Monday, September 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Monday, September 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Diamonds are Forever, Hugo, Honda, (Albatross), Succulent, Flinch, Alpinist, Latinate, Federal Reserve, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Instagot Ed VII and spent the rest of Think Time second guessing the regnal number. In a real-world situation, would I have stuck with my initial answer? I hope so....
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

William could have won if he had just been slow on FJ. Regnal numbers are probably the only plausible scenario in which an incorrect response can become correct simply because the respondent runs out of time. (I just can't imagine an occasion where the FJ answer would be Guinea and a player would think Guinea-Bissau, or Dominican Republic/Dominica, or Mendel/Mendeleev.)
OldSchoolChamp
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

slam wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 amBuster Brown may have been obscure to you, but it's not at all obscure to someone my age (maybe 25 years older than you are). I saw endless Buster Brown commericals as a kid with him and his dog Tige.
I’m Buster Brown;
I live in a shoe.
That’s my dog Tige—
He lives in there, too.

Advice to prospective Jeopardy! contestants: Know your British monarchs. If you don’t know them, learn them. I knew as soon as the clue was revealed that it would be a triple stumper, and that Rob would kick the game by overbetting. If he’d wagered $2201, enough to cover both other players if they missed but small enough to stay ahead of their shutout residues, he would have won.

When will they ever learn?
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

"Words from the comics" was a good category for me as well.

But, in an interesting aside, Kryptonite did not originate in the comic books, but on the radio version of The Adventures of Superman. Turned out that Bud Collyer, who voiced Supes, wanted a vacation, so they invented the substance that weakened him. He was stuck in a mine somewhere moaning for two weeks (substitute voice, of course) while Lois, Jimmy, and the gang tried to figure out where he was.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 pm My knowledge of the line of British royalty isn't great, but I do know the order from Victoria to the present (if not all the years), and it was easy to determine that the clue was simply looking for who took the throne after Victoria.
Hold on there, Quickdraw! I also immediately thought it would have to be the son of someone who reigned a really long time, but that included both Victoria and George III (60 years---sheesh!). I thought George IV was a very plausible guess for those of us who don't know too much about royalty.

LT: Sad Sack (I know--really old comics reference); succulents, Alpinist, and Laurel and Hardy.

And I guess (once again) it helps to be of a certain age to think that "Sons of the Desert" is far from obscure. L&H were an Instaget for me.

My four TS scoops gave me a mere $4600 in Lach Trash, but (together with wagering and losing only $800 on FJ) I ended up with $3,800 from the Fourth Podium, the lowest score I ever had that still won the game from that imaginary location. Small whoop.

And what's the deal with that clue about hotel staff and mints? I've had "turn-down service" on many a pillow without a mint being involved. But that's another story.

I'm frankly shocked to see Rob bow out so meekly after his first win was so strong. Now to see if Nancy can show that her one win was not a fluke.

All in all this was a very disappointing ending. Rob should have won on a triple stumper if all three had wagered properly and missed FJ. Of course he would have lost anyway, in reality, because Nancy over-wagered. Yeah, let's hope Tuesday's game is better.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:46 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 pm My knowledge of the line of British royalty isn't great, but I do know the order from Victoria to the present (if not all the years), and it was easy to determine that the clue was simply looking for who took the throne after Victoria.
Hold on there, Quickdraw! I also immediately thought it would have to be the son of someone who reigned a really long time, but that included both Victoria and George III (60 years---sheesh!). I thought George IV was a very plausible guess for those of us who don't know too much about royalty.
George IV was the second best response. But I also knew enough about British royalty to know that Elizabeth II recently surpassed Victoria for the longest reign.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Judges: latinine for latinate?

Easy peasy FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was working late yesterday so I didn't have time to watch until just now.

Surprisingly, I ran the Fashion category and It Can't Get Much Worse.

Just a few hours ago, I learned that Toyota makes the Tacoma thanks to the country song "Blue Tacoma". But I STILL brainfarted and said Chevrolet.

"Oh, those MAGNETIC poem thingies... what's an adjective for those? I dunno." Derp.

Royalty is one of my biggest weakspots. It always dissolves into a mishmash of first names and Roman numerals that I can never even begin to keep straight, so I was completely lost.

Massive amounts of Lach Trash for me: Buster Brown, Sad Sack, Hurricane Hugo, cringe, Laurel & Hardy, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:24 pm "Words from the comics" was a good category for me as well.

But, in an interesting aside, Kryptonite did not originate in the comic books, but on the radio version of The Adventures of Superman. Turned out that Bud Collyer, who voiced Supes, wanted a vacation, so they invented the substance that weakened him. He was stuck in a mine somewhere moaning for two weeks (substitute voice, of course) while Lois, Jimmy, and the gang tried to figure out where he was.
I turned to my brother during the episode and (in a voice imitating NPR's Glen Weldon imitating Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons) said, "but it actually made its first appearance on the 1940s Superman radio program." :lol:
I would prefer not to.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm
George IV was the second best response. But I also knew enough about British royalty to know that Elizabeth II recently surpassed Victoria for the longest reign.
I know that as well. However that is only part of the question. The fact that QEII has the longest reign certainly doesn't necessarily mean that her firstborn was the heir apparent/PoW longer than Victoria's firstborn.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

OldSchoolChamp wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:41 pm
slam wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 amBuster Brown may have been obscure to you, but it's not at all obscure to someone my age (maybe 25 years older than you are). I saw endless Buster Brown commericals as a kid with him and his dog Tige.
I’m Buster Brown;
I live in a shoe.
That’s my dog Tige—
He lives in there, too.

Advice to prospective Jeopardy! contestants: Know your British monarchs. If you don’t know them, learn them. I knew as soon as the clue was revealed that it would be a triple stumper, and that Rob would kick the game by overbetting. If he’d wagered $2201, enough to cover both other players if they missed but small enough to stay ahead of their shutout residues, he would have won.

When will they ever learn?
OSC - I've been making points about FJ wagering for a long time. And I think the answer to your question is after they figure out where have all the flowers gone.
Last edited by slam on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

John Boy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 am
I know that as well. However that is only part of the question. The fact that QEII has the longest reign certainly doesn't necessarily mean that her firstborn was the heir apparent/PoW longer than Victoria's firstborn.
John Boy: Your point is certainly well-taken. However, if George VI (following George III's reign of 60 years) is the correct response, doesn't that invalidate the logic that gets a contestant to the correct response? The logic goes: Charles has been PoW for so long because his mum has been queen the longest. And since she recently passed Vicky's tenure, that meant that Charles just passed the other guy's tenure. Who succeeded Vicky? That's my response.

I think expecting the contestant to then think, but wait, Eddie VII was probably not PoW for her entire reign since she became queen very young and he was born to a reigning queen. What what about other long-tenured rulers? Well, George III was king for 60 years extending long after those upstart Americans told him to take a hike. How long was his successor PoW? Maybe George IV is the right answer, but without exact knowledge of the terms, it's hard to tell. I just don't think that TPTB would intentionally create this sort of ambiguity. Of course, TPTB sometimes give an FJ clue with issues, but it's fairly uncommon.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

slam wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:56 am
John Boy: Your point is certainly well-taken. However, if George VI (following George III's reign of 60 years) is the correct response, doesn't that invalidate the logic that gets a contestant to the correct response? The logic goes: Charles has been PoW for so long because his mum has been queen the longest. And since she recently passed Vicky's tenure, that meant that Charles just passed the other guy's tenure. Who succeeded Vicky? That's my response.

I think expecting the contestant to then think, but wait, Eddie VII was probably not PoW for her entire reign since she became queen very young and he was born to a reigning queen. What what about other long-tenured rulers? Well, George III was king for 60 years extending long after those upstart Americans told him to take a hike. How long was his successor PoW? Maybe George IV is the right answer, but without exact knowledge of the terms, it's hard to tell. I just don't think that TPTB would intentionally create this sort of ambiguity. Of course, TPTB sometimes give an FJ clue with issues, but it's fairly uncommon.
Good post.

Strange as it is to say, I also wonder if gender differences in fertility across the lifespan might nudge one toward the right answer, given these two choices.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That's basically the point I wanted to make. Thanks for sparing me the trouble of putting it into words.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of Victoria, a question from Wednesday's Millionaire:

Spoiler
Victoria Millionaire.png
Victoria Millionaire.png (243.7 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I'll give this dead horse one more kick. It depends not only the length of the parent's reign, but also on how long was it after coronation that the monarch produced an heir. Either one (Victoria or G3) could have ascended to the throne and had a son already by that time, or not until years later. Certainly possible, yes?

I know that Charles was already born before QEII's coronation, but I honestly don't know the sequence (which was first: coronation or birth of a son) for either G3 or V. And I don't think I could have dredged all that up in 30 seconds even if I knew it, so I just went with the one I knew: G4 followed G3. Honestly could not have told you who succeeded Victoria.

And now the horse is dead and buried.

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 30,800
43 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Hurricane Hugo, Honda, albatross (DD), succulent, cringe, alpinist, Federal Reserve
slam wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 am There are various versions of the rhyme, but here's one:

Willie, Willie, Harry, Stee,
Harry, Dick, John, Harry three;
One, two, three Neds, Richard two
Harrys four, five, six... then who?
Edwards four, five, Dick the bad,
Harrys twain and Ned the Lad;
Mary, Bessie, James the Vain,
Charlie, Charlie, James again...
William and Mary, Anna Gloria,
Four Georges, William and Victoria;
Edward seven next, and then
George the fifth in 1910;
Ned the eighth soon abdicated
Then George the sixth was coronated;
After which Elizabeth
And that's the end until her death.
I tried to memorize this rhyme several times to no avail, and it bit me today. I figured out that it must have been Victoria's successor, but I forgot about Edward VII and jumped to George V. Back to the rememberization...
Sprinkles are for winners.