What Determines For Whom You Root on Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: What Determines For Whom You Root on Jeopardy?

Post by Anachronism »

I root for the show. I'm worried every year is Alex's last year (especially with his unfortunate injury history) and that he will be replaced by someone more political.

I'm more for a "peaceful" experience, for lack of a better word. I find it easier to lose myself in watching. With the exception of football, Jeopardy makes up more than half of my current TV diet. I like it to relax me. I root against anyone whose politics I know. Entertainment and politics don't mix well.

So I root for champions who don't annoy me. It may seem trivial to a lot of you, but anyone who does any kind of pantomime in the introduction I will root against. I root against backtalk. I root against Forrest-bouncers, because the limited camera makes it hard to see the category. I root against teeth-suckers, lip-smackers and especially throat-clearers, because that really interrupts the question flow. I tend to root for women because their voices are usually more even and they are less likely to aspire to Austinhood. I tend to root against older contestants, for the opposite reason. I root against anyone who would consider choosing a celebrity-read clue before everything else has been read.

Basically, the trivia is the star of the show, and if I see some interesting people along the way, that's a nice bonus. But those who think they are interesting often aren't.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I'll add that, as someone else said, I tend to root for anyone not from one of the usual professions (e.g. college professor, librarian, lawyer). If a contestant says he/she is an electrician or bartender, they automatically become my guy/gal.

Also any contestant who calls for a sports category first. For some reason, those are usually the last ones left on the board. Most Jeopardistas just don't seem to like sports trivia, but it's in my wheelhouse.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

acthomas wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:29 pm
irene wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:57 pm
  • Don't care for bow ties and will usually root against the wearer of a bow tie, all else being equal.
This is my acknowledged game show prejudice, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why all the parents who dress their kids for game shows (Whiz Kids Week on Millionaire being the main one) think that the bow tie is the way to go.

I swear this feeling predated the broadcast of Young Sheldon.
What are your thoughts on ascots?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I value quiet and efficient accuracy. Grandstanding, affectations, or any behavior that adds down time between clues is a turnoff for me.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm for anything that makes the game interesting. I couldn't stand Ryan Fenster at first, but I ended up rooting for him after he repeatedly dug himself out of deep holes in DJ, wanting to see if he could do it again.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:46 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am Gays, girls, then everybody else

And if you keep winning, I’m going to start rooting for your challengers. Runaway games are boring!
What would you do if a gay girl went on a long winning streak?
Haha, my head would probably explode!
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 pm
  • Don't care for bow ties and will usually root against the wearer of a bow tie, all else being equal.
This is my acknowledged game show prejudice, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why all the parents who dress their kids for game shows (Whiz Kids Week on Millionaire being the main one) think that the bow tie is the way to go.

Show me a contestant wearing one and I'll show you a winner at life.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

acthomas wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:54 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Show me a contestant wearing one and I'll show you a winner at life.
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6275
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

1. Anyone who has a name like "Prairie Rose."
2. Everyone else.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

I root for the "underemployed:" Folks with low-paying jobs or no-paying jobs. I always root for "stay at home moms and dads" and "homemakers." I root for mail carriers, bartenders, fire lookouts, cashiers, police officers,secretaries, etc. I rooted for Brad Rutter who worked in a vintage record store (do they still have those?). Austin Rogers was/still is a bartender. Does anyone remember the mail carrier from one of the first seasons who won five games and was in the TOC? And how about Frank Spangenberg, the NYC transit cop, also from the early years. What a champ!

After that, I root for people over 50 (love the current champ Alan, who is 59) and people from my little hometown of New York City, especially Brooklyn.