Monday, September 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH ROYALTY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In September 2017 Prince Charles became the longest-serving Prince of Wales, passing the man who became this king

Rob Salerno: 6200-6195=5
William Benson: 8400-7601=799
Nancy Schoppa: 7600-4000=3600 (new champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Edward VII (Rob – King George Edward VI) (William – Edward VIII) (Nancy – George IV)

Daily Doubles
Nancy: 4800-1200
William: 4200+4200
Nancy: 5600+2000

Coryats
Rob: 6200
William: 5400
Nancy: 8800

Combined: 20,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Rob: 2600
William: 2200
Nancy: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players went to GALAPAGOS last which guaranteed all 30 clues seen in the J! round while time had to made up in DJ! and five clues worth $8400 went unplayed.

Sons of the Desert being matched to this comedy duo had stumper written all over it and the players served up the trash for viewers. It was mostly an ugly game and the 0/3 on the FJ! clue completed it.

I matched the response of one person on stage. Fortunately, that was Alex as he would not need the correct response in front of him to know it and while royalty is not my favorite area I knew how to connect from V to E.

Nancy made the magic 4000 wager work in her favor today.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Well, it's not like they ever go to some form of British royalty as a subject so how could three contestants ever be expected to know who followed Queen Victoria?? :D

(Rob and William had the right name - but seriously, guys?? - while Nancy at least went with someone who actually spent some time cooling his heels as Prince of Wales).
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

$18,800 and a :oops:. Picked George V, who was the son of Edward VII. Boo hiss indeed.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm while Nancy at least went with someone who actually spent some time cooling his heels as Prince of Wales).
I haven't done the math, but it looks like Edward VII doesn't beat George IV by much. Not a bad guess at all (except for, y'know, the part where it's wrong).
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 pm Picked George V, who was the son of Edward VII. Boo hiss indeed.
I did the same.

TIL baby dolphins have moustaches.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I figured out it was the guy after Victoria.

I knew it went Edward / George / Edward, with the last one being Edward VIII. I, an allegedly smart man, knew it was two kings before that, and so subtracted 2 from 8 and said Edward VI. Oops.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Golf

Post by Golf »

In the first round, with a full category left and the DD uncovered, they went straight to the top of the board.

In DD, William seemed to go DD hunting and was immediately successful. Then, to his credit, made it a TDD and was successful. But for some reason, he continued on in that category even though there was still a DD still out there.

Rob obviously gave the game away with his FJ wager, and Nancy didn't seem to give any thought to her three wagers.

Without timing the rounds, it seemed that the first round lasted longer than DJ. TPTB naturally weren't going to trim any of the video clues saved for last, but perhaps then made up for it in DJ.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Galapagos: Plants & Animals (1), Company Car (2), It Can't Get Much Worse (5), Fashion Head to Toe (3), Words From the Comics (3), "For" Cast (4)
poetry (3), River Words (1), "In", the Middle (3), Government & Politics (1), Painted Ladies (2), I'm a Huge Fan! (4)

Lach Trash: Diamonds are Forever, Hurricane Hugo, alpinist, Laurel & Hardy

I didn't realize it was referring to Victoria's successor until the end of the music, and I put down George V even though I knew he wasn't her immediate successor.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I wonder sometimes -- if a video clue is left covered, could/would/do they recycle the unused clue at a later date (say, in a potpourri category)? Or would there be some reason why that wouldn't be possible (possibility of the clue's content being leaked, for instance)?

Regardless, it's quite frustrating to see so many clues left covered. (Especially high-value clues in interesting categories.)

I was quite happy with myself for getting FJ and continuing my streak in that regard; my book of cute poems about the monarchs saved my butt yet again. Not-so-great Coryats lately -- 23,200 and 33 R / 3 W today, even with a good bit of Trash collection -- so I'll take what I can get.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 pm $18,800 and a :oops:. Picked George V, who was the son of Edward VII. Boo hiss indeed.
Same. "Oh, it's the one who came after Victoria. Lessee... Elizabeth...George 6...Edward 8...George 5...Victoria." *scribbles down George V* "Nice little clue, just the right number of steps." (30 seconds later) *headdesk*

And thus ends the story of my first FJ miss of the new season.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My knowledge of the line of British royalty isn't great, but I do know the order from Victoria to the present (if not all the years), and it was easy to determine that the clue was simply looking for who took the throne after Victoria.

I thought Buster Brown was pretty obscure for the second box in WORDS FROM THE COMICS, but I got it anyway. I figured the $1,000 was "Li'l Abner" and responded accordingly, but "Barney Google" felt plausible to me as well.

I had to catch myself to avoid turning V for Vendetta into a Sue Grafton title.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Ooof, those wagers.

LT: Diamonds Are Forever, Hurrican Hugo, Federal Reserve Note
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

In the UK, schoolchildren learn a rhyme which lists the monarchs of England/UK starting with William the Conqueror. About a decade ago, we had some British friends visiting us with their two teenage kids. The older kid taught me the rhyme and I occasionally refresh my memory on it. It's amazing how many J! clues over the years have been made trivial by simply knowing the rhyme. And there have even been a few FJ's which have been TS's, like this one, which I just get instantly because of the rhyme.

There are various versions of the rhyme, but here's one:

Willie, Willie, Harry, Stee,
Harry, Dick, John, Harry three;
One, two, three Neds, Richard two
Harrys four, five, six... then who?
Edwards four, five, Dick the bad,
Harrys twain and Ned the Lad;
Mary, Bessie, James the Vain,
Charlie, Charlie, James again...
William and Mary, Anna Gloria,
Four Georges, William and Victoria;
Edward seven next, and then
George the fifth in 1910;
Ned the eighth soon abdicated
Then George the sixth was coronated;
After which Elizabeth
And that's the end until her death.

It also can help with J! clues to remember that the Cromwells were between the Charlies and Lady Jane Grey was briefly between Ned the Lad and Mary.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 pm My knowledge of the line of British royalty isn't great, but I do know the order from Victoria to the present (if not all the years), and it was easy to determine that the clue was simply looking for who took the throne after Victoria.

I thought Buster Brown was pretty obscure for the second box in WORDS FROM THE COMICS, but I got it anyway. I figured the $1,000 was "Li'l Abner" and responded accordingly, but "Barney Google" felt plausible to me as well.

I had to catch myself to avoid turning V for Vendetta into a Sue Grafton title.
Buster Brown may have been obscure to you, but it's not at all obscure to someone my age (maybe 25 years older than you are). I saw endless Buster Brown commericals as a kid with him and his dog Tige.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:39 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm while Nancy at least went with someone who actually spent some time cooling his heels as Prince of Wales).
I haven't done the math, but it looks like Edward VII doesn't beat George IV by much. Not a bad guess at all (except for, y'know, the part where it's wrong).
Right; I know that George IV isn't a bad guess - just that Queen Victoria was pretty famous as the longest reigning British monarch - until QE II recently passed her. So yes, Nancy's wasn't a bad guess. And Rob and William apparently knew it was an Edward - but anyone playing really has to be able to get the monarchs in proper order since Victoria's reign. Of all the categories they love for FJ, it seems like the easiest one to memorize.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

20,400 coryat. Normally I'd think that's too low, but it's bang on with the combined coryat for the game.

"Words From The Comics" is a category I should hope to see if I ever get on the show (as my avatar should attest). I'm less aggrieved at the Buster Brown triple stumper than the Sad Sack stand-and-stare.

The two questions left uncovered in "Painted Ladies" had me yelling at the screen.

Second longest reigning Brit Monarch (Victoria) + her heir = Edward VII. During think music, worked backwards from QEII to double check the regnal number.
I would prefer not to.