Tuesday, July 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Ugh...the common trend of Season 34 continues. Poor wagering...AND IT HAPPENS NEAR THE END OF THE SEASON!

It seems that most of the women in the 2nd half of season 34 fall prey to poor betting, and this game definitely showed.

Suzanne didn't even bother trying to cover Dave and picked to cover Jim instead. This has been such a pet peeve I get frustrated over, second-guess betting. If Dave did get FJ! right and doubled, Suzanne would have lost! Though, Jim's questionable DD he picked up didn't quite do himself any justice. If he probably bet maybe $4,000 instead of $3,000, then MAYBE he could have won.

But...jeez...every stormtrooper in the Star Wars series would upload a crowd of facepalms in shame for being in part of working with Darth Vader than seeing a Jeopardy! episode where poor wagering on FJ! becomes a big issue.

By the time season 34 ends and season 35 starts, this better not continue to be a hiccup.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The judges were really asleep at the wheel today. Has an episode ever had 3+ clue overturns? Cheezguyty?

Not a bad batch of categories. Ran F Stop and got all but Salem in Colleges.

Can't say I've heard of Nescafe instant coffee, so it seemed like an odd choice at $200.

Most embarrassing miss for me was Fannie Flagg. Just couldn't filter through all the Match Game panelists in time.

I'm sure you can guess my only get in Stars Fell from Alabama...

Lach Trash: aloof

I had no idea what to guess on FJ!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 36,400
46 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: superconductivity, Economics, Atlanta (DD), aloof, (Elf on the Shelf)

Another Poland here. I had nothing on the peace palace angle, so I went for Auschwitz. I didn't love my response given that the clue said "internment camp" rather than "concentration camp," but it was the best I had.
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 am Suzanne didn't even bother trying to cover Dave and picked to cover Jim instead. This has been such a pet peeve I get frustrated over, second-guess betting. If Dave did get FJ! right and doubled, Suzanne would have lost!
I can't tell whether Suzanne was lucky or brilliant. Sure, first-level strategy suggests that she should wager enough to cover a double-up from Dave. However, given that Dave played the game very strategically, it's much more likely that he would wager small in the hopes of winning on a TS. Suzanne managed simultaneously to cover $0 wagers from both first and third place. At the very least, that's a defensible decision.

The "Elf on a Shelf" reversal reminds me of one of my favorite 30 Rock clips. Californians, and those who have visited the state, will be able to relate.
Sprinkles are for winners.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:04 am
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 am Suzanne didn't even bother trying to cover Dave and picked to cover Jim instead. This has been such a pet peeve I get frustrated over, second-guess betting. If Dave did get FJ! right and doubled, Suzanne would have lost!
I can't tell whether Suzanne was lucky or brilliant. Sure, first-level strategy suggests that she should wager enough to cover a double-up from Dave. However, given that Dave played the game very strategically, it's much more likely that he would wager small in the hopes of winning on a TS. Suzanne managed simultaneously to cover $0 wagers from both first and third place. At the very least, that's a defensible decision.
Note that if Suzanne does bet to cover Dave, she still wins on the triple stumper as his seemingly pulled out of the air wager was about $200 higher than it should have been.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I'm thinking that the votes for Poland in the weekly poll will be between 66.7% and 75%.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I went with Poland as well, but was pretty sure it was wrong. I'll bet not too many people know what they were going with for the internment site --
Spoiler
Camp Westerbork
I'll bet if we poll that one, it's going to be ridiculously low. I think I've heard of it, but I would certainly have never come up with it.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Peace Palace in The Hague made this one an instaget. 2/2 and 13 in a row
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Chalk up another Poland here. I waffled between Austria/Czech a little, kind of forgetting the clue was pinned to WWII so I could cover the Soviet occupations. But, I settled on Poland so I wouldn't make the "don't go with the obvious" mistake. But really, Switzerland? And wtf is a "peace palace"? Sounds like a hippie hash house :lol: .

Tough neg IMHO for the elf clue. Seems to me with the category that an answer of just "shelf" would have worked. Trademark or not, giving TMI and missing an article shouldn't cost you unless there is also an "elf on a shelf" product. :(
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:09 am Another difficult Final Jeopardy! correct for me.
As hard as I try, I just can't let this comment go.

How do you define difficult? The fact that a whopping three people on stage didn't come up with it? The fact that some boardies say they missed it?

It's certainly subjective, but I don't think this was difficult at all when given Peace Palace in addition to the Anne Frank connection to an occupied country. Or remember the WWTBAM million dollar question about what language her diary was written in?

But regardless of clue difficulty, don't get hurt patting yourself on the back. :D

Wpwells wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:09 am 2/2 and 13 in a row
Or perhaps the two of you could get together and pat each other on the back so as to not risk injury. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 am Ugh...the common trend of Season 34 continues. Poor wagering...AND IT HAPPENS NEAR THE END OF THE SEASON!

It seems that most of the women in the 2nd half of season 34 fall prey to poor betting, and this game definitely showed.

Suzanne didn't even bother trying to cover Dave and picked to cover Jim instead. This has been such a pet peeve I get frustrated over, second-guess betting. If Dave did get FJ! right and doubled, Suzanne would have lost! Though, Jim's questionable DD he picked up didn't quite do himself any justice. If he probably bet maybe $4,000 instead of $3,000, then MAYBE he could have won.

But...jeez...every stormtrooper in the Star Wars series would upload a crowd of facepalms in shame for being in part of working with Darth Vader than seeing a Jeopardy! episode where poor wagering on FJ! becomes a big issue.

By the time season 34 ends and season 35 starts, this better not continue to be a hiccup.
It's called Stratton's Dilemma, and what to do in Stratton's Dilemma is not universally agreed upon.

Even so, you need to be significantly more respectful in your comments.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 am

Holy Chauvinism, Batman!
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 am Ugh...the common trend of Season 34 continues. Poor wagering...AND IT HAPPENS NEAR THE END OF THE SEASON!
This has been such a pet peeve I get frustrated over, second-guess betting. If Dave did get FJ! right and doubled, Suzanne would have lost!
every stormtrooper in the Star Wars series would upload a crowd of facepalms in shame for being in part of working with Darth Vader than seeing a Jeopardy! episode where poor wagering on FJ! becomes a big issue
Remind me which episodes you were on? The episode(s) where you had zero trouble with what most agree is BY FAR the most challenging/stressful moment of the entire contestant experience?

Of course I agree that some wagers are upsetting when they turn a favorite contestant into a former contestant, but for this friendly forum I suggest that you're laying it on way too thick. (vent your spleen to your dog, that's what I do! ;)

Not to mention the fact that in this particular game, I think you're overstating how bad the wagering might have been.
Spoiler
theFJguy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 pm Suzanne Koppelman: 14400-4001=10399 (2x = $34,800)
Jim McGinnis: 18400-10401=7999
Dave Baltmanis: 10200-1993=8207
Spoiler
Suzanne bets 6001-6400 (cover Dave's double-up while beating Jim if he misses)
Jim bets 10401 to cover Suzanne's double-up
Dave bets 2200 and hopes Jim bets rationally and misses
I am lucky enough to have been on that stage, and I vividly recall the stress of 5-digit arithmetic plus the pressure to finish (albeit no ticking clock) plus game theory thinking plus is-that-tough-category-name-actually-hiding-a-gimme. In taping seven games, I can tell you that the ONLY time my hands were shaking was while I was holding that Sharpie and quadruple-checking my math/logic!

If I were Suzanne, I'd be extremely happy with that wager. Imperfect but victorious! (and in the what if world where Dave bet it all AND Dave got it right - good on him, he earned it!)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:15 pm I went for Austria.
Austria was an annexation (the Anschluss; remember your Sound of Music!) - not an occupation. My first thought, just like my brother Jim, was Poland.

He says he realized the camps in Poland were "death" camps, not just "internment" camps, and second-guessed himself. Thought of Switzerland = neutral = peace and went with that. If you don't know about the Peace Palace in the Hague, I guess that was reasonable.

But Gotterdammerung it -- there were a hella lot of Axis-occupied countries during WWII! Thanks to our Dad Mike (who came home) and our Uncle Jimmy, Jim's namesake (who didn't come home) for defeating them that time.

Jim's CMU/Carnegie Tech Tartan bow tie was an inheritance from Dad (Tech class of '49.) Dad was one of those boys who was high school '39; colleg '49. WWII in between! Thanks again, Dad & Jimmy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Started with Poland and ended in France.

I went 3/5 in Alabama. I missed Channing Tatum and the Orange Black person.

Suzanne really needs to pay attention to the categories!!!

I liked Jim, sorry to see him lose.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

RobW wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 pm
This has been such a pet peeve I get frustrated over, second-guess betting. If Dave did get FJ! right and doubled, Suzanne would have lost!
every stormtrooper in the Star Wars series would upload a crowd of facepalms in shame for being in part of working with Darth Vader than seeing a Jeopardy! episode where poor wagering on FJ! becomes a big issue
Remind me which episodes you were on? The episode(s) where you had zero trouble with what most agree is BY FAR the most challenging/stressful moment of the entire contestant experience?

Of course I agree that some wagers are upsetting when they turn a favorite contestant into a former contestant, but for this friendly forum I suggest that you're laying it on way too thick. (vent your spleen to your dog, that's what I do! ;)

Not to mention the fact that in this particular game, I think you're overstating how bad the wagering might have been.
Spoiler
theFJguy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 pm Suzanne Koppelman: 14400-4001=10399 (2x = $34,800)
Jim McGinnis: 18400-10401=7999
Dave Baltmanis: 10200-1993=8207
Spoiler
Suzanne bets 6001-6400 (cover Dave's double-up while beating Jim if he misses)
Jim bets 10401 to cover Suzanne's double-up
Dave bets 2200 and hopes Jim bets rationally and misses
I am lucky enough to have been on that stage, and I vividly recall the stress of 5-digit arithmetic plus the pressure to finish (albeit no ticking clock) plus game theory thinking plus is-that-tough-category-name-actually-hiding-a-gimme. In taping seven games, I can tell you that the ONLY time my hands were shaking was while I was holding that Sharpie and quadruple-checking my math/logic!

If I were Suzanne, I'd be extremely happy with that wager. Imperfect but victorious! (and in the what if world where Dave bet it all AND Dave got it right - good on him, he earned it!)
Rob's is my favorite post of the day. Where's my thumbs-up icon?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 am It's called Stratton's Dilemma, and what to do in Stratton's Dilemma is not universally agreed upon.
To be fair, she could've covered 3rd with a wager of 6001, which would've left her with 8399, still enough to beat Jim on the TS (and also Dave; I dare someone to explain the logic behind his wager), so not quite Stratton's. I'm not even going to quote the original post because I don't want to imply that I'm defending that lunacy.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:20 am Tough neg IMHO for the elf clue. Seems to me with the category that an answer of just "shelf" would have worked. Trademark or not, giving TMI and missing an article shouldn't cost you unless there is also an "elf on a shelf" product. :(
The clue specifically asked for the "rhyming brand name."
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 am It's called Stratton's Dilemma, and what to do in Stratton's Dilemma is not universally agreed upon.
To be fair, she could've covered 3rd with a wager of 6001, which would've left her with 8399, still enough to beat Jim on the TS (and also Dave; I dare someone to explain the logic behind his wager), so not quite Stratton's. I'm not even going to quote the original post because I don't want to imply that I'm defending that lunacy.
My only guess is he was born in 1993.

My mind immediately skips to the next post when I see MTG use the word "she" in one of his posts.

I'm glad Jim didn't lose because Suzanne got extra money from his response that was originally negged.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I give up. I'm just gonna go back to hibernating off this site until further notice.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:49 pm

I give up. I'm just gonna go back to hibernating off this site until further notice.
It's Christmas on the 4th of July!