Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 6 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 6 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by immaf »

RTF category, immaf. For some reason, I thought answers in U-R the category would start with either a U or an R.
Teems with quiet fun.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 am
RJRouge wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 am Am I the only one here who's never heard of either the piece or the composer for the R6D4 9-pointer?
For J! purposes, he's the Czech composer who's not Dvořák, probably best known for his opera The Bartered Bride. Moldau and Libuse seem to be the only other works of his that J! clues have used to cue him.
so there those are the 2 "main" czech composers? never heard of either of them...only czech composer i can name is smetana
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:03 pm
RJRouge wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 am Am I the only one here who's never heard of either the piece or the composer for the R6D4 9-pointer?
For J! purposes, he's the Czech composer who's not Dvořák, probably best known for his opera The Bartered Bride. Moldau and Libuse seem to be the only other works of his that J! clues have used to cue him.
so there those are the 2 "main" czech composers? never heard of either of them...only czech composer i can name is smetana
There is also Leos Janacek, known for "Sinfonietta", "The Cunning Little Vixen", "Taras Bulba", and another work who's name I can't remember.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There's also Zdeněk Fibich, who has appeared once in the Archive, in a clue for a 1995 game (he composed a Don Juan opera; the clue sought Lord Byron). And Julius Fučík, who composed the march "Entrance of the Gladiators," now better known as a circus tune.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:53 pm
There is also Leos Janacek, known for "Sinfonietta", "The Cunning Little Vixen", "Taras Bulba", and another work who's name I can't remember.
i am sure there are a decent amount of czech composers...but the way you stated in the post by that user, it would be that the 1 is pavlovian and the others are secondary when it comes to trivia circuits
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I think seaborgium is saying #1 is Dvorak, #2 is Smetana (the answer to the 9-pointer).
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Not remembering Freddie Prinze, Jr. is going to keep me out of the final week. Anyway, thank you rjaguar3 and all of the other writers for doing this.
Last edited by Cat Hammarskjold on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Somehow I picked up from a classical music album that Moldau = Smetana, and that's all I know about him.
Thanks for the SHC.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:37 am
I think seaborgium is saying #1 is Dvorak, #2 is Smetana (the answer to the 9-pointer).
oh i see....weird...i know of smetana, but didn't get it...no idea why the german was used...i know that piece as vltava
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm Somehow I picked up from a classical music album that Moldau = Smetana, and that's all I know about him.
Thanks for the SHC.
would have got it had they not used the german title for the piece and used vltava....i am more familiar with vyshehrad than that one..when i went to uni in prague i lived in the area called vyshehrad
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:30 pm I have an irrationally strong desire to be in "You Are the Category" some year, but, unfortunately, I didn't take that into account when I chose my username.
I'm thinking your odds are better than mine :lol:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:53 pm
Oh geez, I forgot Franz Lehar. "The Merry Widow".
Douglas Squasoni
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm
DBear wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm Somehow I picked up from a classical music album that Moldau = Smetana, and that's all I know about him.
Thanks for the SHC.
would have got it had they not used the german title for the piece and used vltava....i am more familiar with vyshehrad than that one..when i went to uni in prague i lived in the area called vyshehrad
The clue I submitted was "The Moldau (Vltava)". I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Prague in May and crossed the Vltava several times. I went to a Prague Spring Festival concert at the Municipal House. We were told that the Festival always opens with a complete performance of Ma Vlast (that's not the concert I went to, though). Also went to the Dvorak and Smetana museums.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Thanks for the SHC.
The clue I submitted was "The Moldau (Vltava)". I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Prague in May and crossed the Vltava several times. I went to a Prague Spring Festival concert at the Municipal House. We were told that the Festival always opens with a complete performance of Ma Vlast (that's not the concert I went to, though). Also went to the Dvorak and Smetana museums.
sounds nice...wish they would have used your clue
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 pmThe clue I submitted was "The Moldau (Vltava)".
Thanks for the clue. :)
Anyone who hasn't heard Ma Vlast in general and "The Moldau" specifically is missing out IMHO:

Thanks to rjaguar3 et al. for SHC 2018! :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:44 am It looks to me like Birdman has 6 words following the title instead of 5. All the versions I can see call it "Birdman or (the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)"

I gave the answer of "Or the Virtue of Ignorance" and that's not the intended answer but it does use 5 words that complete the title of the film and they're all in the right order. If the clue had asked for a 6 word response I think I would have gotten it right.
When I wrote this, I figured everyone who got to Birdman would know the second part of the title started with "or", so I was looking for the 5 words that come after "or", which are the words that complete the title. Sorry for the confusion - I should have asked for everything after Birdman. I don't know how it was graded, but I wouldn't accept "or the virtue of ignorance". Anyone who added "or" for a 6 word answer should get credit

Oh, boy! I played the entire game thinking that wrong answers cost you the point value of the question, and not -1, -2, -3, -4, -5 :oops: