch, a baker & Little Red Riding Hood
(Andrew: What is Wicked?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nova
Margaret Mead
an augur
tapenade
Cambodia
Paine
Benazir Bhutto
economical
things that growl
individual
Bangladesh
the Swedish Chef
Lorraine Hansberry
durum
Grease?)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Into the Woods
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL CINEMA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Getting its nickname from a capital, Dhallywood is the name for the film industry in this Asian country

Kelly Griffin: 18000-17000=1000
Jeff Witte: 13400-13398=2
Andrew King: 13999-12801=1198 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bangladesh (Kelly – What is) (Jeff – Laos?) (Andrew – United Arab Emirates)

Daily Doubles
Jeff: 4000+2000
Andrew: 3400+2400
Andrew: 7000+6999

Coryats
Kelly: 18000
Jeff: 12400
Andrew: 8600

Combined: 39,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kelly: 5600
Jeff: 6600
Andrew: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

[Just joking and members around long enough will understand] Jeff’s phrasing error for the Verne work cost him the game as he lost $2000 and his losing margin after the FJ! round was only $1,196.

Today’s to BMS or not to BMS was just the last name of Canada’s PM good enough.

I deserve to lose a streak of 6 right in the FJ! round for how badly I played today’s clue. India is Bollywood, so perhaps Pakistan? No, I can’t get Islamabad or even Karachi out of that. Dh- reminded me of Lh for whatever reason and I had a detour to Lhasa. Come on now.

The 30 seconds seemed to fly by as my mind was not working quickly. I kept saying Dhallywood out loud for some kind of inspiration. With under five seconds to go I hit upon Dakar and took another second to recall the country was Senegal as I wrote it on the paper.

Oh! ____ that’s Africa and not Asia. Not Dakar you dummy. Dhaka! I got to the city a touch after time was up and then I was so rattled I was blanking on the country. Not that it would have mattered being late anyway. Fail!

Time to do a refresher course on capitals to get myself back to over 100 at least that I would have had handy back in 2005. By 2018 I lose a couple each year it seems. At least I can handle the important stuff like Muppets whether on J! or LL.

Kelly should have won. Jeff should have won. Andrew did win. Not a smooth path, but he’ll be the one at position 1 tomorrow. A game of experience should help him play a little better. Kelly certainly played better from the champ’s spot.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:09 pm Time to do a refresher course on capitals to get myself back to over 100 at least that I would have had handy back in 2005. By 2018 I lose a couple each year it seems. At least I can handle the important stuff like Muppets whether on J! or LL.
That's what Sporcle is for! ;)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Is it ok to say "questionable wagering alert!"?

But this was a pretty tricky FJ - Bollywood is probably pushing it for Americans in terms of foreign cinema and Dhallywood is a bit of a reach in terms of shoe-horning that capital into the theme.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:00 pm Is it ok to say "questionable wagering alert!"?

But this was a pretty tricky FJ - Bollywood is probably pushing it for Americans in terms of foreign cinema and Dhallywood is a bit of a reach in terms of shoe-horning that capital into the theme.
Since he was the third contestant from Fort Collins in less than a year-and-a-half, I had to root for Jeff. Have to admit that after calculating my recommended wager for him, I was a little dismayed at the reveal. Two scenarios always make me cringe: (a) when the leader gets FJ correct and loses due to an underwager, or (b) when a trailing player loses due to an overwager on a clue the person(s) ahead of him or her miss. There are many times when a two-way scenario leaves the trailing player with a one-in-four shot at a win, but there are many other scenarios where the trailing player can change that to two-in-four with a strategic wager.

Nonetheless, FoCoNoCo is proud of Jeff for representing us!
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Capital that starts with Dha = Dhaka = Bangladesh. 2/2
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Really surprised that was a TS.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any reason I should know State song for $200 was Mississippi? There are lots of states that can be spelled out and I saw nothing to possibly narrow it down.

Another rare miss for me on a country music clue, as I had a brainfart and couldn't remember where the Smoky Mountains are.

Also saw no way to figure out Emerald City in the top box of Unreal.

"Individual medley"?!?

Loved the $6,999 wager on the last DD. I almost wanted to see him get it wrong for a repeat of the "Kebert Xela" episode.

Dhallywood = Dhaka = uhhhhhhhh.... Come on, I know this. No, not Dakar, that's Senegal. Oh derp, that says Asian, not African. Uhhhhh.... I got nothin'. Dhaka = Bangladesh has crossed my mind before, but it just wasn't there. As usual.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I give up. I mean, I knew the guys would bet almost everything so I didn't even bother calculating their wagers, but what was Kelly thinking?!?!

Also, Alex spelled it out; Asian capital, starts with DHA. I don't know why this was a TS. Or Benazir Bhutto, for that matter.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:09 pm Today’s to BMS or not to BMS was just the last name of Canada’s PM good enough.
That one I'm fine with. Pierre was long dead by the time in the clue.
The 30 seconds seemed to fly by as my mind was not working quickly. I kept saying Dhallywood out loud for some kind of inspiration. With under five seconds to go I hit upon Dakar and took another second to recall the country was Senegal as I wrote it on the paper.

Oh! ____ that’s Africa and not Asia. Not Dakar you dummy. Dhaka! I got to the city a touch after time was up and then I was so rattled I was blanking on the country. Not that it would have mattered being late anyway. Fail!
I had Dakar quickly, but like you, realized there's no 'h' and it's in Africa. And .... that's as far as I got. Even if you had spotted me Bangladesh, I have no clue what the capital is.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The only reason I know Dakar = Senegal is because of an old obscure Mac game called Moriarty's Return.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:09 pm Today’s to BMS or not to BMS was just the last name of Canada’s PM good enough.
If that's the standard, then they better not BMS 'US President' Johnson or Roosevelt ever again. I can't believe that this is the judging crew that once BMSed Nehru...
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

United Arab Emirates was a perfectly valid guess, and what I went with. I can't think of anything that would've made it any better or worse a guess than Bangladesh, aside from it being wrong, anyway :P.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:34 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:31 pm
If that's the standard, then they better not BMS 'US President' Johnson or Roosevelt ever again. I can't believe that this is the judging crew that once BMSed Nehru...
Personally, I would much rather they get rid of BMS's altogether -- if you aren't specific enough, you're wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vowela wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 pm United Arab Emirates was a perfectly valid guess
Yeah, when I saw that response come up, I thought he might have had it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Vowela wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 pm United Arab Emirates was a perfectly valid guess, and what I went with. I can't think of anything that would've made it any better or worse a guess than Bangladesh, aside from it being wrong, anyway :P.
The UAE has a pretty small population (less than 10 million and virtually the entire population is expatriates) so is less likely to have a burgeoning movie scene with its own name.
Golf

Post by Golf »

This is going to be one of those episodes where the contestants just aren't going to show up here. :oops:

If contestants don't know world capitals they don't deserve to win. Although in the heat of the moment I could see someone answering Senegal.

Actually none of the contestants wagered well as Andrew offered a tie to Jeff. Kelly and Jeff just flat out made terrible wagers, it's that simple. And that's not mean or knocking their intellect or mannerisms. The wagers were dreadful and it cost each of them a ton of real money.
hscer

Post by hscer »

What a game. Fun DD3 wager.

And that is possibly the closest you'll get to a Clavin FJ wager in real life.

Is there a term for getting ~Lach Trash in FJ?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer