Tuesday, October 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 »

The category name is fine. "Hyphenate" is commonly used in the parlance of show business and in other fields like sports. Does anyone really think "People with hyphenated names" would be a limitation they would put on a Final Jeopardy category? Daniel Day-Lewis is the only hyphenated name I can think of with regard to the Oscars, and in terms of the clue offered he is most famous for his historic number of Best Actor wins, making him an especially poor guess.

I was annoyed that we didn't get to see the last clue in the Broadway Cast category. I'm also annoyed by Doug's antics, which seem calculated in a way that Austin Rogers's did not.
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

Okay, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to misunderstand the FJ category. I guess I can chalk that up to not hearing that word every day.

I did manage to get kind of on the right track, but I erred in thinking The Artist was the 2012 Oscar Winner instead of Argo (one year off) and I nearly hit a dead end. I did make the 1997-Good Will Hunting connection, but since time was almost up at that point, I just went with Matt Damon.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

I went down the “hyphenated names” road as well; I eliminated Daniel Day-Lewis early. Only one other hyphenated name came to mind, though - so despite a high level of confidence that Jan-Michael Vincent was not the correct response, onto the paper it went.

Here’s an interview with Kirsten on NTV, the local television station in NL - on which Newfoundlanders and Labradorians could watch Kirsten’s performance, as the show airs on that channel at 8:00 pm local time (equivalent to 6:30 pm Eastern).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 pm I'm betting the category elicited a reaction of "wtf" from many.
Could be; I don't think it's ever shown up before. But actor-writer or actor-producer doesn't seem that difficult to suss out.
So that's what they meant by the category. Wouldn't have made that connection in a million years. I knew Daniel Day-Lewis had won for acting, so the only other person I could think of was Joseph Gordon-Leavitt.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:29 pm
bigblue999 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:20 pm Misleading FJ. The contestants were obviously going for an actor with a hyphenated name.

Looked up google and saw another definition of hyphenates:

"a person who is active in more than one occupation or sphere"

Perhaps they could have come up with a better category name like "Oscar Winners" for example.
Except two contestants didn’t write anything and Doug decided to blow it off. So who knows what they thought?
Possibly the same thing I thought: The only hyphenated actor I can think of is Daniel Day-Lewis and there is literally no way to be MORE wrong than guessing Day-Lewis when the clue specifies he's never won an acting Oscar. There's no point in writing anything else down. My best bet is to think until the very last second and hope the right response is really short for a hyphenated name.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm
danspartan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Not sure of the exact definition, but hiw bet was too big. Surely the intent is to stay above 1st's cover bet if he misses. It just seems so obvious there is no advantage from him not to stay above 6,000 in this situation. (so the 2nd place player SHOULD bet small-is that what is meant?).
In the specific context of Shore's Conjecture, a "small" bet is any bet by second that keeps third place locked out.
Ah, then there needs to a corollary that says don't drop below 1st's cover bet miss. Otherwise the whole thing is missing the point to bet to give the best chance to WIN THE GAME.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:39 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm And I'll grant that Oscars is a tougher category that it might otherwise seem, given that there are close to 100 years of Oscars with 5 (or more) nominees in each of the big categories. Still, they tend to focus on winners in the past 40 years so it's at least a tad more manageable than some other popular categories.
I would say that had they called the category OSCAR WINNERS and not OSCAR HYPHENATES that the get rate would have been at least 10-20% higher (in that 10-20% of people will probably go down the Daniel Day-Lewis street.)
would definitely have got it had they just had oscar winners as the title of the category...had no idea multiple jobs is what hypenates indicated
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Wheelhouse category...precalled Day-Lewis.

Instaget, but then again is this literally as deep in wheelhouse as J! goes.

And yes, the "hyphenate" aspect is beyond confusing. In fact, it made me take about 1 secpmd to answer the question, rather than 0.5 seconds.

And then I thought they were referring to the fact that Affleck's last name is actually Affleck-Boldt, a very obscure piece of trivia (far more obscure than his Oscar wins). That really made me think the category title was dirty pool. Only reading here did I realize that hyphenate has other meanings.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Worst-Category-Name-Ever :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:39 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm And I'll grant that Oscars is a tougher category that it might otherwise seem, given that there are close to 100 years of Oscars with 5 (or more) nominees in each of the big categories. Still, they tend to focus on winners in the past 40 years so it's at least a tad more manageable than some other popular categories.
I would say that had they called the category OSCAR WINNERS and not OSCAR HYPHENATES that the get rate would have been at least 10-20% higher (in that 10-20% of people will probably go down the Daniel Day-Lewis street.)
Second that...or whatever we're up to. "Well, 2012 was Argo...but who the heck won that has a hyphenated name?" If I wasn't so distracted by the category, probably would've figured it was Affleck. Never heard of the term 'hyphenate.'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Duchamp is a blind spot, you could've given me all day and I wouldn't have got him. But Liberty Leading the People? Easy peasy.
Threw out Ron Howard for FJ just to have something. Veterans of this board already know my thoughts on the category.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

According to Jboard lore, Kirsten was dead as soon as she corrected Alex during the interview segment. I was trying to figure out which prime minister she met and the one that made most sense was Paul Martin. Stephen Harper left office too recently to be the one in her story, and I can't imagine she could talk to Jean Chretien in English for the length of that flight and not recognize him. If it was someone from before that, then she must be older than she looks.

Both the contestants and Alex botched the pronunciation of primer, which is pronounced primmer when used to mean a basic textbook, and pronounced with a long i to mean primer paint or the primer in a gun.

Why hasn't Courtney Thorne-Smith ever won an Oscar? Maybe I will use her for my next TD.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Count me as another person confused by the FJ category. I knew who the Screenplay Oscar in 1997 went to, but it took me about 25 seconds to assume they didn't need a hyphenated response. Glad I'm not alone.
davey

Post by davey »

jev15 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 pm The category name is fine. "Hyphenate" is commonly used in the parlance of show business and in other fields like sports. Does anyone really think "People with hyphenated names" would be a limitation they would put on a Final Jeopardy category? Daniel Day-Lewis is the only hyphenated name I can think of with regard to the Oscars, and in terms of the clue offered he is most famous for his historic number of Best Actor wins, making him an especially poor guess.
I agree. I knew exactly what the category was getting at. Didn't help me get to the right pictures or think of Affleck, though. The best I could do was Mel Brooks.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Chalk me up as another who didn't get the category. All I could think of was Daniel Day-Lewis, but knew that couldn't be it. This may be the first time the category was more difficult than the actual clue!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Canucks don’t have their own version of J! to appear on? I didn’t see “Hyphenates” when watching because I fast forwarded since I had to make it to pub trivia on time (spoiler alert:we won again!) so that might have helped me get Aflac. I was surprised at some of the misses already mentioned plus the one about One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. I wonder if that lil spin actually go viral. I hope not just because it’ll only encourage more.
davey

Post by davey »

I guess we don't have a lot of Variety readers around here... :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Santa Maria was HUGE negbait on Ships for $200.

I usually do well in animal categories, but got only top and bottom in J! round Zoo.

Ran Portuguese and Weird Al.

Why wasn't "classicism" BMS'd?

Add me to the pile of people who thought that "hyphenate" meant "actor with hyphenated name". It didn't help that I thought that terms like "actor-director" used slashes, not hyphens. I legit had no guess on this one.

Lach Trash: Nostalgia, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm I guess we don't have a lot of Variety readers around here... :roll:
New Clue? Spew!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Nostalgia, Charlotte Amalie, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Canasta, Rococo, Liberty, Marcel Duchamp

Silly Kirsten, even I could recognize Stephen Harper.
Douglas Squasoni