LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 »

Quantum wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 am If you enjoy science fiction, the Jemisin trilogy is an absolute masterpiece--supremely inventive and meaningful. The Hugo award is very well deserved.

(I was so confident on this one, that I entered "Mae Jamison," who is the astronaut of course. A case of unneeded information being wrong and sinking me.)
It's actually Mae Jemison, if you'd simply stuck to last name you could have been right despite thinking of the wrong person.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:09 am I noticed that PerryS's match yesterday had what must be the rarest of ties: 9(5)-9(5).
How about this one? From an A rundle match in a prior season: https://learnedleague.com/match.php?id=748648

More stats on rare ties in this thread: https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php ... st#p107347
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ricky Bobby cost me a perfect, could not dredge up Talladega at all. As penance, I've put it on the top of my Netflix queue.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Didn't know the Chopin Q, so I went with my boy Lizst. Surprised 11% went for Mozart, who died in 1791

I've got a lock on 25th place and I feel pretty good about that :)
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 am Ricky Bobby cost me a perfect, could not dredge up Talladega at all. As penance, I've put it on the top of my Netflix queue.
Shake and bake!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

acthomas wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 am Ricky Bobby cost me a perfect, could not dredge up Talladega at all. As penance, I've put it on the top of my Netflix queue.
Shake and bake!
If you ain't first, you're last.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I went 6 for 6! I wouldn’t have known Chopin except for a trip to Poland 🇵🇱 in July. He’s a huge hero there. I thought Talla was correct except I couldn’t think of a river in MS but I gambled.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I was born in Gainesville and grew up in Tampa. I've been to both the "old" and "new" state capitol buildings (which are right next to each other in the center of the capital city).

So for an embarrassingly long amount of time, the only Florida cities with long Native American names I could think of were Kissimmee and Micanopy. Eventually, I had to systematically go through a mental map of the state to come up with Tallahassee (and then Talladega).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

When I miss things like Scott Morrison being the PM of Australia, it makes me feel like I'm not a serious trivia player. Like, it's 1 page back in the Current Events thread. Why am I not reviewing that thing every night before I open the day's questions? It makes me mad at myself. Would have turned a tie into a win.

On the other hand, I am proud of myself for getting Masada, entirely from entering it into the J-Archive earlier this year. I thought I had picked it out to be a notable clue in one of my recaps, but that appears to not have been the case. If definitely made it onto a flash card around here somewhere, because I was pretty sure I had it, even if I wasn't entirely sure.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm Didn't know the Chopin Q, so I went with my boy Lizst.

I said Mahler on that one, based on a vague memory of some relation to "Death in Venice".
I'm smart and I want respect.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

After a rocky start to the season, things have turned around for me and after a 5(3)-1(2) victory on MD18, I am now 9-4-5 and jumped 3 spots into the promotion zone in Taiga E Div 1, with seven matches left in the season. Things are getting exciting, for sure.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I didn’t get any credit for knowing that SOMEONE replaced Malcom Turnbull as PM of Australia on August 24th, did you? I guessed The Trunchbull

Of course it was Toto! Darn it!

Another tie: 4(2)-4(3), which is still good for... 25th place
Volante

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 am When I miss things like Scott Morrison being the PM of Australia, it makes me feel like I'm not a serious trivia player. Like, it's 1 page back in the Current Events thread. Why am I not reviewing that thing every night before I open the day's questions? It makes me mad at myself. Would have turned a tie into a win.
Ditto...and I'm the one who entered Morrison! The whole -point- of the thread was so I wouldn't miss questions like that! But schemes, mice, Minis, you know how it goes...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
I'm so bad at pop music that I conflated it with the Looking Glass song, then stumbled into the right answer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Yes, me. That one was so in my wheelhouse that it's embarrassing. It was an obvious defensive three-pointer, too. How many people are going to remember Looking Glass? Doh!

Yet, despite this gaffe, I somehow managed a 4(3)-4(2) tie!

Anyone else disappointed the MCWA for Q5 was "nebula" rather than "nebulae?"
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm
Yes, me. That one was so in my wheelhouse that it's embarrassing. It was an obvious defensive three-pointer, too. How many people are going to remember Looking Glass? Doh!
Everyone who puts the the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 soundtrack on loop?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm
Weird. I don't watch superhero movies, so had no idea those movies had '70s songs in them. My wife would love that soundtrack.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Almost, but I thought about it for a minute, thankfully.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm
Weird. I don't watch superhero movies, so had no idea those movies had '70s songs in them. My wife would love that soundtrack.
She'll like the first movie's soundtrack as well.