How does Alex Know When The SJ/DJ Rounds Are Almost Over?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

How does Alex Know When The SJ/DJ Rounds Are Almost Over?

Post by bigblue999 »

How does Alex know when there's one minute or less left in the round? I've been watching Jeopardy for many years and I'm curious how he knows.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: How does Alex Know When The SJ/DJ Rounds Are Almost Over?

Post by seaborgium »

John Lauderdale gives a wave from offstage, easily in view of Alex, but well out of camera range.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:49 pm John Lauderdale gives a wave from offstage, easily in view of Alex, but well out of camera range.
any idea if a producer also whispers in his ear? I would've guessed the whisper method would be the one used, but if someone is waving, then my question becomes is that wave the backup to the whisper (if there is one)?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:49 pm John Lauderdale gives a wave from offstage, easily in view of Alex, but well out of camera range.
Thank you. I was wondering if Alex was given a signal from the judges or Harry or that he was tracking the time at his podium.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It does seem like it's not foolproof. I've seen episodes where he does the LTAM and the round ended only one clue later, episodes where he doesn't LTAM and they leave clues on the board anyway, and even an episode where he accidentally LTAM'd twice.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:25 pm It does seem like it's not foolproof. I've seen episodes where he does the LTAM and the round ended only one clue later, episodes where he doesn't LTAM and they leave clues on the board anyway, and even an episode where he accidentally LTAM'd twice.
That's why it's LTAM!
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:33 pm How does Alex know when there's one minute or less left in the round? I've been watching Jeopardy for many years and I'm curious how he knows.
He's ALEX, for Chrissake! He knows everything.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

I have been in the studio a number of times to watch tapings. I also noted that John Lauderdale stands just out of camera range in Alex's field of vision after the contestant interviews. He holds out 1, 2 or 3 fingers to signal to Alex who has control of the board.

And I do not believe that Alex wears an earpiece. At least I have never seen him react as if someone is speaking to him through an earpiece. If the team in the production booth wants to get his attention, they do it through the producers in the studio or the stage manager. Or they speak directly into the studio for all to hear, but almost always during a break.