Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by OrangeSAM »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:56 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 am For team names I would prefer it be Team Colby, Team Ken etc. after the captains and no punny pub trivia types.
So you'd be opposed to "Make Mine A Collins"?
To go really retro: The Colbys.
OCSam
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:58 am
NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:56 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 am For team names I would prefer it be Team Colby, Team Ken etc. after the captains and no punny pub trivia types.
So you'd be opposed to "Make Mine A Collins"?
To go really retro: The Colbys.
That team could be a real dynasty.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I'm a little late to the party here, but I do have some comments.

First, I think this is a terrible idea. To me, it feels like a TV show forcing a new baby on the show. Sure, that worked fine for "I Love Lucy" but look at, for example, shows like "Mad About You", "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and of course, the infamous Oliver on "The Brady Bunch" (sorry, Mark Barrett). This feels like a potential shark jumping moment. Do I really thinks it's THAT bad? No, J! is too established to be killed by a two week diversion rather than an ongoing change to the show. To me, this feels very different than the UToC (which I thought was good) and the BotD (which I was less sold on, but did enjoy watching).

Like many here, I'm not able to come up with a completely rational structure. I'm curious to see what it turns out as. To throw a spanner in the works, what if the finals is the members of the victorious team playing each other in order to name a single player as champion? Think about how that may affect your draft choices as captain. My personal view is that Roger Craig is the strongest players of the non-captains, but as a Captain you might think twice about picking him if you know you might have to face him to win whatever big money is available.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

After a little research, I see that my crazy idea of a team having to face each other in the finals is not what's going to happen.

I found this (which I'm sure many have seen):

How will the competition work?

Teams will return to Los Angeles in January 2019 to compete against each other head-to-head. Each three-person team will designate one player to play the Jeopardy! round, one to play Double Jeopardy! and one to play Final Jeopardy! Teams will be eliminated based on point totals, with the top three teams competing for a $1 million prize in a two-day final.

So, there will be 8 games played by the 6 teams followed by a two-day final. There are 6 choose 3 = 20 possible arrangements of the teams into 3 teams per game, so not all combinations will be played. Will they choose the teams in each game randomly or will they have some hidden agenda behind the choices? Each team will obviously play 4 games each. How will FJ wagering (and DD wagering) be affected by this structure? Winning a game in and of itself sounds like it's irrelevant. So, expect to see bigger DD and FJ wagers from all, especially as the tournament goes on and some teams start to realize that they're playing from behind.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't like this direction. The last few days, we've had a champion who strikes poses (I guess that's "character" these days) and it all seems so contrived and artificial. He's perfectly fine when he isn't trying to be a cartoon character.

This entire tournament seems to be yet another way to subject us to Buzzy and Austin, so it's natural that new players want to be remembered. Gah. Get off my lawn.

I'll treat the tournament as a hiatus, much like celebrity Jeopardy.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm The last few days, we've had a champion who strikes poses (I guess that's "character" these days) and it all seems so contrived and artificial. He's perfectly fine when he isn't trying to be a cartoon character.
Are we watching the same show? I don't get that impression from him at all.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

slam wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm After a little research, I see that my crazy idea of a team having to face each other in the finals is not what's going to happen.

Teams will return to Los Angeles in January 2019 to compete against each other head-to-head. Each three-person team will designate one player to play the Jeopardy! round, one to play Double Jeopardy! and one to play Final Jeopardy! Teams will be eliminated based on point totals, with the top three teams competing for a $1 million prize in a two-day final.

So, there will be 8 games played by the 6 teams followed by a two-day final. There are 6 choose 3 = 20 possible arrangements of the teams into 3 teams per game, so not all combinations will be played. Will they choose the teams in each game randomly or will they have some hidden agenda behind the choices? Each team will obviously play 4 games each. How will FJ wagering (and DD wagering) be affected by this structure? Winning a game in and of itself sounds like it's irrelevant. So, expect to see bigger DD and FJ wagers from all, especially as the tournament goes on and some teams start to realize that they're playing from behind.
I'm still hoping that "points" is not the same thing as dollars earned. Hoping rather that it's something like points earned for finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, either 3-2-1 or 5-3-1, something along those lines. Making winning the game a non-factor seems very suboptimal. I'm not sure how likely this is but until we hear the format I'm still hoping...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 pm
Anachronism wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm The last few days, we've had a champion who strikes poses (I guess that's "character" these days) and it all seems so contrived and artificial. He's perfectly fine when he isn't trying to be a cartoon character.
Are we watching the same show? I don't get that impression from him at all.
Agreed. Austin Rogers he is not.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:41 pm
slam wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm After a little research, I see that my crazy idea of a team having to face each other in the finals is not what's going to happen.

I'm still hoping that "points" is not the same thing as dollars earned. Hoping rather that it's something like points earned for finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, either 3-2-1 or 5-3-1, something along those lines. Making winning the game a non-factor seems very suboptimal. I'm not sure how likely this is but until we hear the format I'm still hoping...
Sure, that would probably produce a fairer scoring system, but how realistic is that? And J! already has examples where the value of winning a game is fully or partially erased. For example tournament QF’s reduce the value of winning and the first day of tournament Finals nearly eliminate the value of winning.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I don't have a problem with the normal QF system in tournaments, but I also don't like the idea of something happening like in the Teen Reunion tournament where there were 4 prelim games and then one finals. But yeah, TPTB do generally emphasize money won. It is the tiebreaker after number of games won to qualify for the ToC, but having slight leads going into FJ can inflate winnings since the leader usually wagers to cover. I should mention though that overall I do feel like the amount of money won pretty strongly correlates to skill level over a sample of 5 or more games for a player, as there weren't many bad snubs for the UToC, and at least half of those were due to the contestant who didn't get the invite winning only 4 regular games. But I don't want to have to see a leading contestant or team have to go for broke for the sake of 1 game.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

The tournament is a Wednesday-through-Tuesday, so it would not surprise me if it was set up in some sort of four-part 3-episode 3-episode 2-episode 2-episode fashion.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 am The tournament is a Wednesday-through-Tuesday, so it would not surprise me if it was set up in some sort of four-part 3-episode 3-episode 2-episode 2-episode fashion.
Or that they will do something like spread two games worth of content over three games, filling the dead time with puff segments and retrospectives.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 am The tournament is a Wednesday-through-Tuesday, so it would not surprise me if it was set up in some sort of four-part 3-episode 3-episode 2-episode 2-episode fashion.
Or that they will do something like spread two games worth of content over three games, filling the dead time with puff segments and retrospectives.
Although I can see their motivation for doing that, wouldn't that mean that single games would spread over two days? Even with the change in players serving as some sort of demarcation to make that almost plausible, I would doubt that they'll do that.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

In the land of crazy, could they play games "horizontally" rather than "vertically"? By that I mean that on the first day, they would have two SJ rounds which would feature all 6 teams (though just 1 player from each team). Then on the second day, they would play two rounds of DJ and FJ.

I don't like this idea, and I doubt they'd do it this way, but you never know.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

I'm with the several like minds on here and Reddit that this is certainly a confusing format. 6 teams, 10 games? I've been trying to make sense of it ever since I first heard about the tournament and I just can't.

As for the contestant selection, very excited to see a lot of my favorites returning. I do think some certain players were definitely snubbed in favor of players with less of an iconic representation. Arthur Chu is the most obvious snub, and I think everyone here has expressed dissent on that. Dan Pawson was another serious omission, given how he won his BOTD game and his TOC, two things Larissa didn't do (although she 100% deserves to be there). Russ Schumacher is another omission I wasn't a fan of. Dude won his TOC and made it to the semifinals in the BOTD (beating Larissa too). I don't know, there's some questionable choices but I'm very excited to see David Madden and Leonard Cooper go at it again. I remember Madden's streak when I was a kid and I've been eager to see him on again and was disappointed that he turned down the BOTD.

I'll be rooting for my three favorite fellow ladies the most: Larissa, Julia, and Pam. They're the most likely to be able to win and the show needs a female icon rather than the same ol' Brad, Ken, and Roger (though I hope they do well too of course).

Alex Jacob could definitely be a dark horse as well.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

slam wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 pm I'm a little late to the party here, but I do have some comments.

First, I think this is a terrible idea. To me, it feels like a TV show forcing a new baby on the show. Sure, that worked fine for "I Love Lucy" but look at, for example, shows like "Mad About You", "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and of course, the infamous Oliver on "The Brady Bunch" (sorry, Mark Barrett). This feels like a potential shark jumping moment. Do I really thinks it's THAT bad? No, J! is too established to be killed by a two week diversion rather than an ongoing change to the show. To me, this feels very different than the UToC (which I thought was good) and the BotD (which I was less sold on, but did enjoy watching).

Like many here, I'm not able to come up with a completely rational structure. I'm curious to see what it turns out as. To throw a spanner in the works, what if the finals is the members of the victorious team playing each other in order to name a single player as champion? Think about how that may affect your draft choices as captain. My personal view is that Roger Craig is the strongest players of the non-captains, but as a Captain you might think twice about picking him if you know you might have to face him to win whatever big money is available.

usa tv lacks trivia based games...there are basically only 2 on american tv right now...they should turn this into its own tv show and not put it as part of the regular show....sux having to watch youtube to get a fix of more than 1 hour a day in this country
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

finishemzoe wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:35 am I'm with the several like minds on here and Reddit that this is certainly a confusing format. 6 teams, 10 games? I've been trying to make sense of it ever since I first heard about the tournament and I just can't.

As for the contestant selection, very excited to see a lot of my favorites returning. I do think some certain players were definitely snubbed in favor of players with less of an iconic representation. Arthur Chu is the most obvious snub, and I think everyone here has expressed dissent on that. Dan Pawson was another serious omission, given how he won his BOTD game and his TOC, two things Larissa didn't do (although she 100% deserves to be there). Russ Schumacher is another omission I wasn't a fan of. Dude won his TOC and made it to the semifinals in the BOTD (beating Larissa too). I don't know, there's some questionable choices but I'm very excited to see David Madden and Leonard Cooper go at it again. I remember Madden's streak when I was a kid and I've been eager to see him on again and was disappointed that he turned down the BOTD.

I'll be rooting for my three favorite fellow ladies the most: Larissa, Julia, and Pam. They're the most likely to be able to win and the show needs a female icon rather than the same ol' Brad, Ken, and Roger (though I hope they do well too of course).

I'm not sure anyone is a dark horse in this field. Seems crazy to say that about a player who had maybe the most dominating TOC win in history. Closest to dark horses are probably Leonard, Monica, and Jennifer, the other 15 players would almost certainly all be very high on a list of the greatest J! players of all time.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:44 am
finishemzoe wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:35 am I'm with the several like minds on here and Reddit that this is certainly a confusing format. 6 teams, 10 games? I've been trying to make sense of it ever since I first heard about the tournament and I just can't.

I'm not sure anyone is a dark horse in this field. Seems crazy to say that about a player who had maybe the most dominating TOC win in history. Closest to dark horses are probably Leonard, Monica, and Jennifer, the other 15 players would almost certainly all be very high on a list of the greatest J! players of all time.
That's actually a really fair point, lol. Ken and Brad (and Roger?) seemed to be the frontrunners but I only said Alex because he doesn't really have supertournament experience. The biggest wildcard for me would have to be Madden.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

no draft in game discussion?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

and mr irrelevant...well in this case...ms. irrelevant is.....jennifer